HOW TO ROOT WITH HBOOT 2.18.0001 s-on 2.3.5...+ s-off revolutionary

Search This thread

jcthelight

Dec 31, 2010
Man this sucks it used to take me less than five mins to root an Evo now its gotta be difficult only real reason for me to root is flashing roms so now with the newest update have to go thru all this bs to root guess I won't be rooting thats if someone lives near wilkesbarre pa. thats used this new method pm me please? Thanks

Tekn010933

Thanks! The instructions were to unlock the hboot, and then after the reboot, flash a custom recovery but because it's hanging, I can't get into fastboot usb to flash the custom recovery. Hind sight, I should have waited till there was a full walk through with links to the files needed for the rooting process and only trusted these forums. About a year ago, I rooted an old evo I had through these forums and these are the only ones I will trust. Any help would be much appreciated.
It's going to hang if you Did not Mount the SD card.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

Man this sucks it used to take me less than five mins to root an Evo now its gotta be difficult only real reason for me to root is flashing roms so now with the newest update have to go thru all this bs to root guess I won't be rooting thats if someone lives near wilkesbarre pa. thats used this new method pm me please? Thanks
I think this would be best for those who bought out with this bootloader 2.18/v2.3.5, but for rooted ones NEVER take an OTA update until XDA has approved it.

And for those who choose not to go back to v2.2 froyo can use this 4.53 to by pass that and use Revolutionary root method if needed renam it PC36IMG and flash from HBoot.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcthelight

jcthelight

Dec 31, 2010
It's going to hang if you Did not Mount the SD card.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

I think this would be best for those who bought out with this bootloader 2.18/v2.3.5, but for rooted ones NEVER take an OTA update until XDA has approved it.

And for those who choose not to go back to v2.2 froyo can use this 4.53 to by pass that and use Revolutionary root method if needed renam it PC36IMG and flash from HBoot.

Ok so I unlocked my bootloader can't I just Run the Ruu that has the 2.16 Bootloader its the same as the file you mentioned?

Tekn010933

Right at the step where u rename zip to flash from hboot to go back to 2.2 I think, put this in place so u will be 2.3.3 instead.
But do follow through on the guide in the OP to eliminate mishaps, great guide by the way save me some time :)

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium

Last edited:

jcthelight

Dec 31, 2010
Right at the step where u rename zip to flash from hboot to go back to 2.2 I think, put this in place so u will be 2.3.3 instead.
But do follow through on the guide in the OP to eliminate mishaps, great guide by the way save me some time :)

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium

Ok can't seem to get thru this part.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>cd\androidsdk\tools

C:\AndroidSDK\tools>adb shell
$ su
su
# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
/sdcard/flash_image: No such file or directory
#
I moved those 2 files unzipped to the root of my sd card. Am I missing something else? Thanks.

Tekn010933

$ su
su
#
I moved those 2 files unzipped to the root of my sd card. Am I missing something else? Thanks.
I think your tools are in c:\android? if I am not mistaken going step for step with this guide, or did you set it up different locations?

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer

$ su
su
#
You can't have the SD card connected to the PC in Disk Drive mode when you're trying to run adb commands on it. The phone has to be connected in "Charge only" mode, with USB Debugging enabled.

raidercruz

Feb 11, 2012
Hate to bother anybody but I need help!

I really do do my homework before embarking on anything I am not an expert on so kind of embarrassed to ask for help but here goes.

I had rooted our EVO 4G's (my wife and I) last summer. I had to unroot to take hers back due to charging plug issue. They replaced it and she wanted root again. I saw there were issues until I found this thread so I tried today after reading thru everything.

I was able to unlock with HTC Dev and get all the way to Step 20. Once I tried to Flash su-bin-3.0.3.2-efghi-signed.zip her phone never booted all the way thru. It stayed in a constant boot. Now when I go to the boot menu it gave me issues on the PC36IMG saying nothing found. So I downloaded the File in this thread and it reads it, it Parses, asks me if I want to update, I do, then it asks me if I want to reboot. If I select yes it goes into the Bootloop. I tried a couple of different ROMs and nothing works.

Can someone please help me out? Been doing this for about 9 hours with no progress and my wife is pretty angry with me right now. If I can even just get a stock image on it I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
I really do do my homework before embarking on anything I am not an expert on so kind of embarrassed to ask for help but here goes.

I had rooted our EVO 4G's (my wife and I) last summer. I had to unroot to take hers back due to charging plug issue. They replaced it and she wanted root again. I saw there were issues until I found this thread so I tried today after reading thru everything.

I was able to unlock with HTC Dev and get all the way to Step 20. Once I tried to Flash su-bin-3.0.3.2-efghi-signed.zip her phone never booted all the way thru. It stayed in a constant boot. Now when I go to the boot menu it gave me issues on the PC36IMG saying nothing found. So I downloaded the File in this thread and it reads it, it Parses, asks me if I want to update, I do, then it asks me if I want to reboot. If I select yes it goes into the Bootloop. I tried a couple of different ROMs and nothing works.

Can someone please help me out? Been doing this for about 9 hours with no progress and my wife is pretty angry with me right now. If I can even just get a stock image on it I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks
You can find the stock 4.67 PC36IMG file at the bottom of the first "My Links" link in my signature. Just rename to PC36IMG, put on root of SD card, and try flashing in bootloader. If that works, you'll then have to reflash a custom recovery. You can use the PC36IMG file I attached in this post to do that (recovery is RA-supersonic-v2.3). Then you can try flashing the superuser binary again.

Attachments

• PC36IMG_RA_v2.3_HBOOT_2.18_4.67.651.3_mainver_S-ON_ONLY.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 216
Last edited:

raidercruz

Feb 11, 2012
Getting closer but not there yet

Thanks for the response. Ok, so followed the directions and it seems that it reads the PC36IMG file better (I get a Blue Progress on the right) it still BootLoops however when it restarts. I can't get to Recovery menu now, however so I tried a command prompt and ran the
"fastboot flash recovery recovery-RA-supersonic-v2.3.img" here is the response:

C:\Android>fastboot flash recovery recovery-RA-supersonic-v2.3.img
sending 'recovery' (3544 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.030s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 1.529s]
finished. total time: 2.558s

when I select Recovery it just BootLoops.

I have my EVO and what I have been doing is taking her SD card and using it in mine to load whatever files I need but for some reason I can't get the phone to get to recovery now to load from zip. Is there a way to do from command prompt?

Thanks again for the help!

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
Thanks for the response. Ok, so followed the directions and it seems that it reads the PC36IMG file better (I get a Blue Progress on the right) it still BootLoops however when it restarts. I can't get to Recovery menu now, however so I tried a command prompt and ran the

OKAY [ 1.030s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 1.529s]

I have my EVO and what I have been doing is taking her SD card and using it in mine to load whatever files I need but for some reason I can't get the phone to get to recovery now to load from zip. Is there a way to do from command prompt?

Did you try flashing the stock ROM first to see if that helped, or did you only flash the recovery?

Tekn010933

OKAY [ 1.030s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 1.529s]

post 22, have you tried that 4.53.zip rename it to "PC36IMG" and flash from HBOOT since there is no recovery?

I Ran this guide til I got to where it says to go back to 2.2? Didn't really "didn't" like that timezone so I just use this zip after flashing mtd.eng and boot.img steps in the OP with recovery CWM5.0.2.2blue, and ran it from HBOOT screen. when done I removed CWM and replace it with 2.3Armon_ra and restore my nand backup.

Last edited:

raidercruz

Feb 11, 2012
Thanks everybody.

I ended up taking the phone back to the Sprint Store. I had a friend who helped me out and just replaced it. I don't think I'll be doing this again. The steps seemed easy enough but I guess I don't know enough to be doing this. Thanks again to everyone who answered and tried to help. It was appreciated but I figured if they could just get me a working phone then I was good.

Take care, you guys do a great job on this site!

2.3.3, 2.16 with this tutorial

Running 2.3.3, 2.16

Want to avoid using Revolutionary but still get s-off.

Can I use this method without going 2.3.5 first? (Every method i've seen for 2.3.3 employs Revolutionary to get s-off) Or, is there a method I haven't found for 2.3.3, 2.16 that doesn't require revolutionary?

More detailed post here, my welcome post - may have chose a bad place to start.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Tekn010933

Running 2.3.3, 2.16

Want to avoid using Revolutionary but still get s-off.

Can I use this method without going 2.3.5? (Every method i've seen for 2.3.3 employs Revolutionary to get s-off) Or, is there a method I haven't found for 2.3.3, 2.16 that doesn't require revolutionary?

More detailed post here, my welcome post - may have chose a bad place to start.

Thanks!
Curious why avoiding the root method?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You CAN Root the new Hboot, and you don't need s-off. (strictly for those who don't know and need help)

thanks to the cwm team for there beautiful recovery, and chainsDD for SU

1. head over to htc dev
    http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/

2. create a account or sign in (you must use your real email address)

3. go to unlock bootloader

4.Select "all other supported Models"

5.Follow the directions and install all the software provided and you will end up with a unlocked bootloader with s-on

6. enter FASTBOOT again on your phone

7.open the command prompt again on your pc

8.Download this recovery from the CWM TEAM and place it in the same folder as fastboot (where you put unlock_code.bin)
    http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.2-supersonic.img

9. for simplicity's sake rename the above file to recovery.img

10.in your command prompt navigate to the folder containing your fastboot files and recovery.img

11.enter the following in the command prompt:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

12. Once that completes navigate to recovery on your phone and pres power to select it

13.once CWM recovery boots on your phone use the volume up and down to pick Mounts and storage press power to select it

14.select Mount usb storage

15.take this zip and drag it to the root of your SD card
    http://goo-inside.me/superuser/su-bin-3.0.3.2-efghi-signed.zip

16. on your phone press power to un mount your usb storage

17. select go back

18.select install zip from sd card

19.choose zip from sd card

20.select the su-bin-3.0.3.2-efghi-signed.zip file we just downloaded and press power to flash

21. reboot the phone

22.once your phone is booted go to the market and search superuser

23.download and install superuser

24. search busy

25. use one of the busybox installers and install busybox (hit allow on the su notification)

26.enter superuser, press the menu buton on your phone, select preferences, then scroll down to su-binary

27.hit update, and allow the prompt, if all the output is in green then you have full root congrats!!!

For Those who wish to take it one step further and achieve s-off revolutionary or unrevoked
    I give credit to Captain_Throwback over at themikmik.com for this...
    this process will format your phone I recommend running a program like titanium backup and syncing your contacts to google before you go any further

28.reboot your phone, and enable usb debugging

29. place these 2 files, unziped on the root of your sd card
    http://themikmik.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5377&stc=1&d=1327588554
    http://themikmik.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5378&stc=1&d=1327588554

30.set your phone to charge only

31.open the command prompt on your pc and navigate to the same folder as your fastboot files in the step above
    for example: cd c:\android-sdk\platform-tools\

32. type the following into the command prompt pressing the enter key at the end of each line:
    Code:
    adb shell
    you should get a dollar sign
    Code:
    su
    you should now get a pound sign
    Code:
    Code:
    chmod 755 /data/flash_image
    Code:
    /data/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img

33.now set your phone to disk drive mode and place this zip on the root of your sd card (do not unzip)
    http://www.4shared.com/zip/Cf3g-3lV/PC36IMG_SuperSonic_S_Sprint_WW.html

34.rename the above file to PC36IMG

35. set your phone to charge only

36.at this step you have 2 options you can pull the battery of your phone and put it back in then hold volume down and pres power to enter the bootloader or you can go back to your command prompt and type the following:
    Code:
    exit
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

37.when your bootloader is done loading press volume up to flash the PC36IMG.zip

38 your phone will reboot the bootloader once durring this process, dont be alarmed just wait for it to finish, when done it will ask you to press power to restart the phone

39 when done remove the PC36IMG file from your sd card

40. congratulations you are now back to stock 2.2 froyo evo 4g

41. you may now root and get s-off using the Unrevoked method found here:
    http://unrevoked.com/

42. If you would rather use the revolutionary method run this ruu on your pc:
    http://goo-inside.me/supersonic/ruu...15.00.05.02_NV_2.15_release_199233_signed.zip

43.now you can use the revolutionary method
    revolutionary.io

Note original post for s-off found here:
    http://themikmik.com/showthread.php...18-HBOOT-with-HTCDev-com-No-More-Watermark!-"

note if you get stuck with a locked oww Hboot and it wont flash the PC36IMG you may use taco root to gain temp root then use steps 29-39 to unlock your bootloader to flash the PC36IMG
    http://www.acsyndicate.net/taco-root-for-htc-phones-gives-perma-root-for-all-htc-phones/
    Nice guide, but you should really encourage flashing of RA recovery instead of CWM. It's just way more reliable on the EVO 4G.
    I DO want to flash a custom rom. Any idea which is good for this EVO?

If you need working FFC (front camera) and WiMax (4G), you will need to use one of the many Gingerbread (2.3.x) ROMs avaiable for the EVO 4G since drivers for the FFC and 4G radio have never been made available for Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.x) or Jelly Bean (4.1.x). There are a number of Gingerbread ROMs based on HTC Sense and many others based on CyanGenMod which is based on AOSP (Android Open Sense Project). If you just want a rooted version of the lastest Sprint stock ROM, download the file from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1671395, copy the file 5.07.651.1_Supersonic_Stock_Rooted_CPTB_v2.3-DEODEXED.zip to the EVO's sdcard, boot into recovery, and install from zip file to flash the ROM. If you would like a custom ROM but still prefer HTC Sense, download Elousions 3 from http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38213798, copy the file [Rom]TN_Elousions_3_OTA_5.07.651.6_Deoxed_Blue_Theme.zip to the EVO's sdcard, boot into recovery, and install from zip file to flash the ROM. If you want an AOSP ROM without the Sense interface, download the file from http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33700013, copy the file Jellybread1.4.zip to the EVO's sdcard, boot into recovery, and install from zip file to flash the ROM.

You can find a number of custom ROMs available for the HTC EVO 4G listed at http://evo4g.roms-db.com/all-builds/ Remember that EVO 4G ROMs based on either Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean cannot support the front camera or 4G (WiMax) due to lack of drivers for the corresponding hardware on the EVO 4G. I happen to like HALO Series II Nova http://xdaforums.com/show...903469&page=33 and AlienMOD Solar Flare Series V http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2086163 with the exception that I am experiencing some tint issues with camera applications in these ROMs.

Before you begin experimenting with various ROMs for your EVO 4G, I recommend that you replace ClockworkMod Recovery with Smelkusmod which has a reputation for wiping memory more reliably which is crucial to flashing ROMs successfully. Smelkusmod Recovery is available at http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1661543 and is easily installed by copying the downloaded zip file to the root directory of the EVO's sdcard, renaming the file PC36IMG.zip, rebooting the EVO into recovery, allowing the bootloader to detect PC36IMG.zip, and confirming the installation of the new recovery module. Once you have installed Smelkusmod Recovery, the file PC36IMG.zip should be removed from the sdcard.

You will also need to consider partitioning the sdcard before installing most Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean ROMs as a number of these ROMs will not install properly without an sd-ext partition formatted with ext3 or ext4 file systems. You can read an explanation of sdcard partitioning at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1158993. If you opt to partition your sdcard, do not forget to copy the entire contents of the sdcard to an empty folder on your computer first since partitioning will destroy all data on the sdcard! I recommend either a 512 MB extended partition (sd-ext) for 8GB sdcard or 1024 MB extended partition for 32 GB sdcard and formatting the sd-ext partition with the ext3 file system as this configuration will work with Gingerbread as well as ICS and JellyBean ROMs. Once you have partitioned and formatted the sdcard, copy the original contents of the sdcard from your computer to the newly formatted sdcard.
    Thanks! The instructions were to unlock the hboot, and then after the reboot, flash a custom recovery but because it's hanging, I can't get into fastboot usb to flash the custom recovery. Hind sight, I should have waited till there was a full walk through with links to the files needed for the rooting process and only trusted these forums. About a year ago, I rooted an old evo I had through these forums and these are the only ones I will trust. Any help would be much appreciated.
    If you can confirm your bootloader says you're unlocked, you can try removing whatever PC36IMG.zip file you have on your sd card, and put the one I'm attaching to this post there instead. It should get picked up by the bootloader. It's for RA-supersonic v2.3.
    I actually even tried "recovery.img.img" Because I figured that could've been the problem. I'll give it another go tonight.
    If that doesn't work, you can try flashing recovery using the method in this post: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=22113435

Current ROM (BootManager Slot 2): Deck-ICS-EVO Pre-Beta 7