ALL LTE discussions here, where, when, how fast!

Search This thread

iSaint

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix, Maryland
So there is no LTE in the DC/MD area? I thought there was....dang. Ill be up there this weekend on vacation and was hoping to test it out

Just got a little taste of 4g in Maryland near hunt valley
no signal 5 mins away at my home though :mad:
Anyways here's some screenies from my gnex

47f64979-1b75-0ae2.jpg

47f64979-1bb7-9f57.jpg

47f64979-1bc4-ce4c.jpg

47f64979-1bd2-400a.jpg

Pissed there's no signal at home though my so called Verizon high speed internet is only 3Mbps :(
Pay no attention to server crap on speedtest its wrong

htown89

Jul 12, 2011
Houston,Tx
Houston,Tx

Just called sprint today because by my work on 290 and beltway 8 this morning had full bars the no bars then it was going to 3g to no data too roaming. So i called sprint and they said they were glad i called about this area because if i never have called they would have never know there was a issue over here. And i also noticed a Cellphone tower right by job since he told me. And the person that helped me put this as a urgent matter and was sending support out to fix this problem ASAP and in order to escalate the problem i had to speak to his supervisor. All in all i was shocked to hear how sprint was quick and courteous they were to resolve the problem. Maybe that's what we need to do as a customer of sprint is to report these problems ...? ..

jhuff83

Jun 15, 2010
I made a small donation to S4GRU and now have access to the interactive maps. I'm not premier which allows upcoming dates of when towers will be going live etc.

.Bambino

Nov 3, 2010
Charm City
Got some of LTE last night and this morning. Goes in and out here and there. Can't post screenies yet but it was fast. Got the best signal downtown.

Teczeus

May 19, 2010
San Antonio TX
I live in San Antonio tx and I get spotty 4g around town. I went tire C.C. TX this weekend and on the way back on 37 north I got the best 4g ever except it was by Poth which is like 40 minutes out firm S.A. in the middle of nowhere...uploadfromtaptalk1345409166929.jpg

From the milky way galaxy... 3 dimensions...time irrelevant!

1BadHEMI

Dec 8, 2010
Pasadena
Baltimore is on...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1345460303023.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1345460303023.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 452

suavethekid

Oct 26, 2010
Denver Colorado--Sprints official answer between 2 months and 2 years. So there's a possibility that at worst I will already be up for a new upgrade before LTE is even usable...:crying:

Reactions: thabigj

needspractice

Mar 17, 2008
Have no idea why they moved all threads to here.

Has anyone been able to figure out how to froce LTE only without root? I could care less about phone calls so don't be a dork and say but you would lose your phone capability. Like no duh pal. I don't care.

Also does anyone know how to get there MSL Code from there phone without root with the new secuirty messures in place. All the old ways are not working any more. Have any new ideas or ways? I want to be able to get MSL Code to possibly put phone in LTE Mode only.

Seems like LTE is pretty shotty in Atlanta. Not impressed. Sprint that is. I live in a 3 story house and have to go to the top floor for the phone to stay on LTE and not switch to 3G. Its so stupid. If I go to a lower level the phone switches back to 3G even though I have seen that LTE is still strong but might not be as strong as 3G but 4G is still faster on the weaker signal if I happen to catch it just right.

It's like they do not want many people on the LTE signal unless the signal and conditions are perfect.

boomerbubba

Jul 20, 2010

Has anyone been able to figure out how to froce LTE only without root? I could care less about phone calls so don't be a dork and say but you would lose your phone capability. Like no duh pal. I don't care.

Also does anyone know how to get there MSL Code from there phone without root with the new secuirty messures in place. All the old ways are not working any more. Have any new ideas or ways? I want to be able to get MSL Code to possibly put phone in LTE Mode only.

Seems like LTE is pretty shotty in Atlanta. Not impressed. Sprint that is. I live in a 3 story house and have to go to the top floor for the phone to stay on LTE and not switch to 3G. Its so stupid. If I go to a lower level the phone switches back to 3G even though I have seen that LTE is still strong but might not be as strong as 3G but 4G is still faster on the weaker signal if I happen to catch it just right.

It's like they do not want many people on the LTE signal unless the signal and conditions are perfect.

For the sake of clarity, have your applied the LG8 update that optimized the GS3's threshold for LTE connections?

needspractice

Mar 17, 2008
Yes I have applied all over the air updates. Is that the one you are talking about? I have not found a manual one on the web yet. I believe the phone has had 3 over the air updates since out of the box.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium App

ButtaKnife

Feb 13, 2009
Yes I have applied all over the air updates. Is that the one you are talking about? I have not found a manual one on the web yet. I believe the phone has had 3 over the air updates since out of the box.

My phone didn't apply the LG8 update right away - I had to flash that manually. I think I had already rooted my phone by the time it prompted for the update, so it couldn't install the OTA. Double-check your version by going to Settings -> About device and check the Baseband version. If it ends in LG8, you're up to date, otherwise you're missing some fixes for LTE signal thresholds.

Last edited:

boomerbubba

Jul 20, 2010

I don't think everyone has gotten the latest version (L710VPLG8) pushed OTA. It's easy to check. Look under Settings -> About device -> Baseband version.

a454nova

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 4, 2008
Aurora, CO
www.a454nova.com
Denver Colorado--Sprints official answer between 2 months and 2 years. So there's a possibility that at worst I will already be up for a new upgrade before LTE is even usable...:crying:

Denver, Colorado will start seeing LTE in about 1 year. Next Summer. No way will you see it in 2 months, no way will it be 2 years. Giving the big window there... You must of got that from calling Sprint. ;)

I can see how it helps, need the same thing done for "I hate Sprint" or "Sprints 3G suck" too!

All you need is your MSL ( You can normally get by calling Sprint.) and ##3282#. You only need root if you wanna get your MSL yourself.

Last edited:

needspractice

Mar 17, 2008
I checked my baseband and guys know that I have a Galaxy Nexus. I couldn't post anywhere else because the LTE thread police were out. But for my Nexus the end of my Base band is FG01 so I do not know if that is different than the Galaxy S III. I'm gonna be pissed if I don't have the LTE update.

How do I update to the LTE ROM without flashing? Is there an update .zip file I can download and just apply like a factory update?

As far as getting my MSL Code I will try those suggestions and let you know. They will give it to if you call?

Anyone else experiencing these problems with the Galaxy Nexus?

Amen brother about Sprint 3G! We need assistance!

a454nova

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 4, 2008
Aurora, CO
www.a454nova.com
I checked my baseband and guys know that I have a Galaxy Nexus. I couldn't post anywhere else because the LTE thread police were out. But for my Nexus the end of my Base band is FG01 so I do not know if that is different than the Galaxy S III. I'm gonna be pissed if I don't have the LTE update.

How do I update to the LTE ROM without flashing? Is there an update .zip file I can download and just apply like a factory update?

As far as getting my MSL Code I will try those suggestions and let you know. They will give it to if you call?

Anyone else experiencing these problems with the Galaxy Nexus?

Amen brother about Sprint 3G! We need assistance!

Your not going to find to much about the Nexus around here... Your updates are going to be best found in your own forums. Sprint Galaxy Nexus. Looks like FG01 is the latest.
If your scared of the LTE police. Head to S4GRU.com. That's what they are all about. As for the MSL, sometimes they just give it, sometime it requires some conversational engineering. Might take a few calls. You gotta find out the options for your phone tho. I quoted for the GS3.

As far as Lte in the DFW area... We are looking good around here. I added some pics bellow. :D
Speed Test done from Southlake/Grapevine Area. The crappy part of course... the pin is where I live, which will be the last to get it. lmao

Attachments

• WebImageStream10.gif
    WebImageStream10.gif
    36.8 KB · Views: 339
  • Screenshot_2012-08-11-18-15-29.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-08-11-18-15-29.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:

formuk

Mar 25, 2010
Arlington, TX
Here are the speeds I'm currently getting in Arlington, TX
Off i20/Great Southwest Parkway

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-08-21-00-47-31.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-08-21-00-47-31.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 370
Reactions: a454nova

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That sucks. our Dallas LTE thread was closed and now were stuck in a General. Personally i would prefer to have a thread with each city so i can focus on my issues and location not a general every LTE discussion..
    Hope the Moderator who closed our Dallas LTE thread is reading and will open ours back up.
    I know I've said this to some folks before but for the new ones posting... the reason you are probably seeing slower speeds are due to the weak 4G signal. Your signal bars on your Android (non-CM) phone show the 1X voice/sms connection strength not the 4G LTE signal. You could be connected to a site across the street with a nice -50 signal showing all bars, but your 4G signal is barely hanging on at -120 pulling 1 megabit. Just the nature of the beast with Sprint letting us use the signal instead of sitting on the ready cell sites like other carriers do and firing them up all at once.

I recommend the Signalcheck Lite or Pro application. It allows you to see the actual signal numbers in your status bar of both the 1X voice/sms and LTE or EVDO connection at all times. https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wMiwiY29tLmJsdWVsaW5lLnNpZ25hbGNoZWNrbGl0ZSJd

More info: Bars Lie for LTE Signal Strength! How to determine your actual LTE signal strength
    I've read many many many studies explaining why Wi-Fi is more battery efficient than LTE. Its a known fact from my understanding of these hard data studies.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

It depends. How old are these studies, and which chipset did they use? With SoCs older than our Snapdragons, LTE was a huge battery drain, especially compared to Wifi. However, the Snapdragon S4 chip has a much more efficient LTE radio than previous SoCs, and therefore, less battery drain.

I'm sure Wifi is more battery efficient than LTE, even on our S3s. The question is "How much more efficient is it?" And the answer I've received (from myself and many other S3 users) is, "not noticeably". Considering that LTE is a lot closer to Wifi technologically than it is to EVDO, along with general advances in LTE technology, that shouldn't be a surprise.

Technology "studies" can become invalidated very quickly with the current pace of technological progress, much more so than medical or environmental studies. There have been lots of "studies" that say Android is riddled with malware, even though most folks you'll meet in your life will never experience Android malware, and the ones who do may as well have sought out the malware purposely, because you practically have to try to get infected.
    I sure hope you're not abusing your lte speeds... Otherwise those speeds won't last long.

give it 6-12 months as more cities get lte. it's only a matter of time before the abusers and people with no consideration start bogging the network which sprint in turn will implement a 1-2mbit/s cap. lets hope instead they start throttling the abusers.
    The exception here being that Sprint never promised anything. All of those dates they stated were estimates, which were given to them by the subcontractors (Alcatel/Lucent, Samsung, and Ericsson). It clearly stated that in the small print as well. A little reading never hurt anyone.

EDIT: www.sensorly.com is your best friend for determining 4G LTE coverage

obviously if i knew harrisburg had active 4g, i clearly knew about sensorly. A little deductive reasoning never hurt anyone.

saying that Sprint never promised anything is a really lame point. I never demanded that the rollout be 100% completed by December, all i did was voice major disappointment over the fact that the rollout date went from December, to January, to February, to Spring. That is the difference between reading and reading comprehension.