Need advice for expectations on Nook HD for very un-tech savy father

Search This thread

Dillsnik

Nov 29, 2006
My 73 year old dad is a proud new owner of a new Nook HD tablet. I am not sure if the gift was a mistake for him because it's just too big a leap of technology at this point. He just asked me, what is WiFi? Lol. I also unfortunately bought this with very little knowledge myself of nook and their OS, so that doesn't work in our favor either.

I still think there's going to be at least a few things he'll be able to do on it that will make his life better. My main thoughts are: reading, playing bridge, checking email, Facebook, browse the web. Any other easy things he "should" do on it, I would love to hear.

Since I won't be able to help support this very much after I set it up for him, I am wondering what experienced users on this tablet recommend doing with it visa vi setup? Should I leave it stock or flash an android ROM to it? Whatever is going to function the best and not cause him to deal with ANYTHING he might have to troubleshoot is what I think would be best for him. He's obviously going to be confused at times, and I just want to be able to show him how to do as many basic things as possible that keeps him using the device and makes it something useful for him.

Any advice at all greatly appreciated, since I don't own a nook myself educating me to help him will go a long ways for him too.

Thanks for your time!

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

project37

Nov 2, 2010
Honestly, if your dad is not tech savvy then I'd suggest leaving it as stock. It's a perfectly fine tablet as is for an entry-level use, certainly enough to read, check e-mail/Facebook, browse web, etc.

Plus if anything goes wrong with it, then he can always take it in to a B&N store and they can troubleshoot for him without any confusion about ROMs and such.

jpisini

Nov 26, 2011
Weymouth
My 70 year old mother-in-law has a Nook HD Plus and has no issues now. She was a bit confused at first but now she gets it. She rarely asks me anything now. I left her stock she doesn't know it can run faster and if there are any issues I don't have to worry about her walking into a Barnes and Nobel with a rooted system.

GMTN

Jul 6, 2012
My 73 year old dad is a proud new owner of a new Nook HD tablet. I am not sure if the gift was a mistake for him because it's just too big a leap of technology at this point. He just asked me, what is WiFi? Lol. I also unfortunately bought this with very little knowledge myself of nook and their OS, so that doesn't work in our favor either.

I still think there's going to be at least a few things he'll be able to do on it that will make his life better. My main thoughts are: reading, playing bridge, checking email, Facebook, browse the web. Any other easy things he "should" do on it, I would love to hear.

Since I won't be able to help support this very much after I set it up for him, I am wondering what experienced users on this tablet recommend doing with it visa vi setup? Should I leave it stock or flash an android ROM to it? Whatever is going to function the best and not cause him to deal with ANYTHING he might have to troubleshoot is what I think would be best for him. He's obviously going to be confused at times, and I just want to be able to show him how to do as many basic things as possible that keeps him using the device and makes it something useful for him.

Any advice at all greatly appreciated, since I don't own a nook myself educating me to help him will go a long ways for him too.

Thanks for your time!

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I set one up very recently for a friend's dad who had suffered a stroke . I've set up countless Android tablets but not a nook before. I basically left it stock but I installed Nova launcher prime as I didn't like all the junk BN had put on the home screen. I didn't like the carousel and I didn't like that you could not create folders on the screen. After installing the launcher, I left on the home screen a five day HD weather widget, an internet folders containing Chrome and one other back up browser, Facebook, email, radio and you tube. a second folder with various type of games. Third folder with reading apps which could access his e-books. There is nothing else he need to know about. Showed him to press the n button should he find himself in a strange page or settings.