wtf just happened to my phone's usb port?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Whosdaman

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 9, 2008
Gainesville, Florida
Eh...I take phones apart regardless Korey ;)

I'm known for my courtesies, but I'm definitely tough on liquid damage; regardless if it's causing the issue or not, I'm not about to send an LD phone back to the warehouse for refurb, so that some poor sap gets stuck with it later.

Because we all know how good the warehouse is at refurbing phones :p

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Yes, there are a few of us that will take apart the device and check around. There is a board level liquid indicator too. And as for warehouse refurbs, they suck constantly. I believe it's because of misdiagnosis though. They can't fix a problem with a phone if they don't know what wrong

superbeast0

Nov 3, 2011
INdianapolis
If you haven't just gotten very lucky from sprint about replacement..two things one and it's weird but works..drop phone in dry rice overnight..it absorbs any water from phone..then make sure that moisture tags aren't on the phone by battery connector..no expert by any means but this website and it's members have saved my hide many many times with tips and tricks..hope this helps.

I love finding rice inside a phone, makes my job so much easier. I dont know how it actually gets in there....but it does. Take apart the housing and out pops a bunch of rice is a sure fire way to get your phone flagged for an Asurion claim. Using the AC is a much bettery method. Put it near an AC vent for 1-2 hours. The ac will draw moisture out of the device.

Reactions: emod0705

IAmSixNine

Aug 24, 2010
Dallas
www.falkenmobile.com
No, you put a little bit of water on your screen and it created a short somewhere that effected the charging port. Let me guess ... you conveniently failed to tell the customer care Rep that you were cleaning the screen with water when the charging port stopped working.

Defect by the manufacturer? Seriously? Does anyone take personal responsibility for anything anymore?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Very well said. My thoughts exactly.

superbeast0

Nov 3, 2011
INdianapolis
If your liquid indicator isn't tampered with and is still white, and you remove all signs of liquid contact. You can have a replacement done at a Sprint store for $35, or you can send it to Samsung for repair for free. Unfortunately Samsung will take apart the phone and see there is probably liquid damage. Sprint stores won't take apart your phone for a charging port malfunction due to it being a board level issue.

Really? What tech doesn't open the phone for a charging issue? My guess is a bad one.

wotan2525

Nov 16, 2011
I was in Mexico last week and while trying to get out of a boat, my phone took a pretty decent splash of salt water. I pulled the battery immediately and there was no water inside but the charging port did get corroded (I'm assuming this was exaggerated by the salt water.)

I'm now experiencing the same symptoms as the OP. I can see visible green corrosion on my charging port but am hoping that I can clean this up. The really odd thing is that it charges fine and has no problems with a 3rd party charger but the OEM charger triggers car-dock mode and doesn't always start charging.

Just out of curiosity -- I will not be warranting this phone -- I don't see any sign that the white water sensor has been triggered on my battery. Where is there another sensor on this phone that is visible without dis-assembly?

Whosdaman

May 9, 2008
Gainesville, Florida
Besides, charging port is board level and cannot be repaired by 99% of stores. There is only 2 United Cellular stores that have training for soldering. One is in Texas, and the other is in Alabama.

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
Cant believe this thread is still alive.. man up for putting water on your phone, and to the guy dropped it in salt water.. YOU did it.. its not a defect, it is a mechanical problem but it was caused by the USER.. if you dropped it in water honest mistake, the OP clearly intentionally put water on his phone like an idiot.. i really hope he couldnt get an exchange for trying to scam sprint.. its people like you why they have these policies in place... hope you learned a lesson and that is to never put waterand soap on an electronic device.. especially if its on. You probably blew the whole charging port out the phone LOL

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

flexte

Sep 9, 2007
I have been on this site for years and rarely post but I noticed something today and it made me laugh more than the OP. being a construction manager and owning a cleaning company I deal with tons of customers and contractors on a daily basis. I am around liars and dishonest people all the time. Just wanted to congratulate the Folks at XDA for being so damn honest. It seems when anyone posts a thread about trying to cheat the system to get a new phone, everyone here becomes an angel.

Whosdaman

May 9, 2008
Gainesville, Florida
I have been on this site for years and rarely post but I noticed something today and it made me laugh more than the OP. being a construction manager and owning a cleaning company I deal with tons of customers and contractors on a daily basis. I am around liars and dishonest people all the time. Just wanted to congratulate the Folks at XDA for being so damn honest. It seems when anyone posts a thread about trying to cheat the system to get a new phone, everyone here becomes an angel.

Ironic isn't it? Lol

wotan2525

Nov 16, 2011
and to the guy dropped it in salt water.. YOU did it.. its not a defect, it is a mechanical problem but it was caused by the USER.. if you dropped it in water honest mistake,
Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

Hmm.... I didn't drop it in water. It was splashed with water. Like... less than a tablespoon. I wiped all the water off with my hand. But... it got in the charging port and I'm not trying to blame anyone, just point out that I had the same symptoms.

Not everyone on here is trying to pull a fast one. I'm going to fix this myself and was just looking for information. Lighten up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    the failure of the USB port is directly attributable to a defect by the manufacturer.

No, you put a little bit of water on your screen and it created a short somewhere that effected the charging port. Let me guess ... you conveniently failed to tell the customer care Rep that you were cleaning the screen with water when the charging port stopped working.

Defect by the manufacturer? Seriously? Does anyone take personal responsibility for anything anymore?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    Soap and water? I lol'd.
    If your liquid indicator isn't tampered with and is still white, and you remove all signs of liquid contact. You can have a replacement done at a Sprint store for $35, or you can send it to Samsung for repair for free. Unfortunately Samsung will take apart the phone and see there is probably liquid damage. Sprint stores won't take apart your phone for a charging port malfunction due to it being a board level issue.
    $35 is no problem. however, I still have CWM on there. How can I factory reset and give up root? I have done the factory reset but the phone is not officially reset...

Doesn't matter. Sprint will still repair a device that is rooted. It's their policy. Samsung might void the warranty of the device if you send to them with a custom bootloader, though you could make a strong argument that the software has nothing to do with the charging port.

Eh...I take phones apart regardless Korey ;)

I'm known for my courtesies, but I'm definitely tough on liquid damage; regardless if it's causing the issue or not, I'm not about to send an LD phone back to the warehouse for refurb, so that some poor sap gets stuck with it later.

Because we all know how good the warehouse is at refurbing phones :p