[Q] CM11 Snapshot m7 screen corrupted

Search This thread

Drakomorh

Feb 2, 2011
I come from the Snapshot m6, I try install the Snapshot m7, first without problems but when it passed a few hours, my screen was corrupted:
show Attach Files

If I reboot it, I can use it until it is locked again and the screen it fails again… the mobile works, I can use de actions from buttons or I can listen how it is unlocked

I think it is a problem with de GPU or battery, It doesn’t have any problem when it is plugged with USB.

Yesterday the battery didn't down to 30% and I didn't have any problem.

In this moment I'm using the nightly of 01/07/2014.

Regards.

Attachments

• IMG-20140702-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20140702-WA0000.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 94

ChungHung.Chen

Dec 13, 2010
HsinChu
I come from the Snapshot m6, I try install the Snapshot m7, first without problems but when it passed a few hours, my screen was corrupted:
show Attach Files

If I reboot it, I can use it until it is locked again and the screen it fails again… the mobile works, I can use de actions from buttons or I can listen how it is unlocked

I think it is a problem with de GPU or battery, It doesn’t have any problem when it is plugged with USB.

Regards.

I have exactly same problem here.
Tested from CM11 20140628 ~ 0701, problem still exists.
I've noticed that this problem happens when I connected to HDMI.
If screen go off ( timeout or manually ), screen will corrupt when I bring it on.
Force reboot is the only solution.

EDIT: Link this post to CM11 discuss thread.

Last edited:

my2cents

Jul 24, 2010
California
I had this issue as well with 6/27 or 6/28. It happened to me after I unplugged the HDMI cable. I assumed it had something to do with that...

ChungHung.Chen

Dec 13, 2010
HsinChu
I had this issue as well with 6/27 or 6/28. It happened to me after I unplugged the HDMI cable. I assumed it had something to do with that...

Is your screen off when you unplugging the HDMI cable?
I've noticed that if your screen were off when HDMI connected, screen will corrupt.
No matter HDMI cable is connected or not.

Mathieu2k4

Oct 22, 2011
On stock rom, did hdmi was detected even if not plugged in? I think it's related, some kind of hardware failure. There might have a commit on the new builds which brings back this failure on cm11. I remember on cm10 i had a screen rotation app to set it in portrait mode.

Drakomorh

Feb 2, 2011
On stock rom, did hdmi was detected even if not plugged in? I think it's related, some kind of hardware failure. There might have a commit on the new builds which brings back this failure on cm11. I remember on cm10 i had a screen rotation app to set it in portrait mode.

I'm using BMM. Could be that the problem? and how to change it to Safestrap?

Regards

Mathieu2k4

Oct 22, 2011
Using safestrap here. Is it cyanogenmod related? Are there other rom not based on cm11? To get kitkat 4.4.4?

D

Deleted member 5533729

Ok, I had the exact same problem as OP but it was after I dropped the phone - completely crushed my screen - move on with my life - bought a SG3 - used it for like 2 weeks - came around with someone who was selling his screen really cheap - changed the screen - turned it on.

After all that, the phone worked great as always except a bunch of errors related to my canceled accounts from WhatsApp, Gmail and all that stuff.

I left my phone on my desk to deal with it later. When I waked it, *boom* the same screen as OP, it doesn't respond, etc. I proceed to search for what was causing it (I was pretty sure that something else got screwed at that drop but just wanted to double check), I came to the conclusion that the trigger for that screen was locking the phone - leave it alone for a few minutes - wake it up.

I try'd some things but nothing seemed to work so I returned to the first plan, wipe it and then sell it for pieces. But first (I don't know why) I wanted to get rid of those annoying notifications about the accounts so I deleted'em 1 by 1 on the Settings - Accounts menu, after that, a simple factory data reset.

The phone works as good as new now, I never cleared the cache/dalvik, flashed a new ROM or anything beyond the simple factory reset from within the ROM, not from BBM. I never used the HDMI cable so I don't know if it's the same problem but it was the same white full of static screen. I hope this help you.

smock

Jul 12, 2014
same problem here

I have the same problem with "cm-11-20140609-SNAPSHOT-M7-umts_spyder.zip ".
The screen is corrupted after sleep mode. I can feel it unlocking, volume buttons still work and so does the message LED.
I haven´t used the HDMI since I installed CM, so I don´t think its related.

With installation via safestrap 3.65 I have made a factory reset and wiped the dalvik cache.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

smock

Sasha316

Jun 16, 2014
Zagreb
I have the same problem with "cm-11-20140609-SNAPSHOT-M7-umts_spyder.zip ".
The screen is corrupted after sleep mode. I can feel it unlocking, volume buttons still work and so does the message LED.
I haven´t used the HDMI since I installed CM, so I don´t think its related.

With installation via safestrap 3.65 I have made a factory reset and wiped the dalvik cache.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

smock

I use a different rom based on CM11, the MoKee rom. And I am experiencing these problems from the early June builds. All of the June/July builds are causing the same problem. White pixelated screen after couple of minutes when waking the screen from standby, all of the time. On older May builds everything is running fine. The thing is, I know that my phone's HDMi port is faulty or any other component linked to the HDMi, I have never connected any kind of HDMi cable. On my stock rom, the 4.1.2 when I restart my phone the HDMi turns itself on and my phone thinks that it is connected to a TV while it's not. So, I guess the HDMi hardware fault on the mainboard is the problem to this. And in these newer CM11 versions they probably turned the HDMi service back on. I don't have a clue.

Sasha316

Jun 16, 2014
Zagreb
I have a solution. Please flash the JBX kernel over your rom but use a clean install on both. The JBX kernel has an option "disable HDMi" so leave it selected while installing. The JBX version is "JBX-Kernel-3.5-Hybrid-Spyder-4.4_2014-07-08.zip".
As for now, on my LiquidSmooth rom from early July the screen freeze problem is gone. Although I need to test it for a couple of days so I could be 100% sure. But, it works.

D

Deleted member 5533729

I have a solution. Please flash the JBX kernel over your rom but use a clean install on both. The JBX kernel has an option "disable HDMi" so leave it selected while installing. The JBX version is "JBX-Kernel-3.5-Hybrid-Spyder-4.4_2014-07-08.zip".
As for now, on my LiquidSmooth rom from early July the screen freeze problem is gone. Although I need to test it for a couple of days so I could be 100% sure. But, it works.

Today I upgraded to CM 11 M8, the problem showed up again and my "solution" didn't work this time. I'm confirming that the JBX-Kernel fix the problem. Also I recommend it even if you don't have this problem because it improves the battery life/performance of the device. Yes it becomes a little unstable sometimes but if you stick to the "stable" releases you should be just fine. The project is in active development and the dev is always asking for feedback. I've donated to the project and if it improves your phone, you should too.

Here's the link: JBX-Kernel Hybrid

Sasha316

Jun 16, 2014
Zagreb
Today I upgraded to CM 11 M8, the problem showed up again and my "solution" didn't work this time. I'm confirming that the JBX-Kernel fix the problem. Also I recommend it even if you don't have this problem because it improves the battery life/performance of the device. Yes it becomes a little unstable sometimes but if you stick to the "stable" releases you should be just fine. The project is in active development and the dev is always asking for feedback. I've donated to the project and if it improves your phone, you should too.

Here's the link: JBX-Kernel Hybrid

So glad to see that it is working fine. I was testing the JBX for the last couple of days and there is no more screen distortion. I guess we've managed to fix this problem. But still we need to hear from the rest of the users if they have managed to fix their phones as well. :good::laugh:

Drakomorh

Feb 2, 2011

Thank for share this solution. I've tried this solution since last Saturday and I haven't had any problem more with screen.

I installed Safestrap, format system, flash CM11 nightly of 17/07/2017, gapp, kernel and perfect.

regards

ChungHung.Chen

Dec 13, 2010
HsinChu

It's not a real solution because it DISABLE HDMI and HDMI may be the root cause.
You can see my post in this thread, you can reproduce it by connect to HDMI then turn off screen and on.
In your solution just disable HDMI but I need HDMI to connect to TV.
If do not need HDMI function, just disable it.

hrishi21007

Aug 7, 2012
MUMBAI
www.youtube.com
show Attach Files

Regards.

BEEN HAVING these PROBLEM since june start...
Flashed every kitkat ROM available...
The only solution that i have found out is flashing a Lower version ROM....
Like e.g. im using a 4.2.2 ROM currently...
NO issues ...AT ALL trust me
Using BMM flashed on Slot 2(webtop) ROM- JELLYBEER v4.33 (JB 4.2.2)
NO issues so far since 3weeks ...no noise on screen ...working fluently!!

Hope this helps...
Im gonna try to find some more data regarding this...lets see!!!

primus4000

Nov 19, 2010
Thank for share this solution. I've tried this solution since last Saturday and I haven't had any problem more with screen.

I installed Safestrap, format system, flash CM11 nightly of 17/07/2017, gapp, kernel and perfect.

regards

Having the same screen static. I am on M8 and thought this was looking like a software issue. The buttons and screen still function and after unlocking the notification bar does show, though slightly distorted. I went back to stock to prove and noticed webtop kept turning on as if the phone had been plugged in to a dock. I thought this meant there was dust in the hdmi port and tried to clean it out but the problem is persisting. Turning off HDMI would work for me, but for now I am reverting back to M6 since M7 and M8 seem to have this issue.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay, let us discuss this one without heading straight to OT.

The problem occurs while using HDMI because my HDMI jack on my Motorola XT910 is most probably defective since day one. Out of the box, I ran into a strange HDMI glitch which caused the HDMI to turn itself on/off without my interaction. So, that was the main reason why I have decided to install and flash a custom rom. I know for a fact that the JBX kernel will disable your HDMI and you won't be able to connect your phone to your TV, monitor, etc... But, IMHO I don't see this as the phone's primary function. I mean, if you have to choose over your screen working or over your HDMI working... I'll choose the screen by all means. Because HDMI is a secondary function.
    The JBX does fix the screen distortion problem but it prohibits you from connecting your phone to a TV set. By that being said, I guess that you have to choose between the JBX kernel + newer rom combo or just keep using the older builds.

This is a BUG in CM11 and it has been solved in latest nightly.
    The problem has never occurred to me after fix.
    Sorry that I can't remember which nightly has the fix, but it was FIXED.