Unlock bootloader

Search This thread

Sterist

Sep 30, 2011
Galaxy S, quadrant 2
I was a little confused too in the beginning. But adb is, like the output said, not a Windows command.
You should go to the following URL and download Android SDK:
http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
Then install the .exe.

Once the Android SDK program has started, it'll (down)load and show you all the Android versions and tools.
Make sure you have only selected the checkboxes "Android SDK Platform Tools" and "Google USB driver". Now click on the right bottom button labeled: "Install packages".
Select the radio button: "Accept All" and click "Install".

Now, start cmd (Click start and type cmd and press enter or press the Windows flag + R on your keyboard and type cmd).
A black windows will open.
Type (for 64 bit computers, if you don't know what 64 bit is, just try it. If you see an error stating it cannot find the directory, type the quoted command below 32 bit):

32 bit:

Before you continue, install the OEM USB driver:
http://developer.android.com/tools/extras/oem-usb.html
(Click with the right mouse button on Computer, click Manage. Go to Device Manager. Right click Acer A700, click update driver software.
Choose "Browe my computer for driver software". Choose "Let me pick from a list".
Click all devices or/and Have disk..
Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver\ and click the file under the 2 folders (android_winusb.inf)
Click on the first one and install.)

Now follow the instructions as in the first topic, only a little bit different:

now there's some quality instructions!

the OP instructions remind me of the Mrs.

"I'm cold" means get the heating pad, turn off the AC, pull the blanket over my feet, and do the dishes.

Last edited:

DЯΦiDi@П

Jun 16, 2012
Before you continue, install the OEM USB drivers again, only this time on the Fastboot device:
(Click with the right mouse button on Computer, click Manage. Go to Device Manager. Right click Fastboot, click update driver software.
Choose "Browe my computer for driver software". Choose "Let me pick from a list".
Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver\ and click the file under the 2 folders
Click on the second one and install.)

I don't see a need for this step.

After installing the acer USB driver normally, windows recognizes the tablet beeing switched to fastboot mode and installs the appropriate drivers automatically.

Last edited:

TomONeill

Dec 4, 2008
I don't see a need for this step.

After installing the USB driver normally, windows recognizes the tablet beeing switched to fastboot mode and installs the appropriate drivers automatically.

Good to hear. I had to do that step otherwise it couldn't find my tablet. That's why I wrote it down.

acdcking12345

Mar 17, 2011
I know we can now unlock the bootloader, and can gain full root...

But without any custom ROMS, etc, is it even worth doing now? Or wait until some custom ROMS and recoveries are created?

Beknatok

Dec 1, 2008
Chicagoland Burbs
I know we can now unlock the bootloader, and can gain full root...

But without any custom ROMS, etc, is it even worth doing now? Or wait until some custom ROMS and recoveries are created?

Depends on what you want to do. Apps like TitaniumBackup require root. And because the only viable root method requires unlocking the bootloader, you must do so if you wish to root.

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Just a note folks. You have to be very quick to select the unlock. It goes away in about 3 or 4 seconds. Just run the unlock command again. And I was looking for text, and not the silly "icons".

Took me 3 times :laugh:

Also another note, although I was set up with adb and fastboot on the 501, I had to select the drivers again for the 701. Manual select, and ignore the warning.

MD

Reactions: themoto

cheefy

Dec 18, 2010
So am i understanding it right there's at the moment no chance to revert this procedure. If i unlock the bootloader, the only way to lock it againg is to flash a complete new rom.

is the 028 firmware as official as there shouldn't be any warranty problems?

TomONeill

Dec 4, 2008
I guess you are able to relock it with the following commands (I guess, I have not tried it since my A700 is currently on the way back (to get another one, mine wasn't proper (backlight bleed, crashes)))
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem lock

mearoth

Apr 28, 2011
No, that doesn't work. The only way mentioned was to flash a service ROM. Fastboot oem lock is not implemented in A510 and so i would wonder if it was on the A700

Sent from my A510 using xda app-developers app

cheefy

Dec 18, 2010
But unlocking the bootloader, flashing CWM, dumping the rom and reflashing the exact same rom should do the job, or am i wrong?

Turbojugend

Jun 1, 2010
Halifax
(Click with the right mouse button on Computer, click Manage. Go to Device Manager. Right click Acer A700, click update driver software.
Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver\ and click the file under the 2 folders (android_winusb.inf)

For some reason Windows tells me it can't find the driver in the folder.

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
For some reason Windows tells me it can't find the driver in the folder.

Because you're letting windows decide. You can't do that.

1. Always, when you install drivers from a driver installation program, to "right" mouse click the driver installation file, and select "run as administrator"

2. With you tab plugged in, and in the mode required "ADB, Fastboot, APX" go to device manager and try updating the driver "manually". You should have an option other than automatic, as windows just won't do it. Then, after going the manual select, you have to select the Device from a list. You will get a window with all devices, so you have to select the Iconia tab, or similar (can't remember what it's called, but you will see it). Then, you should get another window with 2 or 3 choices. ADB, Fastboot, or Recovery I think). That's if you installed the drivers properly to begin with.

Also, if you still can't get it right, try getting the Google Android USB drivers and install them. It's what I use. You can google exactly what I just said, and it should be the first result. It's a 65mb download. Also, I highly suggest, you download and install the Android SDK for future uses.

Also, if you are running Windows 8 customer preview, you may have issues.

MD

Turbojugend

Jun 1, 2010
Halifax
Because you're letting windows decide. You can't do that.

1. Always, when you install drivers from a driver installation program, to "right" mouse click the driver installation file, and select "run as administrator"

2. With you tab plugged in, and in the mode required "ADB, Fastboot, APX" go to device manager and try updating the driver "manually". You should have an option other than automatic, as windows just won't do it. Then, after going the manual select, you have to select the Device from a list. You will get a window with all devices, so you have to select the Iconia tab, or similar (can't remember what it's called, but you will see it). Then, you should get another window with 2 or 3 choices. ADB, Fastboot, or Recovery I think). That's if you installed the drivers properly to begin with.

Also, if you still can't get it right, try getting the Google Android USB drivers and install them. It's what I use. You can google exactly what I just said, and it should be the first result. It's a 65mb download. Also, I highly suggest, you download and install the Android SDK for future uses.

Also, if you are running Windows 8 customer preview, you may have issues.

MD

I did everything you mentioned above but I I fixed it in a different manner. The USB drivers in the SDK didn't work, I had to go get the official ones from Acer. After Windows not finding them, I went to the USB folder and no installable files were there, just a couple of DLL files. No surprise that they weren't there.

Once I installed the ones from Acer's website, it installed the fastboot drivers, as soon as I booted up into that mode, and everything worked perfectly.

grneyez

Sep 3, 2009
flashing either the Acer_AV043_A700_1.025.00_EMEA_CUS1 or Acer_AV043_A700_1.028.00_EMEA_FR should fix that.

Hi, I tried both files you have suggested and neither will install. It appears to start the install but them, goes to a android laying down with an exclamation point? Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:

escalator

Aug 23, 2007
Pratzschwitz
In the android-sdk go to the "platform-tools" folder.
Then launch a terminal and type:

Code:
adb reboot-bootloader
-> Device is rebooting

type:
Code:
fastboot oem unlock

Hi...my Device is detected with "adb devices" and reboots after "adb reboot-bootloader".

Then my A700 shows "Bootloader vICS-MR1-a055314: starting fastboot USB downloading protocol"

starting fastboot oem unlock is giving me "<waitung for device>"

What could be wrong?

EDIT: It is detected by windows as" ACER fastboot interface"

EDIT2: Solved.....had an outdated Android-SDK...

Last edited:
Reactions: bschrib

GenghisKhan67

Dec 8, 2010
Sherbrooke
Thanks for the procedure, it worked fine after I figured out how to press the correct volume position to confirm. I felt like an idiot after trying 5-6 times and getting the timeout error.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:
    adb reboot-bootloader
    -> Device is rebooting

type:
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    now press the + Volume button to select Unlock then - Volume Button to confirm.

restart:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot-bootloader

Your bootloader is now unlocked.
    is this windows or linux?

either way, i try on windows and i get

"adb is not recognized as an internal or external command."

I was a little confused too in the beginning. But adb is, like the output said, not a Windows command.
    You should go to the following URL and download Android SDK:
    http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
    Then install the .exe.

Once the Android SDK program has started, it'll (down)load and show you all the Android versions and tools.
    Make sure you have only selected the checkboxes "Android SDK Platform Tools" and "Google USB driver". Now click on the right bottom button labeled: "Install packages".
    Select the radio button: "Accept All" and click "Install".

Now, start cmd (Click start and type cmd and press enter or press the Windows flag + R on your keyboard and type cmd).
    A black window will open.
    Type (for 64 bit computers, if you don't know what 64 bit is, just try it. If you see an error stating it cannot find the directory, type the quoted command below 32 bit):
    cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools"

32 bit:
    cd "C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools"

Code:
    adb reboot-bootloader
    -> Device is rebooting

Before you continue, install the OEM USB drivers again, only this time on the Fastboot device:
    (Click with the right mouse button on Computer, click Manage. Go to Device Manager. Right click Fastboot, click update driver software.
    Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver\ and click the file under the 2 folders
    Click on the second one and install.)

type:
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    now press the + Volume button to select Unlock then - Volume Button to confirm.

restart:
    Code:
    [B]fastboot reboot[/B]
    (not fastboot reboot-bootloader)

Your bootloader is now unlocked.
    But you also need root right ?

Well, in theory you could also geht root by flashing an prepared Update.zip when the bootloader is unlocked. Beside the ability to flashing anything ( Kernels, Roms etc)

Sent from my MB526 using XDA

Hmm, alright.

I'll say at this point, that I know enough about Linux to be dangerous, but not enough about the Android eco-sphere (quite yet). Trying to dig up information on how to take system dumps and repackage them as .img files & looking into how to make use of the kernel source code that Acer posted.
    is this windows or linux?

either way, i try on windows and i get

"adb is not recognized as an internal or external command."

It helps to actually follow instructions...

Are you in the android-sdk folder? No? Go to it like the instructions said.

Don't know what the android-sdk folder is? Stop what you're doing now, you're going to break something. Rooting and unlocking bootloaders is not for you. Go do a whole bunch of reading before you try again.