LG Optimus G (E970) Teardown (Pics)

Search This thread

saschlac

Jan 3, 2013
So I was bored last night and decided to take apart my OG. I took pictures of the process (Other than removing the back, sorry!). I mostly took pictures of the mainboard, along with closeups of all of the chips.

Bad news:
- The screen doesn't seem easy to replace at all, I didn't even take it out because there was no obvious way to get it out.
- The battery is stuck to the back of the screen with adhesive tape. I was able to remove it but I had to be very careful.

Here is the URL to the gallery:
(Thanks bleached for a link post work around!)

P.S. Once I have enough posts to embed images I will post the high res versions in this thread.

Cheers!

Last edited:
J

johnbyebye

Very cool. The battery looks really easy to replace. The issue is finding a new one to put in if it ever failed.

saschlac

Jan 3, 2013
Very cool. The battery looks really easy to replace. The issue is finding a new one to put in if it ever failed.

Well, the good news is it's the same battery as the nexus 4, so as long as we can find nexus 4 batteries we're ok.

Those are cool pictures. I dont think i'd ever feel comfortable doing this to my phone

Oh, it was nerve wracking getting it appart, especially getting the back cover off and getting the shielding off of the chips. But it's back together now and still functional! :good:

blenkows

Dec 14, 2012
Damn.... you got balls dude.

I would be terrified to do this to my phone.

ReconPeon

Sep 28, 2010
Memphis, TN
So is the back easy to replace then? Like the glass is attached to the part that is removed so if the glass breaks we just get another back? Why can't I find replacement backs anywhere...Ugh

whoamanwtf

Nov 15, 2008
Best Coast
Are the camera plugs in these boards compatible with each other? Meaning do you think we could actually put a stronger camera in our phones?

Sent from my Slicked OG

pinkster

Mar 9, 2011
Montevideo
I would love to see a wireless charging mod for the LGOG, really dont understand why it wasnt added to the phone at first place..
the nexus 4 has two more extra connector pins in the back that our phone doesnt have so i guess it isnt a simple mod, also i dont think there is much space to work with.

saschlac

Jan 3, 2013
So is the back easy to replace then? Like the glass is attached to the part that is removed so if the glass breaks we just get another back? Why can't I find replacement backs anywhere...Ugh

The back was probably the hardest part to get off, but I was also being really careful not to crack the glass. If you follow the directions on the ifixit nexus 4 teardown you shouldn't have a problem. The plastic opening tools they sell were invaluable. I had never used them on anything prior to opening the OG, and they made the whole process so much easier.

I would love to see a wireless charging mod for the LGOG, really dont understand why it wasnt added to the phone at first place..
the nexus 4 has two more extra connector pins in the back that our phone doesnt have so i guess it isnt a simple mod, also i dont think there is much space to work with.

Yea, the two connectors on the OG are for the NFC antenna that is on the inside of the back cover. I just ordered the parts to try and do the palm touchstone mod on the OG. So I'll post my results if I'm successful. I should only have to modify the the daughterboard (that I didn't take out in the pictures), so the risk is much lower than if I had to modify the mainboard.

Are the camera plugs in these boards compatible with each other? Meaning do you think we could actually put a stronger camera in our phones?

I haven't seen the 13MP camera module connector, but I doubt it would work, primarily due to the difference in the shape of the modules. If you look at any OG version with the 13MP camera you can see that there is a bulge on the phone enclosure where the camera is.

Nastybutler

Nov 18, 2012
Anchorage
Do you think the price will go back down, or we will see more sellers?

Here's some communication between me and the seller:

Dear skystartrade,

Why did you raise the price on this part by $200. That's quite a jump, and it's about half the price of a brand new E970.

- nastybutler77

Dear nastybutler77,

We currently do not have this item on hand. We will try and message you if the item is back in our inventory.

Thank you
Jack
SST Trading
Customer Service

I guess they're saying they jacked the price up so no one would buy because they're out of stock? Seems like a flimsy excuse to me. But I guess there's hope the price will go back down at some point.

Reactions: VladBelsky
J

johnbyebye

Here's some communication between me and the seller:

I guess they're saying they jacked the price up so no one would buy because they're out of stock? Seems like a flimsy excuse to me. But I guess there's hope the price will go back down at some point.

Lol, it says "More than 10 available."

Top Liked Posts