flash to run TT7? not sure what to do about mem allocation

Search This thread

boma23

Jan 26, 2007
Road Town, Tortola
Hi all.

I've been happily runnning Axel's last ROM since it came out, with no major issues, but just recently decided to install TomTom7 as an upgrade from TT6.

Whilst the app itself was far better, the lag following maps was unbearable. After some research, I've then disabled all but the most essential POIs, and then decided to try and free up some memory on my device (was running with around 26MB free in programs).

However, i then went on a little new software and update mission, (installing everything to the HDSC though), bar a couple of minor very small apps. I uninstalled my Kaiser Home screen and Dialer, updating to the latest B&W Home, and DxC iPhone DIaller 3.5e ("repeat call bug" fixed versions).

Now TomTom7 won't load (insufficient memory)!!

So, I've gone back and:

1. Uninstalled every program I could do without, and also uninstalled any existing programs listed in \Program Files and moved them to the SC.

2. Manually gone through the OS and removed left behind files and folders, and anything deemed not necessary.

3. Ran the (demo version) of SK Tools, clearing all caches etc., and also optimizing for memory.

4. Tried running without any home screen Plugins (i.e. blank start screen!)

4. Researched on here for HOURS trying to find some way to manually reallocate memory between Storage and Programs, as I have tons of Storage memory left!

5. Researched for ways to uninstall programs I may have installed to the Device originally, as uninstall only lists those installed to Storage. Is it possible at all??

After all this, I'm currently sitting after a soft reset, with:

Storage: Total 66.55 Use 30.30 Free 36.25
Programs: Total 48.97 Use 26.93 Free 22-24

I need to either
a. reallocate storage
b. uninstall things i may have accidentally installed to Device (have aready deleted \prog files folders)
c. flash to a completely new lite ROM and reinstall /setup everything

I really don't want to do the last one as in all other respects I'm happy with the device's performance, but if necessary, can someone recommend a very lite, stable WM 6.1 ROM (may as well upgrade to 6.1 if doing it), or as with everything MS does 6.1 eat more space..?

Any suggestions and thoughts on three options, and indeed on how TomTom7 is performing on their device welcome.

NB - my mini 4GB HCSD card is close to full - 160MB free - but surely this has no impact on working memory?

thanks for any responses, I must have spent at least 10 hours trawling through threads with no joy :(

Dom

Last edited:

cs_e2

Feb 13, 2007
didn't even know that TT7 is working on thr P3600...

ara you sure that this version is suported?

Make My Day!

Jul 4, 2008
can you tell me how much memory you have free in Programs, Make My Day?

After a softreset i have 28 mb free ram

but tomtom 7 needs only so max 10 mb free ram.

Deinstall tomtom 7 an remove all your tomtom files from the sd kart and the device (but not the map) do a softreste and install tomtom 7 again.

boma23

Jan 26, 2007
Road Town, Tortola
TT7 only needs 10MB free?!?

wow, thought it would be more than that (had tried finding out and couldn't get hold of the info). everyone seems to blaming slow responding maps on lack of memory...

will try removing TT7 as you say and reinstall - anyone know whether you can install the TT7 app to the card as well as the maps?

Make My Day!

Jul 4, 2008
TT7 only needs 10MB free?!?

wow, thought it would be more than that (had tried finding out and couldn't get hold of the info). everyone seems to blaming slow responding maps on lack of memory...

will try removing TT7 as you say and reinstall - anyone know whether you can install the TT7 app to the card as well as the maps?

The best whatr you can do is to install tomtom 7 on the Device (it is faster) and the maps on the sd card.

it needs 12 mb on the device and max MAXXXXXXXX --> 10 MB free ram

boma23

Jan 26, 2007
Road Town, Tortola
cool - have already got it working from the SD card tonight after re-install (no idea why it was giving me an out of mem eror when working fine with less before). Will test tomorrow, then try moving it back to device if sluggish.

App isn't slow in general, just on the GPS keeping up with the map... maybe a Radio update and 6.1 will help anyway.

Thanks

cs_e2

Feb 13, 2007
TT7 works for me now...

test ok on latest karmba_a rom with western and central europe 7.20 maps...

didn't need to do something special about memory...works like a charm

boma23

Jan 26, 2007
Road Town, Tortola
Right, this just gets stranger...

Installed it again as mentioned above - worked for a couple of times then back to the

"Unable to start.
Not enough memory is available" error.

So, today I flashed the device witht he latest Radio and Tytn's STD rom, and reinstalled TT7 again.

Guess what? it worked for the forst few times again, and then back to the same old error!!!!

I've no idea what's going on here...

boma23

Jan 26, 2007
Road Town, Tortola
update

after re-flsahing again, I tried downloading the free map, and all seemed fine for a bit.

so i spent ages messing about getting my original maps working again, and added a few more progs, then... TT7 stopped working again with the not enough free memory error.

Now, fubby thing is, a game I installed wouldn't start with the same not enough memory error, only this one reported that it needed a minimum of 16MB to run. I'm currently showing between 22- 25MB free RAM on average, so it can't be that.

I'm now convinced that something in my phone is incorrectly reporting memory usage. Seeing as this error has occurred before and after flashing (new ROM, new radio), with two different programs now, does this mnean that it may be some odd hardware error?

I really need a techy expert on this one, maybe is there another more general tech forum where I might get a wider response? Any idea Mods?

thanks

Dom

Dominic86

Jul 30, 2008
I've the same problem :(
When I've installed the TOMTOM, it's worked for few times, but after inexplicably it's stopped working with the message ""Unable to start.
Not enough memory is available" error but I don't have idea of the causes.:confused:

boma23

Jan 26, 2007
Road Town, Tortola
you'll be pleased to know that this was an early symptom of my trinity dying... it started locking and frequently needing battery removal causing a factory reset, more and more often... to the point where it would reset twice a day.

I suspect faulty main memory :(

a9a1c1

Apr 23, 2009
Ive seen this issue on my Trinity, as I recall it has something to do with favorites list, I removed it and let it rebuild it and it worked great. Ill go home and check it again. I have 7.450 (9028) TT, maps 720.1803 working on mine. I even was able to use my old fav list from TT6.0. I had to let it churn and work for almost 4-5 hours to come to the Warning screen, but Ive been looking for the 7.5 or 7.6 files to test my theories on the memory issue with it.