[Q] Skype video on Note 3 compared to Note 2 (both Qualcomm)

Search This thread

Quetsch

Apr 15, 2006
Hi!

I did some skype video calling lately and experienced something strange. The quality of the transmitted video was way better from Note 2 than from Note 3 in various aspects:
Concerning the front cam, I had 17 to 7 fps, a much better quality in terms of light and color of the pictures. Turning on the the quality information the Note 2 also showed a lower cpu usage (!!).
Skype version on both: 4.5.0.39600
Note 2 rooted stock ROM 4.1.2, Note 3 rooted stock 4.3 MJ7.

So, is the current skype version not as optimized for snapdragon 800 as for Exynos?

The results for the back cams were similar, but not with such drastic difference. Still higher frame rates on Note 2, a bit more "natural" picture and lower cpu usage. This was kinda disappointing. I love boths my devices, but comparing them in many aspects of everyday usage, the Note 3 is not superior to the Note 2 in all aspects! Skype is just 1 thing, there are quite some things still lacking on Note 3, UMS e.g.

So, can somebody confirm my "discoveries" in terms of skype video quality?
Anyone to bring a bit more insight into that issue?

P.S. Anything similar on Hangouts video?

Krayzieboi

Jan 16, 2012
Note3 sucks videocalling

Hi!

I did some skype video calling lately and experienced something strange. The quality of the transmitted video was way better from Note 2 than from Note 3 in various aspects:
Concerning the front cam, I had 17 to 7 fps, a much better quality in terms of light and color of the pictures. Turning on the the quality information the Note 2 also showed a lower cpu usage (!!).
Skype version on both: 4.5.0.39600
Note 2 rooted stock ROM 4.1.2, Note 3 rooted stock 4.3 MJ7.

So, is the current skype version not as optimized for snapdragon 800 as for Exynos?

The results for the back cams were similar, but not with such drastic difference. Still higher frame rates on Note 2, a bit more "natural" picture and lower cpu usage. This was kinda disappointing. I love boths my devices, but comparing them in many aspects of everyday usage, the Note 3 is not superior to the Note 2 in all aspects! Skype is just 1 thing, there are quite some things still lacking on Note 3, UMS e.g.

So, can somebody confirm my "discoveries" in terms of skype video quality?
Anyone to bring a bit more insight into that issue?

P.S. Anything similar on Hangouts video?

Hi,

Any solutions for this thing here? really dissapointed with Note3 video calling this is to all applications not only in skype. video quality is bad. same goes with Xperia Z1 i changed to note 3 to eliminate the problem but only to find out that its just same freaking problem video quality so Bad.

hope someone could find a way regarding this problem. my Gf uses note 2 and way better video when we videocalling.