GEOHOT and ATT S5 ROOT (Towelroot) and Works on i337 NC1 phone as well!!!

Search This thread

marquinhodsdm

Aug 1, 2012
Boone
It does not. I just did it last night, Knox still intact on the Galaxy S4 AT&T.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Free mobile app

Attachments

• 1403298298372.jpg
    1403298298372.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 446
  • 1403298312206.jpg
    1403298312206.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 441

Frankenscript

May 29, 2014
Indianapolis Metro
Google Pixel 6
So... did the towelroot on my ATT I337 S4 (NC1), reboot, installed SuperSU (June 18 update on Play), ran it, allowed it to download/install binaries, and it said it would disable knox. IT's been stalled on that "Disabling Knox" screen for more than 5 minutes. What should I do at this point?

The phone isn't dead or anything... it times out the screen and lets me wake it back up.... just SuperSU is kind of stuck.

Looking for the best next action. Thanks!

EDIT: After a while I just rebooted the phone. Everything ran smoothly after that. SuperSU disabled Knox without incident, and Root Checker confirmed root.

Marc

Last edited:

marquinhodsdm

Aug 1, 2012
Boone
i hope so

I've been wondering if this will work for our phones on newer firmwares as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Wait, what's the latest firmware? I thought NC1 was the latest. And I can confirm it works with it! I just rooted my phone last night using the towelroot method. Knox intact as well.

dtowngs4g

Mar 18, 2011
I root AT&T Samsung S4 NC1 using towelroot and also installed safestrap successfully. After that i wiped data, dalvik and cache and now i cannot reboot to the safestrap recovery and as well as the rom.

Please help on how to recover.

I am stuck at the Samsung Lock Unlock window.

Please help..
You have to reflash stock rom in Odin or bring to AT&T store and they will reflash for you, which is what I did Friday. [emoji57]

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

Wait, what's the latest firmware? I thought NC1 was the latest. And I can confirm it works with it! I just rooted my phone last night using the towelroot method. Knox intact as well.
There's an update to upgrade to 4.4.3

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

toastthemost

Oct 3, 2011
Update: so far, everything has been running smoother for me. This is mostly thanks to the root and xposed capabilities we now have. Being able to hibernate system apps, have better control over what is eating the battery, and customizing stuff with xposed is really enhancing my stock experience. I don't feel that I even care to install safestrap and look at other roms, as stock is so much better this way. Everything has been running very stable for me. The only problem I have is that somewhere in this process it tripped knox (somewhere in my supersu update this happened), but I don't really care as I will use it until it dies and lose it when it does.

Anyone else get very slow wifi after using towel root I went from 25 to 3 mbps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

I also have a custom splash it says Samsung on top then below it has a unlocked symbol and the word custom no safestrap and standard super su instalation

Last edited:

John The Rhino

Dec 25, 2013
I noticed that too. Dropped from 24 mbps to 7. I flashed NB1 modules and that seemed to work for me.

So you had to install safestrap to do that? Can I do that in Odin and stay on the stock Rom without flashing a new rom or can I just flash the module from safestrap on the factory installed rom also is it safe to flash the nb1 module on the nc1 rom? Sorry for all the questions its sort of a hard topic to search

Last edited:
This all seemed to have started after I used towel root I was on factory nc1 used towelroot then super su the se changer all was well but wifi speed is horrendous and my f2f dosent want to lose her factory install so just wondering if I can now install safestrap then safely flash the nc1 module to see if it corrects the problem

John The Rhino

Dec 25, 2013
It's located in the All things mk2. NB1 and NC1 guide.

salutcemoi

Oct 29, 2012
I towelrooted and I'm on NE1, and WIFI speeds seem to be fine

Sent from my SGH-I337M using XDA Free mobile app

tsmith154

May 27, 2010
philadelphia
I also have at&t gs4 sgh-i33u nc1 4.4.2 and rooted with towel and my wifi has not changed. everything Is running fine. I have also uninstalled the Bloatware I don't like. I use this phone all the time and so far my battery has not gone below 40%.

But I do miss the speed I had when I had custom roms on my gs3 and my gs4 before the usb jack went bad. When I replaced my, well NC1.

I miss the old CWM flashing days.

drock212

Aug 26, 2009
ORLANDO
I still haven't flashed the modules but I have been getting intermittent messages about my wifi being unstable. Anyone else?

I get these all the time. But my WiFi is unstable. It's a crappy router on crappy bright house. I don't think it's the phone at all as there about 6 devices on a 1Mb connection. They all come in and out on WiFi

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Geohot has found a vulnerability in the New ATT/VERIZON S5 and confirmed by users it works on our i337 ATT NC1 FIRMWARE ONLY. Check out his thread HERE http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2783157

I am ONLY relaying his great work here and have NOTHING to do with it. I just try to keep up with a few other phones when I think I may upgrade to. So I brought this here in case others were not following the Verizon/ATT S5 forums.

Don't worry, you don't have to leave your house

When: 10 AM PDT tomorrow(6/15/14)
    Where: In this thread, in #towelroot on freenode, and at towelroot.com

Definitely invited: AT&T GS5, Verizon GS5, GS4 Active, Nexus 5
    May have some troubles at the door but invited: AT&T/Verizon Note 3
    Possibly invited: Every Android phone with a kernel build date < Jun 3

Stay tuned right here for updates. I'm coming for that bounty.​

For this towelroot to work on the ATT S4 you need to be on NC1 firmware. It does not seem to work on MK2 or NB1.

Sent From My Spiderman,Ironman,Red,Dark Blue,Green, GreyedOut BadAss Themed I337
    Just did nc1!!!!!!!!!

thanks that did it. I woulda never figured it out :D

No Problem, glad I could help. :)

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

Here is a zip file with:

• SELinux Mode Changer
    • SS 3.72
    • NC1 Kernel modules
    • Updated SuperSU

https://mega.co.nz/#!61hyXCgS!hxerBG4XCbHJFioDOdOi7ybQoQUTzmscEBlsP0VlaWM
    Glad it is working for you all. Now hopefully a real boot loader bypass like Loki comes along for you all.

I didn't need to use this method as I have the Loki bypass on mine. Just since it looked like it would work with many android/Samsung phones I would share the link Geo had. Make sure to send him some kind of donation if possible. This is huge news for the phones that could not get root

Sent From My Spiderman,Ironman,Red,Dark Blue,Green, GreyedOut BadAss Themed I337
    I couldn't get it to work on NB1, but upgraded to NC1 and it worked fine. Safestrap however, is not installing. I tried pushing it to /system/app & /priv/app and setting permissions. It says it installs, but system status says it's not installed.