Adjust stylus sensitivity

Search This thread

Z a p i x

Feb 2, 2011
England 2.0
Tried this with the Slate 7 pen I have. Worked nicely to fix the sensitivity to something more to my liking. Thanks ^^ Might be a better drawing tool.

Also tried adjusting the second one for the offset. Nothing. Didn't seem to change anything. Tried small adjustments, large adjustments. Nothing seemed to change. If only I could fix the offset! xD

MercuryStar

Oct 6, 2009
Tried adjusting my sensitivity today to increase the sensitivity so that it would come on at the lightest touch, then I realised I don't like that (it meant I could no longer draw "lightly" with pencil tools). So I went the other way until I was happy.

I tried adjusting the pot on the right to see what it did, but it seemed to do nothing at all for me. Did not notice any significant offset at any setting. So I set it back how it was and I'm happy.

SayaX

Mar 25, 2011
I'm a little frustrated with my stylus. Some people are saying they can get theirs so sensitive it writes without actually touching the screen, but no matter what, I have to put some amount of pressure to get light touches... then it jumps in pressure too quickly for my liking. It's hard to be precise in Sketchbook Pro and I'm used to Wacom technology... I've owned Graphires (old school Bamboos), Intuoses, you name it. I'm used to being able to lay down light strokes, low pressure with low opacity and then using dropper tool to blend... for the Note 10., this is really difficult.

I adjusted the nobs, but it's not doing any good. Does the range or effect change per person? I'm thinking of actually calling Samsung and seeing if I can get another stylus out of them to try. This is driving me bonkers. Besides that, everything is perfect. For sketching it is fine, but that's just for sketching... painting or rendering is a pain because of this pressure issue.

It would be so helpful if there was a diagnostic tool that reported back the numbers that the pen was sending. There is on the actual Wacom tablets themselves, you can see how much pressure is applied and diagnose accordingly. I've had faulty pens before that I've had exchanged and it's fixed the issue.

I changed the nib too and that seemed to help, but I think the nib settled and it's still difficult to get steady light pressure without wrist strain.

I don't expect Intuos quality, but I expect something relatively close to a Bamboo level. Maybe not the same responsiveness,... But if it boasts 1024 pressure levels, it'd be nice to actually use those levels. I've used multiple apps... S-note, LayerPaint, LectureNotes, Sketchbook Pro... you name it. Still happy with the tablet, it just significantly lowers what I can realistically achieve art wise on it.... maybe it's just my pen. I am hoping it's my pen.

EDIT: BTW, when you guys mention "offset", are you talking about pressure threshold? Meaning, the amount of pressure needed to actually get a line for example?

Last edited:

terry1256

Jan 1, 2013
this is the best i can get it but i still cant see a screw lol

Attachments

• 20130103_192704.jpg
    20130103_192704.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 855

terry1256

Jan 1, 2013
i dont think its a genuine s-pen myself but iv ordered a new one so ill give that a try when it arrives :D

terry1256

Jan 1, 2013
got the note off gumtree and the s-pen has a mind of its own sometimes it works sometime it doesn't

SayaX

Mar 25, 2011
Well after my original post (pasted below), I went ahead and called Samsung CS... the first guy got my hopes up when he told me they would replace it. However, he then sent me to the 'executive customer dept' who took an half an hour on hold to finally tell me I would have to send in the whole unit. I'm not going to do that, because I'm happy with the tablet and it's stupid to send it back just for the pen. Really annoying.

So now I'm going to go actually buy a replacement...

Actually while I was sitting on the phone, I pulled off the switch to check my settings real quick and noticed the second nob had come loose!! I was like holy crap... but the pen works the same way as before so far. So I guess maybe that nob doesn't do anything after all!

I will probably go by Best Buy to get a replacement since they claim they have it in store. I'm a little irritated it has come to this, but if I get it replaced and it works like a charm, I'll be a happy camper.

Anyway, Wacom is releasing another stylus for the tab called "Bamboo Stylus Feel" sometime in a week, but I get the feeling from the vague and upbeat descriptions that it doesn't change the functionality or fluidity or pressure level situation at all.

Oh on another note, I had gotten an email from Samsung when I registered my Note 10 for 50% off accessories... I was going to order straight through them but come to find out it for "mobile" accessories only. Now why would they send me a coupon for mobile accessories to my Wifi tablet???? This is the second time I've registered a wifi tablet with them in past few months and I didn't receive an email then. Odd. So getting it through BBY...

I'm a little frustrated with my stylus. Some people are saying they can get theirs so sensitive it writes without actually touching the screen, but no matter what, I have to put some amount of pressure to get light touches... then it jumps in pressure too quickly for my liking. It's hard to be precise in Sketchbook Pro and I'm used to Wacom technology... I've owned Graphires (old school Bamboos), Intuoses, you name it. I'm used to being able to lay down light strokes, low pressure with low opacity and then using dropper tool to blend... for the Note 10., this is really difficult.

I adjusted the nobs, but it's not doing any good. Does the range or effect change per person? I'm thinking of actually calling Samsung and seeing if I can get another stylus out of them to try. This is driving me bonkers. Besides that, everything is perfect. For sketching it is fine, but that's just for sketching... painting or rendering is a pain because of this pressure issue.

It would be so helpful if there was a diagnostic tool that reported back the numbers that the pen was sending. There is on the actual Wacom tablets themselves, you can see how much pressure is applied and diagnose accordingly. I've had faulty pens before that I've had exchanged and it's fixed the issue.

I changed the nib too and that seemed to help, but I think the nib settled and it's still difficult to get steady light pressure without wrist strain.

I don't expect Intuos quality, but I expect something relatively close to a Bamboo level. Maybe not the same responsiveness,... But if it boasts 1024 pressure levels, it'd be nice to actually use those levels. I've used multiple apps... S-note, LayerPaint, LectureNotes, Sketchbook Pro... you name it. Still happy with the tablet, it just significantly lowers what I can realistically achieve art wise on it.... maybe it's just my pen. I am hoping it's my pen.

EDIT: BTW, when you guys mention "offset", are you talking about pressure threshold? Meaning, the amount of pressure needed to actually get a line for example?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2011
M pen works just fine with light and heavy strokes though I do have a slight problem transitioning beetween the two areas (in the mid section)
Not sure if adjusting the screws will achieve anything worthwhile and I'd rather not mess up my pen.

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

i dont think its a genuine s-pen myself but iv ordered a new one so ill give that a try when it arrives :D

Does it fit snuggly in the pen holder slot on the tablet?

cauepol

Oct 21, 2012
Jaboticabal
can't open my Spen

Guys I can't open my Spen, i tried with a razor, but it just scratched the button, I know that it is too much to ask for a video or detailed photos on how to do it.
I just need to increase the sensitivity a litte, but can't figure out how to open.
Thanks in advance.

It's a N8000

Mr. bird

Mar 29, 2012
Guys I can't open my Spen, i tried with a razor, but it just scratched the button, I know that it is too much to ask for a video or detailed photos on how to do it.
I just need to increase the sensitivity a litte, but can't figure out how to open.
Thanks in advance.

It's a N8000

This is the best I can do for you without making a youtube account, making a video and linking it here. Just got to get something with a point inbetween the cover and the pen and then pry against the pen lifting the cover off. Just got to make sure you pry toward the back of the pen or you will probably break the hook on the front.

sent from my jelly bean infused note 10.1

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

You can also use the front part of the cover that hooks into the pen to turn the screw.

Reactions: cauepol

cauepol

Oct 21, 2012
Jaboticabal
This is the best I can do for you without making a youtube account, making a video and linking it here. Just got to get something with a point inbetween the cover and the pen and then pry against the pen lifting the cover off. Just got to make sure you pry toward the back of the pen or you will probably break the hook on the front.

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

You can also use the front part of the cover that hooks into the pen to turn the screw.

Thank you very much sir!!
I got to open it with a needle, when it popped off, i though it was broken, but it wasn't.

I really apreciate your help, finnaly got the spen the way I wanted.

Sorry for the trouble I made.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    if you're having problems with choppiness, light touches, or having to press hard for your pen to register a touch you can adjust the sensitivity easily.

this search for a fix started when i found my gn2 would stutter when getting into the "zone" and start randomly causing accidental touches. from the gn2 forums i found that the sensitivity can be adjusted via a potentiometer in the pen itself.

on my gn10.1 i found the pen too sensitive. in order to draw the thin lines i had to almost hover over the screen and in doing so i ended up with choppy thin lines. after decreasing the sensitivity i can now draw consistent thin lines after adding just a smidge of pressure.

to adjust the sensitivity you'll need to remove the cover of the click button. a razor should do the job. the fastener is on the back end (towards the samsung logo). a little upwards force and it'll pop off easily. after removing, you'll see two pots. the one on the left is the one you want to mess with (dunno what the one on the right does).

using a small screwdriver turn the pot clockwise 1/8 a turn at a time to decrease the sensitivity, counter clockwise for increase. find the setting that suits you the best and reassemble. this trick kept me from making a trip back to the sprint store and exchanging a phone (no replacement stylus yet).
    I did, I would like to see just the button, to have an idea of exactly how out fits in the hole.

Enviado desde mi GT-N8010 usando Tapatalk 2

here you go
    Oh this is great! I wonder if this will work with the Wacom pen we've talked about in this thread:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1931137

I popped open mine, and the pots are side by side like in the Note Spen. Hm, I don't think the screwdriver I have for my eyeglasses is small enough though.

I had an old Lenovo ThinkPad one where I had lost the button and used a rubber pen grip to use with my note when I first purchased it, the sensitivity and offset issue prevented me from using the pen and I had never thought about adjusting the potentiometers until I saw this thread.

I adjusted the sensitivity as detailed and it worked! I still had a problem with the offset where the pen had too much of a distance from nib to where it wrote so I thought to myself, maybe the second potentiometer that we were told not to adjust will resolve this problem and then thought that I've got nothing to lose with this old pen and gave it a shot.

I can confirm that the Pen now works flawlessly as the other potentiometer did indeed adjust the offset.

I now have a pen without the button for when I take intensive notes and no longer will be pressing the side button by accident which used to screw up my notes and was annoying, now it's a thing of the past!

If anyone wants to adjust the second potentiometer, my advise would be that you use the right size screw driver and make small adjustments, test and readjust as per the op.
    cool find i actually adjusted sensitivity to where it "clicks" on screen without touching the screen. a features i have been wanting.
    apy2y7y4.jpg

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2
    I noticed, that it is not about turning the screw left or right.
    It is about the position of the screw. Does not matter whether you screw left or right.