[All XDA Members] Feedback/Recommendations for XDA

Search This thread

boborone

Yup, Tapatalk can't even load XDA anymore. We know that they know it, so let's just wait it out, and let them work it out. I, for one won't pull their hair anymore.

Kinda skimming through the last couple of pages......did you get your home connection back to normal? If not try giving the results of a tracert on xdaforums.com. Don't post it, but PM to an admin. I had troubles in the past, that helped resolve them then.

Reactions: ashwindogra9819

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
i'm from indonesian :D.. think the forum need other translation the page into indonesian language
because we are not good for english language :D

I'm from Lithuania. Need translation to Lithuanian too. And Russian as it's my first language. Oh, and that guy is Polish. And this one is Indian. Wait, there are loads of languages in India, we need to translate them too...

Or you could pull your finger out, employ Google translate and do yourself a big favour and learn English language.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: jugg1es

thakurbhai

Jul 8, 2013
New Delhi
Support for both Direct Links & Torrents

As the Title of my Post says, we can easily provide Support for both Direct Links & Torrents.

Of course, there are some people who prefer to Download large files through torrents.
Yes, in direct download, you get Full speed. But what about connection lost, power cut and etc. Also, some people don't prefer to Download at the same time.
In short, we can easily provide support for both Direct and Torrent.

Steps:
  1. First of all, simply upload the File to a direct link, say, http://www.example/my_custom_rom.zip
  2. Then, use the Service BurnBit to make Torrent of a Direct Link.
  3. BurnBit will download the file from the direct link, and will create a torrent for you, which we can then use to Download through torrent. Simple!

I am currently using this thing to Download the ROMs. Its not kind of required thing, but people here on XDA, an use this thing if they want... ;)

andreasy

Apr 2, 2005
Just want to confirm what some users mentioned earlier.

Since xda migration to the new servers, browsing from tapatalk became extremely slow and an old problem has returned. The problem of displaying loading... which goes on and on until connection failed.

Also, I stopped receiving notifications on tapatalk when I'm quoted but I don't know if that's related to migration.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Reactions: jugg1es

rovo89

Senior Recognized Developer
Jan 4, 2012
Thanks for the heads up, this was actually an issue I had to fix with our SPF records. I added IPv6 addresses in addition to the IPv4 addresses I had previously. Our new infrastructure supports IPv6 so if the remote mail server also supports it, it will route over the IPv6 address.

Thanks, I will keep an eye on my SPAM folder. Shortly after your post, another notification mail landed there, but maybe the DNS changes were not propagated completely at that time.

Code:
Delivered-To: xxxxxxxx
Received: by 10.216.210.73 with SMTP id t51csp5030weo;
        Fri, 15 Nov 2013 00:46:36 -0800 (PST)
X-Received: by 10.236.14.202 with SMTP id d50mr4494434yhd.47.1384505196043;
Return-Path: <www@fireball.php.va.us.xda-developers.com>
Received: from fireball.php.va.us.xda-developers.com ([2604:9a00:2010:a080::1400])
        by mx.google.com with ESMTP id v1si1579828yhg.307.2013.11.15.00.46.35
        for <xxxxxxxx>;
Received-SPF: neutral (google.com: 2604:9a00:2010:a080::1400 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of www@fireball.php.va.us.xda-developers.com) client-ip=2604:9a00:2010:a080::1400;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
       spf=neutral (google.com: 2604:9a00:2010:a080::1400 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of www@fireball.php.va.us.xda-developers.com) smtp.mail=www@fireball.php.va.us.xda-developers.com
Received: by fireball.php.va.us.xda-developers.com (Postfix, from userid 500)
	id 8335A90E054D; Fri, 15 Nov 2013 03:46:35 -0500 (EST)
To: xxxxxxxx
Subject: Reply to thread '[FRAMEWORK ONLY!] Xposed - ROM modding without modifying APKs (2.3.1)(10.10.2013)'
Auto-Submitted: auto-generated
Message-ID: <20131115084635.bdbeb3669226@xdaforums.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: vBulletin Mail via PHP
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 03:46:35 -0500 (EST)

Then again, the mail servers might be looking for the domain of the Return-Path, which has changed from "www@xda-developers.com" to "www@someservername.php.va.us.xda-developers.com" (I have very few samples though). As far as I can see, the SPF records are only set for the main domain, not the subdomains (which I think is fine, I would rather check whether the Return-Path is set correctly). Even two notification mails I just received just say that the "best guess record" passes. The older mail I quoted didn't contain this phrase and I think that means that the SPF record was actually evaluated and now it's maybe not.

Reactions: boborone

Red Devil

Oct 25, 2012
Mumbai
I would like to say that the new " Trending in themer " section of the sidebar is pretty sweet. I was actually thinking of mentioning a similar feature here on this thread... but you guys have implemented it better !! :cowboy: :cowboy:

Reactions: rwestergren

danizmax

Mar 13, 2013
My feedback:

The whole xda page is extremely heavy and slow, it always was and now it is even slower.

Don't the developers of thi page use phones tho access thi web page? If not, they really should.

Regards

Stryke_the_Orc

Retired Senior Moderator
Oct 14, 2010
Maras Dantia
Samsung Galaxy Note 20
My feedback:

The whole xda page is extremely heavy and slow, it always was and now it is even slower.

Don't the developers of thi page use phones tho access thi web page? If not, they really should.

Regards

Perhaps try a different browser, it loads fine for me on Wi-Fi, mobile and on my pc. If mobile, try using dolphin;)

Slithering from the nether regions of a twisted mind and tarnished soul

rovo89

Senior Recognized Developer
Jan 4, 2012
Thanks, I will keep an eye on my SPAM folder.

Still lots of XDA notification emails go to my spam folder. I know that I could simply whitelist mails from XDA, but I guess there are many other users with a Gmail account out there. A valid SPF configuration is no guarantee that mails come through, but it should help.

xsenman

Apr 9, 2012
Philippines
recursive issues

FYI. It seems the undermentioned problems crops up nearly every week or two lately.

1) Search for members threads - will take you to advanced search and even if member is entered , it will return back to advanced search

2) Save function on reply panel will just get stuck ( although it does save the post ) pressing F5 key resolves it

3) Sort is failing

For the attention of @bitpushr and @rwestergren

BTW rwestergren any chance you the developer ( guessing based on your Avatar) of My Phone Explorer? Fantastic software, Thank you.

Reactions: fernando sor

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That's a great idea but it doesn't seem like XDA was designed for cloth conventions. :confused:
    I just thought it would me a nice way of spreading awareness of XDA.
    Just a little request regarding XDA merchandise as the current ones from Zazzle are outdated. What I recommend is to have T-Shirts, hats, Hoodies, ect. This would make it easier as it could generate revenue and awareness. Another cool idea is to "personalize" these items by adding a username or avatar. That would be an interesting concept.

Thank you.
    That's a great idea but it doesn't seem like XDA was designed for cloth conventions. :confused:
    Just a little request regarding XDA merchandise as the current ones from Zazzle are outdated. What I recommend is to have T-Shirts, hats, Hoodies, ect. This would make it easier as it could generate revenue and awareness. Another cool idea is to "personalize" these items by adding a username or avatar. That would be an interesting concept.

Thank you.
    After reading a few threads and comments from our members I thought it may be worthwhile to create a Feedback, Recommendations or Idea's thread for XDA. We want to improve our forum for developers and the normal users.

So, rather than sending a PM to a Moderator, please feel free to leave any feedback or idea's you may have to improve XDA, so we can discuss them properly, openly, with the plan to hopefully implement the ideas which are good.

It's sole purpose is to improve XDA and collect your thoughts and idea's.

We will all be monitoring this thread, and someone will hopefully reply without much delay.

Thanks

Rick
    Moderator/Developer Committee

Edits done by Clark Joseph Kent to better support XDA.
    XDA-Developers needs to be more about developers

While I see that time and users have made XDA less about development and more about user support, I think XDA has gone too far in that direction.

Developers need a place to DISCUSS development.

The "General" subforums are too overwhelmed with threads like "Post pictures of your phone", "list of threads linked from other places" and other random "general user" stuff.

The "Q&A" subforums are now a place where moderators chase newbies to. The most technical question you might find in the Q&A section these days is "I just bricked my phone, what do I do?" (Usually, the answers are either making fun of the OP or telling him/her to search.)

The "Development" subforums, which seems like a logical place to discuss development, is now reserved for people to post finish products only and beg for donations - It's the XDA version of the "app store." There's no actual "development" discussion allowed.

Here's what we don't have anymore (but desperately need):

A place where a kernel developer could start a thread discussing the pitfalls of turning off processor cores on a particular device when the device is idle. That would likely lead into a discussion on possible ways to optimize the IN/OUT code for the cores, which would actually *gasp* promote development.

A place where a person might post a "HOW TO" document describing how to modify a stock firmware for a specific device to override carrier controlled lock downs. (For example, editing the CSC for a samsung device.)

A place for development related DISCUSSION - not just a subform for "I cobbled together mods I copied from other people into a so-called ROM and will now beg you to donate to me and press my "thanks" button."

XDA promotes itself as a DEVELOPERS FORUM. The definition of "forum" is "A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged." Doesn't that seem to indicate that development related discussion would be encouraged here?

(continued...)

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

So, the obvious question about my post above is how do you moderate a "developers discussion" subforum?

I honestly don't see a problem with that. You make posting access to that subforum by request only. The access should be granted pretty freely but with a note reminding the user that any non-development discussions will result in loss of access to those subforums. Plain and simple. Any RD's or ERD's would automatically be given access without the need to post a request.

Only developers should moderate those subforums, as the fact is that XDA has some moderators that have no clue whatsoever what "development" is.

I'd even go so far as to suggest that XDA's ERDs would be given final say in moderating those subforums. Actually, it might be a good idea to give ERDs final say in moderating all the development related forums - including the existing so-called "development" and "original development" subforums.

I'll have one more post to discuss the current vagueness of the rules and the random enforcement of them...
    Seriously tempted to just ban the next person who talks about the 10 post rule in here. Obviously they don't read the OP and don't care. They just want to complain. Well maybe I don't care about their accounts any more and will just delete them.
    I don't read this thread for over a day and all hell breaks loose.

Unfortunately, the last few pages is not the way I intended this thread to go. Instead of being suggestings to improve XDA, it has been steered down the road of "should we have OT threads in device forums or not"

Can we try and steer away from this for a second and get back to the threads purpose with sensible suggestions. Now with all suggestions, discussion needs to take place so we can decide if the proposal is worthwhile or not. This is not us (mods & admin) ruling out your suggestions, it is us discussing your suggestion to see whether or not it would work with XDA.

I personally value all suggestions, unfortunately we can not implement them all, but we (XDA) will do our best to listen, communicate with you and move forward with suggestions which will work

Thanks
    I think every overlooks one thing - if they try to spam OT, it's easy to find and remove, and reset their accounts. Our FSMs will spot it in device forums.

I think in general we catch spammers faster in OT than elsewhere... So surely that helps, given it keeps OT clean..

Regards to OT, I think the perceived problem is one of maturity. I know most of those involved claim to be adults, but some of the pointless threads about banana and llama are frankly a waste of space... OT used to be about mature debate and humour, but now it seems dominated by a highly insular group who spend inordinate amounts of time there, which would be more productively spent getting a job, or constructively posting to help people having problems..