Psa: DO NOT TAKE OTAs after updating to kitkat leak (nc2)

Search This thread

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

If you've installed the new Kitkat leak for the Verizon Note 3 (and you really really should install it -- see below for reasons why):

MAKE SURE YOU NEVER TAKE ANY OTA.

Here is a brief (and yet startling) list of advantages to the leaked Kitkat build that could be done away with in ANY future OTA for the Note 3:
  • At anytime you can use ODIN to go back to 4.3 for root, disaster recovery etc.
  • This leaked Kitkat build allows for *ANY* compatible kernel module to be used. Unlike any previous Note 3 build ever. No whitelist security is in place to block kernel modules which are not "approved". (pointed out by @ryanbg)
  • It's Kitkat but SElinux permissive. Also very very rare.

There are so many unique things about this build, that every user who installs it should treat it like gold and avoid OTAs like the plague.

For more information on the leak:
http://sxtpdevelopers.com/samsung-galaxy-note-3-verizon/

How to maintain root and use the leaked files:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2726558

And a new Safestrap for use with the new KK build (you'll need a 4.3 compatible Safestrap for the root process and a 4.4 compatible Safestrap for use after upating):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2517610

If you ever get a chance make sure to send thanks over to sxtpdevelopers (I don't think he has an XDA username anymore).

Last edited:

BossJ

Jul 23, 2007
So, help me understand this. Any kernel module? Does that mean... It works as a Dev version would? Any aosp / ge ROM would work eventually?

Same kind of process? Still not a true unlocked boatloader though?

BeansTown106

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 22, 2011
BeanTown USA
So, help me understand this. Any kernel module? Does that mean... It works as a Dev version would? Any aosp / ge ROM would work eventually?

this is a possibility, kernel modules being enabled makes it so kexec can work which then means aosp roms could work as well..

although alot of work has to be done to get kexec working on the note3. ALOT. but the hole for it is officially there :D

Borderpatrol1987

Dec 5, 2012
CIncinnati
To make sure I understand, does this mean that when 4.4.3 is released, we can pull the info for the nxp nfc hce and make it work before Verizon/Samsung do?

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda app-developers app

BossJ

Jul 23, 2007
this is a possibility, kernel modules being enabled makes it so kexec can work which then means aosp roms could work as well..

although alot of work has to be done to get kexec working on the note3. ALOT. but the hole for it is officially there :D

I feel like we are in the Droid Bionic days again :D God I love you guys! :D

Donations to all of you!

Hash: Confirmation number: ****7608N7815035E
Beans: Confirmation number: ****1220MF354073B
Bajasur: Confirmation number: ****5071CG663842F

If I missed someone let me know!

Last edited:

GreenGoblin227

Jun 27, 2010
Salisbury, MA
How do we block ota updates? Installed everything no issues. Thanks guys!! Almost have a Dev edition. Well feels like it to me.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

tokan_one

Dec 31, 2010
West Lafayette
It seems taking OTA updates won't be much an issue: Software Update can't connect to the Verizon Software Update servers.

2014-04-23%2004.14.34.png

Now only if we can get that stupid 3G/LTE icon to go away when WiFi is connected

Last edited:

rclar144

Dec 27, 2010
So what kernel options do we have!? Not sure which are for this 4.4.2 build. (BTW is Running awesome! )

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda app-developers app

ryanbg

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 3, 2008
movr0.com
@Hashcode @BeansTown106 Something to keep an eye out for; the rollback protection counters have two numbers, a major version and a minor version. The minor version tends to get overlooked very quickly. Luckily with this build, our minor version was the same, in addition to our major version, so we could downgrade. We may get an OTA that has a SW_ID flag like this
Code:
SW_ID:0000000[B]2[/B]0000000[B]9[/B]
The 2 is the major version, while the 9 is the minor version. The minor version could be up one increment, even if the major version is the same, and we won't be able to downgrade. The minor version I've been told is stored on RPMB and major version is stored in eFuse(?) which is apparently differentiated from QFPROM. Still looking into that, but be weary even if any future updates look downgrade-able. Ensure both numbers are the same before any OTA/update if you want to downgrade.

Last edited:

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
@Hashcode @BeansTown106 Something to keep an eye out for; the rollback protection counters have two numbers, a major version and a minor version. The minor version tends to get overlooked very quickly. Luckily with this build, our minor version was the same, in addition to our major version, so we could downgrade. We may get an OTA that has a SW_ID flag like this
Code:
SW_ID:0000000[B]2[/B]0000000[B]9[/B]
The 2 is the major version, while the 9 is the minor version. The minor version could be up one increment, even if the major version is the same, and we won't be able to downgrade. The minor version I've been told is stored on RPMB and major version is stored in eFuse(?) which is apparently differentiated from QFPROM. Still looking into that, but be weary even if any future updates look downgrade-able. Ensure both numbers are the same before any OTA/update if you want to downgrade.

Thanks for the heads up :)

Reactions: tw1n5nak35

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

If you've installed the new Kitkat leak for the Verizon Note 3 (and you really really should install it -- see below for reasons why):

MAKE SURE YOU NEVER TAKE ANY OTA.

Here is a brief (and yet startling) list of advantages to the leaked Kitkat build that could be done away with in ANY future OTA for the Note 3:
    • At anytime you can use ODIN to go back to 4.3 for root, disaster recovery etc.
    • This leaked Kitkat build allows for *ANY* compatible kernel module to be used. Unlike any previous Note 3 build ever. No whitelist security is in place to block kernel modules which are not "approved". (pointed out by @ryanbg)
    • It's Kitkat but SElinux permissive. Also very very rare.

There are so many unique things about this build, that every user who installs it should treat it like gold and avoid OTAs like the plague.

For more information on the leak:
    http://sxtpdevelopers.com/samsung-galaxy-note-3-verizon/

How to maintain root and use the leaked files:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2726558

And a new Safestrap for use with the new KK build (you'll need a 4.3 compatible Safestrap for the root process and a 4.4 compatible Safestrap for use after upating):
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2517610

If you ever get a chance make sure to send thanks over to sxtpdevelopers (I don't think he has an XDA username anymore).
    This Was Definetly an Amazing Find!!
    If we wait and take the official 4.4.2 from vzw will there be a new root method?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

If you wait and take the official 4.4.2 there may not be a root method AND you will probably not be able to roll back like you can with the current 4.4.2 leak (for distaster recovery etc).

This why I'm encouraging as many users to get on this leak as I can.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Okay, before this gets out of control. Kexec is now possible, yes. BUT, kexec is VERY finicky and difficult to get working properly. When you dump the running kernel and replace it, all the hardware/services/processes your kernel was running become very confused and have no idea what state the hardware is in, or what various system services and processes were doing. In order for kexec to work, the old kernel needs to be 'bridged' properly meaning the new kernel needs to pick up where the old kernel left off. The new kernel needs to inform the harwdare of its state, especially the modem, and all other ciritical attached processes/services.

In order to do this, it takes a significant amount of time, debugging, trial and error, etc... I'm not the right person to do it, but I'm sure @Hashcode could give it a great attempt, and I bet he already is. However, it is going to take more than a couple days to get kexec working, IF it works. It will take a long time. You guys will have to be patient as kexec is tricky. I'm sure if Hash makes any progress, he will let you guys know when the time is right. For now though, I wouldn't even bother asking. It's a very tedious and timely process.