baseband question

Search This thread

orateam

Jun 20, 2005
Orlando
I have the good MDK baseband and currently on Hyperdrive AOSP. I wanted to upgrade my radio. Is this the same as baseband, will it break something?

heath2805

Sep 28, 2009
Baltimore, MD

orateam

Jun 20, 2005
Orlando

thedoman

Apr 26, 2011
Ohio
Could flashing a radio other than mdk on mdk bootloader Bork your ability to make calls? I flashed mk2 radio over mdk bootloader and could not make calls on Sammy roms but could if I flashed cm based roms.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gnubian

Mar 15, 2012
Asheville
Thanks.

And just because i can't figure this one thing out. How come so many people who upgrade their phones are locked out of unlocking/root, yet i can go up and down ?

You can go up and down in terms of radios and android versions, not builds. We're you to odin to anything but mdk you would be stuck in a state where you could not regain an unlocked bootloader. All builds have a root method though. If this is something you don't understand I would research it more, simply to prevent you from accidentally losing your mdk build.

orateam

Jun 20, 2005
Orlando
You can go up and down in terms of radios and android versions, not builds.

ahh, so narrowed it down to builds. So what is a build? I have ODINed before, obviously to MDK. When a build, such as hyperdrive or eclipse 4.4.2 is made, it seems that they keep the parts that link back to MDK. What is that part? The reason i ask is because i want to start making my own builds and would like a deep understanding so i don't screw up.

gnubian

Mar 15, 2012
Asheville
ahh, so narrowed it down to builds. So what is a build? I have ODINed before, obviously to MDK. When a build, such as hyperdrive or eclipse 4.4.2 is made, it seems that they keep the parts that link back to MDK. What is that part? The reason i ask is because i want to start making my own builds and would like a deep understanding so i don't screw up.

Those roms (I'm assuming) don't touch the bootloader, which is the part of the mdk build that you must not change in order to maintain the loki exploit that allows you to load custom roms and kernels. If you build a rom from aosp source or what have you just make sure it doesn't include any parts of the bootloader/boot chain and you should be ok.

Read this if you haven't already

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2606501