Getting no signal when calling.

Search This thread

humritumri

Apr 19, 2014
Hello Everyone,

I am running the Virgin Rom with Ktoonsez.

I have been trying to find out the solution for more than two week but cannot find the solution. I got this strange problem in my phone, When I put my phone idle I get the full lte signal but however when i try to call someone all my signal get disappear but the strange thing is i can still talk to that person without the signal. As soon as i hang up my phone i would get all my signal back, when i get my signal back i can do normal browsing, watch video etc. I mean its no major issue, I was just wondering whether if there is any solution to get any signal bar back.

Last edited:

JORDVN

Sep 28, 2013
Las Vegas
Hello Everyone,

I have been trying to find out the solution for more than two week but cannot find the solution. I got this strange problem in my phone, When I put my phone idle I get the full lte signal but however when i try to call someone all my signal get disappear but the strange thing is i can still talk to that person without the signal. As soon as i hang up my phone i would get all my signal back, when i get my signal back i can do normal browsing, watch video etc. I mean its no major issue, I was just wondering whether if there is any solution to get any signal bar back.

More device details please friend. What baseband are you on? NB4? If not, then you need to be on NB4 modem. If so, then it's possibly a kernel related issue I suggest flashing the latest build of Ktoonez kernel for AOSP, be sure to flash the right one for your phone. Example, don't flash the TouchWiz version

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

bobolinko

Nov 5, 2010
Everett WA
Hello Everyone,

Sounds like it's working as it should! LTE cannot process phone calls so the device switches to 4g or edge depending on your area's reception. after the call is terminated, there is a very short delay, and you're reconnected to LTE (if there is reception for lte where you're at)

The device (depending on your settings) will try LTE, then 4G, then last resort to Edge when it's not on a call and just idling. It will connect when your device wants to access the internet or whatever, and selects the proper frequency (or mode) and use that for the connection..

check Settings/More Networks/Moble networks------ then under Network mode, you will see the connection choice.
if you tap on the network mode, it will give you different connection choices.

If you want LTE, you have only one choice and it downgrades itself as required as explained above.
you can save battery power by going to a lower frequency (like GSM only - which is edge Edge)

hope this helps you understand!
Aloha!

Reactions: PanchoPlanet

robandcathy

Aug 22, 2009
I want to flash the NB4 modem since im having the conection and do know how to use odin, just curious how to flash the modem as a .rar, I thought it had to be a .tar. so I felt it would be better to ask first before I brick my phone. I used the download for "Insane kit kat" I even unzipped it to find it still in .rar format

PanchoPlanet

Oct 15, 2011
Crooklyn
For sure. I'm on C-Rom and I noticed the default apn settings were a little wacky. So after editing them, I'm running great with signal and of course free unlimited WiFi tether

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Free mobile app

How do I know what APN settings I should have?
Or if they are wacky?

Is there a guide?

Pp.

sent from my bluetooth controlled toaster that also takes pictures.

JORDVN

Sep 28, 2013
Las Vegas
I want to flash the NB4 modem since im having the conection and do know how to use odin, just curious how to flash the modem as a .rar, I thought it had to be a .tar. so I felt it would be better to ask first before I brick my phone. I used the download for "Insane kit kat" I even unzipped it to find it still in .rar format

If you properly unzipped it and placed it in the phone slot of your odin program, you should be fine. Most people fail with either unzipping or placing it into the correct slot which in this case is the phone slot and not the PDA that you would use for a lot of other functions.

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

How do I know what APN settings I should have?
Or if they are wacky?

Is there a guide?

Pp.

If you're running on T-Mobile, you should only see tmobile APN options available. Take a screenshot of all the available options that you have

PanchoPlanet

Oct 15, 2011
Crooklyn
If you're running on T-Mobile, you should only see tmobile APN options available. Take a screenshot of all the available options that you have

This is what I have.

Pp.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Everyone,

Sounds like it's working as it should! LTE cannot process phone calls so the device switches to 4g or edge depending on your area's reception. after the call is terminated, there is a very short delay, and you're reconnected to LTE (if there is reception for lte where you're at)

The device (depending on your settings) will try LTE, then 4G, then last resort to Edge when it's not on a call and just idling. It will connect when your device wants to access the internet or whatever, and selects the proper frequency (or mode) and use that for the connection..

check Settings/More Networks/Moble networks------ then under Network mode, you will see the connection choice.
    if you tap on the network mode, it will give you different connection choices.

If you want LTE, you have only one choice and it downgrades itself as required as explained above.
    you can save battery power by going to a lower frequency (like GSM only - which is edge Edge)

hope this helps you understand!
    Aloha!