[MOD][4.2.1/4.2][JOP40D/JOP40C] Tethering/Wifi Hotspot for the Nexus 7 3G

Search This thread

emprizer

Feb 15, 2013
Can anyone upload the factory zip for JOP40C ?

Best Regards!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

adrian08

Oct 8, 2011
So in case I'm in 4.2.2, I can't flash this as of now right as there's no zip file compatible for 4.2.2 yet?

chimpanzeexda

Dec 10, 2011
So in case I'm in 4.2.2, I can't flash this as of now right as there's no zip file compatible for 4.2.2 yet?

use frameworkflasher to make your own. the changes are pretty minimal in the value/arrays.xml(I don't know why it is so secretive). But always keep a copy of the original one to reflash it for future OTA(or it case the patched one fails).

<string-array name="config_tether_usb_regexs">
<item>rndis\\d</item>
</string-array>
<string-array name="config_tether_wifi_regexs">
<item>wlan\\d</item>
</string-array>
<array name="config_tether_wimax_regexs" />
<string-array name="config_tether_bluetooth_regexs">
<item>bnep\\d</item>
</string-array>
<array name="config_tether_dhcp_range" />
<array name="config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app" />
<integer-array name="config_tether_upstream_types">
<item>0</item>
<item>1</item>
<item>5</item>
<item>7</item>
</integer-array>

Reactions: PTzero

adrian08

Oct 8, 2011
use frameworkflasher to make your own. the changes are pretty minimal in the value/arrays.xml(I don't know why it is so secretive). But always keep a copy of the original one to reflash it for future OTA(or it case the patched one fails).

<item>rndis\\d</item>
</string-array>
<item>wlan\\d</item>
</string-array>
<item>bnep\\d</item>
</string-array>
<item>0</item>
<item>1</item>
<item>5</item>
<item>7</item>
</integer-array>

Thanks for the tip but I guess I'm really not that techie for this. Any further specific instructions? :(

xnomad

May 23, 2007
Hi thanks for your help!! :) i already did it and it works.

Im gonna write how i did it for other with the same problem:
The next steps are for enable recovery options in fastboot menu, so that you can install zip files and other options

1. First download Google Nexus_7_ToolKit_v4.0.0 and install it
It comes in this threat
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1809195
3. After that enable USB debugging on nexus 7, to do that, go to "Settings > About tablet" and click several times in "Build number" it shoud say you are developer or something like that. Then go back to settings and in Developer options check the USB debugging mode.
4. Then start Google Nexus 7 ToolKit on your pc, by default its installed in c:/Google Nexus 7 ToolKit/ToolKit.exe
5. You can choose to update or not, but you can automatically update only if you donate.
6. After that you have to choose the version of you nexus by introducing the number and then enter, in my case y use option (6. Android 4.2.1 build JOP40D) for 3g version (i dont know if it works in only wifi so do it under your own risk)
7. Stop in the next screen and turn off your nexus, then turn it on in Fastboot mode, to do that i use (volume- and power button) first press volume down and holding press power on button and hold both buttons till a screen appers, and leave the nexus like this, and connect it to your pc via usb cable (be sure to have installed drivers when installing Nexus 7 Toolkit so that your pc recognices the nexus 7).
8. Then back to the computer i choose option (8 1-click for all unlock, root, reneame, custon recovery, etc )
9. Then select option 2 SuperSu by chainFire, cause when i did this i have android 4.2.1 on my nexus, the other option doesnt work for my version of android
10. Then I choose option (1. Clockworkmod touch recovey) and after that it will ask you to confirm so write yes and then hit enter.
11. Then wait till the process finish, and if everything go well you should see in your nexus aplications one called “SuperSU”

Then to enable tethering and hotspot :D

1. Download the enabletether-JOP40D that stridger (The creator of the post(Thanks!!)) upload or the enabletether-JOP40C according to your nexus 7
2. And connect your nexus 7 to your computer and save the “enabletether-JOP40D.zip” on the root directory of sdcard
3. Then turn off your nexus 7 and turn it on in fastboot mode again pressing and holding volume down and power up.
4. Then navigate through menu with volume up and volume down, to “Recovery Mode” and press power button to choose, then wait a little, it should show you a menu.
5. Here choose “Install zip from sdcard” > Choose zip from sdcard > 0/ > enabletether-JOP40D.zip or wherever you save it and press power buttom to choose it, wait to the installation ends, and that’s all, reboot your nexus 7, and look for the option in Settings > More Settings > Tethering and portable hotspot
Hope this help people like me that have this problem.
Thanks everyone

I tried all above but failed. In enabling the JOP40C, there is no option sdcard. What I see "Recovery mode -> Apply update from ADB -> Now send the package you want to apply to the device with "adb sideload <filename>"". It ends here since I can't find the files. Earlier, I saved the files in c:\Google Nexus 7 ToolKit\put_zip_file_to_sideload_here\enabletether-JOP40D.zip Please HELP!

Matteo 88

Oct 2, 2012
Linz
I tried all above but failed. In enabling the JOP40C, there is no option sdcard. What I see "Recovery mode -> Apply update from ADB -> Now send the package you want to apply to the device with "adb sideload <filename>"". It ends here since I can't find the files. Earlier, I saved the files in c:\Google Nexus 7 ToolKit\put_zip_file_to_sideload_here\enabletether-JOP40D.zip Please HELP!

try this with sideload or install from cwm

Enabletether_JDQ39.zip

you may hit thanks button if it works.
HF trying

reupped new version.

Last edited:

Craig Berman

Feb 10, 2013
Posted 4.2.2 zip did not work

The zip posted by Matteo 88 didn't work for me. Got into a boot-loop and had to restore the framework. Any suggestions?

ScanaX

Nov 6, 2010
Palermo
R: [MOD][4.2.1/4.2][JOP40D/JOP40C] Tethering/Wifi Hotspot for the Nexus 7 3G

Sorry, but I am a noob. Is there a possibile to have a flashable zip?
Or please someone can explain how to restore if tablet will go in boot loop.

THX!

Matteo 88

Oct 2, 2012
Linz
Sorry, but I am a noob. Is there a possibile to have a flashable zip?
Or please someone can explain how to restore if tablet will go in boot loop.

THX!

Both files should be flashable since i took stridgers enabletether zip files and just changed the framework-res.apk
so the stock 422 zip flashes stock framework-res.apk
and the enable tether flashes my modified framework res apk

where i just changed the lines chimpanzeexda told needed to be changed to enable tether.

since it works for me and i dont know why it doesnt work on the first flash for some of you
you need to try if you can get it to work yourselves reflashing it a secont time or so.
thats why i am also sharing stock framework so you can go back to stock.

Reactions: ScanaX

Craig Berman

Feb 10, 2013
Worked on second attempt with new zip

Had trouble upgrading to 4.2.2 in the first place (even after flashing stock 4.2.1 system.img). Still had a Status 7 error. I gave up on that approach.

Once I had the stock 4.2.2 image in place I had the same experience as the others. First attempt at enabling the tether with the recompiled zip gave me a boot loop. Restored to stock framework apk and then tried again. Worked on second attempt. Strange! Thanks!

ScanaX

Nov 6, 2010
Palermo
Flashed using CWM and all works great at first try.
Probably an issue with other recovery or a particular version?
I used "clockwork-touch-6.0.2.3" and all goes fine.
Thank you guys for your job and your help!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PLEASE USE WITH CAUTION AND ONLY IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR BRICKED DEVICES.

You may have noticed that the Nexus 7 3G does not have the tethering options enabled by default.

I couldn't live with that (that was partially the point why I got the 3G version), so have patched the framework to enable those options. Partial credits go to PaulOBrien@MoDaCo who has fixed the apktool for Android 4.2 .

To get it to work just flash the ZIP below. It will only work on the JOP40D and JOP40C releases, and obviously only if you have a 3G device. Please do not try it on the WiFi-only Nexus 7 :) .

Please note that it doesn't do a backup of the original framework-res.apk, so you can either make one yourself, or you can reflash the factory system image if you want to go back to stock later.

4.2.1 (JOP40D):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/oti37qsc265me8t/enabletether-JOP40D.zip

4.2 (JOP40C):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9tswcvz50op8rfu/enabletether-JOP40C.zip
    I really would appreciate flashable zip to enable tethering for 4.3.:sly:
    Thanks in advance !

Hi i just pulled the file decompressed it and it works for me i will aditionally put a small guide here:

after pulling framework-res.apk and decompiling modify the following lines in /res/values/arrays.xml

<array name="config_tether_usb_regexs" />
    <array name="config_tether_wifi_regexs" />
    <array name="config_tether_bluetooth_regexs" />
    <array name="config_tether_upstream_types" />

to

<item>rndis\\d</item>
    </string-array>
    <item>wlan\\d</item>
    </string-array>
    <item>bnep\\d</item>
    </string-array>
    <item>0</item>
    <item>1</item>
    <item>5</item>
    <item>7</item>
    </integer-array>

recompile the framework-res.apk sign it and u are ready to go.

Here are the links for the stock framework and the tether mod:

Stock Framework 4.3
    Tether enabled

U can flash them with sideload and i recommend a cache wipe after it.

HF
    Hi Folks,

as far i could tell there are no diferences in the stock framework-res.apk but i think i fixed the bootloop error on first install and i made a new enable tether file for jwr66y anyways hf flashing.

Enable Tether jwr66y
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B94bfpTec3GpdWpjclNteGhOQmM/edit
    Successfully flashed this over 4.2.2
    Worked on first boot without problems. Currently tethering over wifi.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
    bootloop even with 3rd try :(

Try this version. It's works for Me.

8953c95366caf1e9ab6a9f50f7337f1e thether-JDQ39.zip

Flashed via TWRP without any problems, bootloops.