[Q] Take OTA update?

Search This thread

str8nitro

Mar 1, 2011
Just picked up my note 3 running 4.3 an hour ago and have not unlocked/rooted/custom recovery it yet, still 100% stock. There is an OTA available and I was wondering if I should take it before rooting?
Thanks in advance

str8nitro

Mar 1, 2011
Thank you very much for your answer MrWicked! One more question if I may ... I just came from US Cellular with the Note 2 to Sprint with the Note 3 - we had very little development there compared to here. I have read a ton of topics on here today about Knox, NAB engineering bootloader, Odin ... etc. and I understand that and how to follow instructions, but I see several different ways. I was wondering which method you used or would suggest? All I am trying to accomplish at this point is root, custom recovery, a (close to) stock rom, (hopefully) not trip the Knox trigger, and run titanium backup (which I read there are issues with that I have to fix afterwards).

Ok couple things, no matter what root method you chose once you flash a recovery it will trip knox. So that being said you have a couple options......

1. You flash via odin the kitkat update and use the "kingo" root method which I personally have not tried and can't give much input on. It is not supposed to trip knox it leaves you rooted but with your stock recovery. Once you flash a recovery you trip knox. But you are stuck with a stock rooted rom in which you could use titanium backup.

2. You flash the kitkat via odin, and you use Chainfire's method(which is what i did personally) I have always had good luck with Chainfire's root methods. but then it trips knox and you can flash a recovery and flash what ever roms you like. But at this time technically you warranty is voided with Samsung.

Reactions: str8nitro

rcjunky

Jun 10, 2013
Just picked up my note 3 running 4.3 an hour ago and have not unlocked/rooted/custom recovery it yet, still 100% stock. There is an OTA available and I was wondering if I should take it before rooting?
Thanks in advance

I would wait on kitkat. I have been running it on a stock n3 for about a wk now and I'm not liking it at all. my bluetooth for my car is very buggy, stock email is buggy and I'm getting a 3rd less battery out of it. I would have 70% left at the end of my day now I'm lucky if I have 50%. I would wait for kitkat until they work out the bugs.

I would wait on kitkat. I have been running it on a stock n3 for about a wk now and I'm not liking it at all. my bluetooth for my car is very buggy, stock email is buggy and I'm getting a 3rd less battery out of it. I would have 70% left at the end of my day now I'm lucky if I have 50%. I would wait for kitkat until they work out the bugs.

Obviously it varies per phone but what are you running? I had the opposite effect Bluetooth in car is wayyyyy better and battery life is great. But I'm running Sacs v1 KitKat so that might be why we are having different experiences also.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

str8nitro

Mar 1, 2011

Thanks for the advice on this, may I ask what Rom you are on?

Obviously it varies per phone but what are you running? I had the opposite effect Bluetooth in car is wayyyyy better and battery life is great. But I'm running Sacs v1 KitKat so that might be why we are having different experiences also.

Been reading up on Sacs v1 and it looks like I wouldn't have a problem if I go this route since I am on mj4. It looks like I can follow the instructions completely from rlmiller here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=50794223&postcount=20 and do my root and everything in one stop shopping. Also from what I have read once I go to kit kat I can't go back to jelly bean ... I would assume there would be no reason to back up my stock rom after rooting since I can't go back ever.

Last edited:

Been reading up on Sacs v1 and it looks like I wouldn't have a problem if I go this route since I am on mj4. It looks like I can follow the instructions completely from rlmiller here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=50794223&postcount=20 and do my root and everything in one stop shopping. Also from what I have read once I go to kit kat I can't go back to jelly bean ... I would assume there would be no reason to back up my stock rom after rooting since I can't go back ever.

Yep

I have used TWRP before but mostly CM, I am not familiar with PHILZ at all, Is one better than the other? I really appreciate your time and advice here as I am sure others with the same questions will as well. Thanks!

Personally I love twrp but it doesn't always seem to go as smooth with it. Philz is a modified version of Cm. Philz is rpetty much the go to for least amount of problems.

str8nitro

Mar 1, 2011
Personally I love twrp but it doesn't always seem to go as smooth with it. Philz is a modified version of Cm. Philz is rpetty much the go to for least amount of problems.

I will give it a go then, I thought I read something about "NAB engineering bootloader" with Philz, is this something I need to read up on more or self explanatory once I get into it?

str8nitro

Mar 1, 2011
Haven't used the Engineering one personally to me it didn't give me any benefits for now for me to flash it

SOrry for so many questions, but I saw that a few people has issues. Hopefully last question and I will be golden ... For Philz I see to downloads in the link provided by rlmiller - philz_touch_6.12.9-hltespr.tar.md5 and philz_touch_6.12.9-hltespr compared to just one file for TWRP - TWRP KITKAT hltespr-recovery-4.4.img. To use Philz do I need just one file or both? The reason I ask is because in the instructions it says "And lastly....
Now powerdown phone and start up in download mode again.
start odin and plugin phone again.
now click in phone slot and browse to TWRP file
you now click start and wait until it says pass and reboots. Unplug and wait for startup"
But it does not give instruction for Philz, which is 2 different files that are not the same as the TWRP.

SOrry for so many questions, but I saw that a few people has issues. Hopefully last question and I will be golden ... For Philz I see to downloads in the link provided by rlmiller - philz_touch_6.12.9-hltespr.tar.md5 and philz_touch_6.12.9-hltespr compared to just one file for TWRP - TWRP KITKAT hltespr-recovery-4.4.img. To use Philz do I need just one file or both? The reason I ask is because in the instructions it says "And lastly....
now click in phone slot and browse to TWRP file
you now click start and wait until it says pass and reboots. Unplug and wait for startup"
But it does not give instruction for Philz, which is 2 different files that are not the same as the TWRP.

No just flash the stock....let it load up....reboot into dl again...odin cf autoroot....boot up....then reboot dl mode again then you can flash which ever recovery you like twrp or philz.....then load up reboot to recovery I would make a backup then flash Sacs rom....then you should be all good to go. And no prob on the questions it's better to ask then not.

str8nitro

Mar 1, 2011
No just flash the stock....let it load up....reboot into dl again...odin cf autoroot....boot up....then reboot dl mode again then you can flash which ever recovery you like twrp or philz.....then load up reboot to recovery I would make a backup then flash Sacs rom....then you should be all good to go. And no prob on the questions it's better to ask then not.

Sorry, I think I didn't explain well. I am going to go with Philz because it worked well for you, but my question was which Philz file:

philz_touch_6.12.9-hltespr.tar.md5
or
philz_touch_6.12.9-hltespr

do I use in whe I get to the TWRP area of the instructions:

now click in phone slot and browse to TWRP file <----------------------------------- here
you now click start and wait until it says pass and reboots. Unplug and wait for startup

rcjunky

Jun 10, 2013

I am stock no root at this time. ota update.

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

I am stock no root at this with the ota update.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can either, accept the ota and then root(which I never liked accepting a ota cause Im cautious of downloads being corrupt.) Or you can download a odin version of kitkat and flash thru odin then root(which is what I did)
    Ok couple things, no matter what root method you chose once you flash a recovery it will trip knox. So that being said you have a couple options......

1. You flash via odin the kitkat update and use the "kingo" root method which I personally have not tried and can't give much input on. It is not supposed to trip knox it leaves you rooted but with your stock recovery. Once you flash a recovery you trip knox. But you are stuck with a stock rooted rom in which you could use titanium backup.

2. You flash the kitkat via odin, and you use Chainfire's method(which is what i did personally) I have always had good luck with Chainfire's root methods. but then it trips knox and you can flash a recovery and flash what ever roms you like. But at this time technically you warranty is voided with Samsung.

Yep
    I have used TWRP before but mostly CM, I am not familiar with PHILZ at all, Is one better than the other? I really appreciate your time and advice here as I am sure others with the same questions will as well. Thanks!