[Q] Google Play Services Battery Drain

Search This thread

DevVorteX

Jul 17, 2013
Orlando
Hello all, I recently purchased an S5 for myself and my wife on T-Mobile. Our phones are set up almost exactly the same. We both have two gmail accounts on our phones. One of which is our "main" account, and another that's just set to sync gmail. Her accounts are not the same two as mine, it's more like we each have our own main gmail, and kind of a junk gmail account.

Her phone is getting better much better battery than mine.

When checking battery usage stats, google play services is at the top of my list all the time.

Keep in mind, the conditions over the weekend for our phones was almost identical. Very few calls, we were at home on wifi, and out on cell data pretty much the same amount of time.

I've turned off location reporting and history for google now to see if that helps. But I've checked, and my wife's has been on the same as mine the whole time.

I'm wondering if there's something obvious I'm overlooking, maybe a setting for google now or maps or syncing.

Is there anything I can do to track down which service or setting is draining my battery. I'm not rooted...

Any tips/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

fastyan

Aug 30, 2008
Have you got Skype installed? If so uninstall it, I had the same issue and could just get my phone through a whole day! Read about a Skype and kitkat issue and now 10 hours in I have 77% battery left :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

DevVorteX

Jul 17, 2013
Orlando
Have you got Skype installed? If so uninstall it, I had the same issue and could just get my phone through a whole day! Read about a Skype and kitkat issue and now 10 hours in I have 77% battery left :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Nope, no Skype. But so far turning off location reporting in Google now seems to be helping.

Kind of a lame fix seeing my wife doesn't have a problem. Maybe I've got something different linked to my account, like some location it's searching for. Who knows, lol

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk