[Q] Audio issues- background noise

Search This thread

HiddenSanctum

Jun 12, 2011
Seattle
I received my second HTC One (Black) on the 19th of April and unfortunately it has exactly the same problem as the first, it is from a much more recent batch as well (April).

I get a loud hissing sound while watching youtube videos and playing games, while watching the new superman trailer on youtube you can hear the hissing from across the room which ruins the phone for me.

I never actually got to test call quality on my first HTC One since I hadn't been sent my new sim card but I have tested it on my current One and I get hissing when ever someone talks / there is noise.

I notice their are a few people saying audio is perfect and they can't hear any hissing a tall but they seem to be in the minority. Unfortunately my current HTC One has multiple dead pixels and along with the audio problems I think I'm about ready to give up which is a shame because this is an amazing phone.

-Aziki

I just tested that Superman Trailer with my HTC One and compared it to my Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

I do hear the hissing but only when Beats is turned on. When I turn Beats off it sound exactly the same my Galaxy Nexus.
Also with Beats turned on, play my own audio files there is no hissing.

This leads me to two theories. One, its a software issue. Two, the issue is not the phone but the audio quality of the file itself. From what I've heard Beats seems to amplify everything in the sound itself, thus possibly amplifying the noise that was there already but we couldn't hear it.

Can anyone confirm this with me with the Superman trailer?

Aziki

Apr 2, 2013
I just tested that Superman Trailer with my HTC One and compared it to my Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

I do hear the hissing but only when Beats is turned on. When I turn Beats off it sound exactly the same my Galaxy Nexus.
Also with Beats turned on, play my own audio files there is no hissing.

This leads me to two theories. One, its a software issue. Two, the issue is not the phone but the audio quality of the file itself. From what I've heard Beats seems to amplify everything in the sound itself, thus possibly amplifying the noise that was there already but we couldn't hear it.

Can anyone confirm this with me with the Superman trailer?

I tested the Superman trailer on a GS3 just to see if it was a problem with the actual file and I couldn't really hear the hissing a tall.

I could understand getting the hissing if you put your ear right to the speaker but I can hear it with the phone across the room in certain situations. I must admit Beats audio does make it worse but as far as I'm aware HTC haven't actually acknowledged the problem so who knows whether it's a software problem they will fix in an update or if it is a hardware problem that can't be fixed without hardware a revision.

-Aziki

HiddenSanctum

Jun 12, 2011
Seattle
I tested the Superman trailer on a GS3 just to see if it was a problem with the actual file and I couldn't really hear the hissing a tall.

I could understand getting the hissing if you put your ear right to the speaker but I can hear it with the phone across the room in certain situations. I must admit Beats audio does make it worse but as far as I'm aware HTC haven't actually acknowledged the problem so who knows whether it's a software problem they will fix in an update or if it is a hardware problem that can't be fixed without hardware a revision.

-Aziki

Do you hear it even if Beats is off on your HTC One though?

Aziki

Apr 2, 2013
Do you hear it even if Beats is off on your HTC One though?

I can still hear it with Beats turned off but it's definitely not as noticeable. Once the trailer gets to a point with more background noise it's even less noticeable still but is still there in the background.

I would probably live with it if I knew for certain they would fix it with a software update in the future but unfortunately even when someone spoke to a manager at HTC they seemed to indicate there was no known software problems. Once I notice something it's really hard for me to ignore it and I know it will bug the hell out of my in the future.

-Aziki

HiddenSanctum

Jun 12, 2011
Seattle
I can still hear it with Beats turned off but it's definitely not as noticeable. Once the trailer gets to a point with more background noise it's even less noticeable still but is still there in the background.

I would probably live with it if I knew for certain they would fix it with a software update in the future but unfortunately even when someone spoke to a manager at HTC they seemed to indicate there was no known software problems. Once I notice something it's really hard for me to ignore it and I know it will bug the hell out of my in the future.

-Aziki

I hear you on that one, bit OCD myself. I don't seem to hear it with beats off though. It sounds the same as my galaxy nexus. Fairly certain its a software issue but only time will tell on this one. Phone is definitely one of the best I've owned though. Since you have to swap it for dead pixels maybe try again? Good luck!

Aziki

Apr 2, 2013
I hear you on that one, bit OCD myself. I don't seem to hear it with beats off though. It sounds the same as my galaxy nexus. Fairly certain its a software issue but only time will tell on this one. Phone is definitely one of the best I've owned though. Since you have to swap it for dead pixels maybe try again? Good luck!

I just watched the trailer on my Galaxy S and if you put your ear right next to the speaker there is a slight hiss in the background but when using the phone normally you can't hear it so I'm guessing it is something to do with the volume / Beats on the One and the front facing speakers. I'm not entirely sure if they would be able to fix it with a software update or not but I'm guessing they could make it less noticeable.

If it was only a minor hissing I could probably get used to it but it can be quite distracting sometimes and unfortunately when watching youtube videos there is cracks / pops in the audio which don't actually seem to be part of the video as it isn't present on other phones, I'm guessing this will be fixed by an update though.

This problem also affects phone calls for me as well, every time the person on the other end talks you get a hiss in the background which is quite annoying. All in all the phone is great and would be a huge upgrade from my Galaxy S but I'm not really sure if I want to wait around for the problems to be fixed when the Galaxy S4 is out soon :/.

-Aziki

Last edited:

HiddenSanctum

Jun 12, 2011
Seattle
I just watched the trailer on my Galaxy S and if you put your ear right next to the speaker there is a slight hiss in the background but when using the phone normally you can't hear it so I'm guessing it is something to do with the volume / Beats on the One and the front facing speakers. I'm not entirely sure if they would be able to fix it with a software update or not but I'm guessing they could make it less noticeable.

If it was only a minor hissing I could probably get used to it but it can be quite distracting sometimes and unfortunately when watching youtube videos there is cracks / pops in the audio which don't actually seem to be part of the video as it isn't present on other phones, I'm guessing this will be fixed by an update though.

This problem also affects phone calls for me as well, every time the person on the other end talks you get a hiss in the background which is quite annoying. All in all the phone is great and would be a huge upgrade from my Galaxy S but I'm not really sure if I want to wait around for the problems to be fixed when the Galaxy S4 is out soon :/.

-Aziki

I see, I was testing through headphones actually. Will need to test the speakers in the morning. Personally I was not impressed and quite disappointed by the S4 when I heard the conference. Seemed more of a S3+. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Aziki

Apr 2, 2013
I see, I was testing through headphones actually. Will need to test the speakers in the morning. Personally I was not impressed and quite disappointed by the S4 when I heard the conference. Seemed more of a S3+. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

It is present when using both the headphones / speakers but it's definitely more noticeable when using the speakers (at least to me).

I agree that the S4 isn't really that impressive, well at least when it comes to design, the HTC One blows it out the water but unfortunately it's not all about design and I know the sound problem will annoy me more and more and I will regret keeping the phone eventually.

-Aziki

ste1164

Jan 16, 2010
Darlington
It's a software problem and HTC are aware of it, the power transference to the amp may be too high. HTC Taiwan is looking into it.

Aziki

Apr 2, 2013
It's a software problem and HTC are aware of it, the power transference to the amp may be too high. HTC Taiwan is looking into it.

Hi,

Was just wondering where you heard this from as in the past HTC haven't acknowledged any problems with the software. (Previously in this thread someone posted they had spoken to a manager at HTC about it).

If this is definitely true and it's going to be fixed in the near future I would definitely consider keeping my HTC One (well, getting it replaced since it has multiple dead pixels ;p).

-Aziki

Fensy

Dec 15, 2009
London

I would also like to know where you heard this from as I am just about to send my phone back. If there is a chance that my replacement will also have this issue and if it is indeed a software problem that HTC are working on fixing then I may just hang on to it.

Aziki

Apr 2, 2013
I was in contact with HTC as my device had that & popping issues.

Good to know that they have actually acknowledged the problem and will hopefully fix it. I will probably ring them tomorrow just to confirm as I don't want to be stuck with the device if they aren't going to fix it a tall / anytime soon.

-Aziki

mr_sock

Apr 21, 2013
I think initially it was beats audio and noise cancelling technology. It is puzzling that some people can hear it and others cannot.
It seems their more recent batch has bit more issues than older...

indup

Nov 2, 2008
since yesterday my phone has developed a just about audible popping sound whenever i touch the screen. its a very feint pop sound that happens about 2 seconds after touching the screen. i dont have it when playing audio just on scren selections. if i turn system sounds off in settings i dont have it.
is this likely to be a software or hardwear issue? if hardwear then an handset exchange maybe called for.

slind

Aug 18, 2007
Bremen
since yesterday my phone has developed a just about audible popping sound whenever i touch the screen. its a very feint pop sound that happens about 2 seconds after touching the screen. i dont have it when playing audio just on scren selections. if i turn system sounds off in settings i dont have it.
is this likely to be a software or hardwear issue? if hardwear then an handset exchange maybe called for.

Happening when the speaker is activated. It's a general problem. It's a "plop" when then speaker is shut down. I contacted HTC about it and they say they were not aware of the issue and I had to send in the unit. But as it happened on all of the twelve ONEs I came across, this seems to be a wide spread/general problem.

yvibes

Mar 28, 2011
London
I have these popping and hissing issues as well. My phone is rooted and bootloader unlocked so I'm on the latest custom roms that have the 1.29xxx.12 firmware and the changelog from htc included that beats audio has been improved, hissing problems have been improved, sound quality in general is improved. They are still fixing the sound further with the next leaked firmware as well so its probably a software issue and htc are aware of it and are trying to fix it.

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

Aziki

Apr 2, 2013
I have these popping and hissing issues as well. My phone is rooted and bootloader unlocked so I'm on the latest custom roms that have the 1.29xxx.12 firmware and the changelog from htc included that beats audio has been improved, hissing problems have been improved, sound quality in general is improved. They are still fixing the sound further with the next leaked firmware as well so its probably a software issue and htc are aware of it and are trying to fix it.

I was just about to come onto this thread and ask if anyone had applied the latest update and if it had fixed the problem.

I'm glad it's at least made a difference and they are still working on the problem to completely fix it. I was planning to send my phone back and possibly get a Galaxy S4 but I think I will just exchange it (I have a few dead pixels as well as the poor audio / hissing problem).

Just out of interest did you have hissing in the background when making calls? (ie when someone speaks on the other end) and has the update fixed / helped reduce this problem as well?

Thanks,
-Aziki

yvibes

Mar 28, 2011
London
I was just about to come onto this thread and ask if anyone had applied the latest update and if it had fixed the problem.

I'm glad it's at least made a difference and they are still working on the problem to completely fix it. I was planning to send my phone back and possibly get a Galaxy S4 but I think I will just exchange it (I have a few dead pixels as well as the poor audio / hissing problem).

Just out of interest did you have hissing in the background when making calls? (ie when someone speaks on the other end) and has the update fixed / helped reduce this problem as well?

Thanks,
-Aziki

I don't think I had the hissing when someone speaks but I did have hissing in music playback and popping with external speakers while watching YouTube and can say, for me, it's been improved. Not as bad as it was before and I'm certain in the next few updates it will be gone

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was in contact with HTC as my device had that & popping issues.
    Yep, and that's a problem in itself. I know I can hear hissing, as can everyone else in this thread, but there are many who can't (including I assume the designers, the testers, the QC, telco staff, service department, reviewers etc). We all know that we can hear it and are not just "hearing things", I for one don't make 3-4 hour customer care calls and hang around telco stores half the day about an issue for the fun of it.

I think my decision to move to the S4 was due mostly to the fact that I paid for a phone that didn't work as it should out of the box for me. Waiting around for an update in a few months or for the 'next batch' of fixed Ones, or sending units to be 'repaired' and being returned while still paying monthly handset repayments for a phone I can't fully use simply isn't good enough for a premium device on a 2 year contract. Coupled with the fact my brothers One X also produces the same hiss (which he didn't think to tell me earlier... :rolleyes: ), it didn't look likely that a fix would ever be made.

I know that all sounds like a lot of bashing, but it really was a fantastic phone in almost everything else. Loved the sense UI coming from touchwiz on the S2; the aluminium body was just so nice to hold, the display was brilliant and I rather liked blinkfeed and the different app draw layout.

I hope everyone else in this thread can get to a solution, or have more patience than me and can wait for a fix, if any!

I wanted to add a few comments to this thread. I started a similar thread over on the Android Forum. I bought the One about two weeks ago. I bought it because of the glowing reports about the sound quality. How could my experience be so different than all the reviewers that stated how excellent the sound and call quality was. I mean seriously.... it is not like I am a noob at these things and neither are the reviewers so what gives. My problem was with phone calls. Both on speaker and with the phone to your ear. It is much easer to hear the problem when on speaker, though. The problem was this hissing whenever the person on the other end of the phone was talking. As soon as they stopped talking this hissing sound went away. It reminded me of the walkie talkies we used to talk on when we were kids. So I thought it was just a bad phone. I went back to the Sprint store and the store manager had a One as well. We made some calls with his phone and it had the hissing when the other person was talking, too. Strike two. So then I got the bright idea that maybe it was the carrier. Maybe the call quality would be better on another carrier. So I went to the local AT&T store who had a One in the store that you could call out on. I went and made some calls and sure enough.... the hissing was there when the other person was talking. Ok, so after three phones and two different carriers, I had to conclude that this was a phone problem. Then I found this thread. I read through the whole thing and only one other person related a similar issue as what I was seeing. So my question is this. Many have reported a hissing issue with headphones and music. What about the call quality when the other person is talking. Do you hear it too?

Sadly, on day 13 of the 14 day trial, I took the One back. I was not going to take the chance that HTC might acknowlege the problem and get a fix going. I plan to monitor these threads to see if some kind of firmware fix does eventually solve this. I loved the phone, but call quality is my number one requirement for the phone - because of work.

Thanks for your feedback. :good: