Multitouch issues / No real Multitouch

Search This thread

schaze

Jan 13, 2009
Hi all,

I am also thinking about buying a Desire - actually I nearly couldn't wait any more until I found the following:
http://androidandme.com/2010/03/news/is-multitouch-broken-on-the-nexus-one/

The touchscreen of the N1 seems to have a technical limitation in the way that it can only register 2 simultaneous touches at a time. But it cannot really track the touch points correctly, it merely reports 2 X and 2 Y coordinates. (Which could make up 4 Points actually of which only 2 would be the correct ones obviously)

If I understand the comments correctly the N1 has a Synaptics ClearPad 2000 touchscreen in it with the above limitations.
There is newer touchscreen called Synaptics ClearPad 3000 which actually supports 'real' multi-touch (up to 10 fingers)
http://www.synaptics.com/solutions/products/clearpad

As the N1 and Desire are practically the same thing just with different wrapping and software I got a bit worried. Can one of you guys with a Desire please check if the same issues occur for the Desire. Or maybe we are lucky and HTC used the newer screen the Desire (*hoping*)

This actually upsets me a lot as I really wanted a Desire :(

cheers,
Tommi

assente

Feb 23, 2005
assente.vega9.com
Last edited:

FloatingFatMan

Apr 20, 2005
I don't really see it as a big problem. You'd be hard pressed to use more than 3 fingers on the small screen anyway.

besuikerd

Feb 16, 2010
i dont get why the switching of axes is a problem? the only time you'll use multitouch on your desire would be to pinch zoom photos etc. but it doesnt matter if your fingers are in the top left corner and the bottem right and it thinks the other way around. it wil totaly not effect the geusture cuz the movement is stil the same.

(srry for my bad english ;) )

assente

Feb 23, 2005
assente.vega9.com
sure? look at this simple *broken* game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OscGUON6mCs

i dont get why the switching of axes is a problem? the only time you'll use multitouch on your desire would be to pinch zoom photos etc. but it doesnt matter if your fingers are in the top left corner and the bottem right and it thinks the other way around. it wil totaly not effect the geusture cuz the movement is stil the same.

(srry for my bad english ;) )

gogol

May 20, 2005
This topic has been discussed to death.

I own an HTC Desire, unlocked, HTC own retail version.

And I have never ever experienced any issue with multitouch nor when using my phone.
For fiddling around, flick flock, swipe swope, tap tap, pinch zoom, shake, gaming, whatnot.

Seriously, if this is a big issue, you will hear a lot of complaints and it will be all over the news.

In fact most if not all are happy with our phone :D

gogol

May 20, 2005
You should be the stupid one because you don't have a sense of humor .. LOL :D

I was laughing because the joke of other user ...

But now, I am laughing at you instead.

Because you are now worried that this (non) issue will broke other cool multitouch 3d game ... LOL again :D

Are u stupid or what? it was just to test the input.. if a simple game has broken multitouch imagine a <cool multitouch 3d game here>

Anyway I don't care much of this bug, because I'm not an addicted mobile gamer..

schaze

Jan 13, 2009
I did not want to discuss any fixes or reasons for the malfunctions, thats all clear.
I simply wanted to know if it is the same with the Desire as it is with the N1.

If it is a big or small issue is for everyone self to decide. Maybe I only want to play pong with my phone (I don't say I want that), in this case it would be a huge issue. If the only thing you need is a pinch zoom (which is a useless guesture btw) it is no issue at all.

Could you be so kind and test that pong game on the Desire and let us know if it works or not?

This topic has been discussed to death.

I own an HTC Desire, unlocked, HTC own retail version.

And I have never ever experienced any issue with multitouch nor when using my phone.
For fiddling around, flick flock, swipe swope, tap tap, pinch zoom, shake, gaming, whatnot.

Seriously, if this is a big issue, you will hear a lot of complaints and it will be all over the news.

In fact most if not all are happy with our phone :D

gogol

May 20, 2005
Because you have asked me, then my answer is NO. I won't test that.

You will have 2 possible answers anyway ...

1. It still have that problem

2. It does not have that problem

I think your concern is no. 1, correct? I guess so ...

Then it is up to you ... But as I said, this is not an issue for daily use, except you really want to play that Pong game :D

PS: From what I read, I almost certain that HTC Desire will have the same issue like N1 for this (same display technology anyway).

I did not want to discuss any fixes or reasons for the malfunctions, thats all clear.
I simply wanted to know if it is the same with the Desire as it is with the N1.

If it is a big or small issue is for everyone self to decide. Maybe I only want to play pong with my phone (I don't say I want that), in this case it would be a huge issue. If the only thing you need is a pinch zoom (which is a useless guesture btw) it is no issue at all.

Could you be so kind and test that pong game on the Desire and let us know if it works or not?

EroThraX

Mar 25, 2010
The algorithms for these touch screens aren't designed for complex multi touch, they are designed to recognise gestures with 2 fingers.

schaze

Jan 13, 2009
or get the motorola droid/milestone ;)

Hm... well to be honest I have not made very good experiences with motorola in the past. Event though the droid/milestone phones look quite nice I'd really like to stay with HTC. I do not really need a new phone at the moment, I only wanted to have the Desire :D. But only with real multitouch (which is for me, to track more than 2 fingers accurately)

It won't play pong so you won't get it? :confused:
Hehe, no that would be quite a stupid reason, wouldn't it. :D
I do however want a phone with true multitouch and not just a 'basic guesture supporting' 2 finger recognition. (oh and I probably don't need to add that iPhone is not an option)

boge

Jul 19, 2008
I think.. it's only a software problem..
maybe there is a bug in android 2.1?
Or, someone in motorola already found out about this bug and fixed it for droid.

Anyhow, imho, this can be quite easy to be fixed.