Anyone willing to Mod their Prime back for WiFi fix

Search This thread

phat_11

Jun 30, 2010
I think its a combination. I'd its faulty, they replace the module. If not, it gets reworked to make sure its at Max strength. then the antennae attenuation is tweaked(not sure if this is done thru hardware means or a matter or reprogramming software). then they make sure both wifi & BT are on their latest firmware. I don't know too much other details other than they've been having alot of success reworking the units with some new method and adjusting the antennae attenuation. they even said one of the reworked units had slightly better wifi/BT reception than an infinity pad tested side by side. the infinity pad just doesn't have a plastic strip thrown up there and that's it. they adjusted the antennaes attenuation in it also. but surprised me when they said the reworked prime had better reception. So there still "MIGHT" be hope for the prime reception.

one question though : do you think that even they manage to find a 100% efficient solution, will they let everyone aware that a fix is possible. And if not, for example here in Belgium, I can't even file it for a RMA since they refuse to acknowledge that there is a problem with the wifi. It is only possible if the unit can't connect or wifi isn't functional at all (which was the case with the first prime i got but the retailer was cool enough to replace with my current unit with no fuss).
Honestly the signal strength was never much of a problem for my current unit, but the dl speeds were really low when away from the router. other than that (and of course the gps that I don't use and that i don't care - and just for the record, the dongle didn't help either) the unit is great and i didn't experience all of the different issues that i've read in the forums (one other strong reason why i don't want the RMA messes things up).
On top of that, i really fear that, with the upcoming launch of the infinity 700, the prime users will be completely forgotten...

nonpaq

Jun 8, 2007
NY
Personally I decided to wait to see if WiFi improvements could be improved in the latest firmware updates. Cutting holes in the back, for me, would be a last resort solution once I've concluded that there is no hope for software tweaks. Plus I have to be willing to swallow the money I have invested in the TF201 in case something goes terribly terribly wrong. Plus with the TF700 so near, someone is bound to check if the plastic strip is the only change in its wifi/gps solution.

phat_11

Jun 30, 2010
Personally I decided to wait to see if WiFi improvements could be improved in the latest firmware updates. Cutting holes in the back, for me, would be a last resort solution once I've concluded that there is no hope for software tweaks. Plus I have to be willing to swallow the money I have invested in the TF201 in case something goes terribly terribly wrong. Plus with the TF700 so near, someone is bound to check if the plastic strip is the only change in its wifi/gps solution.

there are already tests of the TF700 where compared to the TF201 the wifi and gps performance is way better (in french but quite complete test http://www.lesnumeriques.com/tablet...pad-infinity-tf700-avec-dock-p13514/test.html). But in the meantime, like highlighted many times by demandarin, it's tough to know if this is only due to the plastic strip or some other tweaks... I am still hoping that there will be some software fix along the way, but like i said, it will piss me off if they abandon TF201 care one the 700 hits the shelves

redheadplantguy

May 10, 2011
Louisville KY
I never take mine out of is leather gold case, so a couple inch wire wouldn't bother need at all. I have a friend who is great at that, but I'm waiting on warranty to expire. Not gonna unlock till is up, too.

pileot

Oct 16, 2010
Ok, as someone who followed the other thread (the "opened my prime, wifi fix" or something like that) and as someone who has actually checked this stuff out let me share my experience.

It is practically impossible to put a rf window over where the wifi antenna is. Because of the way the tablet is manufactured, everything screwed to the back, and because of how it all fits together, you would weaken the structure of the tablet and cause lots more problems.

A wire lead CAN be attached to the pogo pins and then pulled through the two layers and it will increase reception provided the cable is approx 1 inch away from the tablet or more. Those of you wishing to cut a hole, put a wire, and hide it beneath a case im sorry but the interference from the tablet makes this a useless effort.

What a lot of people dont realize is the problem with the prime is two fold. First the metal back blocks the radio signals. Second interference from the processor and other bits creates too much static or noise to make most easy antenna fixes work.

There HAVE been people who drilled like 2inch holes and puttied it over with resin or whatever and made it look nice. it CAN be done, and there has been some increase in performance however i doubt most of you would be willing to take it that far.

briian_

Nov 1, 2009
Melbourne
The best method I've found is the method mentioned which uses a small piece of aluminium foil, placed somewhere on the top right of the tablet.
Putting wire tape over the foil doesn't make it look that bad. Not the greatest, but hey, amazing results :)

nonpaq

Jun 8, 2007
NY
There HAVE been people who drilled like 2inch holes and puttied it over with resin or whatever and made it look nice. it CAN be done, and there has been some increase in performance however i doubt most of you would be willing to take it that far.

Great post. This was exactly what I was looking for, speculation if making a hole to let the RF signal through would be worth the effort. I wish I could find info from someone who attempted this mod.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hold off on Modding the back of your prime. There may or may not be a new developement announcement on this issue. That's all I can say here.

@Erusman, e.mote or anyone else that knows about antennae attenuation and how it affects reception, please pm me asap.
    Good to hear Asus is looking at the USB wifi option.

Re: Antenna perf - It's not a secret, so I'll just post it here as a reply. Wifi signal tends to be vertically polarized (v-pol), as mismatched pol loses about 3dB, or 50% sig strength. For a USB wifi adapter, it means you want to get it vertical for best reception.

Two ways to do that: Get an adapter w/ removable ant, or a USB cradle (or both). A USB cradle/extension is $3 on eBay, and is also good in that you can move the adapter around for best reception. You can also use dual-band 2.4/5GHz adapters, like the DLink below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-WIFI-adapter-Usb-Extension-Cable-w-Stand-Base-/180679308028

28ip107.jpg

Wifi adapter w/ removable ant is good w/ directional ants for long-range pickups. Below is a homemade cantenna w/ a 30-deg(?) arc, and a commercial 12dBi ant w/ 60-deg coverage arc.

10frl6r.jpg

This sounds good. But I'm not necessarily talking about a USB wifi adapter. Something I found out. I have to get ready to go to work now so can jump into details. But possibly a solution within the prime itself. Nothing external needed. Of course a USB adapter would give best performance but I'm sure people are still hoping for a solution without need to mod or use an external adapter. Which may be possible based on what I've just recently learned from them. Ill pm people later or once I get off work on details of it. To see your thoughts on it.

Thanks for this info though.
    hold off on Modding the back of your prime. There may or may not be a new developement announcement on this issue. That's all I can say here.

@Erusman, e.mote or anyone else that knows about antennae attenuation and how it affects reception, please pm me asap.

ooooh thats a teasing post right there :D

Not really a tease, There may or may not be a new development.. I may or may not die tomorrow, I may or may not win the lotto tomorrow, The end of the world may or may not be next week. Of course there may or may not be a new development.. that's obvious because those are the only two possibilities there are. lol Now, what the chances are in favor of the "may be" a new development happening over "may not be" is a better question. My money is on "may not be".. lol