Can't unlock device without swiping widget

Search This thread

TLK3

Jan 10, 2013
This issue started long ago and has continued across several different ROMs. At the lock screen, often times I can't swipe the lock icon (nothing happens) until I swipe the current widget left or right. This happens with DashClock, ROM default, AOSP, etc. And it's not consistent. Sometimes I can unlock just fine. Any ideas? It's the strangest thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

megamanDJ

Jan 21, 2014
New Orleans
This issue started long ago and has continued across several different ROMs. At the lock screen, often times I can't swipe the lock icon (nothing happens) until I swipe the current widget left or right. This happens with DashClock, ROM default, AOSP, etc. And it's not consistent. Sometimes I can unlock just fine. Any ideas? It's the strangest thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app[/QU

Does the screen freeze for a while sometimes when waking the phone up? At least on my phone it does. Sometimes when turning the screen on I have to wait up to 10 seconds or so before it lets me do anything. Are you rooted and using any custom roms? EDIT. Just saw where u said it happens on other roms. I think the problem is originating from screen off/on settings somewhere.

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app[/QU

Does the screen freeze for a while sometimes when waking the phone up? At least on my phone it does. Sometimes when turning the screen on I have to wait up to 10 seconds or so before it lets me do anything. Are you rooted and using any custom roms? EDIT. Just saw where u said it happens on other roms. I think the problem is originating from screen off/on settings somewhere.

The reason I say that is because lately when the screen comes back on after moving the phone away from my face to hang up a call it will sometimes freeze up and i can't hang the phone up unless I press the power button to do so. This happened when i was on MF3 and still does on MK2 and I'm still on stock rom. We can't use custom kernels because of the locked bootloader and the stock kernel doesn't have unit.d support so any modifications that are usually set during the initial boot are possibly being applied when the screen turns off and on...idk. You can try using the "universal init.d" app to get a similar effect and see if it makes a difference. I'm just going out on a limb here and it may not have anything to do with your problem or mine, but it's a thought.

Last edited:

TLK3

Jan 10, 2013
I'm not on a phone with a locked bootloader. Running KT kernel. Doesn't matter how long I wait, I can't unlock until I swipe the screen left or right - THEN the lock becomes accessible. Its almost like there's an invisible window blocking that part of the screen. I had an issue with Lux where it prevented my from being able to approve Dropbox access. However, even with Lux disabled I'm still having occasional problems.

megamanDJ

Jan 21, 2014
New Orleans
I'm not on a phone with a locked bootloader. Running KT kernel. Doesn't matter how long I wait, I can't unlock until I swipe the screen left or right - THEN the lock becomes accessible. Its almost like there's an invisible window blocking that part of the screen. I had an issue with Lux where it prevented my from being able to approve Dropbox access. However, even with Lux disabled I'm still having occasional problems.

Are you on the AT&T i337 model? If so you must be one of the luck ones that didn't take the MF3 ota! It sounds like an issue I had before with Touchwiz compatibility with other roms. But if your phone doesn't have a locked bootloader that wouldn't be a problem for you. I haven't found anything yet that explains why my phone acts the way it does, but I'm still looking so if i come accross a solution for you before you fix it ill let you know.

TLK3

Jan 10, 2013
Yeah I've been running a custom ROM since the bootloader was unlocked. I noticed if I hit the power button and turn the screen off then back on, it works. Starting to think this is related to KT kernel. That's the only thing consistent between ROMs.