[Q] only thing on phone is Twrp - HELP

Search This thread

rnh

May 14, 2008
Boston
My Verizon LGG2 is now only with twrp 2.7 - no os and when plugged into the computer it cannot go into download mode to flash an os. It also doesn't recognize or install driver softwear as it always does. Am I completely shot or is abd a solution as twrp says something about abd sideload but I know nothing about how to do that although I have read of people doing it before,but not about what they used it for.
Of course any help is most greatly appreciated as the phone is useless to me in this state.

My Verizon LGG2 is now only with twrp 2.7 - no os and when plugged into the computer it cannot go into download mode to flash an os. It also doesn't recognize or install driver softwear as it always does. Am I completely shot or is abd a solution as twrp says something about abd sideload but I know nothing about how to do that although I have read of people doing it before,but not about what they used it for.
Of course any help is most greatly appreciated as the phone is useless to me in this state.

Be more specific. If you can download any ROM that fits your phone model, put it on a flash drive and use OTG cable to connect it to the phone and then flash the ROM.

Reactions: rnh

rnh

May 14, 2008
Boston
Thank you spin and coo. To be more specific, I wiped the internal sd by accident and the rom that was on it but I do have the stock os backed up on my computer, When I try to go into download mode - holding down the volume up button and plugging in the cable to use the flash tool to flash the 11b kdz file to the phone, the phone just vibrates and twrp pos up. Before that it would go into fastboot mode but that has disappeared. That is why I say the only thing that appears to be on the phone as far as softwear is twrp. Do you need more info?

jas0nnn

Jul 6, 2012
Thank you spin and coo. To be more specific, I wiped the internal sd by accident and the rom that was on it but I do have the stock os backed up on my computer, When I try to go into download mode - holding down the volume up button and plugging in the cable to use the flash tool to flash the 11b kdz file to the phone, the phone just vibrates and twrp pos up. Before that it would go into fastboot mode but that has disappeared. That is why I say the only thing that appears to be on the phone as far as softwear is twrp. Do you need more info?

OP, check out this post I wrote to someone else. I haven't done it myself, but I helped a buddy over the phone once with the adb sideload option. It was successful and the steps SHOULD be the same even though the reference links in my post are for an HTC phone.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52116786&postcount=559

Reactions: rnh

rnh

May 14, 2008
Boston
OP, check out this post I wrote to someone else. I haven't done it myself, but I helped a buddy over the phone once with the adb sideload option. It was successful and the steps SHOULD be the same even though the reference links in my post are for an HTC phone.

Thank you Jas0nnn. Looks promising. Also that otgcable is cheap and it looks as if I could load my backed up computer rom onto a flash drive and install it although I there is no driver softwear installed.

jas0nnn

Jul 6, 2012
Thank you Jas0nnn. Looks promising. Also that otgcable is cheap and it looks as if I could load my backed up computer rom onto a flash drive and install it although I there is no driver softwear installed.

An OTG cable would be nice. But keep in mind you don't need it. You can still use sideload to "push" your backed up ROM from your desktop to your phone and then flash it.

rnh

May 14, 2008
Boston
How do I do that? Adb looks complicated. And the instructions which I briefly looked at only speak of pushing rom files, not complete roms.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

rnh

May 14, 2008
Boston
Well I got home from work and installed and extracted the sdk zip after doing extensive reading and lo and behold after unzipping it and hitting download manager the command window pops up and promptly closes. That's it . What do I do now? TIA

jas0nnn

Jul 6, 2012
Well I got home from work and installed and extracted the sdk zip after doing extensive reading and lo and behold after unzipping it and hitting download manager the command window pops up and promptly closes. That's it . What do I do now? TIA

Hmm, I think we have a miscommunication here or the ADB Sideload post is not clear enough.

First, install the ADB drivers. This will allow you to open up a command window prompt (type "cmd" in your windows search in your start menu").

ADB: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

Then, you want to boot into TWRP. Plug in your phone to your computer (running Windows w/ ADB drivers installed). Go to advanced->adb sideload (don't know the exact sequence but it should be like this). This should allow you to do the commands from the "Instructions" section of this post:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2318497

Start at step 8. By using the "adb sideload" command, you will be able to transfer a .zip from your desktop to your phone. That way, you can use good ol' TWRP to flash that .zip and get yourself back into a ROM. To use the "adb sideload" command in cmd prompt, you need to first change directory or "cd" into the directory in which you have you .zip file on your desktop. That way when you invoke the command and give it a file name, it'll look in your current directory for it. Good luck and sorry for the late response -- I was on travel.

rnh

May 14, 2008
Boston
Hmm, I think we have a miscommunication here or the ADB Sideload post is not clear enough.

First, install the ADB drivers. This will allow you to open up a command window prompt (type "cmd" in your windows search in your start menu").

ADB: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

Then, you want to boot into TWRP. Plug in your phone to your computer (running Windows w/ ADB drivers installed). Go to advanced->adb sideload (don't know the exact sequence but it should be like this). This should allow you to do the commands from the "Instructions" section of this post:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2318497

Start at step 8. By using the "adb sideload" command, you will be able to transfer a .zip from your desktop to your phone. That way, you can use good ol' TWRP to flash that .zip and get yourself back into a ROM. To use the "adb sideload" command in cmd prompt, you need to first change directory or "cd" into the directory in which you have you .zip file on your desktop. That way when you invoke the command and give it a file name, it'll look in your current directory for it. Good luck and sorry for the late response -- I was on travel.

Hope it was a good trip. Do I still use the the normal ABD or the 1.3 ADB installer and fastboot to push the zip? I feel stupid to ask you to spoon feed me but I'm not a computer person. Do the drivers need to install on the phone because I don't think they will.

rnh

May 14, 2008
Boston
Well, I extracted the zip to c and placed the zip file into platform tools but the sdk manager wont open or update and the cmd won't recognize the path to access platform tools and access the zip to install it. Should be simple but I suppose it's not

jas0nnn

Jul 6, 2012
Hope it was a good trip. Do I still use the the normal ABD or the 1.3 ADB installer and fastboot to push the zip? I feel stupid to ask you to spoon feed me but I'm not a computer person. Do the drivers need to install on the phone because I don't think they will.

It's ok, I understand. The community doesn't quite standardize everything or have a central area to learn the environment and such. Abandon the whole platform-tools thing. Stick with the ADB installer as it simplifies things for you.

However here's a quick explanation of how the whole software development kit (SDK) thing works. What typically happens with the instructions of downloading the software development kit (sdk) is you are supposed to download your adb drivers and put them in a folder (like platform-tools). There is an application called adb.exe which you use -- this is called the "adb driver" which relies on all the other files in the same folder where adb.exe is.If you open up cmd and change directory or "cd" into the folder which holds adb.exe, you can type "adb" in the command line to execute the adb.exe program. This is why the instructions tell you to place the .zip file of interest in the same folder as adb.exe.

The 1.3 ADB installer will install the same files (adb.exe and associate files) and point the command prompt, cmd, to adb.exe, regardless of what directory you're currently in while using cmd. So whether I am currently in C:\ or C:\Users\jas0nn, I can type "adb" in command prompt, and the application will execute. With the the method above, you have to specifically change directory into the folder which holds adb.exe in order to invoke the adb application in the command prompt. To check if your phone is recognizable, you can type "adb devices" in cmd and see if a device number pops up. If so, you're connected. I did forget to mention that you need to make sure your LG G2 USB drivers are installed. You can find them here: http://wacomalt.com/dropbox/LGG2/StockRevert/LG VZW_United_WHQL_v2.11.1.exe

tl;dr: ditch the SDK installer route. Use the 1.3 ADB installer and push the zip into your phone using adb sideload. You need the drivers from here: http://wacomalt.com/dropbox/LGG2/StockRevert/LG VZW_United_WHQL_v2.11.1.exe in order to successfully communicate to your phone via adb.

rnh

May 14, 2008
Boston
It's ok, I understand. The community doesn't quite standardize everything or have a central area to learn the environment and such. Abandon the whole platform-tools thing. Stick with the ADB installer as it simplifies things for you.

However here's a quick explanation of how the whole software development kit (SDK) thing works. What typically happens with the instructions of downloading the software development kit (sdk) is you are supposed to download your adb drivers and put them in a folder (like platform-tools). There is an application called adb.exe which you use -- this is called the "adb driver" which relies on all the other files in the same folder where adb.exe is.If you open up cmd and change directory or "cd" into the folder which holds adb.exe, you can type "adb" in the command line to execute the adb.exe program. This is why the instructions tell you to place the .zip file of interest in the same folder as adb.exe.

The 1.3 ADB installer will install the same files (adb.exe and associate files) and point the command prompt, cmd, to adb.exe, regardless of what directory you're currently in while using cmd. So whether I am currently in C:\ or C:\Users\jas0nn, I can type "adb" in command prompt, and the application will execute. With the the method above, you have to specifically change directory into the folder which holds adb.exe in order to invoke the adb application in the command prompt. To check if your phone is recognizable, you can type "adb devices" in cmd and see if a device number pops up. If so, you're connected. I did forget to mention that you need to make sure your LG G2 USB drivers are installed. You can find them here: http://wacomalt.com/dropbox/LGG2/StockRevert/LG VZW_United_WHQL_v2.11.1.exe

tl;dr: ditch the SDK installer route. Use the 1.3 ADB installer and push the zip into your phone using adb sideload. You need the drivers from here: http://wacomalt.com/dropbox/LGG2/StockRevert/LG VZW_United_WHQL_v2.11.1.exe in order to successfully communicate to your phone via adb.
Well that was quick jas0nn. Thank you. The abd drivers nexus one installed from the abd google drivers but not the lg g2 drivers. Typing abd devices in cmd brings up not recognized. Guess I'm screwed unless you have any other suggestions.

jas0nnn

Jul 6, 2012
Well that was quick jas0nn. Thank you. The abd drivers nexus one installed from the abd google drivers but not the lg g2 drivers. Typing abd devices in cmd brings up not recognized. Guess I'm screwed unless you have any other suggestions.

Install the LG G2 USB drivers I showed you above.

Enter yes to every option in the ADB Installer v1.3 while installing.

If you get a message "'adb' is not recognized as an.." then you have not successfully installed the adb drivers via the adb installer v1.3.

You're not screwed quite yet. Typically there is always a solution in the engineering world ;].

Reactions: chaz411

rnh

May 14, 2008
Boston
Here is a pic of the commands I tried uploadfromtaptalk1398646338481.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

thestrangebrew

Jul 14, 2012
For whatever reason, my phone was in the same situation as yours where I could only reboot into twrp. I found a pretty easy solution below:

before trying anything else just type in these commands

What worked for me was from the TWRP terminal command was to type

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/fota

then hit enter

type

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/misc

then hit enter and reboot.

got help from the IRC xda-devs for the second step to complete the fix.

It worked for me and now my phone seems to be running normal. The whole thread is located here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ricked-lg-g2-stuck-twrp-no-download-mode.html

I think my phone somehow took the OTA while I had KK rooted installed. I plugged in my device to charge and got up to get a drink and when I came back my friend's cat was playing with the charger cable and my phone was in twrp. Went the whole weekend on vacation without my phone. It was rough. All seems well now.

Edit: I think I had to enter everything in twice. 1st time it worked but then rebooted back into twrp on it's own, the 2nd time it worked. Hope it helps.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You have to be more specific did you try to flash a ROM/what ROM did you try to flash

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

Be more specific. If you can download any ROM that fits your phone model, put it on a flash drive and use OTG cable to connect it to the phone and then flash the ROM.

Install the LG G2 USB drivers I showed you above.

Enter yes to every option in the ADB Installer v1.3 while installing.

If you get a message "'adb' is not recognized as an.." then you have not successfully installed the adb drivers via the adb installer v1.3.

You're not screwed quite yet. Typically there is always a solution in the engineering world ;].