I'm done!

Search This thread

livecouk

Oct 24, 2014
Hyderabad
Hello All,
M.O.J.O. is a new and innovative product but for the most part the issues aren’t related to the hardware. C.T.R.L.R support in Android apps is new and it’s taken some time for developers to update their manifests to get device support for M.O.J.O. Anybody that’s using M.O.J.O. and doing regular firmware updates will attest that, while it’s not perfect, the universe of apps and games available today is pretty cool and getting better all the time. Of course, there are many other micro-consoles that are now available and may be simpler to use, but we’re not aware of one that has the depth of assortment and quality of games and apps that M.O.J.O. has today and we’re committed to continuing to expand the selection and improve the experience.

The evolving nature of the Android app universe means that compatibility has been a moving target but we are fully committed to universal app compatibility and developers want their apps on as many supporting devices as possible. We are continuously working with developers to implement Google’s directive to support game controllers in games (http://developer.android.com/training/game-controllers/controller-input.html ). Please let us know when you come across an app that has a problem and we'll get in touch with the developer. Please feel free to contact the developer directly as well.

The "not compatible" message is a result of the hardware support filtering in the Google Play Store and can be impacted by options selected by the developer when posting the app manifest to the store. Typically, it’s not because M.O.J.O. can’t run the app. For example, we recently had an issue with one game that was rendered incompatible for a few days due to an update that had removed M.O.J.O. from their “white list” of supported devices by mistake. Fortunately, that was a quick and easy fix. The latest firmware update for M.O.J.O. gets access to a lot more content than previous unrooted releases, although we still find some apps with options selected in their manifest that prevent them from being accessible even though it would play fine on M.O.J.O. otherwise. Again, as with controller support, let us and the developer know and we’ll chase it up for you. Positively, there’s little doubt that the vast majority of popular apps and games are now available.

In addition, we have a lot of content for gamers not widely supported on other devices. OUYA is now available on M.O.J.O. giving access to hundreds of games configured specifically for compatibility with our C.T.R.L.R. More and more games are being added as OUYA works through their library of now over 900 games. We've also partnered with OnLive and their game-streaming service giving access to their PlayPack library and CloudLift-enabled titles from your Steam account with over 250 PC games from triple-A publishers playable on M.O.J.O. and with our C.T.R.L.R. These apps are not supported on many other devices today.

For resolution settings, we offer 720p, 1080p, and 4K support, as mandated by Google for GMS-certified TV devices.

DTS pass-through is unfortunately not supported but M.O.J.O. has full support for Dolby Digital pass-through. Some of the issues people are facing are app issues. For example, pass-through functionality is broken in the Android version of XBMC but other media players such as MX Player support it just fine.
I don't own a MOJO because it's price is too Damn high!

coolagen76

Oct 14, 2014
I am also very disappointed with the madcatz.

I am also very disappointed with the madcatz.
I was especially taken in order to play online and chaos that works very well on ouya so via the store ouya should work on mojo, but not ...
when other games there too may compatible to justify 250 euros.
they promised us android 4.4 but almost one year after the still out there, customer service does not even reponds short, mad catz is a box of M ... E.
here is my opinion.

Sir Jaxxy

Dec 8, 2014
Las Vegas
Another Disappointed Owner

Well I have not owned my MOJO for as long as many of you. I also didn't pay any where near as much as I have seen in these post. I was lucky to have got it on Cyber Monday from Newegg for only $99. The sad part is I was so impressed by the reviews there and on Amazon I actually returned my Fire TV to be able to have the money for the MOJO. The hardware specs simply blew the Fire TV away.

Well so far this is my experience. The first device was bricked. After powering it up it wouldn't load past the flash/logo screen. I talked to someone in Mad Catz live support who repeatedly insisted all I needed to do was factory reset it, even though I could not get past the loading screen. So I called Mad Catz. That rep also tried to walk me through factory resetting it. I finally reached a supervisor who agreed to RMA it. Now the new unit refuses to wake from sleep mode with the CTRLr and I need to unplug it to get it to work. After waiting 4 days to get a response to my support ticket I called again. The rep told me he would send me some troubleshooting suggestions. Instead he simply asks me if my controller is also going into sleep mode. I sent an immediate reply and 3 days later (a week after opening the ticket) still nothing. So I called again to talk to a supervisor (the same one who RMAed my first MOJO). After having no solution other then to say "It seems like your MOJO is just powering down" to which I asked why all of their FAQs say the MOJO is an always on device he tells me "Well I nor anyone else here has any real experience with the MOJO. So let me do some research and get back to you tomorrow". Really no one in your tech support has experience with a device that has been out for a year and you sell for $200-$250!

Main reasons I purchased the MOJO was 1. the hardware and 2. the fact it would be update to the latest version of Android as long as said hardware could support it. Now I am reading post saying that the MOJO will never have an official Kit-Kat update, WTF! Kit-Kat is why I got it do to this being for my 3 kids and and 4.4 being able to support profiles.

Looks like my kids got Srooged by Mad Catz this Christmas!

Unjustified Dev

Recognized Developer
Oct 21, 2012
Memphis , TN
Well I have not owned my MOJO for as long as many of you. I also didn't pay any where near as much as I have seen in these post. I was lucky to have got it on Cyber Monday from Newegg for only $99. The sad part is I was so impressed by the reviews there and on Amazon I actually returned my Fire TV to be able to have the money for the MOJO. The hardware specs simply blew the Fire TV away.

Well so far this is my experience. The first device was bricked. After powering it up it wouldn't load past the flash/logo screen. I talked to someone in Mad Catz live support who repeatedly insisted all I needed to do was factory reset it, even though I could not get past the loading screen. So I called Mad Catz. That rep also tried to walk me through factory resetting it. I finally reached a supervisor who agreed to RMA it. Now the new unit refuses to wake from sleep mode with the CTRLr and I need to unplug it to get it to work. After waiting 4 days to get a response to my support ticket I called again. The rep told me he would send me some troubleshooting suggestions. Instead he simply asks me if my controller is also going into sleep mode. I sent an immediate reply and 3 days later (a week after opening the ticket) still nothing. So I called again to talk to a supervisor (the same one who RMAed my first MOJO). After having no solution other then to say "It seems like your MOJO is just powering down" to which I asked why all of their FAQs say the MOJO is an always on device he tells me "Well I nor anyone else here has any real experience with the MOJO. So let me do some research and get back to you tomorrow". Really no one in your tech support has experience with a device that has been out for a year and you sell for $200-$250!

Main reasons I purchased the MOJO was 1. the hardware and 2. the fact it would be update to the latest version of Android as long as said hardware could support it. Now I am reading post saying that the MOJO will never have an official Kit-Kat update, WTF! Kit-Kat is why I got it do to this being for my 3 kids and and 4.4 being able to support profiles.

The reason I bought this device is because I knew all of this. It's the perfect device for development and so far I am impressed with how easy it was to get the newest version of android working I've only had mine for 3 days. There are very minor issues that I've already fixed such as recent mode from the controller it appeared to be missing in the latest update from Mad Catz now double pressing home of the controller brings recents mode. The only issue with 5.0 for me is Wifi is not fixed at least I won't know until I get home other than that it's perfectly stable as stock so I don't see much of a disappointment. Once you get TWRP working pm me and we can reflash stock and factory reset the device completely. I did add support for up to 8 multiple users.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have MOJO for several months now, when i initially bought it, i showed it to all my friends, and bragged about the potential of this product.

After all this months, its just sad, the lack of support or competence of the manufacters to actually stand by their product.
    Beeing a developer and an android enthusiast, it's just sad to see how poorly this hole process has been developed.

The console itself has several issues, the play store, for me is a huge deal breaker. You can't have a main selling point of the product (the full access to play store and tegra zone) when most of the products there, altought i can see them, are not compatible either with the console itself, or worse, the gamepad isn't recognized. Titles like Portal 2 and Half Life 2, made precisely for MOJO's hardware, and i cant play it.
    You can't also ask regular users to Root their device after every update. Either support the non rooted version, or it has to be rooted by default.
    I could be a regular user who just wants to play some vice city on my TV, don't know or care how to root. This isn't a developer edition!!

The OS itself has several issues, from the basic ones ( I CANT RESTART OR SHUTDOWN THE CONSOLE w/ unplugging it), no resolution settings. I have several audio lag issues when the console is left on for days. So even for media, i can't have XBMC running 100% there.I do have a Samsung Beam (very slow 1.0 dual core) with buggy OS and i have hours and hours of projecting XBMC media without ANY issues.

The support is next to nothing. I've installed the latest update from MadCatz, i was so happy with more google play support etc.. Turns out when i didn't want to create a OUYA account, now i have OUYA Framework crashing every 5 minutes. Just perfect.

The other main selling point was the gamepad, a solid, well construct Controller, with amazing gaming tecnology from madcatz.
    Well, beside the construction, there's nothing else good about the gamepad. I have a bunch of tablets and phones, i have a really hard time connecting and staying connected with my Android 4.4.2 devices. I'm constantly losing my Connection with the gamepad, and the REconnection is just painfull, i have to restart the gameopad a few times before i can get it to work again.
    Also most of the games with gamepad support doesn't recognize the CTRLR.. WTF, MadCatz team, even the simple part of getting in touch with game developers, didn't do their homework.
    Mad Catz could however, try to compensate somehow, and make a decent Gamepad Mapper. Nothing on this been release, has been months.

If this was a review of the product i would give it 2/10. And the 2 is for the choice of using Nvidia's tegra 4, and thats the only good thing about this.
    The lack of support of XDA's developers, given the potential of the device shown by nvidia's shield portable, is insane.

I no longer brag about this with my friends, i'm just ashamed and deceived to have spent 250 bucks on this. I'm buying Nvidia's shield tablet and try to forget Madcatz and my 250$

Thanks MadCatz.
    Wish I could have disagreed with at least one of the points you raised but I can't. 2 out of 10/that's quite generous mad cats well an truely ****ed this one up and don't appear to give a flying %uck. As you pointed out endless potential totally wasted. If anyone from madcatz ever reads these kinda posts get in touch with cyanogenmod or any of the renound teams who know what their doing and give them the contract to build the software rather than wherever cowboys currently produce ur shabby android builds cause their update supports abismal what ever u payed em its way to much :)

The reason I bought this device is because I knew all of this. It's the perfect device for development and so far I am impressed with how easy it was to get the newest version of android working I've only had mine for 3 days. There are very minor issues that I've already fixed such as recent mode from the controller it appeared to be missing in the latest update from Mad Catz now double pressing home of the controller brings recents mode. The only issue with 5.0 for me is Wifi is not fixed at least I won't know until I get home other than that it's perfectly stable as stock so I don't see much of a disappointment. Once you get TWRP working pm me and we can reflash stock and factory reset the device completely. I did add support for up to 8 multiple users.
    The reason they don't answer this kind of posts, and the reason you don't get any feedback on the work being done by Madcatz on MOJO, it's because you wont like those answers. The few units sold probably just made them stop working on this.

Again, as a developer, i think i'de get fired if i delivered such a final product or software. Just amateur.

Anyone thinking about buying this, just dont, anyone who already bought it just say Thank's madcatz and cry a tear for their hard work.

You beat me to it again OP, however I would like to hear from MC themselves & have just invited Alex Verrey from MadCatz to join this thread with the following:

Dear Mr. Verry,

I do hope I find you in good health & apologise for this unconventional communication regarding a MadCatz product.

I am a supporter of MadCatz products & purchased the M.O.J.O in late 2013, a product which you handled the P.R for to great effect.

However myself & others have become disillusioned with Madcatz by the serious omissions in support & features this product needs & as such would like to invite yourself or any other MadCatz employee to join the recent topic on the XDA Developers Forum:

http://xdaforums.com/mad-catz-mojo/general/im-t2852370

I think if you find the time to read through the aforementioned thread I need say little more & thank you in advance for any assistance you may offer to myself & the M.O.J.O community.
    I completely agree with the OP, I purchased two Madcatz Mojos when the only other box was an Ouya. I was drooling over the potential of the Tegra 4 processor. The biggest issue with this box is its software, even though it was promised we still don’t have 4.4 and for such powerful chip it doesn’t support DTS or Dolby Digital bypass. Like most of you I got sick of waiting and have purchased an Amazon Fire TV instead, I sold one of my madcatz mojo for $160 on craigslist and used that money in addition with the money from selling my nexus 7 to purchase an nvidia shield tablet. Now that’s a company that did it right. I am going to selling my last Madcatz Mojo by the end of this month once I finish some testing with my 4k TV.