Battery Issue Solved (so far at least)

Search This thread

lordgold

Jan 29, 2010
Definitely seeing a difference after doing this. I went from dropping 8-10% an hour to only about 4-5% an hour. Pretty nice.

colonel187

Jul 3, 2010
Nowhere
Yes sir. Good find. I was about to permanently switch back to froyo due to this battery drain issue.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Xeno62277

Apr 13, 2011
Greensboro
Tried to fumble my way through Tasker but couldnt figure it out.
So i just installedl this app called fast reboot and set it to do a fast reboot everytime my screen goes off.........will report back
at the very least it appears to be keeping me at 192 mb free consistently. We'll see how that plays out
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.greatbytes.fastrebootpro&feature=search_result

Tasker is just IF THEN statements. In my profile I use the state Power Any (so any power source). If it is on power i have it set to go to silent mode vibrate, and then the exit task is reboot the phone. If you don't want the vibrate you can have it do a wait task (where it just sits there and waits) and set it to 0. So basically it doesn't wait... it just keeps the profile active until yo unplug... then the exit task reboots the phone.

newskate9

Jul 15, 2011
So, I'm too cheap to pay for tasker, but did download reboot widget. Several days of using this "trick", reboot after cord comes out and my battery life has almost doubled.

I say that because, even though I get the orange color on the meter, I know its going to last longer, so I don't feel the need to run to the cord. This is pretty cool. I don't do OTA updates so I suppose a real fix won't be coming, but this is a small price to pay for more juice.

Excellent observation!

Xeno62277

Apr 13, 2011
Greensboro
So, I'm too cheap to pay for tasker, but did download reboot widget. Several days of using this "trick", reboot after cord comes out and my battery life has almost doubled.

I say that because, even though I get the orange color on the meter, I know its going to last longer, so I don't feel the need to run to the cord. This is pretty cool. I don't do OTA updates so I suppose a real fix won't be coming, but this is a small price to pay for more juice.

Excellent observation!

Hate to sound like an advertisement, but Tasker does do a lot more than reboot your phone. I have mine set to automatically turn on GPS when I hit my Navigation and turn it off when I exit. When I get close to home (using cell towers near my house) it will automatically turn on my wifi and turn it off when I leave my home area.
There are tons of things... you can even set it up to give you the gps location of your phone if you lose it by sending your phone a txt message. Basically replaces a ton of apps that do the same thing.

skwoodwiva

Apr 24, 2011
Tasker is just IF THEN statements. In my profile I use the state Power Any (so any power source). If it is on power i have it set to go to silent mode vibrate, and then the exit task is reboot the phone. If you don't want the vibrate you can have it do a wait task (where it just sits there and waits) and set it to 0. So basically it doesn't wait... it just keeps the profile active until yo unplug... then the exit task reboots the phone.

Could post or link a tasker profile?
I could not get it to work.

Xeno62277

Apr 13, 2011
Greensboro

I think Tasker needs Root access to reboot the phone.
Mine puts the phone to silent mode for any power, so not sure if you want my exact profile.
Here is how to do it if you want a restart after unplugging.
New Profile - name it if you want
Hit State under First Context
Hit Power under Select State Category
Hit Power under Select Power Action
Leave the Source as Any under Power
Hit the Check

Hit new Task under Task Selection - name it if you want
Hit the +
Hit Tasker under Select Action Category
Hit Wait under Select Tasker Action
Change ms to 1 (so will be 1 milisecond)
Hit the Check

Hit the Task you just created in the profile you just created
Under Task Options hit Add Exit Task
Hit New Task under Task Selection - name it if you want
Hit the + in Task Edit
Hit Misc under Select Action Category
Hit Reboot under Select Misc Action
Hit the Check
Hit the next Check

Now you should have a profile that will just wait 1 ms (essentially does nothing) when you plug in power, and then will reboot your phone when the state changes to no power (unplugged).

Since I just did it to do this walk through I'll get the profile up here :D

Edit: Added the profile. Just unzip it and drop it in sdcard/tasker/profiles
From there you should be able to import it pretty easy.

Attachments

• Reboot.prf.zip
    383 bytes · Views: 41
Last edited:

colonel187

Jul 3, 2010
Nowhere
I wanted to update after using the reboot trick for a month now. It stopped working. I can only get good battery life now if I clear cache and dalvik every time.

System process wont let phone idle below 3%

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

skwoodwiva

Apr 24, 2011
Xeno62277

Thank you for the profile.
I must add that this "auto task" works better than just rebooting. I think the system does not have the opportunity to mess with settings as it would with a manual reboot.
Manual reboot : maybe 10 -20 % better if any.
Tasker reboot profile : 2x life or better.

NCGamecock

Sep 3, 2011
Lenoir
Noob here. I assume you're leaving your phone on while on the charger, and then doing the restart when you take it off. I've been shutting my X2 off to charge at night and then restarting in the morning. Does this accomplish the same thing you're doing with the restart? Running stock 2.3.3 and only getting 12 - 13 hrs of moderate usage. Would like to increase that if possible.

stick1300

Jun 15, 2010
I was messing with my gf's Droid 3 and I saw that she's got 80% after 8 hours (moderate use)!! I checked her battery graph and noticed that her phone isn't awake nearly half as much as mine. Basically, when her screen is off, her phone is sleeping. That definitely isn't the case with my X2!

ffejin123

Jun 21, 2011
So before I upgraded to nitro's eclipse gb i used to get 36 hours of battery life easily. Now my battery barely lasts a day with moderate use. The reboot trick helps but it isnt the same. Are devs looking into this. I would like to have the same battery life without having to spend extra money on the tasker app

myriad46

Sep 30, 2008
So before I upgraded to nitro's eclipse gb i used to get 36 hours of battery life easily. Now my battery barely lasts a day with moderate use. The reboot trick helps but it isnt the same. Are devs looking into this. I would like to have the same battery life without having to spend extra money on the tasker app

Make sure not to blame Nitro, because with stock GB, you'd probably only get half a day.

Jelenik

Nov 9, 2011
Very good observation with that rebooting - thanks for that.

I was very curious why phone drains battery so fast and sometimes not. I have also noticed that when i turned off the phone (because sometimes i cheat my alarm app with math "captcha" by just turning off the phone when there is hard math problem :) ) battery drain wasnt so bad.

Basicaly it seems that my phone drains cca 1% battery after 1 hour when NOT using a phone - so i can get 4 days phone on without charging.

Now I have another reasont to buy tasker... But on the other hand i dont like that we need to solve those things - in my opinion that battery drain is a bug and i hope it will be resolved soon...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've been noticing (especially since a little after the GB update) my battery dying very quickly... sometimes not lasting more than 6 hours of moderate use.

I started reading threads here, there, and anything a google search would bring back. Apparently the battery drain is caused by the system's suspend process going rogue. I installed the full version of System Panel to monitor my usage, and sure enough suspend was taking up a lot more cpu cycles than anything else on my phone.

From reading further there isn't any specific phone setting/app that can fix this bug. Then I read something interesting... someone said that they only see the problem if they plug their phone in (usb or wall charge... doesn't matter), then unplug it without a restart.

Since I sit at a desk all day I frequently plug my phone in (nandroid backups, moving files to/from my sd card, etc.). I decided to do a test. I already have Tasker kill my ringer when my phone is plugged into any usb, so I added an exit task to reboot the phone when I disconnect usb.

I disconnected my phone from usb, and it restarted automatically... exactly what I wanted. Since then I haven't seen suspend do a damn thing. I have turned wifi on/off, killed data sync/turned back on, etc... all the things people have tried to fix the issue. Still nothing over the past couple of hours for suspend.

I will continue to monitor... so far it looks very promising.

I think Tasker needs Root access to reboot the phone.
    Mine puts the phone to silent mode for any power, so not sure if you want my exact profile.
    Here is how to do it if you want a restart after unplugging.
    New Profile - name it if you want
    Hit State under First Context
    Hit Power under Select State Category
    Hit Power under Select Power Action
    Leave the Source as Any under Power
    Hit the Check

Hit new Task under Task Selection - name it if you want
    Hit the +
    Hit Tasker under Select Action Category
    Hit Wait under Select Tasker Action
    Change ms to 1 (so will be 1 milisecond)
    Hit the Check

Hit the Task you just created in the profile you just created
    Under Task Options hit Add Exit Task
    Hit New Task under Task Selection - name it if you want
    Hit the + in Task Edit
    Hit Misc under Select Action Category
    Hit Reboot under Select Misc Action
    Hit the Check
    Hit the next Check

Now you should have a profile that will just wait 1 ms (essentially does nothing) when you plug in power, and then will reboot your phone when the state changes to no power (unplugged).

Since I just did it to do this walk through I'll get the profile up here :D

Edit: Added the profile. Just unzip it and drop it in sdcard/tasker/profiles
    From there you should be able to import it pretty easy.