A harsh reminder of why I abandoned Samsung years ago...

Search This thread

StNickZA

Dec 1, 2009
Auckland
What is this HK Rom please?.

What benefits does this have over other official 4.3?.

Plus would this void my warranty, and is there a quick quide to flashing to this rom please.

You can get it from sammobile. Won't void your warranty as far as I'm aware since its an official firmware.

It is generally considered to be the fastest rom for our tablets but doesn't provide any functionality you don't already have.

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
Considering what a great tablet it is , I use mine for meetings and showing clients samples on the run , I would have to say that if this is your reason for not enjoying how fully functional it is , you are missing out . I'm also from Durban but got a P600 from Amazon so on the US firmware which has multi user since 4.3 .

I think the devices inability to read 128gb micro sd cards when literally every other tablet and phone I have tested works fine with them is rather 'unfunctional'. That is the nice version of what I find it to be.

rirawin

Oct 13, 2011
You can get it from sammobile. Won't void your warranty as far as I'm aware since its an official firmware.

It is generally considered to be the fastest rom for our tablets but doesn't provide any functionality you don't already have.

Doesnt it have the multi user feature as well?

Is there a link and tutorial to flash please for a beginner?.

jankko

Oct 21, 2010
You do realize that when you buy a carrier branded tablet updates are at the mercy of said carrier, not Samsung? Samsung has zero control over when a carrier decides to push their updates. All they can do is send the update to the carrier, then it's out of their hands. Why are you berating Samsung? Go scream at the carrier instead if not having KitKat yet is such an insult to you.

My SM-P605 is not carrier branded (I live in Europe) and Samsung still has not released Kitkat for it. Can I berate Samsung?

edthesped

Sep 13, 2010
I believe it's all cyclic. I loved my Motorola Droid and swore off Motorola after my Droid X. I loved my GS3 but am leery of Samsung after the 10.1 2014 so I replaced my broken GS3 with a Moto X, it fit my budget. Now I love Moto again.

My theory is that the big phone manufactures become complacent when their phones become popular then become responsive to customer desires when sales fall off in order to regain market share.

Reactions: Geordie Affy

Eric214

Oct 24, 2012
Philly
Once again, I *am* enjoying the tablet. Just because I feel let down by one aspect (software updates) doesn't mean that I'm regretting the purchase or that I'm not still happy for the most part. I've said elsewhere in this thread that I'm enjoying it and that I think its a fantastic device. It's just a shame that it is held back by updates.

How is the device "held back"? lol that's a ridiculous statement as the tablet on 4.3 is better since the KK updates have been wreaking havoc on most devices. You would likely be screaming about how the KK update has "held back" this device and is now worse then before the update. Remember, the device we're talking about here was released with 4.3 and in my experience, most of the time the original release FW is usually the most superior to that specific device. I mean even Nexus phones have had more then their fair share of bugs on updates, especially the Nexus 5.

StNickZA

Dec 1, 2009
Auckland
in my experience, most of the time the original release FW is usually the most superior to that specific device.

You obviously haven't owned many devices. And obviously haven't tried the Hong Kong ROM for *this* device which is clearly superior to the original release from October.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Eric214

Oct 24, 2012
Philly
You obviously haven't owned many devices. And obviously haven't tried the Hong Kong ROM for *this* device which is clearly superior to the original release from October.

I've had 6 phones, 3 tablets. Haven't need to ROM this tablet at all. I get 10-12 hours of screen time with about 50% brightness streaming Netflix, HBO GO, or my Slingbox with is 1080p HD. I put on Nova Prime and I have no wake lock issues and no lag at all with Nova Prime. All the apps work with out issue or force closes.

Now obviously some phones need updates from the initial FW out of the box but like i said, my experiences are most original FW are better. Better meaning a few different things. Some like the VZW of the S4, the very 1st OTA broke root and there have never been custom recovery since (Safestrap is a work around with no custom kernels possible) So don't be so close minded and just assume that taking an OTA is always better.

StNickZA

Dec 1, 2009
Auckland
I've had 6 phones, 3 tablets. Haven't need to ROM this tablet at all. I get 10-12 hours of screen time with about 50% brightness streaming Netflix, HBO GO, or my Slingbox with is 1080p HD. I put on Nova Prime and I have no wake lock issues and no lag at all with Nova Prime. All the apps work with out issue or force closes.

Now obviously some phones need updates from the initial FW out of the box but like i said, my experiences are most original FW are better. Better meaning a few different things. Some like the VZW of the S4, the very 1st OTA broke root and there have never been custom recovery since (Safestrap is a work around with no custom kernels possible) So don't be so close minded and just assume that taking an OTA is always better.

Lol, I'm not assuming anything. You're the one making assumptions about a ROM that doesn't even exist yet. We'll see if you still stick with the "superior" 4.3 firmware when Kitkat eventually lands.

Eric214

Oct 24, 2012
Philly
Lol, I'm not assuming anything. You're the one making assumptions about a ROM that doesn't even exist yet. We'll see if you still stick with the "superior" 4.3 firmware when Kitkat eventually lands.

My last 2 devices, the s4 and Note 3, I never took an update. The S4, it was best to stay on the MDK (original FW) and same with my current Note 3. To many issues with the 4.4.2 update for it. So again i wait first and see if it's worth updating and usually it's not.

I'm not saying the the note 10.1 2014 won't havea good update, but it's more likely to be worse or buggier then the 4.3 imo

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I'm not saying the the note 10.1 2014 won't havea good update, but it's more likely to be worse or buggier then the 4.3 imo

You're speaking future tense; the update's out in one of Samsung's largest markets (North America). There are a ton of improvements in performance and features. Once on 4.4 you can get Hancom Office, e-Meeting, and SideSync officially. They don't run on 4.3. This thread summarizes the list of improvements people have commented on.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2720562

The downside is the loss of lock screen widgets and living with the changes Google's made to external SD card access in 4.4. I survived the SD card changes when I updated my N3 to 4.4 and Samsung's My Files helps make the changes bearable. The Pro's don't have lock screen widgets either and the reason they were eliminated may be to help with the screen-on lag people were complaining about. I use/d them but compared to what I'll be gaining wouldn't pass on 4.4 because of them.

graewulf1

Just a point of interest... never install an ota update on a rooted device. Wait for someone to release a rooted version of it. Doing an ota update almost always "fixes" root on the devices. The carriers don't want you to have root access.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Eric214

Oct 24, 2012
Philly
Just a point of interest... never install an ota update on a rooted device. Wait for someone to release a rooted version of it. Doing an ota update almost always "fixes" root on the devices. The carriers don't want you to have root access.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Yes i know, i learned that a LONG time ago and the whole point i was making. The sad thing... you can tell people all you want till you're blue in the face and they will still take an OTA update and then cry afterwards about losing root or the ability of installing custom recoveries

swdude987

Dec 7, 2010
Not Samsung's Fault - Verizon sucks at slow updates!!

Problem is that Verizon delays the updates not Samsung. Yes the Nexus gets updates sooner than WIFI only models, but Verizon then waits typically another 4-6 months to TEST it. Really!! That is the real problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just flash the Hongkong ROM for a decent 4.3 update.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I did this last night and it definitely feels snappier in general use. Coupled with the fact that I can now enable multi user, I am definitely happier than I was yesterday.

However, it just highlights the point that I made originally. Its not just about the KitKat update; it is about ALL of Samsung's updates. Why is it that here in my country, the LATEST ROM available officially, is five months older than the one being used in Hong Kong. Unless you're prepared to manually update via ODIN (and most aren't), then you're stuck with an inferior product until Samsung decide to get around to bringing you up to speed. This is just unacceptable. Samsung make some great devices, the 10.1-14 being one of them. But you're only fooling yourself if you think that they can't do better when it comes to software updates.

Essentially, Person A can buy a product in Europe, and Person B can buy the SAME product in Hong Kong and get a superior experience because of Samsung's archaic update policies. The software is there, it works - as proven by countless users brave enough to circumvent Kies! But Samsung won't give it to us. To those people that are posting here and saying that this is OKAY, frankly, you deserve the level of support you're getting.
    I don't know why people are getting on the ops back about it. He's absolutely right. Yeah the device still works but it is annoying that you see Ipads and Nexus devices getting timely updates. The most annoying thing about it all is that I can say as a long time Samsung customer that yes its because of the number of devices but mostly it's because they don't care as much about their customers once they've paid for a device.

You kind of hit the nail on the head. People for whom updates are a critical feature shouldn't buy Samsung products. The sheer scale of the number of devices they offer, types of devices (Wi-Fi, 3G, 4G), and overly complex system of different s/w by region makes them notoriously slow at updates. Knowing that I buy their products anyway because I like the quantity and quality of their unique features; most of which aren't available elsewhere. Am I happy about it? No. Did I expect it? Yes. Do I think *****ing about it is going to help? No. Want fast updates? Buy a Nexus or GPe device. It's that simple.
    You bought a device you had no prior intention of doing so on a whim at a reduced price and are upset because the latest updates are not currently available to you...? 1st world problems are terrible ain't they...

You bought it as it is, it works 100% as intended. You have no legal right and should have no expectations to any sort of updates - stop whinging and worry about real issues in the world instead.
    The thing i find funny is the people that scream for updates are the people who take them the instant they are available then find that they have bugs and then scream how can i go back to whatever the prior version of the software was. The one they are told you can not downgrade they start screaming and demanding people on XDA , namely the devs, to fix the issues immediately. Seasoned Android users know to never take a OTA until it's been deemed safe and no major bugs unless you're willing to take the chance and are helping the community.

So to scream about updates not releasing in a timely manner is moronic knowing that only nexus devices or Google play editions are the only ones that get the updates the quickest.

The original poster probably doesn't doesn't even realize the issues that kk has brought to a lot of devices. And you need root to fix them. And if he had root he can just put a ported 4.4 Rom on his device.
    I'm pretty surprised by the direction this thread took...

It seemed to be a pretty reasonable post with concerns and questions about the ROM, posted here in a ROM community, and the response has pretty much been "Shut up and stop whinging"