[FIX] Updated: GPS Tracking Issues (Optional FIX) For Stock Phones

Search This thread

TGA_Gunnman

Feb 5, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Team,

boodies posted this in the General section and thought it should be here as well, due to its nature.

Props goes out to boodies, Great Find!!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=728611

I tried this and all GPS and compass issues are now fixed. GPS locks on accurately in just a few seconds.

***This fix may not work if you live outside of USA.***

##You can play with the settings if you want to. If you FUBAR your GPS a simple factory reset will return your setting to default. You can do this without going into recovery buy going to Settings / Privacy / Factory data reset.##

Edit:
Tested Procedure:

1 - Disable "Use Wireless Networks" - Settings / Location & Security

2 - Dial *#*#1472365#*#*

3 - Under "Application settings" Change "Operation Mode" to MS Based

4 - Under "SUPL/CP Settings" Change the SERVER & PORT to supl.google.com and port 7276 [ Do not use www. in front of supl]

5 - REBOOT

6 - Turn back on the "User Wireless Networks"

Original settings:

Operation Mode: Standalone
Server: www.spirent-lcs.com
Port: 7275

Optional New Fix:

1 - Dial *#*#1472365#*#*

2 - Go outside to get an unimpeded GPS fix.

3 - Choose Delete GPS Data button.

4 - Choose Get Position Test button. Let it run for 3 min or until you have 10 to 12 Sat locks and back out.

Thanks goes to Onlyloki for this method.

You may want to do this in conjunction with the first procedure and then do the optional if the first procedure did not work for you. I did both and my GPS is locking even faster. Let me know what you think...

Just some more info I dug up:

Quote from http://www.vzwdevelopers.com/aims/public/menu/lbs/LBSFAQ.jsp

"In MS-Based mode, the network provides the satellite information to the device, based on a rough estimate of where the device is located, and the device acquires the GPS signals from the satellites and calculates its location. After the initial fix, the device operates like an autonomous GPS receiver, until the satellite information must be refreshed, at which time the device goes back to the network to update the satellite information. MS-Based mode is appropriate for applications that require the device location to be updated rapidly, such as a navigation application. Can the GPS work in autonomous mode? No, the GPS receiver requires the assistance of the network elements to acquire its initial location fix."

With the rapid updating we could see an increased drain on the battery. I have not confirmed that yet. If anyone can let us know.

Edit #2:

I was informed by a sales rep at T-Mobile that Samsung is aware of the issue and is going to fix the GPS and the compass issue in their first update.

Rooted USERS:

Go Here and flash this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=748821

Last edited:

skater4690

May 18, 2010
houston

TGA_Gunnman

Feb 5, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Mine were working ok, but compass was all over the place. After fix it was alot faster locking in and compass was fine. Noticed it using skymap, layer, etc...

temperbad

Jan 13, 2009
portland
fix worked great for me. All I need it to be semi close and this makes the lock within seconds. Before I couldnt even get a lock.. Awesome XDA

Team,

boodies posted this in the General section and thought it should be here as well due to its nature.

Props goes out to boodies, Great Find!!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=728611

I tried this and all GPS and compass issues are now fixed. GPS locks on accurately in just a few seconds.

My gps takes awhile to lock. But before i try this.

What is the orig settings? Can someone post?

I dont want to do this and then if it doesnt work i cant revert :)

Bigshow281

Nov 5, 2009
Houston, TX
This is a shining example of what makes it great to be an Android phone owner, the outstanding community support that XDA has is second to none in my opinion, even to carrier/vendor support. My Vibrant should be arriving Tuesday or Wednesday (can't wait). I used to have Sapphire, then switched to the HD2 because I'm bound to T-Mobile and Windows Mobile was more horrible than I could have imagined. I can't wait to see CM6 with Froyo on the Vibrant...makes my mouth water thinking about it. Thanks again for the great work.

diaa08

Jan 2, 2009
Los Angeles
What are your settings set to?

Also check out a compass app and skymap are they throwing you all over?

I'm curious.

compass and skymap ARE acting strange... guess the nav was working because i happened to get a quick gps fix? i'll choose to believe that over the possibility i could have jinxed myself by saying i had no problems... :p

i have noticed that the battery drain is much higher (like abnormaly so) if you have the gps toggled on through tw and have something like beautiful widgets on...

diaa08

Jan 2, 2009
Los Angeles
would something like the QuickGPS app on HD2 solve some of these problems? anyone familiar with that app and what it does?

kusotare

Apr 12, 2009
Colorado
I noticed I'm getting a much better GPS lock in maps. The problem with skymap appears to be unrelated to GPS and appears to be something with the compass. On my G1, it tracked as I turned it with fairly precise accuracy. With the vibrant, it has a 5-6 second delay on tracking movement on the horizontal (up and down tracking in near perfect). However, the compass app seems to function just fine in that regard, oddly enough.

unxconformed

Apr 19, 2007
San Jose
I noticed I'm getting a much better GPS lock in maps. The problem with skymap appears to be unrelated to GPS and appears to be something with the compass. On my G1, it tracked as I turned it with fairly precise accuracy. With the vibrant, it has a 5-6 second delay on tracking movement on the horizontal (up and down tracking in near perfect). However, the compass app seems to function just fine in that regard, oddly enough.

Same here. The compass was not affected by this fix, it is still acting like garbage.

The GPS does lock faster now, but before this it was working reasonably.

BradBot

May 7, 2009
Houston
Thought I'd chime in here.

With the default settings my GPS and compass seemed to be working fine, but I thought I'd check these new settings out. I have since reverted back to the original settings b/c the change actually made my GPS less accurate and my compass seemed to get a little funky.

GPS: Original settings is showing my exact location; down to the actual room in the house. New settings I wasn't even on the correct street!:p

Compass: Original settings in Skymap the compass is steady. Once it finds it self it sits there. New settings the map was rotating without me moving.

Figured this would be helpful to those out there who's GPS/compass seems to be working fine with the stock settings!

TGA_Gunnman

Feb 5, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Thought I'd chime in here.

With the default settings my GPS and compass seemed to be working fine, but I thought I'd check these new settings out. I have since reverted back to the original settings b/c the change actually made my GPS less accurate and my compass seemed to get a little funky.

GPS: Original settings is showing my exact location; down to the actual room in the house. New settings I wasn't even on the correct street!:p

Compass: Original settings in Skymap the compass is steady. Once it finds it self it sits there. New settings the map was rotating without me moving.

Figured this would be helpful to those out there who's GPS/compass seems to be working fine with the stock settings!

Just out of curiosity what are your original settings set to?