Not to alarm people, but this OTA update bricked a stock Captivate

Search This thread

Citznfish

Jul 18, 2010
Take this for what it is. One person with a stock captivate phone who had problems.

He claims he didn't stop the update half way through the process or anything like that.

the latest software update from at&t bricked my ****ing phone. ***** i talked to through online at&t chat said it's the manufacturer's fault when it's really not. who do i contact to replace the phone?

He was asked if this update included 2.2...
i have no idea. i think it was just a gps update. the thing is i'm running a completely un-modded phone. this is ****ing bull**** if i have to pay money for something that samsung/at&t ****ed up. it's completely bricked. won't boot, won't power on, won't even charge. tried reseating the battery and sim card a dozen times and i tried doing the volume buttons + power button boot thing and it's just ****ed.

comment from someone else
AppSmasher says: September 22, 2010 at 11:23 AM
Updated my Captivate and it’s working great. I have heard of those that cancel in the middle of the update could experience problems – some even claim it bricked their phone.

so bro, tell us the truth.. Did you turn off ur phone or cancel the update mid way?

he was asked to check here for help...
i saw the thread. i dont think there's anything i can do. it won't boot into recovery or download mode. it's like completely dead.

i never said it was forced. i read a post about froyo maybe being available so i clicked the 'software updates' thing and it said an update was available. it downloaded and said it was going to reboot the phone to presumably install it. the phone rebooted to a white screen with a blue loading bar and said 'update failed.' now it no longer powers on or even recognizes being charged.

dabuddha

Sep 22, 2010
Atlanta
I can attest to the update bricking. I did cancel the download half way to turn on wifi and figured it would be simply restarting the download, but instead it started installing what was there and it stated it was going to restart so I let it and then nothing happened...tried taking the battery out and tried getting into download mode to no avail. Anyone got any ideas?

majinzen

Jul 25, 2010
the poor guy did call AT&T. It's at the top of the post. They said they weren't responsible.

He spoke to the wrong person then and should call back. Mine is broken also, and it's past the 30 days, so all I could get was a refurbished one. Better than nothing. I'm never doing an OTA update again. Flashed my phone upwards of 20 times and if something messed up I could alway reset to download and re-flash.

BigJayDogg3

Feb 6, 2009
He spoke to the wrong person then and should call back. Mine is broken also, and it's past the 30 days, so all I could get was a refurbished one. Better than nothing. I'm never doing an OTA update again. Flashed my phone upwards of 20 times and if something messed up I could alway reset to download and re-flash.

This.

I went to the warranty and repair center in my area (dunno if everyone has one?) and they have ordered a new (refurb?) captivate for me. As long as it works and isn't too beat up, I don't really care. I'm just sick of this E63. lol

NFauteux

Nov 8, 2008
is the internal 16gb an internal memory card? Maybe if it is, you can pull that out and rebuild the whole OS of the phone through another source such as a card reader.

Raazer

Sep 23, 2010
I tried the update on my phone. It's rooted and set up for sideload as well as a few other hacks.

However, I only bought my phone about 3 weeks ago. The update has failed 4 times for me, then i checked the existing firmware on the phone. It's already at I897UCJH7.

Take it for what it's worth.

A-Rob

Jul 4, 2010
Mine is totally stock and it was also bricked last night. I tried everything to fix it but it is completely dead. I tried the update last night and didn't interrupt it at all. The progress bar made it to 50%, stalled for a minute and then gave a message that the update failed. It tried to restart and it went completely dead. I've tried using Odin, but nothing happens. sin

I also called AT&T and was initially less than pleased after I was told to call Samsung for a possible fix. I told CS that I didn't buy the phone from Samsung and that I wasn't calling them, since it was an AT&T problem. I finally got someone to authorize a return and my new one should be here in a couple of days, but the fact that this thing was totally bricked so easily because of an official update is ridiculous.

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
The only updates out there is JH7/2.1. Bricking phones while OTA update to JH7 is nothing new. Just check all the JH7 threads. Stay away from OTA updates for now.

You won't get 2.2 OTA update until weeks after it is talked about all over the place.

Last edited:

nephets0

Jun 19, 2008
Tulsa
Mine is totally stock and it was also bricked last night. I tried everything to fix it but it is completely dead. I tried the update last night and didn't interrupt it at all. The progress bar made it to 50%, stalled for a minute and then gave a message that the update failed. It tried to restart and it went completely dead. I've tried using Odin, but nothing happens. sin

I also called AT&T and was initially less than pleased after I was told to call Samsung for a possible fix. I told CS that I didn't buy the phone from Samsung and that I wasn't calling them, since it was an AT&T problem. I finally got someone to authorize a return and my new one should be here in a couple of days, but the fact that this thing was totally bricked so easily because of an official update is ridiculous.

way to revive a several month old thread...