Need Help

Search This thread

Rodeojones

Aug 6, 2010
Bloomer, WI
Hello,

This is an odd request, but I'm in need of some help with this HTC Rezound. A bit of background first. It's not mine. I'm a G2 user (rooted and I know my way around Android hacking). This phone belongs to a friend and despite having it rooted he knows nothing about how he got there or how to fix a problem. Currently it's stuck in a bootloop. He mailed the phone to me (we live 750 miles apart) and he's hoping I might be able to assist. I can get into recovery (I'm assuming it's a custom recovery - looks like ClockworkMod) and my hope was to flash a new ROM but he stupidly neglected to send the phone to me with an SD Card. I'm wondering if there's a way to get a ROM/gapps onto the phone (internal storage) and flash from there. I see there's an option for USB-MS toggle and I've tried playing around in the internal_sd area, and I can get a G: drive to appear when choosing this and connected via USB to my computer, but when I put the ROM/gapps on there I cannot seem to access it for flashing purposes.

Sorry for the long-winded description. But is this a simple solution? Do I just need to get a hold of an SD card and put the files needed on there for flashing? Or is there a way to flash the ROM directly from internal storage?

Thanks in advance for any help you might provide.

pball52998

Jan 1, 2014
Could you post a "fastboot getvar all" ? Without the commas.

Also one thing I would do. Flash twrp 2.6.3.0 Then mount the phone. Push the ROM using a adb push. But first could you post a fastboot getvar all ?

Sent from my Rezound running Sense 5. S-OFF

Rodeojones

Aug 6, 2010
Bloomer, WI
Could you post a "fastboot getvar all" ? Without the commas.

Also one thing I would do. Flash twrp 2.6.3.0 Then mount the phone. Push the ROM using a adb push. But first could you post a fastboot getvar all ?

Sorry for my noobness, but I have no idea how to do that with this phone. I know nothing about HTC devices - never owned one before.

pball52998

Jan 1, 2014
No problem at all man, we all start somewhere for every phone company.

Okay, pull the battery out. Put it back in, volume down, power button. It should show up a white screen. With I think like 5 options, I know the first two are: fastboot and recovery. When highlighted over fastboot, press power. Then will bring you to fastboot. It'll say in red letters "FASTBOOT USB" at the top. Plug it into the computer open a cmd prompt where you fastboot/adb also known as platform-tools is. Type fastboot getvar all

Rodeojones

Aug 6, 2010
Bloomer, WI
No problem at all man, we all start somewhere for every phone company.

Okay, pull the battery out. Put it back in, volume down, power button. It should show up a white screen. With I think like 5 options, I know the first two are: fastboot and recovery. When highlighted over fastboot, press power. Then will bring you to fastboot. It'll say in red letters "FASTBOOT USB" at the top. Plug it into the computer open a cmd prompt where you fastboot/adb also known as platform-tools is. Type fastboot getvar all

Thanks for the reply. My time messing with the phone is done for the night, but I'll give that a try tomorrow.

pball52998

Jan 1, 2014
Okay sounds good

Sent from my crappy Jailbroken apple iPad.....
Freedoms just another word for nothing left to do... Nothin' ain't worth nothing but it's free.....

Uzephi

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 20, 2012
Phoenix
Google Pixel 3a
It should say something in the bootloader at the top like below:

***unlocked***
Pvt ship s-off (or s-on)
Hboot version # stuff here
Radio version # stuff here

Is it s-off or s-on?

If it's secure flag is still on, you would need to extract the boot.IMG from your ROM zip and do the following command after pushing and flashing the ROM in recovery. After you do flash the ROM, boot back into bootloader and into fastboot and type the following command in PC terminal

Fastboot flash boot boot.img

Sent from my Rezound

pball52998

Jan 1, 2014
It should say something in the bootloader at the top like below:

***unlocked***
Pvt ship s-off (or s-on)
Hboot version # stuff here
Radio version # stuff here

Is it s-off or s-on?

If it's secure flag is still on, you would need to extract the boot.IMG from your ROM zip and do the following command after pushing and flashing the ROM in recovery. After you do flash the ROM, boot back into bootloader and into fastboot and type the following command in PC terminal

Fastboot flash boot boot.img

Sent from my Rezound

Yep, pretty much, what I was trying to get him through first was actually pushing a ROM to the phone, also the fastboot getvar all gives almost all info. But true with that, that's probably the MOST important part of rooting and ROMing HTC lol. Although he never stated what rom he has. Trying to get him through some basics of HTC too. :)

Uzephi

Apr 20, 2012
Phoenix
Google Pixel 3a
Yeah, just wanted to put that out there in case he found it how to flash a ROM without us, he will see that post to fix his boot loop (if s-on)

Sent from my Rezound

Rodeojones

Aug 6, 2010
Bloomer, WI
Thanks again for the replies everyone. Very helpful. As stated before, this is an odd situation because I know nothing about rooting/ROMs for HTC and this isn't my phone.

Anyway, a bit of where I'm at and some better info regarding the phone's situation. The phone, upon attempting to boot, would just bootloop. I don't remember exactly which ROM was on there as I've since done a factory reset, but needless to say it wasn't working. Also, I happened to track down an SD card from an old phone of mine and I used the USB-MS feature in recovery to put a ROM on there for flashing. Wiped everything as I would any other phone, flashed the ROM (which stated was successful) and upon a reboot the phone just hangs on the white HTC screen. Did a bit of digging and decided to try returning to stock (he doesn't care if this phone is still rooted, just wants it working). Found this link http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...ull-ruu-build-4-03-605-2-for-the-htc-rezound/ and followed the instructions exactly. Update seemed to take just fine, but again a reboot just got me stuck on the white HTC screen.

I've yet to hook this up to try the fastboot getvar thing as the computer I'm using didn't have ADB installed and I didn't have the time to do so. In the meantime any additional suggestions?

I'm attaching a pic of the phone in hboot so you can see some info that might be helpful.

Attachments

• 0512141714.jpg
    0512141714.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 27

Uzephi

Apr 20, 2012
Phoenix
Google Pixel 3a
The reason the phone froze at the HTC screen is because that phone is s-on...

In HTC world, there is the bootloader lock (the purple thing at the top saying unlocked) and the secure flag.

With the bootloader unlocked, you can flash on virtually any partition (only signed firmware and other technical stuff that is irrelevant in your situation) but when booted in recovery, you cannot flash to the boot partition. (Can only do that when s-off)

To flash the boot partition when unlocked s-on (secure flag on) you need to extract the boot.IMG from the ROM and flash it while in fastboot mode from the hboot.

To RUU (return to complete stock) you also need to flash upwards or same version firmware officially signed by HTC when s-on. If you are s-off then you can downgrade. Also, bootloader needs to be locked again.

TL/DR: flash the boot image following my post above and that ROM you flashed will work.

Sent from my Rezound

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodeojones

Rodeojones

Aug 6, 2010
Bloomer, WI

In HTC world, there is the bootloader lock (the purple thing at the top saying unlocked) and the secure flag.

With the bootloader unlocked, you can flash on virtually any partition (only signed firmware and other technical stuff that is irrelevant in your situation) but when booted in recovery, you cannot flash to the boot partition. (Can only do that when s-off)

To flash the boot partition when unlocked s-on (secure flag on) you need to extract the boot.IMG from the ROM and flash it while in fastboot mode from the hboot.

To RUU (return to complete stock) you also need to flash upwards or same version firmware officially signed by HTC when s-on. If you are s-off then you can downgrade. Also, bootloader needs to be locked again.

TL/DR: flash the boot image following my post above and that ROM you flashed will work.

Sent from my Rezound

Thanks for this. I think I get what you're saying, but just for the sake of clarification, one more question regarding this process.

I extract the boot.IMG from my ROM of choice, flash the ROM/gapps as I would on any other device, then go back to fastboot and run the adb commands posted earlier? Correct?

Uzephi

Apr 20, 2012
Phoenix
Google Pixel 3a
Thanks for this. I think I get what you're saying, but just for the sake of clarification, one more question regarding this process.

I extract the boot.IMG from my ROM of choice, flash the ROM/gapps as I would on any other device, then go back to fastboot and run the adb commands posted earlier? Correct?

Exactly. Be sure to do exactly that command not

Fastboot boot boot.img

If you forget to say flash boot, it will just temporarily boot that kernel/boot image and not flash it to the device. Then upon reboot you will be back at step one.

Sent from my Rezound

Rodeojones

Aug 6, 2010
Bloomer, WI

Fastboot boot boot.img

If you forget to say flash boot, it will just temporarily boot that kernel/boot image and not flash it to the device. Then upon reboot you will be back at step one.

Sent from my Rezound

Again, thank you. Going to give this a go after my son's t-ball game. I feel like more of a noob than when I rooted my OG Droid years ago.

Rodeojones

Aug 6, 2010
Bloomer, WI
@Uzephi, @pball52998, thank you to for your assistance. I felt like a total noob working on a phone that wasn't mine. But I've got it up and running again. My friend Jake will be very happy (I've also told him that this is the last ROM he will ever put on here unless he learns how to do everything I just did - he didn't even know what ADB was when I told him).

pball52998

Jan 1, 2014
@Uzephi, @pball52998, thank you to for your assistance. I felt like a total noob working on a phone that wasn't mine. But I've got it up and running again. My friend Jake will be very happy (I've also told him that this is the last ROM he will ever put on here unless he learns how to do everything I just did - he didn't even know what ADB was when I told him).

Wait! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: He has old HBOOT and Radios, the newest radio is 1.28 he has 1.21 I think I saw.... I would suggest s-off then RUU and doing a RUU.... Or if anyone has em, the HBOOT and Radios you can flash in recovery.

Rodeojones

Aug 6, 2010
Bloomer, WI
Wait! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: He has old HBOOT and Radios, the newest radio is 1.28 he has 1.21 I think I saw.... I would suggest s-off then RUU and doing a RUU.... Or if anyone has em, the HBOOT and Radios you can flash in recovery.

Flashing them in recovery would be great, if there's a link to download the files. But just to be clear, despite this phone finally booking up there's more I need to do to make it 100% usable?

Uzephi

Apr 20, 2012
Phoenix
Google Pixel 3a
It is 100% usable, but you will experience less overheats and better battery life with the new firmware. I know the hboot ph98img zip is somewhere in this forum for the updated hboot and radio (for that zip you would just put in root of external SD card and in hboot it will automatically flash)

Sent from my Rezound

jlipps75

Dec 12, 2010

Sent from my Rezound

Hello, I have been preparing to RUU back to 4.03.605.2 and want to be sure of process. I read REV3NT3CH's post on downgrading, so I downloaded the latest 2 PH89IMGs via his instructions and here's where I stand:

S Off
Hboot 2.28
Radio 2.23.10.0123r/1.23.10.0124r

also running CleanRom 4.5

Can I just place PH89IMG on sdcard to RUU or am I missing a step? Thank you in advance

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sent from my Rezound

Fastboot boot boot.img

Sent from my Rezound
    It is 100% usable, but you will experience less overheats and better battery life with the new firmware. I know the hboot ph98img zip is somewhere in this forum for the updated hboot and radio (for that zip you would just put in root of external SD card and in hboot it will automatically flash)

Sent from my Rezound
    Just place it in the root of SD card and reboot to your boot loader

Sent from my Rezound
    Only lock if an ruu exe iirc, a zip you can be unlocked.

Sent from my Rezound