Official GoodBye Thread

Search This thread

JasonFH

Oct 14, 2006
Sorry Evo, Black Friday did you in

I flashed to Deck's .500. It brought new life to the phone and had me set for another year in my head, but I was in need of a new battery. Stopping by the sprint store on black Friday revealed a really nice looking Galaxy S3 just calling my name for a really cheap price.

So today I un-root my evo, get it back to stock and send it in for a buy-back.

You've been a good phone Evo, a good phone.

Reactions: jamieg71

Yunq Millz

Jun 16, 2012
I never really said goodbye. I loved my OG Evo to much to just toss it aside, even though it's been in my draw for months. A few days ago, I charged it up, flashed a new recovery, then flashed a fast/smooth rom. It's now a remote control for my EVOLTE. I also downloaded a free text/VoIP app, so it doubles as a back up phone.

koker93

Jun 25, 2012
Today I paid an extra $50 for an early upgrade and moved on. My poor evo had been dropped and spilled on too often and was dying. You guys were all awesome. Hopefully a few of you devs get the note and start making roms for my new phone :)

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

Yshai24

Jul 28, 2010
Coming Back

Am I the only one coming back to the Evo? My Evo broke so I went ahead and used my upgrade to get the GS3. Before getting it I read as much as o could about it. Reviews were great but I found a few complaining that the radios were still weak. I thought it insignificant and go the phone. Functionally the phone is awesome and I think on other carriers it probably lives up to the hype. On Sprint however, I was really disappointed. The radios were weak and almost unusable. Connection kept dropping and roaming. Ultimately it was too much to deal with so I sold the s3 and bought another Evo. I love this phone. I had the s3 and Evo side to side hooked up to the same wifi network and ran a test using TED talk. Clicked the app button simultaneously and the s3 was a little faster opening the app. But, when I clicked to play the same video, the Evo loaded it right away while the s3 got stuck connecting for 20 seconds. Guess I'm just saying hello again instead of goodbye. Going to take more to get me off the Evo!

ECrispy

Jun 25, 2010
Google Pixel 2 XL
Our phones are not worth much used :( Local stores like BestBuy, Walmart etc will only offer me $35, and I know my Evo is worth more than that!

So I'm going to keep it around as a secondary media player/remote. I upgraded to the GS3 a few months ago, but the Evo has a much louder speaker and better radios. I still miss it.

Am I the only one coming back to the Evo? My Evo broke so I went ahead and used my upgrade to get the GS3. Before getting it I read as much as o could about it. Reviews were great but I found a few complaining that the radios were still weak. I thought it insignificant and go the phone. Functionally the phone is awesome and I think on other carriers it probably lives up to the hype. On Sprint however, I was really disappointed. The radios were weak and almost unusable. Connection kept dropping and roaming. Ultimately it was too much to deal with so I sold the s3 and bought another Evo. I love this phone. I had the s3 and Evo side to side hooked up to the same wifi network and ran a test using TED talk. Clicked the app button simultaneously and the s3 was a little faster opening the app. But, when I clicked to play the same video, the Evo loaded it right away while the s3 got stuck connecting for 20 seconds. Guess I'm just saying hello again instead of goodbye. Going to take more to get me off the Evo!

Why didn't you just get the Evo LTE then?

Papa Smurf151

Feb 24, 2010
Atlanta

I've got the SG3 now and love it. 3g is fast, lte is blazing. Did u try the multiple different modems. Or just stick to stock? I would never go back to an evo or HTC for that matter anytime soon. Sorry evo I loved u when I had you but there is no comparison between the two at all.

XDA Moderator

I've got the SG3 now and love it. 3g is fast, lte is blazing. Did u try the multiple different modems. Or just stick to stock? I would never go back to an evo or HTC for that matter anytime soon. Sorry evo I loved u when I had you but there is no comparison between the two at all.

XDA Moderator

I might have to go that way. The price on the Note II isn't falling. Actually, on Wirefly, it's gone up, and my Evo is starting to act up, especially when plugged into the USB cord, so affordability might have me in an S GSIII instead :/

Papa Smurf151

Feb 24, 2010
Atlanta
I might have to go that way. The price on the Note II isn't falling. Actually, on Wirefly, it's gone up, and my Evo is starting to act up, especially when plugged into the USB cord, so affordability might have me in an S GSIII instead :/

Tbh speed wise the gnote II and SG3 side by side are really really close. Only major difference is bigger screen and bigger battery. For me anyways while I wanted the note 2 I went with SG3 and I do not regret it at all.

XDA Moderator

Tbh speed wise the gnote II and SG3 side by side are really really close. Only major difference is bigger screen and bigger battery. For me anyways while I wanted the note 2 I went with SG3 and I do not regret it at all.

XDA Moderator

I probably won't either. The Note II just has some of the most amazing features I could imagine in a phone. Well, baby steps. in 2 years, the Note III will probably be all the rage. lol

Dathion

May 16, 2012
Belton
well I hope to see the rest of you in the G Note II forums... I have had mine for just over a week now, I love this phone. Sprint is the first to roll out the multy window and its great! Love everything I can do with this phone even on stock.. cant wait to see the ROMS that will be coming in the future.

crzdmngz

Jun 24, 2011
Looks like a lot have gone S3. I'm loving the S3, but EVO 4G will always be my favorite since I learned so much from it with flashing ROMS and editing UI for personal aesthetics. I'll never forget my "first." ;) Haha.:p

Last edited:

MFOsaka

Feb 3, 2012
Buffalo, NY
Looks like I finally said goodbye as well~

I was more a lurker than posting in the development forums due to work and such, but I learned so much about root and the advantages of it with my EVO. But like anything else, eventually something else pops up and replaces it. I was trying to hold onto my EVO forever, but a soon to be faulty charger port changed that.

For the longest of time, I was going for the EVO LTE, but then heard about so many inconsistencies that I drew back from making it my choice. SG III was in my eyesight, then the Note II.

Then two things happened in sync of each other and it was too difficult to pass up: A JB update on the LTE that addressed many of the issues with the phone, then finding a deal in the LTE forums that got me a brand new phone for 99 cents. A dollar. No way in hell could I pass that up.

And now having the phone, I have to say, it's running pretty damn efficiently. And I went right back to root with it.

My OG is a keeper though, so I'll definitely still be keeping an eye on the place. :D

PlatinumPenguin

Mar 18, 2012
Houston
My OG EVO is still going strong. As well as this 3Devo. I was thinking about getting something new but I might as well use these for a few more years when they finally explode or turn and try to kill me. By that time there will be devices that can control my gf. So I will be here for a while longer.

Sent from my PG86100 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

bennyboy78

Nov 9, 2011
Well guys... It's been a good run, but I too will be going to the EVO LTE. I'll probably be gone by Christmas, but ill still pop my head in and provide at least one last update to my Rom.

Sent from my PC36100 using xda app-developers app

rp71284

Jun 8, 2010
Definitely miss this phone. Had it from day one in June 2010, and upgraded in the Spring to the One X. Would have loved to stay with Sprint, but just couldn't trust their LTE rollout schedule.

This phone was so bad-ass for its time though. And that kickstand...

:D

caspar347

Dec 31, 2012
Well, I too am stuck with this amazing device until August 2013, but I love this thing too much to get rid of it anyway. I've been through a lot with this phone, and will likely keep it for tinkering and as a fall-back if I break whatever I upgrade to (I'm looking at the EVO LTE because I'm in an area that's getting LTE soon, but by August I may want something different.

Sent from my awesome EVO 4G

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well since our phones are almost antiques now I thought I'd start this thread for all those upgrading to say their goodbyes instead of 1000 different threads popping up and me closing them.

Be nice and conduct yourselves like adults.

XDA Moderator
    Just got my s3 a few hours ago. While im still a moderator around here i wont be a dev forvevo anymore....tears

XDA Moderator
    It's not a real thread without someone being contrary- I'M KEEPING MY DAMN PHONE trololololol
    Is that an EVO?!!

I'm hearing that more than ever these days.
    The iconic kickstand is hard to miss.

"How can you stand using such an outdated phone" they say.
    Then I show them I'm running KitKat 4.4.4 then I hear WOW!

My EVO is not only still living, IT'S THRIVING!!

Thanks Capt, Vin, Wambo, Evervolv and all those who showed the EVO such love.

"I wonder what a lollipop tastes like"... said my EVO.
    Well, I got my HTC One. It's great, and if you like DK rom, Digitalkarma picked up right where he left off with the supersonic.

Highly recommended. I'll still drop by in this thread every now and then, but for the most part... Good bye!!