CM7 BREAKTHROUGH! Radio UP!

Search This thread

Genesis3

Feb 17, 2006
market-ticker.org
Aug 10, 2011
No donations please; Isaac deserves the lion's share of the credit here, and he's a student. I'm a grizzled old codewriter, writer in general and trader of the market; I don't need it, I just want a better and faster ROM on the phone for myself ;-)

here here cheers to that :beer: the students need it more then us old guys we have or had great paying jobs (for me in computers). where as he is still getting his feet wet so to speak. i agree he deserves the donations for all his code he has laid out.

Genesis3

Feb 17, 2006
market-ticker.org
Yep.

Realistically speaking I've got a dozen or so hours into this so far, and a lot of it is "hurry up and wait" on compiles and such. I don't even know how to program in Java, although it's not very difficult - this is coming from a guy who taught himself how to program in Z80 assembler in the 70s and hacked on a Burroughs bookkeeping machine's opcodes to change tax rates and such a few years previous. All computers work basically the same way irrespective of language and if you "get it" then provided you have something you can trace and observe you can usually eventually figure out what has to be done.

Fortunately android is open enough to be able to do that, although it pisses me off to no end that the allegedly "open" nature of Android doesn't extend to things like changes to the so-called "abstraction layer" in the RIL such that if companies stick in extensions they're required to document the entry points, parameters and what they do. Without that the alleged "open" nature is a bad joke, and leads to exactly the situation we're in now with CM7.

Incidentally that disassembly has shown that the two original upcalls I thought we had to handle aren't the whole story. There are more of them - a bunch more. I've had to hack out one more exception already, and there will be more. Some can probably be safely ignored but I'm quite sure all of them can't be, and that sucks. This is why the state is not getting passed back up into the stack - that unsolicited "network state change" upcall is the one that I KNOW I have to figure out how to handle, and there are probably more. If someone has SOURCE to a Sprint CDMA RIL.java and RILConstants.java file from the framework (not a decompiled spaghetti ball - I already have the latter) on a motorola device (presuming the CDMA Qualcomm code is identical or nearly-so) that would make getting this thing going a literal piece of cake. I've posted a request in a couple of places for anyone who might have that (here on XDA and over on Androidforums) but so far no response. That implies that it may not exist beyond the walls of Motorola, and if so that just plain sucks.

I'm also unimpressed that the unit doesn't appear to identify itself in the class definitions as a Triumph - at least not where I am looking for it. That sucks as the code changes I'm making WILL bork other CM7 devices and thus they need to be wrapped in conditionality - without a RELIABLE way to get that I'm hosed there too. That's not important right now but it will be to merge this back with the base CM7 code and not end up with a forked version that requires independent maintenance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rezanow

bigvandal

Jan 24, 2008
This is great. I have been following your work over on the other forum. and eventho I have no clue as to what half the stuff your talking about means I read every last bit of it to see whats going on with the progress. Im amazed to see people so dedicated to building these ROMs. I wish I knew how to do this so I could help.

timedroid

Oct 31, 2010
Yep.

Realistically speaking I've got a dozen or so hours into this so far, and a lot of it is "hurry up and wait" on compiles and such. I don't even know how to program in Java, although it's not very difficult - this is coming from a guy who taught himself how to program in Z80 assembler in the 70s and hacked on a Burroughs bookkeeping machine's opcodes to change tax rates and such a few years previous. All computers work basically the same way irrespective of language and if you "get it" then provided you have something you can trace and observe you can usually eventually figure out what has to be done.

Fortunately android is open enough to be able to do that, although it pisses me off to no end that the allegedly "open" nature of Android doesn't extend to things like changes to the so-called "abstraction layer" in the RIL such that if companies stick in extensions they're required to document the entry points, parameters and what they do. Without that the alleged "open" nature is a bad joke, and leads to exactly the situation we're in now with CM7.

Incidentally that disassembly has shown that the two original upcalls I thought we had to handle aren't the whole story. There are more of them - a bunch more. I've had to hack out one more exception already, and there will be more. Some can probably be safely ignored but I'm quite sure all of them can't be, and that sucks. This is why the state is not getting passed back up into the stack - that unsolicited "network state change" upcall is the one that I KNOW I have to figure out how to handle, and there are probably more. If someone has SOURCE to a Sprint CDMA RIL.java and RILConstants.java file from the framework (not a decompiled spaghetti ball - I already have the latter) on a motorola device (presuming the CDMA Qualcomm code is identical or nearly-so) that would make getting this thing going a literal piece of cake. I've posted a request in a couple of places for anyone who might have that (here on XDA and over on Androidforums) but so far no response. That implies that it may not exist beyond the walls of Motorola, and if so that just plain sucks.

I'm also unimpressed that the unit doesn't appear to identify itself in the class definitions as a Triumph - at least not where I am looking for it. That sucks as the code changes I'm making WILL bork other CM7 devices and thus they need to be wrapped in conditionality - without a RELIABLE way to get that I'm hosed there too. That's not important right now but it will be to merge this back with the base CM7 code and not end up with a forked version that requires independent maintenance.

Again, have you looked at the code you get from the following GIT checkout?
repo init -u git://codeaurora.org/platform/manifest.git -b gingerbread -m M76XXUSNEKNLYA1060.xml

Genesis3

Feb 17, 2006
market-ticker.org
I think so but will take another look.

At this point I have a working radio for in and outbound calls and SMS. It's not querying the stack for the MID and MDN though and as a result data will not come up since the stack thinks it's unprovisioned.

Audio is also not working so we're a ways away from something even slightly functional for actual use, but progress IS being made.

jase5273

Aug 28, 2010
Espyville
Okay, so I am still a newbie at this when it comes to ROMs, but the one question I have is how would I put this ROM on my phone? I really want to use it, and I know that I need a little bit of help with it. If anybody can help me out with this, please do so. It would greatly be appreciated.

Genesis3

Feb 17, 2006
market-ticker.org
It's NOT usable for even rudimentary use right now, as there's no audio. There's a problem that appears to be in the kernel that I'm working on related to that.

Given all that if you want to play with it the instructions and file link are over on the other forum near the end of the thread.

Reactions: jase5273

iloveandroid16

Jul 25, 2011
Fort Pierce, Florida
Save the file to you SD card then boot into clockworkmod, then go to download zip from sd , then find the rom zip, then install.

Okay, so I am still a newbie at this when it comes to ROMs, but the one question I have is how would I put this ROM on my phone? I really want to use it, and I know that I need a little bit of help with it. If anybody can help me out with this, please do so. It would greatly be appreciated.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk

Genesis3

Feb 17, 2006
market-ticker.org
BTW if you do anything that "requires" audio output (oddly enough a phone call doesn't, nor does boot, etc - but pressing a volume key DOES!) it will instantly crash as the base part of the framework faults and down you go.

I'm looking for the cause of the failure to attach the audio - I got the Motorola kernel to build so in theory at least the proper drivers should be present. This one is proving to a lot of fun to run down and I've yet to identify the specific calls in the log that tell me init on the audio failed - this is very much a "stare at the code" sort of thing.

Genesis3

Feb 17, 2006
market-ticker.org
Hoh hoh hoh hoh hoh.....

Now as soon as kernel.org comes back up (for those who are unaware they got hacked with a MIM attack recently) - right now that repo won't sync and neither will anything else that references kernel.org resources.

Incidentally MAJOR progress has been made and continues to be made.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Bawhahahaha....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu5maTCil8Y

The thread over on Androidforums....

http://androidforums.com/triumph-al...a-preview-build-08122011-a-3.html#post3129160

That's real progress - we now have a working radio. There's much more to do and Isaac deserves the lion's share of the credit for getting us a bootable system; I managed to hack on enough of the radio code to get it off the ground this evening.
    No donations please; Isaac deserves the lion's share of the credit here, and he's a student. I'm a grizzled old codewriter, writer in general and trader of the market; I don't need it, I just want a better and faster ROM on the phone for myself ;-)
    I think so but will take another look.

At this point I have a working radio for in and outbound calls and SMS. It's not querying the stack for the MID and MDN though and as a result data will not come up since the stack thinks it's unprovisioned.

Audio is also not working so we're a ways away from something even slightly functional for actual use, but progress IS being made.
    Yep.

Radio is working - see the other thread.