Canonical releases Ubuntu Phone OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Febby

May 19, 2010
Yea unfortunately you will not be able to run android apps, it will have it's own specific market place. They have already put up some tips on developing for mobile so Im sure some people have already gotten a head start on it :fingers-crossed: using html 5 or native apps..

Really can not wait for this, I keep checking the website and thread for updates..would be awesome to see a release this week as a surprise. :good:

Thanks for that! Do you think it would be hard for current developers on android to port or work on a ubuntu version of their app with the given resource? I hope not because I will then contact some app makers I use. :D

Febby

May 19, 2010
Since they aren't even using the same language I really doubt that you'll get anywhere. You don't need to tell a developer a new OS is out, they know and either are or aren't planning to code for it.

Not all developers. The developers to the app i use the most have to be reminded by me about most bugs or suggestions. I'm there mentor for new creative updates. They didn't know about Android till gingerbread when I asked their team leader.

Segnale007

Feb 24, 2010
Mexico City
twitter.com
Not really impressed. Beside gestures which I personally don't use and a messy UI, there is really nothing that convince me this OS will get to anywhere.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Dragn4rce

Jun 29, 2012
Anaheim
So I'm slightly confused. Would this work on any android phone. Like am entry level Galaxy Phone like the Samsung Galaxy II Exhibit 4G(SGH-T679)?

Also if this is one piece software of software that can work on any phone, How do it handle radios. Like the Toro, Toro+ and the GSM Nexus?
-------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you.... hit that sexy thanks button. ^_^

Last edited:

Dragn4rce

Jun 29, 2012
Anaheim
Minimum specs are 1ghz A9 512mb ram and 800x480.

If it does it probably only supports GSM as is and anything else is up to the community.
Does it have to be an A9? Or can a scorpion work too? I apologize for being dumb.
--------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Acvice

Aug 11, 2011
A quick question to those of you who know a thing or two about these things...
We all know that GSM versions of mobile operating systems usually take precedence over their CDMA counterparts for reasons of scale. This has been the case in the past as well as with the Open WebOS project. We can only assume that the builds they plan on releasing in the next few weeks will be for GSM networks.. But what is the likelihood of a version with CDMA radio working? Is it something that, if Canonical doesnt release, we wont be seeing for a while?

063_XOBX

Jun 6, 2010
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Google Pixel 4 XL
A quick question to those of you who know a thing or two about these things...
We all know that GSM versions of mobile operating systems usually take precedence over their CDMA counterparts for reasons of scale. This has been the case in the past as well as with the Open WebOS project. We can only assume that the builds they plan on releasing in the next few weeks will be for GSM networks.. But what is the likelihood of a version with CDMA radio working? Is it something that, if Canonical doesnt release, we wont be seeing for a while?

CDMA isn't an open standard. So I doubt Canonical will bother trying to support it. Its not worth the headache.

rodmc123

Aug 15, 2012
atleast in the demo it doesn't work very smooth.. it is laggy, and the way you switch between apps is a little akward, for example if you open 10 apps, and you wanna go to the first app you opened, you would have to slide your finger 10 times to go there (it is like sliding between pics in the gallery app) it is a lot more practical the way it is in android with a button from where you can switch between apps or close them. and if you wanna switch between apps similar to ubuntu you can use LMT and configurate it to slide between your apps sliding 2 fingers on the screen. i have to say , this didn't impress me at all atleast in the videos... i dont see better performance of the device or anything interesting, just a new way to do exactly the same you do now but with an uglier and less smooth interface.

anyway, i hope to be wrong and lets hope that the final version will be a lot more powerful than what we see in the demo videos.

Last edited:
Reactions: SahilC

Ashtrix

Dec 21, 2010
Android is and will be Immortal :D !!
Ubuntu may lack community development, just like webOS , meego .

Justinhopaolo

May 15, 2011
If ever this gets to our devices. Will the store still be Google play?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Dragn4rce

Jun 29, 2012
Anaheim
Android is and will be Immortal :D !!
Ubuntu may lack community development, just like webOS , meego .
It might see see development now that it is gonna be able to run on android devices. And it's not just one device like the nexus. ;)

Ashtrix

Dec 21, 2010
RIM and BB are proof that no smartphone is immortal. If somebody had said 5 years ago that RIM would be hemorrhaging money they'd have been thought a fool. Look where they are today.

Have a look at how google's integrated into your daily internet needs, not like the commercial microsoft or closed apple types, we may have development on this OS but how many people around the globe would tend to shift to another OS in this cost effective market of OEM's :rolleyes:.

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

It might see see development now that it is gonna be able to run on android devices. And it's not just one device like the nexus. ;)

hmm that is good, any surprises from canonical would be great ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Canonical just announced their mobile OS called Ubuntu Mobile
    Now, you're probably wondering why I put this in the GNex general.
    Let me tell you.
    The dev phone at this phase for UM is the one and only, Galaxy Nexus.
    As seen here: http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/02/ubuntu-for-smartphones/
    And in pretty much every picture of it on http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone

I made this thread for discussion, speculation and the likes :)

So, how long do you think until the first build is avalable for us?

UPDATE: Everything we know so far (basic information and release times) are here:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/18y9ij/when_this_post_is_3_hours_old_canonical_will/

Official instructions for installation (You need to have a Ubuntu/compatable Linux distribution installed):
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install
    Easiest way to install the preview image:
    (Method discovered by eng.stk)
    For people wondering about install (tried with TWRP):

1. Nandroid backup
    2. Factory Reset
    3. Grab quantal-preinstalled-armel+maguro.zip (MD5: e4c9c5601019ec7ce24f43f317361982) and quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip (MD5: edd3c43909a6e73ac254b2673d40cc53) from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-touch-preview/quantal/mwc-demo/
    4. Flash quantal-preinstalled-armel+maguro.zip
    5. Flash quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip (this one will take a while, grab some coffee :laugh:)
    6. Reboot (screen will go black but after a few seconds Ubuntu is up)
    7. Profit :highfive:

This install didn't wiped my sdcard. I just restored my TWRP backup after a short Ubuntu testdrive.
    If you are paranoid, just copy your stuf from SDCARD to your PC before flashing.
    How to go back to Android?
    It's easy.
    You can either restore the Nandroid backup you made earlier (assuming you followed the instructions all the way) or just flash a ROM. It's as easy as that.
    Do you work for canonical?

Yes...

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

Only question I have, if I load this onto my Galaxy Nexus, how easy will it be to re-install Android if I don't like it?

If Canonical get this right then more people might give it a try, if getting Android back is to differ-cult then not sure I'll attempt it.
    It's as easy as flashing a new rom... you flash ubuntu from cwm and you have ubuntu, go back to the recovery and flash android or your backup
    Install Ubuntu the easy way

For people wondering about install (tried with TWRP):

1. Nandroid backup
    2. Factory Reset
    3. Grab quantal-preinstalled-armel+maguro.zip (MD5: e4c9c5601019ec7ce24f43f317361982) and quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip (MD5: edd3c43909a6e73ac254b2673d40cc53) from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-touch-preview/quantal/mwc-demo/
    4. Flash quantal-preinstalled-armel+maguro.zip
    5. Flash quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip (this one will take a while, grab some coffee :laugh:)
    6. Reboot (screen will go black but after a few seconds Ubuntu is up)
    7. Profit :highfive:

This install didn't wiped my sdcard. I just restored my TWRP backup after a short Ubuntu testdrive.
    If you are paranoid, just copy your stuf from SDCARD to your PC before flashing.
    Canonical just announced their mobile OS called Ubuntu Mobile
    Now, you're probably wondering why I put this in the GNex general.
    Let me tell you.
    The dev phone at this phase for UM is the one and only, Galaxy Nexus.
    As seen here: http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/02/ubuntu-for-smartphones/
    And in pretty much every picture of it on http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone

I made this thread for discussion, speculation and the likes :)

So, how long do you think until the first build is avalable for us?
    Installing Ubuntu on your phone is very easy, you can do this from cwm...
    I will keep you guys updated once we release the img files!
    Keyboard

Hey folks , here is a screen of the keyboard