[ROM] [STOCK] [NAE] [4.4.2] Stock Rooted NAE Rom - Yes it boots

Bootloader combo

• Total voters
Search This thread

mingolianbeef

Apr 14, 2011
So this just has knox apps not knox bootloader? Ive been avoiding knox like the plague so I dont wanna be knoxed up now.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Dont wanna get knoxed up, use protection :) (couldn't resist lol) just to contribute to answering questions:

1. The vast majority of the bulk (after having it installed) can be uninstalled. I went ahead an installed epic launcher (cant tell you how much more I can tolerate TW with a different launcher, transparent navbar and the ability to hide apps from the launcher). in my case, I just long pressed apps in the app drawer, and drug it to the "uninstall" option in the launcher.
1a. Obviously you can't install Sprint apps w/o root unistaller

2. Before someone asks, ART isn't in it. crapwiz (based on what I have read in articles) is incompatible holistically with ART (how the hell do you build on the latest version and not incorporate your features AROUND some of its greatest additions?). Whether or not someone cracks the code to allow it to show up is left to be seen.

3. This is Touchwiz 4.3, top to bottom aesthetically, with 4.4's features, so for those unsure, don't look for the UI that was in those leaked images (which I would have hoped for as well).

4. There does seem to be less lag with 4.4

5. Unknownforce is awesome for this before someone asks :)

Hope this helps. I have the the rom up and running. If you have a question, I'd love to contribute and answer if I can!

chris-allen

Jun 22, 2012
here is my problem.... i flashed this rom....then ODIN the nae modem...now i have no cel service or data....however i do have wifi.....was there a step a missed? what ver. of odin should i use?.. every DAMN link is linked to some sort of fake spam site.... :(

k2buckley

Sep 24, 2010
I'm up and running, but unable to get wifi working, so far. It just won't turn on. I am on the latest firmware. My bootloader is not knox, I don't even remember which one it is. I think it's MF9. I reflashed the firmware a couple times, and I'm sure that it stuck correctly. Everything is listed as NAE. Not sure what the problem is, but I'm thinking I'm just going to Odin MK2 and go from there, unless anyone else has some suggestions for me. Thanks a lot for the work Unknown

Maddball

Oct 29, 2010
Los Angeles - GS6-GS8+
I'm up and running, but unable to get wifi working, so far. It just won't turn on. I am on the latest firmware. My bootloader is not knox, I don't even remember which one it is. I think it's MF9. I reflashed the firmware a couple times, and I'm sure that it stuck correctly. Everything is listed as NAE. Not sure what the problem is, but I'm thinking I'm just going to Odin MK2 and go from there, unless anyone else has some suggestions for me. Thanks a lot for the work Unknown

I'm having the same issue. No wi fi..

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda premium

k2buckley

Sep 24, 2010
I'm having the same issue. No wi fi..

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda premium

I'll be odining mk2 as soon as its done downloading, then I'll be going through the process again. I may just take update ota after flashing mk2. Ill see what happens and post back.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

fgr

Mar 1, 2008
Overland Park, KS
here is my problem.... i flashed this rom....then ODIN the nae modem...now i have no cel service or data....however i do have wifi.....was there a step a missed? what ver. of odin should i use?.. every DAMN link is linked to some sort of fake spam site.... :(

Same deal here.

Odin'd the modem again to see if that helped, but it didn't.

Currently restoring a nandroid to see if it comes back.

On a positive note, my deodexed/deknoxed version flashes and boot fine, except for no mobile data (wifi is fine).

mingolianbeef

Apr 14, 2011
FTR (for the record), I am:

1. Coming from an OmniROM 4.4 build
2. On MK2 Bootloader
3. On the NAE Firmware
4. On Philz recovery

If you are dealing with issues, flash it, boot it, then reboot back into recovery, do a "wipe to install new ROM" instead of factory reset), wipe cache, wipe dalvik, and then flash. Seems tedious, but... well I was going to say its worth it but it's touchwiz so nevermind... its cool to be able to say you are on 4.4 and others are on 4.3 lol. Hell my GF is on 4.2 and refuses to update just because she has a fear of losing her text messages, even AFTER i told her I could back it up, smh.

fgr

Mar 1, 2008
Overland Park, KS
Same deal here.

Odin'd the modem again to see if that helped, but it didn't.

Currently restoring a nandroid to see if it comes back.

On a positive note, my deodexed/deknoxed version flashes and boot fine, except for no mobile data (wifi is fine).

Ok, restored my nandroid of NAE from yesterday (used the update from MK2 to get NAE) and mobile data is fine.
@Unknownforce, any ideas?

fgr

Mar 1, 2008
Overland Park, KS
FTR (for the record), I am:

1. Coming from an OmniROM 4.4 build
2. On MK2 Bootloader
3. On the NAE Firmware
4. On Philz recovery

If you are dealing with issues, flash it, boot it, then reboot back into recovery, do a "wipe to install new ROM" instead of factory reset), wipe cache, wipe dalvik, and then flash. Seems tedious, but... well I was going to say its worth it but it's touchwiz so nevermind... its cool to be able to say you are on 4.4 and others are on 4.3 lol. Hell my GF is on 4.2 and refuses to update just because she has a fear of losing her text messages, even AFTER i told her I could back it up, smh.

Been there, done that, nogo... Tried just factory reset also...

TheZander

Aug 9, 2011
Will the S4 will ever get that camera all around panorama thing that the note 3 has? I thought that was going to be part of kitkat. I know there are zips floating around but I could never get it to work always crashes.

optimummind

Jun 17, 2012
Orange, CA
I started with the following setup: Stock rooted MK2, stock MK2 kernel, MK2 baseband, and MF9 Knox-free bootloader.

Flashed the NAE ROM just fine using the latest Philz recovery~! :D The phone booted up just fine, thank you, Unknownforce~!

Upon boot, however, I had no Sprint cell service. No Wifi, no data.

So I shut the phone down, booted into Download mode, and flashed the NAE modem using Odin v3.07.

The flash didn't stick. Inside Settings, it still said Software version is Unknown and Baseband version Unknown.

Flashed again but same thing.

And here is the weird thing. After two failed NAE modem flashes and the Settings still saying Unknown for the Software version and Baseband version, my Wifi started to work all of a sudden after just a restart of the phone. I logged onto my home Wifi, signed into Google, and I was able to download and update my apps.

But I still have no Sprint service. :confused: I wonder why the NAE modem flash isn't working this time. It worked multiple times just fine before when I was still on the MK2 setup.

I'm gonna nandroid back to MK2 and MK2 baseband then try ordering things differently.

fgr

Mar 1, 2008
Overland Park, KS
As I said before, flashing this rom left me with no mobile data.

Restored my nandroid of NAE that I achieved by upgrading from MK2 (knox bootloader) and mobile data is fine.

Using adb, I deleted everything in /system/framework, /system/app, and /system/priv-app.

I then pushed all of the files that I had deodexed from UnknownForces rom back to the appropriate folders and everything booted fine and I have mobile data.

So I know the data problem isn't within any of those files.

Just thought this was interesting, but don't know if it's of any use in solving the data problem.

On a side note, services.jar has been changed a little as far as the wifi hotspot goes. The old mod will not work. This is my main reason for deodexing. I'm going to look into it more later.

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
Dont wanna get knoxed up, use protection :) (couldn't resist lol) just to contribute to answering questions:

1. The vast majority of the bulk (after having it installed) can be uninstalled. I went ahead an installed epic launcher (cant tell you how much more I can tolerate TW with a different launcher, transparent navbar and the ability to hide apps from the launcher). in my case, I just long pressed apps in the app drawer, and drug it to the "uninstall" option in the launcher.
1a. Obviously you can't install Sprint apps w/o root unistaller

2. Before someone asks, ART isn't in it. crapwiz (based on what I have read in articles) is incompatible holistically with ART (how the hell do you build on the latest version and not incorporate your features AROUND some of its greatest additions?). Whether or not someone cracks the code to allow it to show up is left to be seen.

3. This is Touchwiz 4.3, top to bottom aesthetically, with 4.4's features, so for those unsure, don't look for the UI that was in those leaked images (which I would have hoped for as well).

4. There does seem to be less lag with 4.4

5. Unknownforce is awesome for this before someone asks :)

Hope this helps. I have the the rom up and running. If you have a question, I'd love to contribute and answer if I can!

I pushed the missing ART files into system and was able to get the ART runtime option to appear in the Developer Menu but the phone never rebooted past the pulsating Samsung logo. Yes, it appears that touchwiz is incompatible with ART.

optimummind

Jun 17, 2012
Orange, CA
After restoring my MK2 nandroid and flashing back to the MK2 modem, I tried flashing this NAE ROM again. I did the steps differently this time though.

So from stock rooted MK2 (with stock MK2 kernel, MK2 modem/baseband, & MF9 bootloader), I first booted into Download Mode and flashed the NAE modem/baseband with Odin 3.07. I confirmed that the flash was successful by rebooting the phone and looking inside Settings. I had Sprint cell service and 4G LTE but no Wifi.

Then I booted into Philz, wiped the phone twice for a custom ROM install, then flashed the NAE ROM.

Phone booted up fine but I ended up with no Sprint cell & LTE service. Also no Wifi.

Looking inside Settings, the NAE modem/baseband disappeared. Now it just says Unknown for Software version & Baseband version.

So it seems that by flashing the NAE ROM, the previously successful flash of the NAE baseband (from within the MK2 environment) becomes lost/disappears.

What I wonder is, is this because the NAE ROM is checking the Bootloader version and after it sees the MF9 bootloader, it deactivates the baseband and Sprint service?
@Unknownforce Any ideas/suggestions for what I should try next?

Gabewithkungfugrip

Feb 11, 2010
For comparison, I figured I should report that I am not having any of the issues you all are experiencing with connectivity. My bootloader was updated with the NAE ota, so your suspicions about the older bootloaders causing the problems might be correct.

The order in which I installed this was as such: flash philz > wiped everything > reboot to download mode > flash NAE modem > pulled battery and booted to recovery > factory wipe > installed rom > reboot

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Download here -> Link

Thanks to @optimummind, it looks like we have a working method now.

Happy news to report~!! Everything works~!! :D

First of all, I give 100% credit to @jt1975 for PM'ing me with instructions for what he did to make the NAE ROM and NAE baseband work on the MF9 Knox-free bootloader with everything working - Wifi, cell service, and data. :D

Before I undertook the steps he provided, my phone setup was as such:

-Stock, Rooted MK2
    -Stock MK2 kernel
    -MK2 baseband
    -MF9 Knox-free bootloader
    -Latest Philz recovery

Now, here is what I did:

1. Downloaded ROM Manager from the Play Store & installed CWM v6.0.4.4 (not the Touch version).
    2. Flashed Unknownforce's NAE modem/baseband using Odin v3.07. I shut down the phone completely & booted into Download Mode by holding down Power & Vol Down.

-Unchecked "Auto Reboot" & "F. Reset Time.)
    -Once it said "Passed," held down the Power Button for 10 seconds until the phone rebooted automatically.
    -Upon reboot, verified that the baseband flash was successful by going into Settings.
    -In Settings, it said NAE for "Software version" and "Baseband version."
    -At this point, I had no Wifi (couldn't even turn it on) but did have cell service and data.

3. Rebooted phone into CWM v6.0.4.4 recovery by shutting down the phone completely first then turning it
    back on by pressing Power Button + Vol Up.

Inside CWM v6.0.4.4, I performed:
    -"Wipe data/factory reset."
    -"Wipe cache partition"
    -"advanced" -> "Wipe Dalvik cache"
    -"mounts & storage" -> "format /cache"
    -"mounts & storage" -> "format /system"
    -"mounts & storage" -> "format /data"
    -"Wipe data/factory reset"
    -"Wipe cache partition"
    -"Wipe Dalvik cache"

-Flashed Unknownforce's version 2 NAE ROM

4. Rebooted phone.

From the get-go, everything began working - the cell service bars were active, 4G LTE turned on, and later, I was able to sign into my home network.

Now, some pictures... :D

Once again, mad props to @jt1975 for helping me & others~!! :laugh: :good: :D
    Are u able backup anything? Think the ad card permissions are jacking with stuff. It let me delete stuff with root explorer but tb seem to be having a issue

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

If you're having problems writing to the sdcard, there is a fix:

Using root explorer or equivalent, navigate to /system/etc/permissions and look for a file named "platform.xml".

Open it with a text editor.

Look for the android.permission WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE as shown below and add the line I marked with "<---Add this line."

Code:
     <permission name="android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
          <group gid="sdcard_r" /> 
     </permission>

<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
          <group gid="sdcard_r" />
          <group gid="sdcard_rw" />
          <group gid="media_rw" /> <---Add this line
     </permission>

<permission name="android.permission.ACCESS_ALL_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
          <group gid="sdcard_r" />
          <group gid="sdcard_rw" />
          <group gid="sdcard_all" />
     </permission>
    Reboot and you should have full write access to the sdcard.
    I guess this is what happens when we there are no more real devs working on our phone. No instructions, no support and no trouble shooting. Just push roms out with no work done to it.

I'd be happy to see your dev work. How's that going for you? Got all your mods updated too?

Take your negativity elsewhere, no-one cares.

Everyone please simply ignore this, don't reply and feed the trolls. Thanks.
    There are no devs working on NAE. You would be the only person so far. The problem I am talking about is no one is providing support. You got all butt hurt over nothing. It wasn't directed at you directly, just at the devs in general. But yes you are included. You posted in the OP that you don't know why people can't put up a working rom. But you didn't either. hence why someone else got it working.

Don't get butt hurt cause someone called you out for being in the wrong. I don't have to have dev work in order to speak. That would not be how the real world works bud.

1. If no one else has posted a NAE rom that doesn't mean no one is working on it. 1.3G rom takes a lot of time to make, pack, copy to sd card, flash and test.
    2. If you would of done some actual dev work you would of know what it takes to make at least 80-90% working rom.
    3. More people have access to rom more problems/bugs can be handled in less time thus posting a rom/development that has booted or worked on at least one phone is quite OK.
    4. As a long time samsung user I can say with a high level of certainty that are no 2 sammies phones created same. A rom/kernel can work on 100's of them while not working on another 100's.
    5. OP said it boots and don't recall him saying that this is a 100% working rom. Not even samsung was ever able to release an OS bug free. Same goes to Microsoft and Apple. Thus never expect a 100%.....
    6. As my experience with this particular rom shows the problem was on my end and not the developers. So not every problem and/or bug can be development related there are a lot of user errors as well since we are not pros but rather do all this for fun and as a hobby.
    7. And yes. Before calling out a dev for uncoplete/buggy work you have to do some on your own to know what are you talking about and to know what it takes to develop a fully working (at least to the most part) rom/them/mod/kernel etc...
    You may agree or disagree with all of the above but at least I'm positive that I know what I'm talking about and I'm talking from experience which many here and in another threads can confirm...
    Just my 2 cents..
    I believe I've figured out the problem with the Lock Screen Options. I'll be asking for a few Testers in the morning probably around 9 AM Central Time. For now, I'm tired of flashing 500 times an hour trying to figure it out, so I'm going to bed.

Don't ask to test yet, since you don't even know what's entailed, also I need very specific test beds, so you don't even know if you fit the criteria or not.

Also, don't message me please. If your message in my inbox is related to this test, it'll just be deleted. I know you're all anxious to have it fixed, trust me, noone wants this fixed more than I do. But, just be patient, one more day without lock screen options won't kill you.

More details on what exactly I'll need in the morning.

If you want to be "first in line" so-to-speak, the best estimate I can give you is about 9AM tomorrow, but that depends on how busy it is at work tomorrow morning.

For now, I've been working on this issue on nearly all of my free time for almost a week now, my brain needs rest.

Cheers.