Internets keep cutting out

Search This thread

randrewm97

Nov 7, 2011
cincinnati
I had this problem running miui, cm7, and now I'm on unnammed. I've used all the modems and still nothing helps. I thought unnammed didn't have this problem? To fix it I haft to flip to airplane mode and back, then its fixed.

Sorry if this has been asked. I'm on taptalk on my phone and I don't know how to search with it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

quarlow

Feb 6, 2008
Tooele, UT
Could be APN settings. I don't know them off hand, but they are listed in post 2 of the miui thread.

If it happens on multiple ROMs it could also be a bad SIM card. Does it do it on pure stock? If so, try a new SIM card.

Sent from my Galaxy S II (i777)

randrewm97

Nov 7, 2011
cincinnati
ok, thanks. ill look them up. this issue is making me want to switch back to my iphone, but hopefully this will fix it cause i like android, just this is getting old

PizzaAmerican23

Aug 13, 2010
I had this problem running miui, cm7, and now I'm on unnammed. I've used all the modems and still nothing helps. I thought unnammed didn't have this problem? To fix it I haft to flip to airplane mode and back, then its fixed.

Sorry if this has been asked. I'm on taptalk on my phone and I don't know how to search with it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

I've had the same thing happen to me on other AOSP roms too. On both the SGS2 and my captivate.

I just switched to iscrewed to see if the prob is still there. Its hard to reproduce the bug, but it happens when i go from either:
1. being connected to wifi for a long time and then leaving that area, mobile data doesnt turn back on
2. being in a bad service area for a long time, and then leaving it, mobile data doesnt turn back on.

The worst thing about it is i use google voice for texts, and thats usually how i can tell that it cut out, because i stop getting texts from people.

I love android and google, but honestly if problems like this dont get ironed out, then as long as the next iphone has a decent size screen im probably switching over.

FYI this has occurred when i had the bare minimum installed on my phone, and i never use any ridiculous battery saving apps.

quarlow

Feb 6, 2008
Tooele, UT
I've had the same thing happen to me on other AOSP roms too. On both the SGS2 and my captivate.

I just switched to iscrewed to see if the prob is still there. Its hard to reproduce the bug, but it happens when i go from either:
1. being connected to wifi for a long time and then leaving that area, mobile data doesnt turn back on
2. being in a bad service area for a long time, and then leaving it, mobile data doesnt turn back on.

The worst thing about it is i use google voice for texts, and thats usually how i can tell that it cut out, because i stop getting texts from people.

I love android and google, but honestly if problems like this dont get ironed out, then as long as the next iphone has a decent size screen im probably switching over.

FYI this has occurred when i had the bare minimum installed on my phone, and i never use any ridiculous battery saving apps.

Have you tried a new SIM card? My problem was similar, and followed me from one phone to another as you describe. New SIM card fixed it right away.

PizzaAmerican23

Aug 13, 2010
Have you tried a new SIM card? My problem was similar, and followed me from one phone to another as you describe. New SIM card fixed it right away.

Wow, i didn't even consider that.

I will be trying and will report back. If this fixes it i will owe you my life!

I might have to switch back to cm7 just to name sure it's the Sim card that's causing it.

randrewm97

Nov 7, 2011
cincinnati

ill try this out tomorrow. just now when checking my email i had to turn on airplane mode and back off to get data to work.

also, i tried the apn settings on the first page of the miui thread and it didnt work. i tried those settings on miui, wiui, cm7, and unnammed but they all made it so that my internet didnt work at all.

so just to clarify, i shouldnt haft to change apn settings and my phone shouldnt be doing this on non stck roms, right? sim is likely the problem? this has gotten really old really quick and its embarrassing when im trying to show my friends something but my phone isnt working.

quarlow

Feb 6, 2008
Tooele, UT
Your phone should work fine on any ROM you find here. Mine does. I never have to play with APNs, even on miui. I never have to play with airplane mode or power cycle. But, when my SIM was bad I would drop data connectivity all the time. Calls would fail (outbound only), and other glitchy reception issues. Sometimes airplane mode fixed it, sometimes power cycle, sometimes airplane mode on, power cycle, and all times it was temporary. Its worth a try, shouldn't cost anything to get a new SIM. If they give you trouble at the store just tell them you called 611 and they told you to go in for a new one. If that doesn't fix it go warranty route for a new phone.

estxxas

Dec 25, 2011
also, i tried the apn settings on the first page of the miui thread and it didnt work. i tried those settings on miui, wiui, cm7, and unnammed but they all made it so that my internet didnt work at all.

Those APN settings have worked fine for me on both CM7 and every Sammy ROM I've used. I always have (unrelated) problems with MIUI, so I can't verify that one.

PizzaAmerican23

Aug 13, 2010
So i went today and got a new SIM. Its been about 9 hours, but no problems yet. Time will tell if it works, but im willing to bet that was the problem, and this is why.

When i went to get my sim, the guy there told me that when ATT started rolling out 4g phones (which includes 3.5g) many employees had trouble with their data switching on and off until they switched their sim cards.

Then i started thinking to myself - I've had the problem about as long as I had my SGS2, and only had the problem with AOSP roms on my captivate - then i made the connection.

When i used a stock, or stock based rom on my captivate, i had no problems. The second i used an international ROM, or an AOSP rom is when i would have the issues. What is the difference between the roms............. The ATT rom doesnt have hspa+ enabled, so using my old "3g" sim card i was fine. No 3.5g to connect to to cause problems. CM and international Roms would use that new 3.5g network and would then screw up.

That is my theory anyway, and if it turns out true it would have solved one of my biggest annoyances with android. (or at least my android experience)

fingers crossed :)

randrewm97

Nov 7, 2011
cincinnati
i too went in and got a new sim. my phone service actually quit working before going in. id get calls and i could hear them but they couldnt hear me. i replaced the sim and all is good. where miui would hang and data would freeze and id haft to redo the airplane mode trick, it would just hang for a sec or 2 and then start downloading again. ive only had it hang 2x now and i think its because it might be switching from hspa to 3g or even wifi.

so for the sim card thing worked. if it fails in the mean time, ill come back to this and give an update. thanks for suggesting it being the sim card cause i wouldnt have thought of that.

PizzaAmerican23

Aug 13, 2010
I'm another day strong without any problems. I don't know of its due to the new sim or because i switched to a Samsung based rom. I should switch back to test, but I'm loving the speed of icsrewed right now.

If i had to guess i would say it's due to the sim, and if so, there should be a sticky somewhere that says to make sure your not using an older 3g sim card. Would have saved me months of aggravation.

Will report back after a few more days. In a week or so I'll switch back to cm to see if it fixes it there as well.

quarlow

Feb 6, 2008
Tooele, UT
That's one reason I generally buy my phones at the att store (authorized reseller, but dedicated to att phones). Usually they will price match, and they know things like that. My SIM went bad when I had my captivate. Later when I upgraded to a faux G phone the att rep knew I would need a new SIM, and replaced it then, even though it was only a month old. They also knew the "3G" data plan needed to be converted to a "4G" (still unlimited) plan on their system for me to get data.

You don't get that kind of assistance when you buy at Walmart, online, etc.

penguinlogik

Oct 28, 2011
That's one reason I generally buy my phones at the att store. Usually they will price match, and they know things like that. My SIM went bad when I had my captivate. Later when I upgraded to a faux G phone the att rep knew I would need a new SIM, and replaced it then, even though it was only a month old. They also knew the "3G" data plan needed to be converted to a "4G" (still unlimited) plan on their system for me to get data.

You don't get that kind of assistance when you buy at Walmart, online, etc.

Amazon Mobile just sends you a new simcard anyways lol

zynine

Nov 13, 2010
Interesting, maybe next time if my data refuses to work I should bug at&t for a new Sim card. I had problems on different roms including stock rom where I had to turn off and on my data or else it will not work. But I think my modem might have played a role. Data seems fine now.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA App

penguinlogik

Oct 28, 2011
Interesting, maybe next time if my data refuses to work I should bug at&t for a new Sim card. I had problems on different roms including stock rom where I had to turn off and on my data or else it will not work. But I think my modem might have played a role. Data seems fine now.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA App

If you go directly to an AT&T store they replace it for free.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Your phone should work fine on any ROM you find here. Mine does. I never have to play with APNs, even on miui. I never have to play with airplane mode or power cycle. But, when my SIM was bad I would drop data connectivity all the time. Calls would fail (outbound only), and other glitchy reception issues. Sometimes airplane mode fixed it, sometimes power cycle, sometimes airplane mode on, power cycle, and all times it was temporary. Its worth a try, shouldn't cost anything to get a new SIM. If they give you trouble at the store just tell them you called 611 and they told you to go in for a new one. If that doesn't fix it go warranty route for a new phone.