AOKP vs. AOSP

Search This thread

zoppp

Nov 17, 2011
What are the differences between these two sources or whatever they are? Still confused what differentiates whitehawkx's AKOP based rom from the Eaglesblood AOSP rom?

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA

painter_

Dec 10, 2006
North Eastern Ohio
AOSP = Android open source project.
source from google. Nothing added other then what is needed to make it work on the phone. (drivers)​

AOKP = Android open kang project
Close to aosp but with many enhancements added behind what is needed to make it work on the phone.​

Cyanogen mod would fall into the same category as AOKP.

Hope this helps.

zoppp

Nov 17, 2011
source from google. Nothing added other then what is needed to make it work on the phone. (drivers)​

Close to aosp but with many enhancements added behind what is needed to make it work on the phone.​

Hope this helps.

Thank you, that cleared up alot.

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA

DsturbD

Feb 27, 2012
Kannapolis, NC

Hope this helps.

as would all the other ROMs on here? hellfire, eaglesblood? they are made from CM7/9 correct? unless otherwise noted?

Klathmon

May 1, 2011
as would all the other ROMs on here? hellfire, eaglesblood? they are made from CM7/9 correct? unless otherwise noted?

not really, AOKP uses some CM9 stuff, but its definitely a proper ROM on its own.

Any rom that says AOSP in its name is generally Built from google source code, with little to nothing from CM7/9 other than what might be necessary to get things running.

MIUI is another rom that, while built from CM7/9 is VERY different.

ROM's like Hellfire, and others similar to it, are mostly just a proper CM7/9 ROM with tweaks, and small fixes put into it, and more recently (to my annoyance) other kernels too.

Overall, CyanogenMod was probably the greatest thing to happen to android modding as a whole, they provide a base for most things to branch off from (and they don't even complain when everyone and everything uses their source!) The only reason its in everything is because if its something that the user will not see, and it works, why spend the days/weeks/months to develop it when its sitting right on CyanogenMod's GIT.

DsturbD

Feb 27, 2012
Kannapolis, NC
not really, AOKP uses some CM9 stuff, but its definitely a proper ROM on its own.

Any rom that says AOSP in its name is generally Built from google source code, with little to nothing from CM7/9 other than what might be necessary to get things running.

ROM's like Hellfire, and others similar to it, are mostly just a proper CM7/9 ROM with tweaks, and small fixes put into it, and more recently (to my annoyance) other kernels too.

Overall, CyanogenMod was probably the greatest thing to happen to android modding as a whole, they provide a base for most things to branch off from (and they don't even complain when everyone and everything uses their source!) The only reason its in everything is because if its something that the user will not see, and it works, why spend the days/weeks/months to develop it when its sitting right on CyanogenMod's GIT.

yeah it does, thanks Klathmon!!

mackster248

Aug 1, 2009
Palmdale, CA

That's almost true. Even though it's AOSP and all from Google's Android source, they still used CM's source tree because they put everything together. No point in spending an enormous amount of time to put it together yourself if CM already did it. So technically it's still a large portion of CM's work.

miku3191

Jan 4, 2011
INDIA

Thanx for this information but i need to know more about the layers of the ROM that are there in AOSP and AOKP (i heard this from a friend that AOSP have 7 layers and AOKP has about 10 is that true? and the AOSP makes the interaction easier then that of the AOKP).

noahk423

Sep 4, 2011
Thanx for this information but i need to know more about the layers of the ROM that are there in AOSP and AOKP (i heard this from a friend that AOSP have 7 layers and AOKP has about 10 is that true? and the AOSP makes the interaction easier then that of the AOKP).

What do you mean by "layers"?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hope this helps.