Different camera module/casing on warranty swap S4? EDIT: nope, just plastic covering

Search This thread

waylo

May 9, 2010
So I ordered a warranty replacement for my S4 because I thought the bluetooth a2dp was not functioning right. Looks like it's probably my a2dp speaker, because both S4s don't work quite right with it. Oops!

One random thing I noticed, as I'm debating which one to send back (a bit too OCD, I know), is that the camera modules, or at least the outer casing, are different. Take a look at the photos.

Any thoughts on why they look different? I suppose some phone manufacturers make minor cosmetic changes as they hit their 5 or 10 millionth piece.

On the older one, there's a metal 'frame' which rings the lens (the white photo). Lots of scratches on it which seems inevitable based on the photos I've found. This 'newer' one does not.

Attachments

• samsung-galaxy-s4-rear-camera-macro1.jpg
    samsung-galaxy-s4-rear-camera-macro1.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:

waylo

May 9, 2010
With more searching, I found this thread...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...6-plastic-covering-galaxy-s4-camera-lens.html

And with different search terms, there are lots of much older threads on xda here.

Which raises the possibility that a lot of S4 users (myself obviously included) have kept this plastic covering on the camera, not realizing it's even there.

It certainly does not look like a temporary covering to me, especially if there's a cutout right in the middle!

Sorry, non-issue!

Last edited: