[APP-Kernels] Kernel Manager released!

Search This thread

Shinzul

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 30, 2010
Virginia
What would make this project epic is the inclusion of Grub so we can store locally, and boot different kernels.

The app does this, basically... once you're downloaded a kernel, you can flash back to it any time without having to re-download. Flashing a kernel takes less than 10 seconds, then it reboots.

sparkyryan

Jan 27, 2011
Every device will at least have the ability to download kernels through the app. Not all devices will be supported for the flashing process (for obvious reasons).
Nice, it will save me looking through 3 or 4 sites to search kernels even if I can't flash it to my n1

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA Premium App

rickpref

Aug 5, 2010
Wouldn't it be more convenient if Google just hired TeamWin and Cyanogen and incorporate all the different features into AOSP? It's amazing what you guys are doing.

monkeychef

Jul 21, 2010
NJ
Wouldn't it be more convenient if Google just hired TeamWin and Cyanogen and incorporate all the different features into AOSP? It's amazing what you guys are doing.

It's too bad carriers wouldn't want them working on Android. If the carriers didn't care, I'm sure Google would snatch them up to improve the os.

Fightspit

May 13, 2010
Paris
Does this app give links of the kernel sources (hosted by developers) ?

Otherwise, it breaks the GPL license and moderators may lock this thread :/

eyeballer

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2010
teamw.in
Cool. But you can only flash between two kernels, or can you be presented with a list like Grub?

There will be a list, as long as kernel devs upload their kernels.

have any bites on devs posting their kernels yet?

We have some, but you may want to check with your favorite kernel devs and encourage their participation :)

uhh. I cant find a download link for this??J

It's not out yet, stay tuned.

Kernel devs are required to submit a link to their source with their binary for Kernel Manager, it will be made available to the users.

Reactions: ModXMV and -shift-

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Kernel Manager released! Lite (free): http://tinyw.in/0i8, Pro (cost): Available in the Market...ENJOY!

Hey everyone! Team Win is back again, this time with a new app with a very simple but ambitious goal: create a place where all kernel developers can submit kernels easily and reach a much wider audience with ease.

The app currently does this:

1) Downloads a kernel from our fast and stable teamwin server
    2) Unzips the relevant files (modules included)
    3) Flashes the kernel
    4) Installs the kernel modules
    5) Clears cache/dalvik-cache
    6) Reboots to apply the changes.

This entire process takes less than a minute, generally, (depending on download speeds of course :)), and it is extremely simple for end-users to find a kernel, filter by kernel features (BFS, CFS, HAVS, SBC, etc) download/install kernels, and submit ratings for their favorite kernels.

If you use IRC, join us in freenode in #kernel-manager!

Submitting a kernel to Kernel Manager is totally free and we even provide hosting for you! Right now I'm looking for kernel developers to submit kernels to start populating the app. Submitting kernels is easy!

THE LINK IS FOR KERNEL DEVELOPERS SPECIFICALLY! Go to http://kernels.teamw.in and register for an account! Once it's approved, you can easily enter new kernels, which immediately show up in the app. The app will be released in the market, and there will be a free+ad supported version, and a for-cost version that removes the ads.

Right now, we have a specific list of supported phones, but plan to add every nand-unlocked phone as soon as possible. (There are a lot of variables to account for on multiple devices to make sure the process works :))

Please feel free to provide me with any feedback you have, or feature requests in order to make this a great tool for all of android to utilize!

wOLuF.png

Cvuyp.png

GVORg.png
    I have a question, this is to be a paid app?

What would be the kernel developers motivation for helping you to profit from their kernel work? If not a paid application please disregard.

If you read the OP, there will be an ad-supported free version and an ad-free paid version.

Our hope is kernel developers will see this as a way to get their kernels to a wide audience as well as receive comprehensive feedback from the users directly on our management interface.

Finally, hosting for the kernels through kernel manager as well as use of our interface is free to the developer.

Finally finally, I would really hope that the kernel developers would understand that TeamWin's goals have always been to advance development for the community as a whole, as clearly evidenced by Wimax in Cyanogenmod and our FREE HDMwIn mirroring solution (for the Evo).
    Thank you very much kind sir! Not a big deal as everything was smooth sailing after booting into recovery. Gotta love those nandroids. :D

If anyone was having issues with the "out of disk space" bug, please try the latest market version (1.2.0). It fixes this issue!
    Cool. But you can only flash between two kernels, or can you be presented with a list like Grub?

There will be a list, as long as kernel devs upload their kernels.

have any bites on devs posting their kernels yet?

We have some, but you may want to check with your favorite kernel devs and encourage their participation :)

uhh. I cant find a download link for this??J

It's not out yet, stay tuned.

Kernel devs are required to submit a link to their source with their binary for Kernel Manager, it will be made available to the users.
    Don't know if it has been asked in the thread already but is there anyway to backup your current kernel before you flash the new one. That way you could roll back to your old kernel easily. Great app and yes I bought the pro version.

This is slated to be a Pro feature at some point soon(tm).