[HOW TO][FIX] Recover your IMEI

Search This thread

boakun

Mar 26, 2010
Vancouver
check device manager, and manually install driver for qpst and select motorola, com port under show all devices.

Brenardo

Nov 13, 2010
This is a reoccurring problem with the S4 processer. Coming from an S3 these threads are littered throughout all carriers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Orphee

Jan 31, 2008
Google Pixel 8
Hi !

I found the following stuff on another website for QPST :
To make a backup:
Open Software Download from the Start Clients menu.
Click on the Backup tab.
Make sure your phone is listed under port.
Select the location you want to save your backup.
Click Start and wait for it to finish.
You should now have a QCN file of your NV.
Save the file in a safe place.

To restore:
Open Software Download from the Start Clients menu.
Click on the Restore tab.
Make sure your phone is listed under port.
Select the location you saved your backup to.
Click Start and wait for it to finish.
The phone will attempt to restart if it fails don’t panic just manually reboot your phone it may take longer than usual but you should be fine.

Can it be done before any modification to the phone in order to restore it directly in case of any issue like IMEI loss ?

Thank you

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Yes, you can restore the .qcn backups and it should fix the IMEI if it is corrupt or blank.

In a normal restore you would receive an error message that NV_UE_IMEI_I is read only and was not written.

estuardo4

Jul 7, 2009
Hello madmonkey57 (or anybody else with the knowledge)

I flashed the CM10 ROM that epinter posted. Everything was working OK until sudently my phone lost the data and voice signal. I cannot make calls or use data and a recording from my carrier says that my phone has been suspended. Ichecked for an IMEI error and no, my listed IMEI is correct (I used QPST to restore it because it was listed as (0) when I installed the Feench ROM before). I've been reading xda-developers forums looking for an answer, but the only one I have found so far involves an EFS folder, but it seems that is only used on Samsung phones.

I don't know what to do now, as I cannot use my phone at all. I retried to install other ROMs, restore an old nandroid backup I had, and other solutions listed on other sites, but now I'm stuck. Nothing's worked so far.

If someone have a hint or knows the name of an Android guru on other forums, please let me know.

Thank you very much for your help.

madmonkey57

Oct 21, 2012
If neither your nandroid backup nor a stock ICS ROM are working, it may be a hardware problem...

EDIT: on second thought, this "phone suspended" notice... I have the feeling your carrier blacklisted your phone i.e IMEI. Try another SIM card maybe... Could be working with another carrier...
Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

android69800

Oct 6, 2011
Lyon
If neither your nandroid backup nor a stock ICS ROM are working, it may be a hardware problem...

EDIT: on second thought, this "phone suspended" notice... I have the feeling your carrier blacked out your phone i.e IMEI. Try another SIM card maybe... Could be working with another carrier...

I think your imei is blacklisted

Orphee

Jan 31, 2008
Google Pixel 8
It would be interesting to know why... usually they blacklist when the phone is stolen. Never heard about blacklist because of a custom rom... ?

estuardo4

Jul 7, 2009
I think your imei is blacklisted

Indeed, it was black listed. I received some data with one ROM when my IMEI was (0), then I manually entered the original one using QPST and when I flashed CM10 my IMEI went again to (0) and that's when my carrier suspected a bad use of the line and suspended it. I don't blame them, it is a good security measure.

I have to go to the service center and I had the fortune to talk with a really well prepared technician. They restored the original ROM and now all is well. I will try new ROMs for sure, but I will disconnect my data service before it connects to the network.

Thank you for your suggestions.

coolbird

Nov 11, 2007
I have a XT926 and the IMEI is 0. I tried this mathod, the item #550 is there, I changed it per the discription, but when I pressed "Write NV", an error window popped said the parameter is write protected and thus read only. Anything I did wrong? I followed your steps exactly. Thanks!

madmonkey57

Oct 21, 2012
I have a XT926 and the IMEI is 0. I tried this mathod, the item #550 is there, I changed it per the discription, but when I pressed "Write NV", an error window popped said the parameter is write protected and thus read only. Anything I did wrong? I followed your steps exactly. Thanks!

Sure you followed the procedure exactly? It should work...

UserDemos

Oct 31, 2011
Orlando, FL
Could anyone who has done this on an 64-bit Windows installation help me out? I tried several different options and followed a few threads, but couldn't add the COM portion. And the pre-release drivers only came in 32-bit versions.

If anyone could help me out here or via PM, that would be excellent. I'd love to recover my IMEI and be able to use my phone again. Massive thanks to anyone who can help me.

coolbird

Nov 11, 2007
Could anyone who has done this on an 64-bit Windows installation help me out? I tried several different options and followed a few threads, but couldn't add the COM portion. And the pre-release drivers only came in 32-bit versions.

If anyone could help me out here or via PM, that would be excellent. I'd love to recover my IMEI and be able to use my phone again. Massive thanks to anyone who can help me.

Windows Virtual PC (running xp) works for me.

coolbird

Nov 11, 2007
Bump! Anyone has figured out how to do this on QT926 Verizon version Razr HD yet? It is driving me crazy. OP's approach didn't work, looks like the nv table is read only. I also tried to use QPST to backup the QCN, thinking I could hex edit the qcn file then have it restored to the phone, and turned out the phone doesn't even allow you to restore the qcn backup with QPST's Software Download tool. What the #~^*&($%# ....

lukas5622

Jan 8, 2013
BP Tools

Does anybody how to access it on a Defy Mini? I can't access it how the guide says. Thank you all.

jenfito

Dec 31, 2012
is posible this method with my razr i; since lost the imei like you, but when I try it does not appear to the computer as COM port.

Is likely to help me?

RMarques

Jan 28, 2013
OnePlus 8
Razr HD XT925 IMEI went to 0

Hey there fellas, great source of help you have here, congrats everyone!

I've tried on different PCs but no matter what, I cant make my XT925 shows up as a COM port and thus, I cant work on it on QPST!

Fast boot it in BP Tools do give me enough permissions to do the job?

Any hint?!?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DISCLAIMER

USE THIS METHOD AT YOUR OWN RISK.

THE TOOLS INVOLVED ARE VERY POWERFUL. THEIR USAGE IS VERY RISKY. BE AWARE AND PAY EXTRA ATTENTION TO WHAT YO ARE DOING.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR PC OR PHONE OR ANY EQUIPMENT ATTACHED GET DAMAGED / BROKEN / UNUSABLE.
    I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU SOMEHOW GET IN TROUBLE, HURT OR INJURED.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS TUTORIAL IS ABOUT RECOVERING YOUR OWN IMEI IN CASE IT GETS CORRUPTED OR DELETED. IT IS NOT ABOUT CHANGING YOUR IMEI TO A DIFFERENT ONE. THIS IS ILLEGAL IN MOST COUNTRIES. I WON'T PROVIDE SUPPORT ON HOW TO DO THIS. DON'T BOTHER ASKING.

PURPOSE

The purpose of of this tutorial is to help people recover their IMEI.

Flashing the leaked SFR (France) 4.1.1 OTA and then flashing back a stock 4.0.4 ROM might as a side effect delete your IMEI, "Settings / About phone / Status" shows "0". With an IMEI set to 0, chances are your phone can't register to any mobile network, meaning no calls, no texts, no data.
    There might other scenarios which will end up deleting/corrupting your IMEI. This tutorial might help.

CREDITS

I take absolutely no credits at all for this. A huge "Thank You" to cellzealot for pointing me in the right directions in this post. From then, I understood the idea, the process and the required tools. In addition, I got some details from these threads:

- [HOW-TO][FIX] Repair your IMEI with QPST - updated w/ info. Thanks to PureMotive
    - [FIX/TOOL] Backup/Restore/Fix IMEI Data Restore Tool Updated - Updated 9/04/2012!!!. Thanks to Peoplearmy
    - RAZR M - USB Drivers and Flashing App. Thanks to compnird

REQUIREMENTS

- a Windows XP 32 bits PC (a Virtualbox VM works OK)
    - Motorola pre-release USB 32 bits Drivers v5.9.1
    - QPST v2.7.378
    - Your IMEI: a 15-digit code

I won't redistribute any of the tools since I'm not authorized to, but I'm pretty sure you can handle this by yourself i.e check out the threads referenced in the CREDITS section...

FOREWORD

This method has been successfully tested on an XT925 running stock Orange (France) ICS ROM. IMEI was set to 0. Software was installed in an XP SP3 running in a Virtualbox 4.2.4 (Debian host).
    Other people reported successful IMEI recovery with different setups:
    - running XP in with VMware Workstation 9
    - running the required drivers/tools in Win7 64 bits & Win 8 64 bits

PROCEDURE

1/ Install the Motorola pre-release USB 32 bits Drivers v5.9.1 on your Windows XP 32 bits PC. Make sure to install all the embedded drivers. Windows might ask you to confirm for each of them. Just go ahead.
    2/ Install QPST v2.7.378. Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable is a prerequisite.
    3/ Boot up your device in BP Tools Mode (while your device is on, hold Vol-/Vol+/Power buttons for a few seconds until the screen turns black, then release Power. Another few seconds later comes up the boot menu. Release Vol-/Vol+, then quickly press Vol- a few times to highlight "BP Tools" then Vol+ to trigger it). The device will start as usual (with extra features turned on).
    4/ Plug your device into your PC (USB port)
    5/ Run QPST Configuration from your Windows Start menu. Switch to the second tab ("Ports") and choose "Add new port" (bottom left button). You should see a COM port associated with "USB/QD Diagnostic". Select it, then press Ok. You can close the QPST Configuration window now.
    6/ Open Windows Explorer and browse to "C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\QPST\bin" (or wherever you installed QPST) and launch RF_NV_Manager.exe. In RF NV Manager, Go to "Settings / Comport". You should see your COM port in the dropdown box. Select it, then press OK.
    7/ Go to "File" and choose "Read from phone". RF NV Manager will read all NV items from the phone. Now if you see item #550, you will be able to alter it (see below). If you can't find it, you're gonna have to create it first. Choose "Option / Customize NV item list", then find item #550 on the left listbox and transfer it to the listbox on the right, then Save. You should see item #550 in the main listbox now.
    8/ Now comes the critical step of altering the IMEI. Select item #550 and you'll see 9 boxes on the right, a "Write NV" button and an "Hex" checkbox.

First of all, check the "Hex" checkbox.
    Now, you'll have to enter the IMEI in the 9 boxes in a very specific way. Check out the explanation below, copy/pasted from [FIX/TOOL] Backup/Restore/Fix IMEI Data Restore Tool Updated - Updated 9/04/2012!!!:

The Hex values for your IMEI will consist of no more than 2 characters per a box and must match your IMEI or it will not take the values you enter.
    The IMEI is also listed in a special order so you must follow this guide to ensure your IMEI is correct.
    The first box will always be an 8.
    The second digit in the second box will always be a.

Example if your IMEI was: 954091051099226, then the boxes would look like so:

9a
    9/ You can then press "Write NV" to write the IMEI value to your phone.
    10/ Once done, unplug the device, and reboot it.

That's it. Check your IMEI. Hopefully, it's been successfully recovered. If not, well, ...

Good luck!

EDIT: Please report if you successfully recovered your IMEI, and give as many details as possible i.e about your device (XT925/XT926), your ROM, your PC (physical/virtual machine type and version..., Windows version). Thanks.
    how would i enter my imei in nv 550. my imei is 352530050121987
    3a
    I am just asking if it is possible or not, not asking about its legitimacy
    Please don't ask. Refer to the disclaimer in the first post. Thank you.
    just one more question, I'm having trouble with hitting the Imei in hexadecimal mode, would help me with the imei 358017000825135 correctly? Grateful.

Try it with EFS_Professional -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1308546

There you can write your IMEI "normaly"... EFS "translate" it to correct HEX and write it to Phone

konrat

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 AM ----------

I will try to Explain step by step...but attention ! My english is not realy good!

...and everyone do this at own risk!...bring your Battery to 100%...and make a full backup with your favorit recovery!

what do You need:

1. (7.7.1Q_144_VQU_S3-35-1101_SIGNED_SIGNEMEA_USAVANQUSFRLTEOFF021.0R_LSAVNQICSVFFR_P043_A038_CFC.xml.zip)

from there -> http://sbf.droid-developers.org/vanquish_u/list.php

2. (Blur_Version.7.61.1101001.XT925.Vodafone.en.FR.zip)

from there -> http://www.multiupload.nl/N2EGZ7EV66

3. EFS_Professional

from there -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1308546

4. Rsd-Light

from there -> https://app.box.com/s/cmoz84iachug77tghdlo

5. The latest Driver from Motorola

from There -> http://www.mymotocast.com/download/MDM?platform=windows

Next:

6. you must extract the "7.7.1Q_144...zip" File

7. Than go were you extract and edit the "7.7.1Q_144...xml" file with "notepad++" or similar

-> remove the Line with (<step operation="getvar"...) / and the line with (<step operation="flash" partition="partition" filename="partition_signed"...)

Save this under the same Name

8. copy the "Blur..zip" to external sd-card in your Phone

9. turn your Phone off

10. press "Power" and "Volume UP" together -> than go with "Volume Down" to "Fastboot" and press "Volume Up" Now you are in the "Fastboot Mode"

11. Connect the Phone with your PC over USB -> Windows install now driver automatically...maybe you must install the Motorola Driver from "5."

12. than open RsdLight and select the "7.7.1Q_144...xml" file in the Folder wer you have extract

13. Now Start the Flash...this take a wile...you Phone should reboot automatically

14. when it´s ready, leave out all "Phone-config" -> turn your phone off again

15. press "Power" and "Volume UP" together than go with "Volume Down" to recovery and then press "Volume Up" -> than press "Volume Up" and "Volume Down" together -> you see now the Menu -> go to “apply update from external storage.” press "Power" and select the "Blur..zip" also with "Power"

16. when it´s ready reboot the phone and turn the phone off again

17. Repeat step 10. 12. and 13.

18. and now the IMEI should be "0"

19. tourn your Phone off

20. press "Power" and "Volume UP" together -> than go with "Volume Down" to "BP Tools" and press "Volume Up" your phone reboot now

21. connect your Phone over usb with your PC...windows will now install Driver for the new "Hardware"...you have Win 7?...than windows would not find all Driver...but no problem...you need only a driver for "Motorola QC Diag Port"

22. go to the "Device Manager" go to "QC Interface" -> select "Update Driver Software" -> select "Browse my computer for driver software" -> than select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" -> select "Ports(COM&LPD)" -> go to Manufacturer Motorola and select "Motorola QC Diag Port" -> confirm the Warning, it´s OK!

23. Now open EFS_Profesional -> select "Quallcomm NV Tools" -> go to "Available COM Ports" and select "Motorola QC Diag Port" -> than press "Connect" -> your IMEI read now automatically, it should be "000000000000000"

24. write now your correct IMEI in this field -> than go to "Write To" and select "Device" and now PRAY to GOD and press "Write" ;)

25. reboot your phone and now you should have a Beautfull new IMEI! ;)

I Hope i have nothing forgotten...and it is comprehensible... :eek:

konrat
    Just want to confirm, this is not my actual IMEI just a couple of digits different but mine would be

My IMEI is 353182060141291

Would this be correct?

3a
    Looks good to me!