Microsoft surface experience?

Search This thread
B

brandonjuraimi

Hello guys. For those who have used the Microsoft surface, can you share your experience? I am just curious about its speed, performance, and how user friendly it is :D

Sent from my GT-N7005 using xda premium

cmscritic

Feb 15, 2008
I love mine. I find the interface refreshing and unique, the people app lets me do way more with social media than I have been able to do in the past. Typing on the touch cover is still a bit of a challenge but they are saying it takes a few days to get it done properly. Speed wise, there are no issues. Mine is snappy and responsive. Battery life is amazing. I can use it all day 6am until 7pm and still only be down to around 30-40% battery remaining. There is a lack of apps but nothing that I can't wait out. I expected the ecosystem will take a bit to get going and I'm willing to wait. I sold my ipad with retina and honestly don't miss it at all.

mchimney

Aug 15, 2010
I really love mine the more I use it. I'm typing this on the touchcover and although I make a lot of mistakes I seem to be getting better at it. That said, I do have some issues but nothing that major (yet!). Battery life seems to be much less than the ipad, people report 8-10 hours, I only get like 4-7. The apps are a disappointment, but I plan to use this device productively soo all I really need is dropbox. The device seems to slow down when editing 2 page documents in word. I tried to make a brochure on here and dragging pictures around was a nightmare. I did type a paper onhere and while it took longer then on a regular keyboard it wasn't that bad.

IE 10 for metro is complete trash. Can't even load XDA so I find myself always forced to use the desktop version. If you buy one, I suggest the model higher than 32gb as we really only get lke 14 gb because of the os taking up so much room.

The touchcover gets very dirty it seems. I'm not suire if I can clean it without ruining it. I sneeze on it before and it has a nasty stain =/.

The device itself is very prone to scratches, I tend to try to plug the thing into charge while its dark and that damn connector is such a pita that I always scratch the bezel.

I love the keyboard gestures (which I know can be used on any computer). The UI is very fast, there's a crap ton of gestures to learn. Yet, there are some gripes. Closing an app takes a crazy amount of time. You have to drag all theway from the top of the screen to the bottom, unnecessary.

Overall, I love it and I plan on keeping it. I still have my ipad and my nexus 7 but this really helps me get stuff done. The fact I can plug in almost any usb device and hve it work is amazing. You can even charge cellphones and stuff with the USB. I would recommend getting the surface IF you realize you can't run anything that's not in the store. No browser addons, no exe fils, nothing. Sometime that makes me wish I got the pro, but this device is really enough. Get past the quirkiness of metro + desktop and it's a beast.

Sorry for the typos. This was typed on the touch cover while lying down in bed.

*EDIT* The messenger app sucks realy badly too. You add someone as a friend (which can't be done in the app you have to go to a website) then you can't ever send them a message cause it says "Name unavailable" but they can send you messages. Its a one way form of communication.

*Edit2* Another clunky part. There are no jpg thumbail previews in the desktop. And when you want to open an image it has to open a program in metro

Last edited:

tcsekhar

Mar 2, 2008
Hello guys. For those who have used the Microsoft surface, can you share your experience? I am just curious about its speed, performance, and how user friendly it is :D

I love the surface responsiveness and the new UI. But still there is still miles to go to get this perfect.

1. After being ON for more than 3 days, clicking on Email opened up weather, can't reach the email by clicking on any of the tiles. Same with IE. I had to reboot.
2. The auto rotate stopped working suddenly. I had to reboot to get it working again.
3. The email Client is awful. Need a better email app. It can't even match 10% of other email client's functionality. (No multi select, too much delay when navigating emails in the list, no option to Archive vs Delete, Moving to folders isn't as easy,
4. There is no Cisco VPN client. If your work requires non standard Cisco VPN connectivity, stay away.
5. Enterprise Distribution of apps isn't clear yet. We shouldn't have to have enterprise apps published to Microsoft Store every time.
6. Silverlight doesn't run on RT? Kidding me?
7. Playing HD video isn't going to be easy. Not even one app which could play MKV files.
8. The copy paste of text inside surface isn't as easy as in iPad. Sometimes it takes too much time to get the needed text selected on IE.
9. Needs tweaking to run Flash on all websites (its a hack. Why?)
10, Pointing the cursor to an exact place in a text area isn't as easy as in iPad with the magnifying glass.

By the way, WHERE IS THE REPORT A PROBLEM button in RT :D ?

Though I have so many complaints, I still love my Surface. I don't use my iPad anymore. Many times, I had tried to touch my monitor while using my laptop. MS is spoiling me ;)

cmscritic

Feb 15, 2008
I really love mine the more I use it. I'm typing this on the touchcover and although I make a lot of mistakes I seem to be getting better at it. That said, I do have some issues but nothing that major (yet!). Battery life seems to be much less than the ipad, people report 8-10 hours, I only get like 4-7. The apps are a disappointment, but I plan to use this device productively soo all I really need is dropbox. The device seems to slow down when editing 2 page documents in word. I tried to make a brochure on here and dragging pictures around was a nightmare. I did type a paper onhere and while it took longer then on a regular keyboard it wasn't that bad.

IE 10 for metro is complete trash. Can't even load XDA so I find myself always forced to use the desktop version. If you buy one, I suggest the model higher than 32gb as we really only get lke 14 gb because of the os taking up so much room.

The touchcover gets very dirty it seems. I'm not suire if I can clean it without ruining it. I sneeze on it before and it has a nasty stain =/.

The device itself is very prone to scratches, I tend to try to plug the thing into charge while its dark and that damn connector is such a pita that I always scratch the bezel.

I love the keyboard gestures (which I know can be used on any computer). The UI is very fast, there's a crap ton of gestures to learn. Yet, there are some gripes. Closing an app takes a crazy amount of time. You have to drag all theway from the top of the screen to the bottom, unnecessary.

Overall, I love it and I plan on keeping it. I still have my ipad and my nexus 7 but this really helps me get stuff done. The fact I can plug in almost any usb device and hve it work is amazing. You can even charge cellphones and stuff with the USB. I would recommend getting the surface IF you realize you can't run anything that's not in the store. No browser addons, no exe fils, nothing. Sometime that makes me wish I got the pro, but this device is really enough. Get past the quirkiness of metro + desktop and it's a beast.

*EDIT* The messenger app sucks realy badly too. You add someone as a friend (which can't be done in the app you have to go to a website) then you can't ever send them a message cause it says "Name unavailable" but they can send you messages. Its a one way form of communication.

*Edit2* Another clunky part. There are no jpg thumbail previews in the desktop. And when you want to open an image it has to open a program in metro
In response to some of your issues. I love metro ui based IE and find it loads XDA without issue. A good tip is to enable adblocking filters using the tips in this forum (find the topic called tips). It loads XDA fine now for me.

Closing an app by dragging top to bottom takes a lot of time? It's a half second gesture man. Be realistic. Alot of your complaints are issues that are not issues at all. It's a different UI, give it a break.

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

I love the surface responsiveness and the new UI. But still there is still miles to go to get this perfect.

1. After being ON for more than 3 days, clicking on Email opened up weather, can't reach the email by clicking on any of the tiles. Same with IE. I had to reboot.
2. The auto rotate stopped working suddenly. I had to reboot to get it working again.
3. The email Client is awful. Need a better email app. It can't even match 10% of other email client's functionality. (No multi select, too much delay when navigating emails in the list, no option to Archive vs Delete, Moving to folders isn't as easy,
4. There is no Cisco VPN client. If your work requires non standard Cisco VPN connectivity, stay away.
5. Enterprise Distribution of apps isn't clear yet. We shouldn't have to have enterprise apps published to Microsoft Store every time.
7. Playing HD video isn't going to be easy. Not even one app which could play MKV files.
8. The copy paste of text inside surface isn't as easy as in iPad. Sometimes it takes too much time to get the needed text selected on IE.
10, Pointing the cursor to an exact place in a text area isn't as easy as in iPad with the magnifying glass.

Though I have so many complaints, I still love my Surface. I don't use my iPad anymore. Many times, I had tried to touch my monitor while using my laptop. MS is spoiling me ;)
MKV does not equal HD, so try playing an MP4 or something in HD before making comments like this. So what if it doesn't play MKV format, there are plenty it does play.

B

brandonjuraimi

I love mine. I find the interface refreshing and unique, the people app lets me do way more with social media than I have been able to do in the past. Typing on the touch cover is still a bit of a challenge but they are saying it takes a few days to get it done properly. Speed wise, there are no issues. Mine is snappy and responsive. Battery life is amazing. I can use it all day 6am until 7pm and still only be down to around 30-40% battery remaining. There is a lack of apps but nothing that I can't wait out. I expected the ecosystem will take a bit to get going and I'm willing to wait. I sold my ipad with retina and honestly don't miss it at all.

Wow your experience with the Microsoft surface sure is awesome. It sounds awesome and I can't wait to check it out. Not sure if it is available in my country though... :(

B

brandonjuraimi

The Microsoft surface is still new so it probably still have quite a number of flaws. Hope Microsoft work on it and come out with Microsoft surface 2?

B

brandonjuraimi

That sounds really troublesome and watching movies and videos is a pain.

tcsekhar

Mar 2, 2008
In response to some of your issues. I love metro ui based IE and find it loads XDA without issue. A good tip is to enable adblocking filters using the tips in this forum (find the topic called tips). It loads XDA fine now for me.

Closing an app by dragging top to bottom takes a lot of time? It's a half second gesture man. Be realistic. Alot of your complaints are issues that are not issues at all. It's a different UI, give it a break.

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

MKV does not equal HD, so try playing an MP4 or something in HD before making comments like this. So what if it doesn't play MKV format, there are plenty it does play.

I agree MKV does not equal HD. But the best compression today seems to be MKV files, and I have a ton of those. I don't want to convert all of them again into MP4 or any other format at this point. When all other OS supports playing it, why not MS - especially when they are late in the game, and know what the expectations are?

mr_dan

Nov 23, 2010
only 4-7 hours? maybe faulty device? everybody has like 8-10.. 4-7 aint too good

cmscritic

Feb 15, 2008
Mine with continuous use from morning 7AM till 9PM still have 30% juice. I just use for browse & search - no play or video.
Agreed. Mine is about the same.

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

I agree MKV does not equal HD. But the best compression today seems to be MKV files, and I have a ton of those. I don't want to convert all of them again into MP4 or any other format at this point. When all other OS supports playing it, why not MS - especially when they are late in the game, and know what the expectations are?
I know what you mean, I'd love to have it too (especially for the space savings) but I think we need to give MS some time to get the apps rolling. It's a new ecosystem and I've no doubt it'll get rolling soon. Would LOVE to see VLC on it.. that would rock.

mchimney

Aug 15, 2010
I understand the os is new but I love the potential. I love this device regardless of my complaints. I do miss Google though.

In regards to my battery, I think something must be wrong, I'm using quite a lot of battery even just idling

cmscritic

Feb 15, 2008
I understand the os is new but I love the potential. I love this device regardless of my complaints. I do miss Google though.

In regards to my battery, I think something must be wrong, I'm using quite a lot of battery even just idling
I'd take it in and have it looked at. I can usually go the whole day without issue.

B

brandonjuraimi

Probably your wifi, email or any idling applications could have cause the huge drainage of battery

guitar1969

Feb 1, 2012
Probably your wifi, email or any idling applications could have cause the huge drainage of battery

I know Bluettoth also kills battery on phones and on the surface it is on by default. We need one of those battery monitoring apps, especially since the Start screen doesn't report battery details - I did find the "Windows Mobility Center" in the backend/desktop, and created a link on the start screen - it provides batter percentage among other shortcuts - pretty cool.

what I do love about the Surface is all the little things that can be tweaked on the descktop - By far more customizable than any other tablet out there.

Reactions: Dadstar

encho

Jul 10, 2010

MKV is just a container, like avi or ogg. So actual compression is x264 or as some call it mp4. There is also MP4 container which contains also x264 compressed videos, so moving files from mkv to MP4 is possible without reencoding, but just repacking.

But I agree, it is not for everyone and I'm sure mkv support will come soon through some third party app like vlc or mplayer.

This device is very new to the market and the os as well.

guitar1969

Feb 1, 2012
MKV is just a container, like avi or ogg. So actual compression is x264 or as some call it mp4. There is also MP4 container which contains also x264 compressed videos, so moving files from mkv to MP4 is possible without reencoding, but just repacking.

But I agree, it is not for everyone and I'm sure mkv support will come soon through some third party app like vlc or mplayer.

This device is very new to the market and the os as well.

MKV is definitely the container of choice for HD in this day and age so any current system needs to be able to handle it if they want to sell units My whole HTPC movie library is in MKV. Having to convert to mp4 is not very practical as it requires time and steps (I use Handbrake for my Ipod touch). The latest Androids can play alomost anything thrown at them. I am sure someone will release a video player that will handle it if the surface is truly to be considered a media device. The question is will MS let it get certified in the store (Still unclear on the process and what's allowed - I would love to see a Opera or Firefox borwser too and I thought MS got sued years back for limiting options of browsers on the desktop OS). The question is how open MS will be to allow competing apps, especially if they want to sell hardware.

encho

Jul 10, 2010
MKV is definitely the container of choice for HD in this day and age so any current system needs to be able to handle it if they want to sell units My whole HTPC movie library is in MKV. Having to convert to mp4 is not very practical as it requires time and steps (I use Handbrake for my Ipod touch). The latest Androids can play alomost anything thrown at them. I am sure someone will release a video player that will handle it if the surface is truly to be considered a media device. The question is will MS let it get certified in the store (Still unclear on the process and what's allowed - I would love to see a Opera or Firefox borwser too and I thought MS got sued years back for limiting options of browsers on the desktop OS). The question is how open MS will be to allow competing apps, especially if they want to sell hardware.

Back in my Linux days I had a script which unpacks MKV like it would zip file and repacks into MP4. The whole process takes 1 minute. But as you said MKV support needs to come to RT and MS is aware of the fact that sale of their Surface tablets depends on third party apps.

So I don't think they'll have an issue with VLC or Opera or anything else. More apps equals more profit.

twisticles

Sep 7, 2008

Agree its not very good, I hope they release an RT version of Outlook.

But you CAN multiselect, kind of swipe an email to the right a bit and a tick pops up in the corner, and then do the same for other.

At the moment, Hotmail/Outlook.com is better than the RT mail app...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IE 10 for metro is complete trash. Can't even load XDA so I find myself always forced to use the desktop version.

I had the same problem with this page until somebody here pointed me to this trick:

http://ultramobilepc-tips.blogspot.com/2012/11/speed-up-ie10-in-your-surface-rt.html
    I bit the bullet and bought this before next semester due to the hardware perks along with the natural productivity you'd expect from Windows.

Basically, I saw it as a laptop replacement for a student and thus far, it has upheld those expectations.

If you're in the market for a laptop, consider the Pros I needed to consider...

1) Less breakability. No more soldering adapter connections back onto motherboards with the magnetic charger. No more broken laptop screens due to minute abrasions. Very important if you're a commuter.

2) Compact, slim, solid, and very portable. The stand is nothing short of amazing and will sync pretty nicely with a carry-along desktop and sleeve I have for it. Again being someone that's always out and about, these features will keep it from being broken.

3) The keyboard covers. I opted for the type cover and the dexterity is better than the last 3 laptops I've owned. I'd have no problem typing or editing long documents on this thing. As much as I like my touchpads, my Nexus 7, and the Note, I cant claim I've enjoyed doing such on any of them.

4.) Not only do you get Word, but you get the full MS Paint (which would've been a deal-breaker for me), a full IE with the complete desktop and file explorer system you're of course used to with windows. I don't agree with the way they blocked other browsers out of competing with them, but it was a smart move for them nonetheless.

Yeah, you have to get used to not installing all of those apps you're used to having, but you have to see where Microsoft's going with it the blockage, as you're blocking out millions of potential viruses and problems as well.

5) Remote Desktop. This should show to be a great feature to use programs like Adobe Acrobat you're used to on a desktop somewhere until something similar finally makes it into the Metro App store. For me, not having Acrobat will be the biggest drawback.

6) Battery. Doing my usual basic browsing, I hit the 70% charge remaining mark after 4 hours of continual usage, which would translate to a little under 13.5 hrs of usage. Yes, I'm sure it's not perfectly calibrated, but I no longer have to worry about being tied down to a plug and an outlet when I go out and need to be productive for a full day's worth of work.

Everything else looks great on the Metro side and when I have downtime, I'm sure I'll get used to all the swiping and apps and the like.

Those that are hoping this product fails are caught in a conundrum. This isint WebOS. The very fact that this device's features are worth it even with a subpar app store lends reason to believe that it will be impossible for it to fail in the longrun.
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I have already decided that I do not want the PRO, because I am not in the market for a laptop which can function as a tablet, rather a tablet which can perform a few PC related tasks (mainly office). I have a fairly new DELL XPS15 and I am happy with it.

I finally went to Best Buy and played with the surface for a few minutes, as well as a few other tabs. My local Best Buy had the tablet right when you enter the door so nobody would miss it, but surprisingly, I missed it and had to ask a worker where it was. A BANNER WOULD HELP LOL!. Anyhow, I think Samsung has a nice windows 8 pad and so does ASUS. I played with the ASUS Infinity as well, and it's cool and all, but I'm not sure I want it. I had an HTC Flyer tablet for a week before I returned it (over a year ago). It didn't strike me as anything new and exciting, and I could do a lot more with my android phone due to the 3G/4G connection. I think I finally figured out that what I want is something new and exciting, not the same old android device. Which is why, right now, I am leaning toward the RT because it's something new. With an android tablet, I will basically get a bigger Samsung Galaxy S3, which I already have. Sure there's a learning curve, but I feel like I'm tech savvy enough. It bothered me that I will not be able to sync calendar appointments and stuff on my phone with the tablet, but I think as soon as some Google apps are released, I will be fine...it's not a big deal anyways because I keep my phone on me everywhere..even when I am at home. I am also excited about the future of the product..and hoping the development scene will take off...
    So anyhow, I remember saying that the screen resolution worried me. After playing around with it, I think the resolution is actually perfect for what it is. The tablet is pretty small when actually looking at it versus looking at images of it. It runs pretty smooth, despite numerous reviews I read online, and i believe that future updates will only make it smoother. I looked around the windows market place and it looks pretty dead..but I am sure this will improve..I have all these apps on my phone I never use..All I really need are the bare bones for now because I will be mainly using it in class and for web surfing, email, etc.. I really am used to Google apps and I am hoping they will be released for the RT in the future (near future). I got to play around with the Type keyboard, and I really really like it. I think if/when i get the RT i will buy the Type keyboard versus the touch.
    I am curious if there is a stylus which will be released, or has been already released, so we can take minor notes. I also want to be able to use Google Maps app vs the Bing Maps. Hopefully Microsoft will allow these because I read an article where MS is saying that it will not allow Firefox on the RT - I thought they already got sued for this back in the Netscape days. I think I will go grab this within the next few days, so I can play with it at home. I am sure there's a 14 day return policy in place so if I do change my mind I will be able to return it. Oh, and another thing...some people say that the desktop view doesn't really "fit" in the tablet...I don't think that way. I think of it as a file manager that we are all familiar with...and I am sure it will prove useful in modding or hacking the tablet in the future :)

What programming languages can we use to develop apps for RT?

Are you guys using screen protectors with the tablet? I am very paranoid about scratching the screen on all my devices, so i generally buy screen protectors the first day.

One more question for you smart people. What's to say that this tablet will not end up like the HP WebOS tablets?

I know Bluettoth also kills battery on phones and on the surface it is on by default. We need one of those battery monitoring apps, especially since the Start screen doesn't report battery details - I did find the "Windows Mobility Center" in the backend/desktop, and created a link on the start screen - it provides batter percentage among other shortcuts - pretty cool.

what I do love about the Surface is all the little things that can be tweaked on the descktop - By far more customizable than any other tablet out there.
    I've been using the Surface for slightly over a week. I can't tell you how awesome it is, really! If you're interested in an extremely capable tablet with full desktop grade microsoft office for any office related work, it can't really get better than this.

The Surface RT is extremely fast and slick and gets all your work done, with no fuss or muss!

Refreshingly new UI, and very very responsive! Here are a few things I immediately fell in love with the Surface RT -
    1. Desktop mode -
    Familiar Windows 7 style world! I could immediately hit \\networklocation and access my corporate world of computers! Immediately logged in and all the shared directories were easy to access - just like how I'd do on an actual Windows 7 system! The beauty lies in the fact that you don't realize that you're running on an ARM processor for a really long time. Notepad, paint, folder navigation, MS office, Internet Explorer - works awesome - make you feel like you're running on a real desktop!

2. Browsing experience -
    Second to none, seriously! Full flash enabled websites, multiple tabs - super slick scrolling & zooming - no tablet or even most desktops honestly, even come close!

3. MS Office -
    No compromise desktop equivalent Office suite on the tab! Rocks!

4. Input methods -
    Handwriting recognition really freakin rocks! Works so flawlessly that I would never use a virtual keyboard again! While I'm scribing out my website URl, it already pops up an autocomplete in the URL field of IE - simply superb! You also have split keyboards with multiple sizes, full keyboard etc. all built in!

5. Win8 apps -
    Beautifully designed, work brilliantly! A great new way of consuming content, cant get better really!

6. USB port!
    Full size USB port makes a world of difference! Connect mice, keyboards, printers, scanners, cameras, usb harddisks - unbelievable cool for a tablet! Goodbye iPad & Android tabs!

7. Touch cover -
    Once you get used to it, its really fast to type on this! Only gripe perhaps, is not having a backlit keyboard. But it really is not such a big deal. You still need to find that optimal position when using it like a laptop while sleeping - takes a little searching and finding that comfort zone - but once there, you'd never go back to using a laptop!

Loving it so far, will post more later!

cheers :)