[TUT] Migrating text messages from WinMo to Android and back

Search This thread

Cheech1976

Jul 28, 2010
Greetings :)

For a few days now i am running an Android build on my HD2. Not exclusively, since i have some apps on my WinMo build that i do not want to abandon (as a matter of fact i don´t want to abandon WinMo as well).

Running both OS works quite well for me, so there is no reason for me to choose just one of both.

Only thing that bothered me (quite a bit actually) was the fact, that i could not have my text messages on both OS. Now there might be those of you, who wouldn´t deem this as very important, but for me it is, so i tried to work this out and am happy to have found a way, which I would like to share with you.

I admit, that it may be a somewhat lengthy and tedious procedure, but unless there is no faster way to do this, it´s fine with me and after all, no pain no gain :D

I do want my messages on both OS´ and if that means that once in a while i´ll be occupied in front of my laptop, then so be it :)

Reactions: frnt and CharlyAR

Cheech1976

Jul 28, 2010
Migrating messages from WinMo to Android

Migrating text messages from WinMo to Android is quite easy, i´ll include this, so both directions are stated in this post.

Install the cab from this link http://www.sorobangeeks.com/software/sms-exporter-05-free-download

Unfortunately i do not know the creator of this cab, it was something i found in my many searchs. This one was very useful for me, if ever the originator of this little program should stumble across my thread, THANK YOU :)

Run it and let it export your text message (creates an xml-file in a folder which is mentioned after exporting the text messages).

Now you have to load the created xml-file with an xml-editor and edit the lines as follows.

Original line in xml-file:

<sms protocol="0" address=""SENDERS NAME" <SENDERS NUMBER>" date="1281196885000" type="1" body="TEXT MESSAGE" status="-1" read="1" />

Edited line you need in Android: (else the senders name and number are not displayed correctly and will not be added to the specific contact).

<sms protocol="0" address="SENDERS NUMBER" date="1281196885000" type="1" body="TEXT MESSAGE" status="-1" read="1" />

After that, boot up Android and load “SMS Backup + Restore” by Ritesh Sahu from Android Market (it´s for free).

From there you can import the edited xml-file into Android and migration this way is done :)

Last edited:

Cheech1976

Jul 28, 2010
Migrating messages from Android to WinMo

For migrating the messages from Android to WinMo you have to perform the following steps:

Load the app “SMS Backup” from Michele Valentini from the Android Market (free, as well) and export the messages in Android.

Again you have to open the created xml-file with an xml-editor and edit the lines.
One text message in this file looks like this:

<sms _id="55" thread_id="9" toa="0" address="SENDERS NUMBER" person="135" date="1287921897000" protocol="0" read="1" status="-1" type="1" reply_path_present="" subject="" body="TEXT MESSAGE" sc_toa="0" report_date="" service_center="" locked="0" index_on_sim="-1" callback_number="" priority="0" htc_category="0" cs_timestamp="-1" cs_id="" cs_synced="0" error_code="0" seen="0" human_readable_date="DATE AND TIME" name="SENDERS NAME"/>

Now open the XML template I have enclosed to this post and copy /paste the data of those text messages you want to have in WinMo as well.
- SENDERS NUMBER (with “+” and country code)
- TEXT MESSAGE (who´d have thought :D)
- DATE AND TIME
- SENDERS NAME

<message date="DATE AND TIME" sender=""SENDERS NAME" <+SENDERS NUMBER>" recipient="">TEXT MESSAGE</message>

I was using a WWE Rom, so the format of the date might be dependent from the ROM you are using. I suppose if, for example, you are using a german ROM you will have to enter the date in the german format (dd.mm.yyyy instead of mm/dd/yyyy).

Keep a look out for the date, the content of the xml file has to be correct, else it will not be imported (which doesn´t do any harm anyways, so…)
I had to change the format, since Android was running in german and WinMo in WWE English.

You can repeat this for all the received and sent messages, and you can add only those messages you want to import to WinMo, regardless whether there are more messages already saved in WinMo or not. The tool (also enclosed) will import the data in the xml-file and leave all other messages, which already are in WinMo alone. You do not have to “import” all your messages, just the ones you are missing in WinMo).
By the way, the attached tool is an .exe file which just has to be copied to the phone and then can be executed directly, installation is not necessary.

After the messages are imported, go to the messages tab and open “all messages” once. I am using pyrorob´s HTC messaging client, the first thing it did was close right away, just open it again and you will see that while closing itself it imported the new text messages into a (maybe already existing) conversation.

Last edited:

Cheech1976

Jul 28, 2010
I tried this several times with my HD2 (you can see the OS´ I am using in my signature) and it worked just fine
I would however strongly recommend to backup your messages prior to trying this out. I did several runs with this until at last I got it working and did not loose any data whatsoever, but I won´t take responsibility for any data losses you might encounter.
You shouldn´t, there is no reason, but as always take care, mind your steps, take all the necessary preparations, you never know :)

I hope this is helpful for at least a few of you, since I have been a member of this forum, I was able to benefit from the talents, the experience and the know how of so many members, maybe I can give a little something back.

Happy new year everyone :)

Reactions: Mithrandir007

jcsy

Jan 9, 2009
Land of the Z1/EVO3D/GTAB10.1(2)
useful for me and knowing that there is a solution to my problem migrating out of Windows Mobile 6.5 to Android for my SMS's are about 21,000 now :D

if this can migrate 21,000 SMS's , im sure anyone out there would be covered :)

Cheech1976

Jul 28, 2010
useful for me and knowing that there is a solution to my problem migrating out of Windows Mobile 6.5 to Android for my SMS's are about 21,000 now :D

if this can migrate 21,000 SMS's , im sure anyone out there would be covered :)

21.000 messages? Really? Can´t quite imagine running WinMo and Android for so long that the messages received on android would reach that high a number.

Now that kinda work i would call diligent :D

EDIT: Ah, you are talking about migrating from WinMo to Android, that of course is different, sorry i misread that.
I´d try deleting the contacts, so the exported xml file out of WinMo doesn´t contain the sender´s name at all, so you won´t have to edit them out of the xml file. Give it a try :)

Mithrandir007

Aug 25, 2007
Rixensart, Belgium
Migrating text messages from WinMo to Android is quite easy, i´ll include this, so both directions are stated in this post.

Install the cab from this link http://stop3dataroaming.googlecode.c...erSetup0.5.CAB

Unfortunately i do not know the creator of this cab, it was something i found in my many searchs. This one was very useful for me, if ever the originator of this little program should stumble across my thread, THANK YOU :)

Run it and let it export your text message (creates an xml-file in a folder which is mentioned after exporting the text messages).

Now you have to load the created xml-file with an xml-editor and edit the lines as follows.

<sms protocol="0" address=""SENDERS NAME" <SENDERS NUMBER>" date="1281196885000" type="1" body="TEXT MESSAGE" status="-1" read="1" />

Edited line you need in Android: (else the senders name and number are not displayed correctly and will not be added to the specific contact).

<sms protocol="0" address="SENDERS NUMBER" date="1281196885000" type="1" body="TEXT MESSAGE" status="-1" read="1" />

After that, boot up Android and load “SMS Backup + Restore” by Ritesh Sahu from Android Market (it´s for free).

From there you can import the edited xml-file into Android and migration this way is done :)

Thanks for the tutorial, but it seems your link is not correct (there's a ... in the link as well, not only in the text).

Since you didn't mention the name of the app, I don't really know what to search for either.

Could you please post the link again (or the name of the app)?

Thanks!

Cheech1976

Jul 28, 2010
I´ll edit the link in my previuos post, the link was working, but now it seems to have died.

Before exporting your messages from WinMo delete all your contacts (you can backup and restore them with PIM backup or ActiveSync), this way you won´t have to edit the xml-file at all.

The exporter is from Ritesh Sahu and is called SMS Exporter 0.5 (if ever the link should die again), the same dev as the Android App needed to import the messages to Android.

Thank you Ritesh :)

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2008
Ponce
Thanks for the info... not difficult to do, and the result is great.
I was able to transfer all my messages from WM to Android without any problem.

Cheech1976

Jul 28, 2010
Thanks for the info... not difficult to do, and the result is great.
I was able to transfer all my messages from WM to Android without any problem.

I´m glad this was useful to you :) Since i have switched to a NAND build i don´t need the migration from android to WinMo anymore, and i find the migration from WinMo to Android very easy as well :D

Did you have any draft smses without recipients, which you managed to transfer over to droid? :)

I never came around to trying this, but if my memory serves me well, there should be a line in the appropriate xml file "<folder name="Drafts">".

However i suppose this is the folder with those sms which are waiting to be sent and will be pushed to the "sent" folder after transmission, so this would not be the solution you are looking for.

CharlyAR

May 23, 2009
Buenos Aires
I was just planning on to migrate from WinMo to Android, and the SMS where one of the things that I didn't want to loose.

I will migrate about 3000 and let you know how it works.

Thanks!

coolfire

Aug 20, 2004
Singapore
Huawei Mate 30 Pro
I never came around to trying this, but if my memory serves me well, there should be a line in the appropriate xml file "<folder name="Drafts">".

However i suppose this is the folder with those sms which are waiting to be sent and will be pushed to the "sent" folder after transmission, so this would not be the solution you are looking for.
Thanks mate. I believe that's true, however, I also believe that in Droid, the Draft folders are hidden. I have a few smses which I keep under the Draft folder.

Will try your method again, because the last time round, I couldn't get the winmo backup app u posted I'm the OP to run. Was using Sprite Migrate till the beta ended. :p

Sent from my RafDroidHD using XDA App

coolfire

Aug 20, 2004
Singapore
Huawei Mate 30 Pro
Weird... Upon running SMS Exporter, I keep getting this error message: "Error Exporting Messages: The process cannot access the file '\Program Files\Sms Exporter\SMS.xml' because it is being used by another process." Trouble is, I did not start any other app. Even tried to run it immediately after rebooting, to no avail. :confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Migrating messages from WinMo to Android

Install the cab from this link http://www.sorobangeeks.com/software/sms-exporter-05-free-download

Greetings :)

For a few days now i am running an Android build on my HD2. Not exclusively, since i have some apps on my WinMo build that i do not want to abandon (as a matter of fact i don´t want to abandon WinMo as well).

Running both OS works quite well for me, so there is no reason for me to choose just one of both.

Only thing that bothered me (quite a bit actually) was the fact, that i could not have my text messages on both OS. Now there might be those of you, who wouldn´t deem this as very important, but for me it is, so i tried to work this out and am happy to have found a way, which I would like to share with you.

I admit, that it may be a somewhat lengthy and tedious procedure, but unless there is no faster way to do this, it´s fine with me and after all, no pain no gain :D

I do want my messages on both OS´ and if that means that once in a while i´ll be occupied in front of my laptop, then so be it :)
    I tried this several times with my HD2 (you can see the OS´ I am using in my signature) and it worked just fine
    I would however strongly recommend to backup your messages prior to trying this out. I did several runs with this until at last I got it working and did not loose any data whatsoever, but I won´t take responsibility for any data losses you might encounter.
    You shouldn´t, there is no reason, but as always take care, mind your steps, take all the necessary preparations, you never know :)

I hope this is helpful for at least a few of you, since I have been a member of this forum, I was able to benefit from the talents, the experience and the know how of so many members, maybe I can give a little something back.

Happy new year everyone :)
    Change the date on your computer.
    It will do the trick.
    Hi, first: big thanks for the tut!

I have a question: I made the xml file from my Windows mobile phone and imported in the Android. But... The format is bad, because it handles the 2 sms-es separately: I can see my sent sms to that person separately which I got from that person.

Like:
    1, "Hello, how are you?"
    3, "Good to hear, me too."

and the other:
    2, "Hi, thanks ok. And you"
    4, "Nice to hear"

I read somewhere that I should modify tha XML file, but I couldn't managed to. The editor said it cannot find that line. What should i do is to:

"Original line in xml-file:

<sms protocol=”0″ address=”"SENDERS NAME” ” date=”1281196885000″ type=”1″ body=”TEXT MESSAGE” status=”-1″ read=”1″ />

Edited line that is needed in Android, so the senders name and numbers are displayed correctly:

<sms protocol=”0″ address=”SENDERS NUMBER” date=”1281196885000″ type=”1″ body=”TEXT MESSAGE” status=”-1″ read=”1″ />"

But that simply doesnt word. Can you please tell me a program, where do you edit the files? Thanks!

If you are using SMS Backup & Restore, then try approaching the problem from the other end: export SMSes, and check in the exported file how names and numbers are treated in the threaded conversation. Had the same problem, alas don't remember specifics, maybe it was removing all names from your xml, leaving only phone numbers, or keeping names only on one side of the conversation?

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App