[Q] 1.6 firmware build no 3883 - System updates not working?

Search This thread

K-inkz

Jan 16, 2014
Brighton
Hello to ANYONE who can help me....

I bought a Dell Streak 5 and Im slowly going insane. I've tried system updates, manually downloading a file here and there, trying to upgrade the operating system in any which way I can. But its not working.

I'm sorry but im your worst nightmare - Someone with very basic skills...Im ok with pc's but mobile phone operating systems are another story!

Ok heres what I have in the 'About device' section:

Firmware version: 1.6
Baseband version: GAUSB1A110421-EU
Kernal version: 2.6.29-perf
OEM version: GAUSB1A110421
Build no: 3883

Im in the UK, its locked to 02.

What do I do?

Here's my silly questions:

DO I need the SD card in the phone for the software update?
I've notices DJ Steve done something that has no files anywhere with the links still on the info on websites?
When I click to system update on the phone, it goes to DELL and i go through the clicking, to then get a '404 - file or directory not found' ?

Any help would be appreciated x

K-inkz x
Is there a one-stop-shop that can do it all for me (less headaches & stress)

Reactions: IA-32e

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
To answer your last question first, no.

DJ Steve's info is dead and buried, along with Dell's OTA system for the Streak. The current custom ROMs are in the Development forum.

In general, you want to upgrade you need to start reading the info given in the wiki and in various posts on these forums. I can tell you that this thread gives general comments on the hoops you have to go through to upgrade from 1.6 to 2.3.3.

Last edited:
Reactions: K-inkz and IA-32e

rsfinsrq

By his own admission he isn't tech savvy so that could cause more problems for him than it solves. Having never used the QDL Tool myself, you would know more than I in that regard as to what's involved.

Understood. Just to put this out there, I do have the QDL tool and tutorials in both word document and shock-wave player that walks you through the process. Just let me know and I can provide a link via PM to the files.

Reactions: K-inkz and IA-32e

IA-32e

Oct 6, 2011
Portland, OR
Thanks guys, this is very helpful. I'm also trying to update my Streak 5 (unlocked) running 1.6 but after I download the 2.2 software update from Dell and reboot/install it just hangs at the Dell logo screen. I also tried flashing a custom recovery via fastboot. It says write successful but when I try to boot into the recovery I just get a blank screen. I've tried CWM, TeamWin and StreakMod all with the same result. I was thinking there was an issue with installing those on 1.6 so figured I'd update the firmware first. Looks like I need to do some more research.

Thanks

Reactions: K-inkz and rsfinsrq

K-inkz

Jan 16, 2014
Brighton
Thanks for info!

To answer your last question first, no.

DJ Steve's info is dead and buried, along with Dell's OTA system for the Streak. The current custom ROMs are in the Development forum.

In general, you want to upgrade you need to start reading the info given in the wiki and in various posts on these forums. I can tell you that this thread gives general comments on the hoops you have to go through to upgrade from 1.6 to 2.3.3.

Thanks mister, I shall go read and try and understand all this flashing, rooting stuff! haha x

IA-32e

Oct 6, 2011
Portland, OR
Here is what I have;

Streak Upgrade Guide.docx

qdltool-tutorial.zip

Thanks mister, I shall go read and try and understand all this flashing, rooting stuff! haha x

No need to root at all before hand. Following the QDLTool and Streak Upgrade guide tutorial's and getting the drivers and everything setup, all I did was run QDLTool to factory reset from Android 1.6 to 2.2. Once I did that it's as easy as flashing a recovery with Fastboot and then throwing a custom ROM on your SD card to flash.

I'm running StreakMod recovery with the Traveler DSC ROM.

Reactions: K-inkz

K-inkz

Jan 16, 2014
Brighton
Thanks all for info x

No need to root at all before hand. Following the QDLTool and Streak Upgrade guide tutorial's and getting the drivers and everything setup, all I did was run QDLTool to factory reset from Android 1.6 to 2.2. Once I did that it's as easy as flashing a recovery with Fastboot and then throwing a custom ROM on your SD card to flash.

I'm running StreakMod recovery with the Traveler DSC ROM.

OK, Thanks for your advice, Im gonna have a go in the morning as I have a headache right now...

Thanks all for the input/advice. I appreciate it.

PS: Someone thought I was a guy hehe, Sorry to correct but im definitely a girl! x

Top Liked Posts