PDA: I9000DXJV9
PHONE: I9000DXJV9
CSC: I9000OLBJV9

Kernel version
2.6.35.7-I9000DXJV9-CL216763
root@SE-S604 #2

Build numer
GINGERBREAD.DXJV9

Bought in Thailand last year and updated via Kies only with the official updates.

I have been searching and reading for over a day (admin check my IP in the webserver logs if you like) to find out how I can root my Samsung Galaxy S i9000 International,
ideally keeeping my settings, launcher, homescreens, SMS, apps ... without having to restore backups ..

I am happy with keeping close to stock.

I backed up apps, sms, callhistory, kies backups just to be safe

Both 3-button combos are working

I came across SuperOneClick but it didn't work, it's not supposed to work on 2.3.3 Gingerbread

Then in severeal threads where ppl specifically asked about DXJV9, the FuguRoot Mod was suggested.

A question remains:

- there is no stock kernel listed for DXJV9 but the instructions say you have to flash with it afterwards, where would I find it

There are some kernel files listed in this guide but none of them for DXJV9.

Also I would be unsure if I need to extract the zImage-root.tar before specifying it in odin, inside is a file called zImage without file extention. Another guide said the .tar needs to be extracted first.

Are there any other ways to achieve this, all I want is root. Any tips appreciated!

Zhousibo

Jan 12, 2010
Singapore
I would use the latest Speedmod kernal to get root. I base this on my experience flashing the Chebon ROM which is a good rom for Asia. Basically, second step in Chebon is to flash speedmod latest version. This will give you root.

MrWil

Aug 2, 2011
update: found the original kernel, bricked phone

I finally found a post with the original kernels by Ramad.

In another video guide I established that I don't have to extract the zImage-root.tar file before adding it to the PDA section of odin.

I followed the exact steps to flash the FuguMod Kernel and it worked fine:

odin3 v1.82

PDA: zImage-root.tar (the FuguRoot MOD)

<ID:0/012> Added!!
<ID:0/012> Odin v.3 engine (ID:12)..
<ID:0/012> File analysis..
<ID:0/012> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/012> Initialzation..
<ID:0/012> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/012> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/012> zImage
<ID:0/012> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/012> RES OK !!
<ID:0/012> Removed!!
<ID:0/012> Completed..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)

Then everything fine, red fish, battery symbol appeas, I enter download mode again, ok

Then extracted the original kernel for my version
Kernel_DXJV9.tar (5600 KB)

closed odin, disconnected phone, opened odin again, connected phone, comms established, so I select the Kernel_DXJV9.tar , but then:

<ID:0/012> Added!!
<ID:0/012> Odin v.3 engine (ID:12)..
<ID:0/012> File analysis..
<ID:0/012> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/012> Initialzation..
<ID:0/012> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/012> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/012> zImage
<ID:0/012> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Phone now can't be turned on. Brick at this stage.

Disappointed because of all the long hours researching for a safe method just to get root ...

Again I would appreciate any help on how to proceed.

I already tried to re-download and re-extract the original kernel, same result, odin fails.

MrWil

Aug 2, 2011
update: worked!!

Update 2:

I kept trying two more times to flash the original kernel file from Ramad, Kernel_DXJV9.tar, with odin,
because I read somewhere that "odin is not the most reliable piece of software".

Eventually it worked, even though I did everything exactly the same way.

So my advice if anyone gets the fail message with odin, keep trying, even another 3, 4, 5 times ...

Redownload the file, reextract, re-open odin, re-connect the phone in download mode, re-flash, if it fails, try again ... odd as it is ...

So now I can see the SuperUser app

I can't see BusyBox, but I am checking on the market now.

MrWil

Aug 2, 2011
update 3: Kies can't detect my phone anymore

update 3: Kies can't detect my phone anymore

Error
Reconnect the device in Samsung Kies (PC Studio)
mode. Current connection mode not supported by Kies

Just like some other people on the thread report, Kies no longer detects my phone, but the files

/system/bin/drexe
and
/system/bin/npsmobex

are there, they aren't missing if I look with Astro File Manager.

So I thought I need a file manager that can modify permissions, and I downloaded a couple of them, they mount /system as rw .. and then I can not not see those two files anymore, it's so strange.

If I open ASTRO I can see those two files but ASTRO can't change permissions.

I have yet to figure out how I can get into a command shell / terminal to modify the permissions with chmod on the command line.

I downloaded the BusyBox App from the market.

Last edited:

MrWil

Aug 2, 2011
update 4: Kies connection problem not solved

update 4: Kies connection problem not solved

I used a root file manager to copy those 2 files from the FuguRoot thread to their location:

/system/bin/drexe
and
/system/bin/npsmobex

The permissions were fine.

I made sure to be on TwLauncher when connecting,
I also disabled USB debug mode

but Kies still keeps trying to connect to my phone, no luck ....

Zhousibo

Jan 12, 2010
Singapore
Since you have backups and the system is unstable I would just go back to stock.

The stock dxjv9 rom is found here:

[Firmwares]Stock I9000 and I9000M Firmwares collection [Latest: XWJVN, DDJV9, XWJVK] - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1102881

The instructions are pretty good and have used it to downgrade to JVQ 2.3.4 to DXJV9 2.3.3 to try out the Chebon Rom as mentioned (JVQ was a bit unstable for me but now JVR).

I've not tried the FuguRoot but I know Speedmod works.

Sorry URL got truncated but search the title. It is in the General section.

MrWil

Aug 2, 2011
I'm happy that I finally have root, but I probably need to go back to stock when I want to sync with Kies again.

If I want to go back to stock, do I only need to flash the PDA part, or everything including Modem, .pit ?

Zhousibo

Jan 12, 2010
Singapore
I had a look at the link and seems like there are some special instructions. I haven't tried connecting this to Kies though so can't comment on that.
---
DXJV9/DXJV9/OLBJV9/Sbl (MultiCSC): Download (158.1 MB) (Build date: Wed May 18 19:32:07 KST 2011)
(MultiCSC: CCM, DGI, GLB, KOR, MIS, MM1, SIN, SMA, STH, THL, UMB, XEV, XME, XSE, XSO, XSP, XTC, XTE, XXV)

Special for DXJV9:
1. Flash with re-partition using 513.pit.
2. You will see a lot of red text after the flash is done, don't panic, just do a 'wipe data/factory reset' and reboot the device when done.
3. Let the device boot all the way then turn it off.
4. Re-enter Download Mode and re-flash only the CSC file without pit and without re-partition.
5. Enjoy

MrWil

Aug 2, 2011
update 5: back to stock

I had a look at the link and seems like there are some special instructions. I haven't tried connecting this to Kies though so can't comment on that.
---
DXJV9/DXJV9/OLBJV9/Sbl (MultiCSC): Download (158.1 MB) (Build date: Wed May 18 19:32:07 KST 2011)
(MultiCSC: CCM, DGI, GLB, KOR, MIS, MM1, SIN, SMA, STH, THL, UMB, XEV, XME, XSE, XSO, XSP, XTC, XTE, XXV)

Special for DXJV9:
1. Flash with re-partition using 513.pit.
2. You will see a lot of red text after the flash is done, don't panic, just do a 'wipe data/factory reset' and reboot the device when done.
3. Let the device boot all the way then turn it off.
4. Re-enter Download Mode and re-flash only the CSC file without pit and without re-partition.
5. Enjoy

I have followed these instructions now to go back to stock. All worked well.

I want to try getting root another way, I prefer to have root and still be able to use Kies, I could not get Kies to work with the fuguroot Mod. It was nice to have root though without having to do a complete wipe and data restore.

Next I'll try the suggested method with Speedmod.

MrWil

Aug 2, 2011
Speedmod Kernel and Chebon Rom, the solution for DXJV9

Speedmod Kernel and Chebon Rom are a good solution for having root on DXJV9. It's running well and I can use Kies again.

Thanks to the apps Titanium Backup, "SMS Backup&Restore" and "Backup Call History" flashing everything did not cause much of a headache.

Zhousibo

Jan 12, 2010
Singapore
Good to hear. I always thought upgrading the kernel would prevent you from upgrading through Kies. I don't think it makes a big difference as once you start flashing though, not much incentive to go back. Beware, can be addictive trying new roms ;)

Zhousibo

Jan 12, 2010
Singapore
For me, the simplest option was to install SpeedMod kernel (check the Development forums and do a search for SpeedMod). Also check CF-Root. Follow the instructions and your should be good.

pheareth

Mar 25, 2011
Speedmod Kernel and Chebon Rom are a good solution for having root on DXJV9. It's running well and I can use Kies again.

Thanks to the apps Titanium Backup, "SMS Backup&Restore" and "Backup Call History" flashing everything did not cause much of a headache.

Sorry to bother! How can i find Speedmod Kernel, Chebon Rom and its instruction?
:D

Talon26

Sep 14, 2011
London
So did any of that process delete anything, because i just want to back up everything and then go to Darkyys ROM. And restore primarily contact data with all links intact.

Thanks

Zhousibo

Jan 12, 2010
Singapore
There are options for No-wipe but the cleanest method is usually a wipe.

Most ROM flashes will typically wipe your data which usually means wiping settings and applications (the SD card is usually not wiped). Contacts and stuff synced to Google are typically stored with your Google account (just make sure you have synced).

Titanium Backup is a good option to keep backups but is not free. I think there are others if you search.

Most likely you will have to wipe if going to Darky (but once on Darky's then No-wipe options are very good and you don't lose settings, etc.)