[APP][4.0+][v1.3] Identiconizer! - Identicons For Your Contacts, [XPOSED] Optional

Search This thread

GermainZ

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Aug 3, 2012
hey, there!

i'm really happy to find Identiconizer!, it was just what i needed! :)

now for dirty details: it doesn't work for me. i have a stock rooted HTC One SV with xposed framework installed and working. Identiconizer! seems to work (the icon appears when going trough contacts and adding pictures) but there are no results (all contacts previously without pictures still left without).
I'm not sure I understand correctly. It's working when adding new contacts, but not for the old ones? If so, have you used the "Create Identicons" option? That should create them for contacts without a picture.

i am privacy aware and have all my contacts on phone storage and i deleted any sync services (google, facebook, linkedin...) on my phone. could this be the issue? i can manually change pictures to my contacts.
I don't think this has anything to do with the problem, no.

ps

you said that you don't plan adding Identiconizer! to play store at the moment. would community funding of play store membership change yor mind? i prefer installing apps from play store for security reasons.

thanks!
No. It's simply something I don't wish to do at the moment for various reasons (support, added hassle, XDA > Play Store for feedback, etc,) but thanks. :)

I have one small suggestion, can you put the date on your revision numbers in the first post, so I know if an update is available? ;)

Thanks.
Sure, I'll add that later. The current version is already in the title BTW.

rachelm920

Apr 12, 2011
Hartford, CT
Does this work for non-stock Androids, specifically TouchWiz roms?

Worked with my stock touchwiz S5

8apadute.jpg

Sent from a themed out galaxy S5

Doing this just made me realize.. I really need to clean up my contact list. LOL

Last edited:

toxic-hero

Dec 9, 2009
hовосиби́рск
ejeju6yv.jpg
uqu5e8ut.jpg
y8u5ane6.jpg
I'm not sure I understand correctly. It's working when adding new contacts, but not for the old ones? If so, have you used the "Create Identicons" option? That should create them for contacts without a picture.

no, it doesn't work with any. in my default HTC Sense contact list (it's called "People") i don't see any new icons. but if i look in "contact list" under Identiconizer! app, i see all contacts have (the same) new Identiconizer! icon.

yes, i tried "Create Identicons" many times, i also enabled Identiconizer! xposed module and enabled "Identicons" in menu.

Last edited:

jaydee 77

May 27, 2011
Is there anyway to get the default contact pictures set up similarly to how it looks in Hello SMS? It puts the letter(s) of the contact in a colored bubble. Very similar to how email/gmail do. Would love to have this across the phone's contacts when no picture is available. But not sure how to go about it.

Would it be possible to add an icon set similar to what Hoverchat uses for contacts without pictures?

Want contact pictures with initials? Look for this.

[APP] CS Contact Images 2.0
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2546564

GermainZ

Aug 3, 2012
no, it doesn't work with any. in my default HTC Sense contact list (it's called "People") i don't see any new icons. but if i look in "contact list" under Identiconizer! app, i see all contacts have (the same) new Identiconizer! icon.

yes, i tried "Create Identicons" many times, i also enabled Identiconizer! xposed module and enabled "Identicons" in menu.
That's the default icon (for contacts without a picture.) Could you please upload a logcat?

Want contact pictures with initials? Look for this.

[APP] CS Contact Images 2.0
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2546564
That's already in the OP. :)

Reactions: jaydee 77

webwalk®

Dec 26, 2010
I also would like a black background switch.

Please include version number in filename.

I use 96x96 icons
And there are 5x5 pixels in retro mode
So I changed to 400x400 resolution in hope of getting more pixels and complex images, but nothing changed

Is that possible?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

GermainZ

Aug 3, 2012
Attached is version 1.2-beta. Changes:
  • Insert a row for the contact photo if none was found to be updated (this was in the original ChameleonOS implementation but I removed it for some reason while making changes.)
  • Add preference to choose the background color for create identicons.
  • PNG images are now used instead of JPEG images. This means you can use transparency for the background color if you want to. On the other hand, it might result in larger contact photos.
  • Other minor changes.
Note: if a generated identicon is larger than ~1024K, Identiconizer! will fail to set the contact photo. This is visible in the logcat but I hope to make it more obvious, possibly using a notification. AFAIK, there is nothing I can do about this, other than compressing/downsizing till the size is <1024. While this could be done automatically, it'll be slow and resource intensive, which is why it'll be left up to the user to modify the settings to get smaller sizes (by choosing a smaller width/height size, or by picking a different style.)

Other than that, the Xposed module seems not to work on some manufacturers' ROMs, e.g. HTC. You can check this by looking at the Xposed log (Xposed Installer > Log.) If you see an error about "com.germainz.identiconizer" then disable the Xposed module for now. I'll try to look into this issue later.

You can choose whatever color you want in the beta. :)
I use 96x96 icons
So I changed to 400x400 resolution in hope of getting more pixels and complex images, but nothing changed
That's intentional - retro mode is always 5x5 blocks. The quality gets better, though.

Not working on my Samsung Galaxy S4 running TouchWiz and android 4.4 kitkat
Read the OP.

Attachments

• Identiconizer!-1.2-beta.apk
    360.4 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

kemonine96

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 27, 2011
Michigan
Thank you for the beta, created icons for all contacts lacking a photo this time around. Tested on Moto X running 4.4.2 with the Xposed module active.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Reactions: GermainZ

GermainZ

Aug 3, 2012
Do you have plans to put this on the Play store? I like it, nice app, but I don't see why it isn't there yet?
Not really, at least not right now for a few reasons: extra support, extra hassle, and I prefer an actual forum for feedback and suggestions.

Zheen

Apr 27, 2014
As Sulaymaniyah
I am still confused

• Insert a row for the contact photo if none was found to be updated (this was in the original ChameleonOS implementation but I removed it for some reason while making changes.)
  • PNG images are now used instead of JPEG images. This means you can use transparency for the background color if you want to. On the other hand, it might result in larger contact photos.
  • Other minor changes.
Note: if a generated identicon is larger than ~1024K, Identiconizer! will fail to set the contact photo. This is visible in the logcat but I hope to make it more obvious, possibly using a notification. AFAIK, there is nothing I can do about this, other than compressing/downsizing till the size is <1024. While this could be done automatically, it'll be slow and resource intensive, which is why it'll be left up to the user to modify the settings to get smaller sizes (by choosing a smaller width/height size, or by picking a different style.)

Other than that, the Xposed module seems not to work on some manufacturers' ROMs, e.g. HTC. You can check this by looking at the Xposed log (Xposed Installer > Log.) If you see an error about "com.germainz.identiconizer" then disable the Xposed module for now. I'll try to look into this issue later.

That's intentional - retro mode is always 5x5 blocks. The quality gets better, though.

Read the OP.

I have read the OP and I still don't know what you mean. Do you mean that it only works on devices running 4.3 Jelly Bean?

GermainZ

Aug 3, 2012
I have read the OP and I still don't know what you mean. Do you mean that it only works on devices running 4.3 Jelly Bean?
I don't know how to explain it in a clearer way, please read the OP again. More specifically, the last question of the FAQ.

Zheen

Apr 27, 2014
As Sulaymaniyah
Now it works

I don't know how to explain it in a clearer way, please read the OP again. More specifically, the last question of the FAQ.

Aha now I understand. You want details and logcat. Well, luckily I tried the module a few times and rebooted the phone, now it is working very well. I especially like the option to increase the resolution and background color. Thanks!

Reactions: GermainZ

GermainZ

Aug 3, 2012
Another beta: View attachment Identiconizer!-1.2-beta2.apk. :)

New additions are in bold. Changelog:
  • If any error occurs during the creation of new identicons, show a notification to let the user know. Tapping the notification will show a detailed list of errors along with some useful info.
  • If the Xposed module fails to hook the appropriate method, show a notification to warn the user.
  • Other minor changes. And some more.

Aha now I understand. You want details and logcat. Well, luckily I tried the module a few times and rebooted the phone, now it is working very well. I especially like the option to increase the resolution and background color. Thanks!
Yes - "doesn't work" doesn't tell me what doesn't work and gives me no way to fix it.

karanrajpal14

Feb 4, 2011
Bangalore
Hey, been using this and I must say this is a nice concept. Thank you for your work! I do have a request though. If you can find the time, can you make a gmail identicon style? Like how gmail shows a colored square with the first letter of the contact? That'd be really cool and it'd look more Google-ish. Hope you understand. Thank you!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    About:
    This is a port of ChameleonOS' contact identicons feature (available in the JellyBean versions) with some additional features and fixes.
    When enabled, new contacts will be assigned a unique identicon instead of the default picture.

Features:
    • Use identicons for newly created contacts. A service is normally used to detect new contacts. If you use the Xposed Framework, you can enable Identiconizer! as a module instead to integrate the application into the system.
    • Choose from five different identicon styles: Retro, Contemporary, Spirograph, Dot Matrix and Gmail.
    • Specify the identicon sizes, from 96x96 up to 720x720 (256x256 max on ICS.)
    • Choose a custom background color for the created identicons.
    • Create identicons for all contacts without a photo in one go.
    • Remove identicons from all contacts that have one set.
    • Contacts list to add/remove Identicon to/from wanted contacts only.

Screenshots:
    Screen1.pngScreen2.pngScreen3.png

Source code:
    https://github.com/GermainZ/Identiconizer

Download:

FAQ:
    • Q: Will this work on XYZ?
      A: It should. Try It And See™ - if there are any issues, please report them.
    • Q: Is this on the Play Store/Xposed repo/…?
      A: No. Uploading to the Xposed repo makes no sense since this isn't primarily an Xposed module. I'm not interested in uploading to the Play Store right now as I see no benefit (added support, more unhelpful users, I prefer a forum for discussions, etc). You can subscribe to this thread for updates, the title will be updated to reflect the current version. :)
    • Q: Can we have random cartoons/different icons set?
      A: Cartoons and icon sets will not be implemented. You're welcome to offer suggestions that can be implemented without needing image files (so basically, anything with simple geometrical shapes and/or text.)
    • Q: I found a problem. How can I report it?
      A: Explain what your problem is - what have you done? What is the expected result? What do you get instead? In other words: include a detailed description of the problem and instructions on how to reproduce it. Also mention what Android ROM/version you're running, and include a logcat if possible (this is necessary if I can't personally reproduce the issue.)

• The ChameleonOS Open Source Project and 0xD34D for code and resources used in this application.
    • rovo89 and Tungstwenty for the Xposed Framework.
    • TiiXel for his contributions
    Very well, since a bunch of people apparently want it… added a Gmail style. ;) Also updated the OP about requests.

1.2 is out. Changelog:
    • New identicon style: Gmail. The implementation is pretty much the same as Gmail's, with some very minor changes (Gmail uses the email to determine the background color, Identizoner! uses the name of the contact.)
    • Add preference to choose the background color for created identicons.
    • If any error occurs during the creation of new identicons, show a notification to let the user know. Tapping the notification will show a detailed list of errors along with some useful info.
    • If the Xposed module fails to hook the appropriate method, show a notification to warn the user.
    • Other minor changes.

Mentioning everyone who asked about the Gmail style in the past and was refused: @Godswrath, @jaydee 77, @karanrajpal14, @Kaleknuppel.
    Also, @rebecker, I've added the dates for all builds.
    1.3 uploaded to the OP.
    Also, you can now get Identiconizer from F-Droid (built directly from source, different package signatures).
    • Other minor changes.

I use 96x96 icons

Not working on my Samsung Galaxy S4 running TouchWiz and android 4.4 kitkat
    Read the OP.
    Please test the following version and let me know if everything works as intended.

Changelog:
    • The app now targets / works on the latest Android version.
    • Merged contributions by @TiiXel:
      • Add colors to match Google Messenger theme
      • Add serif font support in options
      • Add option for more than one letter in Gmail Style

@lemora