DIY Smart Cover TF700

Search This thread

ImYoungxD

Jul 29, 2012
I don't understand ... All I can think of the glass breaking when you apply pressure to the case.

tobnddl

Jul 13, 2008
Atlanta
Does this work only with the JB ROM, or will it work with stock. With the right magnet (or strip), this could be just what a lot of folks are looking for.

ailai55

Jul 28, 2009
Does this work only with the JB ROM, or will it work with stock. With the right magnet (or strip), this could be just what a lot of folks are looking for.

I did not test it with stock rom.
May be someone can have a try.
Only problem right now is I need a smaller or thinner magnet. The one in the video is still toomagnetic. When I fold the cover back it can still wake and sleep my tablet.

tobnddl

Jul 13, 2008
Atlanta
Only problem right now is I need a smaller or thinner magnet. The one in the video is still toomagnetic. When I fold the cover back it can still wake and sleep my tablet.

Well, I tried with stock just now, and got nothing. Either my magnets (I tried several from the fridge, including one neodium) weren't strong enough, or there is a setting in the JB ROM (build.prop or the kernel perhaps?) that allows this. I am hoping that this is hackable, but am waiting until JB to root/unlock. Really would like this feature though.

Reactions: ailai55

jhollender

Oct 21, 2010
Where does the magnet need to touch? I tried this on stock with a magnet and I can't get it to do anything.

ailai55

Jul 28, 2009
According to others test, it doesn't work with stock rom
I am using Jb unofficial

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Immorten

Jan 19, 2010
Oslo
Ah, sweet! :D I've got to modify my own case too now! I believe I've found the perfect sized magnet for this purpose.
I first started off disassembling some broken earbuds, but the magnet was too weak. Then i recalled having a spare-part-laptop lying around, so I tore out the built in speakers and made my way to the magnets. And look at that!
img20120918085140.jpg

Last edited:

pileot

Oct 16, 2010
in the stock rom the magnetic sensor is disabled unless the dock is connected. Its a stupid setup that Asus did and was changed in the custom rom.

Hopefully this clears some problems for people.

ailai55

Jul 28, 2009
Ah, sweet! :D I've got to modify my own case too now! I believe I've found the perfect sized magnet for this purpose.
I first started off disassembling some broken earbuds, but the magnet was too weak. Then i recalled having a spare-part-laptop lying around, so I tore out the built in speakers and made my way to the magnets. And look at that!
img20120918085140.jpg

It seems like your magnet is bigger than mine.
Is it too strong ? Like mine, when I fold the cover back the magnet still has effect on the tablet.

Immorten

Jan 19, 2010
Oslo
Now, I've popped open an old Nokia and SE to test the magnets in the speakers. I've also ripped apart another headset, and all of the magnets will lock the pad from behind. I am attaching an image of the 1st magnet I tried compared to two smaller that are still too strong..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1347974175597.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347974175597.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:

mateusmaximus

Dec 15, 2012
Okay so the magnet thing had been figured out, is there a way to patch the stock rom or fool it somehow to enable the magnet feature?

berfles

Sep 4, 2011
So if it's disabled in stock ROM, can't it be enabled in third party ROMs? I haven't seen anything about it in any of the ROM discussions on here.

mateusmaximus

Dec 15, 2012
Its not that its disabled in stock rom, its disabled when theres no keyboard. it becomes enabled when the keyboard is connected. So I would think it could be enabled simply by modding the stock rom. Im no programmer but i doubt it would be difficult, just a matter of finding where the code is..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Finally solved this problem and can uninstall Awesome on/off.
    UPDATE : for right now it does not work with stock ROM.

Tablet :tf700
    ROM: Unofficial JB4.11

http://youtu.be/_BUQ8xFcoGI

Well, I tried with stock just now, and got nothing. Either my magnets (I tried several from the fridge, including one neodium) weren't strong enough, or there is a setting in the JB ROM (build.prop or the kernel perhaps?) that allows this. I am hoping that this is hackable, but am waiting until JB to root/unlock. Really would like this feature though.
    img20120918085140.jpg
    in the stock rom the magnetic sensor is disabled unless the dock is connected. Its a stupid setup that Asus did and was changed in the custom rom.

Hopefully this clears some problems for people.