[GUIDE] Nexus 5 apps safe to remove

Search This thread

pWEN

Aug 12, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi there!

I've put together a spreadsheet of apps that are (or so far seem) safe to remove from the Nexus 5. Note that I am running 4.4 KitKat, which has been unlocked with TWRP and rooted. The spreadsheet comes from the combined efforts of hallstevenson's spreadsheet on the Galaxy S3 for Spring (which I adapted and updated for the Verizon version), and referencing MoJo's script for removing Nexus 5 bloatware. I used Titanium Backup to go through and type in the packages and APK names.

CLICK HERE FOR ACCESS TO THE SPREADSHEET [GOOGLE DOCS]
Click the "5.1" tab.

If you have questions, comments, suggestions, concerns, or want to tell me exactly where I'm wrong about something, please leave a comment here! If such a list already exists, I couldn't find it through searching. And if I'm in the wrong category, I apologize; seeing MoJo's script here led me to think this would be the appropriate place.

**UPDATE FOR LOLLIPOP 5.1**

Here are the apps I've personally removed, if anyone is interested (this list changes with each update):
  • Basic Daydreams
  • Cloud Print
  • Downloads
  • Earth
  • Email
  • Exchange Services
  • Fit
  • Hindi Input
  • Korean Input
  • Google Now Launcher
  • Pinyin Input
  • Books
  • Movies & TV
  • Newsstand
  • Text-to-Speech
  • iWnn IME Japanese input
  • MusicFX
  • News & Weather
  • Nfc Service
  • Slides
  • Sun Beam
  • Tags
  • Talkback
  • Trusted Face (Facelock)
  • Wallet

Last edited:

pWEN

Aug 12, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Updated for Lollipop!

I'm back with an update! You can use the same link above. Note that this time I've added a tab for Android 5.0 Lollipop. (There's also a tab for what I believe is 4.4.4, which I started and didn't finish... Sorry!) Again, I'm on a stock ROM from Google's firmware page, and I used Titanium Backup (v 6.2.0) to go through this list. I had a couple of app updates after flashing the new ROM, so the version numbers might not quite match up. As usual, let me know if there are any issues, or if you've figured out if an app can be removed that I've left blank. If you're going to be adventurous, it's best to freeze an app and test rather than delete it, and make a backup before you delete.

Enjoy!

Here are the apps I've personally removed, if anyone is interested:
  • Basic Daydreams
  • Cloud Print
  • Downloads
  • Earth
  • Email
  • Exchange Services
  • Fit
  • Hindi Input
  • Korean Input
  • Pinyin Input
  • Books
  • Movies & TV
  • Newsstand
  • Text-to-Speech
  • News & Weather - I use Chronus
  • Nfc Service
  • Sun Beam
  • Talkback

tybo31316

Jan 8, 2012
Jacksonville
Can we get rid of Google+ and still be able to have a photo gallery?

I tried freezing it and I couldn't access my photos because I had to enable Google+.

Sent from my Nexus 5

nevrlow

Jul 27, 2011
virginia beach
Last edited:
Reactions: tybo31316

pWEN

Aug 12, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA

I tried freezing it and I couldn't access my photos because I had to enable Google+.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Not sure. I'd think the Photos app would still work, but maybe not. I actually use Google+ on a constant basis so I haven't removed the app.

Blackbox421

May 30, 2013
Duisburg
You deactivated the exchange services, so do you get any emails with auto synchronisation ? Or are the exchange services only for the E-Mail app, which isnt working on L anymore?

IllogicalKris

Dec 14, 2014
Hey, I am a tad bit confused here..

I currently have two Exchange Services.

1) com.google.android.gm.exchange
(ver. 6.5-1520254)

2) com.android.exchange
(ver. 4.4.4-6936)

I'm sure the second one is the one I can delete but was just unsure about the first one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

pWEN

Aug 12, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA

(ver. 6.5-1520254)

2) com.android.exchange
(ver. 4.4.4-6936)

I'm sure the second one is the one I can delete but was just unsure about the first one.

The first one is the one I have marked as safe to delete. I don't know what the second is, maybe something left over from KitKat? Try freezing them with TitaniumBackup and reboot, see if they give you any issues. If they don't, make backups and remove them.

IllogicalKris

Dec 14, 2014
The first one is the one I have marked as safe to delete. I don't know what the second is, maybe something left over from KitKat? Try freezing them with TitaniumBackup and reboot, see if they give you any issues. If they don't, make backups and remove them.
Okay, I didn't think this would have much to do with it but I am using Slimkat 4.4.4, so I didn't think to look in the 5.0 tab. I shall see what happens when I freeze the other EServices.

Thanks for the reply.

Edit: Well, I have backed-up both Exchange Services and removed them both and nothing seems to have changed *Shrugs* Ahh well.

Last edited:

pWEN

Aug 12, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Okay, I didn't think this would have much to do with it but I am using Slimkat 4.4.4, so I didn't think to look in the 5.0 tab. I shall see what happens when I freeze the other EServices.

Thanks for the reply.

Edit: Well, I have backed-up both Exchange Services and removed them both and nothing seems to have changed *Shrugs* Ahh well.

Well, generally speaking, you should be looking in the tab for your current Android version. (Or as close as your custom ROM gets.) The list is based on a fresh install of the ROM, so if your apps have updated since, they'll show different version numbers and possibly different locations, too. Something I didn't think to include in my post, sorry!

IllogicalKris

Dec 14, 2014
Well, generally speaking, you should be looking in the tab for your current Android version. (Or as close as your custom ROM gets.) The list is based on a fresh install of the ROM, so if your apps have updated since, they'll show different version numbers and possibly different locations, too. Something I didn't think to include in my post, sorry!
Well I flashed the ROM last week, so anything could have updated. Anyway, thanks for the help. I just wanted to have an opinion on the random system app first before I went ahead and removed it.

Cheers.

jwhyte

May 29, 2013
Milwaukee

(ver. 6.5-1520254)

2) com.android.exchange
(ver. 4.4.4-6936)

The first works with gmail exchange second is for email app exchange. Should be no issue deleting both. I use 1 and delete 2.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there!

I've put together a spreadsheet of apps that are (or so far seem) safe to remove from the Nexus 5. Note that I am running 4.4 KitKat, which has been unlocked with TWRP and rooted. The spreadsheet comes from the combined efforts of hallstevenson's spreadsheet on the Galaxy S3 for Spring (which I adapted and updated for the Verizon version), and referencing MoJo's script for removing Nexus 5 bloatware. I used Titanium Backup to go through and type in the packages and APK names.

CLICK HERE FOR ACCESS TO THE SPREADSHEET [GOOGLE DOCS]
    Click the "5.1" tab.

If you have questions, comments, suggestions, concerns, or want to tell me exactly where I'm wrong about something, please leave a comment here! If such a list already exists, I couldn't find it through searching. And if I'm in the wrong category, I apologize; seeing MoJo's script here led me to think this would be the appropriate place.

**UPDATE FOR LOLLIPOP 5.1**

Here are the apps I've personally removed, if anyone is interested (this list changes with each update):
    • Basic Daydreams
    • Cloud Print
    • Downloads
    • Earth
    • Email
    • Exchange Services
    • Fit
    • Hindi Input
    • Korean Input
    • Google Now Launcher
    • Pinyin Input
    • Books
    • Movies & TV
    • Newsstand
    • Text-to-Speech
    • MusicFX
    • News & Weather
    • Nfc Service
    • Slides
    • Sun Beam
    • Tags
    • Talkback
    • Wallet

Sent from my Nexus 5

Yes. Stand by. I will upload a flashible zip for you

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0G5X8qmEBxFMXJuZmFKcEdRMjA/edit?usp=docslist_api

Flash in recovery, no wipe is needed. Flash n go.
    You deactivated the exchange services, so do you get any emails with auto synchronisation ? Or are the exchange services only for the E-Mail app, which isnt working on L anymore?

I removed the email exchange services because I do not use them. I strictly use the GMail app. I imagine they still work fine!
    What's unwise is removing apps without researching whether or not you should. There are many lists like this on XDA and in other places that are about removing any apps to clear up space. What can be considered "useless" is the real matter of personal taste. And I do warn people that they should FREEZE the apps first to see if anything breaks, and to MAKE BACKUPS before removing any apps. It's your responsibility and problem if you remove an app that breaks your phone. It's no different than installing a custom ROM or anything like that outside of the "intended use" of the device.

TL;DR - caveat emptor, or whatever "modder beware" would be in Latin
    @jimbobalu

You mean like duplicate installations? I completely wiped my phone following this process, then doing a factory reset in TWRP, and I had plenty of space afterwards as far as I could tell.