[Q]i9506 (S4 Advance) Wiki says No UMTS? UK Impact?

Search This thread

KevWalton

Mar 22, 2010
Hi

The specs here: (sorry not allowed to post links)

en wikipedia org /wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S4

show that the i9506 has no UMTS support, where as the i9505 does.

1) Do we believe those specs to be correct? Going back to the linked reference information in the wiki, and other samsung pages I found it very confusing to work out if it is true?

2) If this is true, will it have any impact for use in the UK or Europe? Is this removing a set of networks the phone could connect to and hence reducing data speeds in certain circumstances?

Thanks very much for your help
Kevin

qtwrk

Sep 9, 2011
Barcelona
By UMTS you mean the 3G?
I had an i9506 before and I exchange it for i9505(becauce of flashing ROMs, you know, very limited options for i9506), for the very few day I have had my hands on i9506, it's same as i9505 on the part of network connection.

I am not sure, as my area is full HSDPA and LTE coverage, so didn't know about UMTS.

But, seriously, except some remote area and deep inside of building,so to underground garage or something , most of populated area should have ,at least, the HSDPA coverage.
Well, that's my case (Barcelona, Spain).

But I think it will do it just fine, even, just for our imagination it doesn't support UMTS which I see the possibility is slim to none, it still got EDGE, by my feeling EDGE is match for UMTS

来自我的 GT-I9505 上的 Tapatalk

KevWalton

Mar 22, 2010
Hi

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I don't know enough, even though I have been reading alot about the different network protocols, to understand what the lack of the word 'UMTS' on the spec sheet really means.

I do find myself in remote areas of the UK at various times and am keen to have the best chance of as good a data connection as possible, hence trying to understand the implications of the lack of UMTS, if it is really a lack in the first place?

Cheers
Kev

By UMTS you mean the 3G?
I had an i9506 before and I exchange it for i9505(becauce of flashing ROMs, you know, very limited options for i9506), for the very few day I have had my hands on i9506, it's same as i9505 on the part of network connection.

I am not sure, as my area is full HSDPA and LTE coverage, so didn't know about UMTS.

But, seriously, except some remote area and deep inside of building,so to underground garage or something , most of populated area should have ,at least, the HSDPA coverage.
Well, that's my case (Barcelona, Spain).

But I think it will do it just fine, even, just for our imagination it doesn't support UMTS which I see the possibility is slim to none, it still got EDGE, by my feeling EDGE is match for UMTS

qtwrk

Sep 9, 2011
Barcelona
Hi

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I don't know enough, even though I have been reading alot about the different network protocols, to understand what the lack of the word 'UMTS' on the spec sheet really means.

I do find myself in remote areas of the UK at various times and am keen to have the best chance of as good a data connection as possible, hence trying to understand the implications of the lack of UMTS, if it is really a lack in the first place?

Cheers
Kev

My guess is missing type error.
Hell, there is no way for any phone, any phone that supports from all the way from 2G up to 4G without supporting UMTS, I don't think so, and as for it's Qualcomm 800 SoC, as we know Qualcomm is doing good job on radio chips, so my best guess is missing type.

Did you try search related information on Samsung official website?

KevWalton

Mar 22, 2010
Hi

I think you're right, I spoke to a mobile networks engineer who confirmed the same thing, if it has 3g with HSPA, it pretty much has to have UMTS.

I have proposed a correction to the wiki.

Thanks very much
Kev