Ubuntu 9.04 port [Updated 27JUN10] New build by Rhobuntu team.

Search This thread

Pandur

Mar 9, 2006
Great Project!
But why do you use this old ubuntu.img file? Your file is dated to 07/12/09 and the latest file in the X1-Thread is dated to 18/01/10. Its an ext2 File and i dont know how to convert to give it a try but I think there must be some progress...

Wil Badger

Jan 18, 2009
Salt Lake
I'll do what I can but I'm not that great with Linux. I love to hate Linux but if it will run on my phone then it's worth a shot to get it running. I wouldn't mind having a fully operating OS to load onto my phone.

JesusFreak316

Aug 19, 2009
Great Project!
But why do you use this old ubuntu.img file? Your file is dated to 07/12/09 and the latest file in the X1-Thread is dated to 18/01/10. Its an ext2 File and i dont know how to convert to give it a try but I think there must be some progress...

The reason is I didn't make this build. phhusson did and shared it with me. I really don't know how to make a new one, lol. This build is based on the same release as the xperia one, I believe, 8.04. The only reason the other one's newer is because he recently fixed the calibration on the xperia build. I would guess they are both based on the omniubuntu project (google it) as they almost look identical. Just a guess though.

P.S. ext2 should work just as well as img. No converting necessary. :D

Pandur

Mar 9, 2006
The reason is I didn't make this build. phhusson did and shared it with me. I really don't know how to make a new one, lol. This build is based on the same release as the xperia one, I believe, 8.04. The only reason the other one's newer is because he recently fixed the calibration on the xperia build. I would guess they are both based on the omniubuntu project (google it) as they almost look identical. Just a guess though.

P.S. ext2 should work just as well as img. No converting necessary. :D
Thanks for your quick response, need to rename this ext2-File to img to boot it, but than it hangs when "running local boot scrips (/etc/rc.local)"
I have no advanced skills in Linux but try to help you where i can!

JesusFreak316

Aug 19, 2009
Are you using the xperia build? That's only better than the build I uploaded if you have that phone. :p The screen is upside down on that one anyways. The calibration on that is only correct for that phone too. Well, if you ARE using that build and still want to you shouldn't even have to rename the ext2 to img. Just leave it as ubuntu.ext2 and you should be fine. The bootloader recognizes both .ext2 and .img file extensions.

If that doesn't work, make sure you have the file structure I posted earlier on the second page, your file is ubuntu.ext2 or ubuntu.img (depending on which build you downloaded, don't change the extension) not ubuntuarm.ext2 or ubuntuarm.img. Finally, depending on your phone, make sure you set your mtype correctly and use a correct zImage. The included startup and zImage may not support your phone.

D

Demon_man

ok so downloaded last night took ages, but had to pop out so didnt get chance to put it on my phone, tried the other upload site it was posted on it downloaded really quick but i couldnt extract using 7zip or anything else, so having to download from the french site again, Great!!!

Wil Badger

Jan 18, 2009
Salt Lake
i change name but still doesn't work (sorry for bad english)

Do you have the proper file structure? Is everything but the .img in the Ubuntu folder? Did you edit the startup.txt's mtype to match what phone you have?

How about more info then it doesn't work. How about what your trying to install it on. I know what forums we are in but that doesn't mean you have one or are trying to install it on one. If you do have a Touch Pro what model. I mean come one give us something to go on.

D

Demon_man

best part of hour and half and the laptop im on when i try to open using 7zip just says error file is broken ggrr, have to wait till i get home FFS :(

JesusFreak316

Aug 19, 2009
@trev666: What site didn't work? The Megaupload and french site should work. I don't know about the mediafire. I uploaded that one myself and am not sure I did it right.

@sahhar1993: It's a known issue. Calibration is way off. In fact, I think I'll make a list of working/non-working items for the first page.

Wil Badger

Jan 18, 2009
Salt Lake
why the mouse dousnt run correctly ?

Please read before asking things like this.......

The calibration is off. This means when you press the screen the mouse will just jump around meaninglessly. If it gets fixed I'm sure it will get updated.

This is just a proof of concept right now. Imagine early Android on the TP. Nothing has been figured out other then it runs.

D

Demon_man

@beblioy open up the text file in the ubuntu folder and edit the mtype to 1805

holy cow that boots quick guys time to play

KoolTurk

Jan 27, 2009
Ленинград
I just installed ubuntu (kovsky) on a partition (extracted the contents of ext2 image) on my sd card. made 3 partition 1:fat32 2:ext3 3: swap(512MB) I used the latest raph/android kernel from glemsom..
I get the command prompt after the OS loads, type startx but I am stuck on a black screen (backlit is on) I am fascinated how fast it actually loads, but how come Android takes almost 4 minutes? :))
is there a way to install Android on an ext2/3 partition on SD card? Will it make boot up process faster?

I used the tutorial on omniubuntu. changed start.txt to fit raph100, this is exciting but, even the OS loads in GUI ( like I was able to just put ubuntu.ext2 or ubuntu.img on the root of the SD card, the problem is it is not usable unless Android-like frameworks are loaded to provide telephony services.. I agree with the comments, let's finish Android first..

Last edited:

JesusFreak316

Aug 19, 2009
I just installed ubuntu (kovsky) on a partition (extracted the contents of ext2 image) on my sd card. made 3 partition 1:fat32 2:ext3 3: swap(512MB) I used the latest raph/android kernel from glemsom..
I get the command prompt after the OS loads, type startx but I am stuck on a black screen (backlit is on) I am fascinated how fast it actually loads, but how come Android takes almost 4 minutes? :))
is there a way to install Android on an ext2/3 partition on SD card? Will it make boot up process faster?

I used the tutorial on omniubuntu. changed start.txt to fit raph100, this is exciting but, even the OS loads in GUI ( like I was able to just put ubuntu.ext2 or ubuntu.img on the root of the SD card, the problem is it is not usable unless Android-like frameworks are loaded to provide telephony services.. I agree with the comments, let's finish Android first..

There is no reason to partition your card. The bootloader will mount the ext2 image as if it were a partition. Assuming you don't have a xperia x1 (kovsky) and you have a raph100, why are you using that build? The only time that build is better than the one I uploaded is if you have an xperia, as calibration should be fixed for that phone. Otherwise, if you have a Diamond, Touch Pro, or Fuze, the x1 build will be upside down and the calibration will still be off. The build I uploaded doesn't require you to type "startx" and is rotated correctly. I don't know about android on a partition, I don't see it making much of a difference though.

When you say telephony service, do you mean Wifi, 3g, or voice? The only currently planned one is Wifi because this is not meant to be a winmo replacement but an alternate boot for when you need a desktop app such as openoffice or a full fledged midi sequencer. I don't see how a finished Android build would help this much. We already have what we need for Wifi and touch screen calibration, we just haven't gotten them working yet. What are you thinking would be helpful? The only important things not working in XDANDROID are gps, camera, and some bluetooth features. I don't know of any ubuntu apps that use gps or camera as most desktops don't have either (except for webcams, maybe it could use that), and bluetooth isn't exactly a dealbreaker.