Ginger yoshi (Android 2.3.5) install guide for T-Mobile G1 (32B version)

Search This thread

jeff72k

Jul 20, 2011
Hi, can anyone tells me the setting for compcache,jit and Vm heap size? I have some speed problems!!

Thanks

See the first post under the "Performance Improvements" section. I added the defaults that I use in that section for comcache, JIT, and VM heap size there.

Compcache RAM Usage: Disabled
Use JIT: Checked
VM heap size: 24m

sUsH667

Jul 1, 2011
extra-ram-radio-hboot/spl-constellation

One question: Why do you suggest to install first *danger* SPL (aka 1.33.2005) if you later on want to install the 1.33.0013d. For the T-Mobile G1 using the 1.33.2003(!) SPL is more safe.
Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my Gingerbread on Dream using XDA App

hi at all!

i have one or two questions concerning spl:

til now i have the new radio+hboot-combination to get the extra-ram, so my spl is 1.33.0013d, which is no full engineering-spl.

when i flash the 1.33.2003 to get full engineering-spl will i still have the extra-ram or will i go back to "normal"?

greetz and thx in advance

sUsH

jeff72k

Jul 20, 2011
hi at all!

i have one or two questions concerning spl:

til now i have the new radio+hboot-combination to get the extra-ram, so my spl is 1.33.0013d, which is no full engineering-spl.

when i flash the 1.33.2003 to get full engineering-spl will i still have the extra-ram or will i go back to "normal"?

greetz and thx in advance

sUsH

So, are you trying to go to Ginger Yoshi and you already have these installed?
recovery-RA-dream-v1.7.0-cyan.img (MD5: 11ae63afee9813a9b76cb3f7fd5ac2ad)
RADIO-2.22.28.25.img (MD5: 8bfccfb9ee3f992137e5171aa892235b)
hboot-1.33.0013d.img (MD5: c35ff1159828a6186cb98a9cfaa81613)

If you already have the above 3 installed, you can start on step 5 of the Guide.

Also, if you later want to upgrade to a new Ginger Yoshi version, you just do step 5 again with the new Ginger Yoshi file version and skip steps 1 to 4. You also do the extra stuff like performance stuff below 5.

chakar.dee

Sep 2, 2010
So, are you trying to go to Ginger Yoshi and you already have these installed?

If you already have the above 3 installed, you can start on step 5 of the Guide.

Also, if you later want to upgrade to a new Ginger Yoshi version, you just do step 5 again with the new Ginger Yoshi file version and skip steps 1 to 4. You also do the extra stuff like performance stuff below 5.

I have all of it, but still can't install, my g1 stuck in bootloader :(( :((

jeff72k

Jul 20, 2011
I have all of it, but still can't install, my g1 stuck in bootloader :(( :((

Is recovery working? If so, you can go to this link about the 2708 kernel mod and see the section:
"If you just temporarily need an engineering SPL (and recovery is working):".

Note: You would flash ENG SPL 1.33.2003 instead of Danger SPL 1.33.2005 (though as per that sites instructions, if you have the correct radio, you should be able to use Danger SPL 1.33.2005 also).

I have not had to do this myself, though. Good luck!

fleity

Jan 3, 2009
i love this rom so far, really awesome. especially the density setting oh how i love to have more space on the screen. BUT

i keep getting bootloops or even stuck while booting apparently most of the time after installing the HTC_IME or GApps. did you ever experience anything like this? because this is sadly definitly a reason to chose another rom.

does anyone have any tipps what i could maybe do to fix this?

jeff72k

Jul 20, 2011
i love this rom so far, really awesome. especially the density setting oh how i love to have more space on the screen. BUT

i keep getting bootloops or even stuck while booting apparently most of the time after installing the HTC_IME or GApps. did you ever experience anything like this? because this is sadly definitly a reason to chose another rom.

does anyone have any tipps what i could maybe do to fix this?

Does it do this if you don't install the HTC_IME or GApps?

You can install the other Google applications from the Android Market.

I have never gotten any bootloops nor stuck during booting.

fleity

Jan 3, 2009
20 crash and backup restores later i did the only reasonable thing. i wiped everything again, redownloaded the rom and gapps and installed everything again. so far everything went finde and thinking about it there might be a slight chance that i tried to install the gapps for cm6/froyo. if that even makes a difference.

however what really seems to bother many apps (and especially the htc ime) is the compatibility setting. some apps (ok mostly games) don't run or look terribly chaotic when compatibility mode is deaktivated and surprisingly even the htc ime works better with comp mode on. however then it is small on not usable at all.
i will try this on and off fix http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=825875 hopefully that works. or is there another method to make non-full screen apps resize with the density setting? (hah "have you tried turning it off and on again")

apart from these compatibility settings issues everything seems to work.

FeintDoxx

Feb 24, 2013
Aurora
This is a great rom. only thing is that the "notification" button when menu is pressed was replaced so i cant access my notification because i relied on that because my digitizer is messed up and cant pull down the not. bar.
Anyone know an alternative way to access my not. bar?
I'm planning on replacing it, but not for a while.

EDIT: Never mind this ROM just got more amazing. Just saw the Action bindings!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ginger yoshi (Android 2.3.5) install guide for T-Mobile G1 (32B version)

I did not make Ginger yoshi.
    The official Ginger yoshi ROM information is at this link: Ginger yoshi
    Read the above linked site before you proceed below.

I am posting this to try to help those interested in installing Ginger yoshi on their T-Mobile G1 (32B version).
    I am not a pro nor a newb but somewhere in between at this stuff.
    Ginger yoshi is my daily ROM of choice now. It allows me to run Android 2.3.5 on my old T-Mobile G1. Some day i'll get a new phone but for now I don't need to.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. IF YOU DO SOMETHING WRONG, YOU CAN BRICK YOUR PHONE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
    (More specifically, if you combine the wrong radio and SPL HBOOT version, you can brick your phone. Make sure you read the SPL HBOOT instructions closely)

Notes:
    Fastboot mode:
    Shows phone version information: tells you if you have a 32B G1, shows current HBOOT version and RADIO version, and if your phone is S-ON or S-OFF.
    Also, when Engineering SPL or DangerSPL is installed, fastboot mode allows you to run fastboot command from your PC when G1 is connected via USB cable and Android SDK is installed on PC.
    To boot phone to Fastboot mode - turn off phone - hold back button down and press power button
    Recover mode:
    Once Amon_Ra's Recovery is installed, recovery allows for things including:
    USB-MS toggle (allow you to USB cable your computer to the phone and copy files to the SD card on the phone while in recovery mode)
    Backup/Restore
    Flash zip from sdcard
    Wipe
    Partition sdcard
    etc...
    To boot phone to Recovery mode - turn off phone - hold home button down and press power button
    Verify the MD5 values of your files to make sure your files downloaded correctly.
    I used Marxio File Checksum Verifier to do this (Windows client). You can get it here: http://download.cnet.com/Marxio-Fil...10913355.html?tag=dropDownForm;productListing

1) Root your T-Mobile G1, install Amon_Ra's Recovery, and install Radio version 2.22.23.02
    See here for the above tasks: HTC Dream: Rooting Note: I used Traditional Method.

2) Install the Engineering SPL HBOOT-1.33.2003 (or install the DangerSPL HBOOT-1.33.2005):
    Note: It has been mentioned that it is safer to use the Engineering SPL instead of DangerSPL (in case you are accidently on the old 1.x radio).
    You need either the Engineering SPL HBOOT-1.33.2003 or the DangerSPL HBOOT-1.33.2005 next.
    The Engineering SPL HBOOT-1.33.2003 is safer because it works with Radios version 1.x and 2.x only
    The DangerSPL HBOOT-1.33.2005 will work with Radio versions 2.x and 3.x only.
    The T-Mobile G1 shipped with Radio version 1.x in the U.S.
    You should have upgraded your radio to version 2.22.23.02 above.
    I do not have experience using the Engineering SPL HBOOT-1.33.2003 but you can figure out the instructions from the link below.
    If you use the Engineering SPL, you do not need to use DangerSPL HBOOT-1.33.2005 below.

Enter fastboot mode to verify what RADIO you have installed - fastboot mode - turn off phone - hold back button and press power button
    MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE 2.22.23.02 RADIO BEFORE DOING THIS:

Install the Engineering SPL HBOOT-1.33.2003: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=6510019&postcount=76
    Example (should work, have not tried):
    Connect phone to USB cable and computer
    Get spl_1_33_2003.zip file extracted from g1boot.zip from above link.
    Boot phone to Recovery mode - turn off phone - hold home button down and press power button
    Select USB-MS toggle on phone
    Copy spl_1_33_2003.zip to phone SD card
    After copy finishes do "Safely remove hardware and eject media" and eject Android phone connection on PC.
    Press Home button on phone to disable USB-MS
    Select Flash zip from sdcard
    Select the spl_1_33_2003.zip file you just put on your SD card.
    Allow SPL 1.33.2003 to install.
    When done, select Power off option.
    Continue onto step 3 below.
    or
    Install the DangerSPL HBOOT-1.33.2005: Installing DangerSPL

3) Install the Android SDK onto your computer (needed for fastboot Command Prompt command)
    Main site for Android SDK: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

If you are interested in Android development, you can install the Java JDK and Eclipse if you want, but not needed to install Ginger Yoshi:
    Optional: Install the latest Java JDK x86 version: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
    Example: jdk-6u26-windows-i586.exe (Note: 64-bit didn't work for me with the Android SDK, I needed x86 version, even though using Windows 7 64bit)
    Optional: Install the latest Eclipse IDE for Java Developers from here: http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

Install the latest Android SDK from here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
    Example: android-sdk_r12-windows.zip
    Instructions here: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Howto:_Install_the_Android_SDK#Windows
    Example (using Windows 7 64bit):
    Unzip Android SDK directory to c:/
    Run c:/android-sdk-windows/SDK Manager.exe and then click on Install
    Install USB drivers - Available Packages - Third party Add-ons - Google Inc. add-ons - Google USB Driver package, revision 4 - Installed Selected
    Close SDK Manager
    Control Panel - System - Advanced system settings - Environment Variables - System variables - Path - Edit - Variable value - "End" key -
    append ;C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools;C:\android-sdk-windows\tools - OK - OK
    Enable USB Debugging on phone - Settings - Applications - Development - check USB debugging
    Plug phone in USB cable and then into computer.
    Command prompt - adb devices
    If no devices found, then: Control Panel - Device Manager - under Other devices right-click on Android Phone - Update Driver Software -
    Browse my computer for driver software - Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer - Show all devices - Have Disk -
    Browse - c:\android-sdk-windows\extras\google\usb_driver - android_winusb.inf - OK - Next
    Command prompt - adb devices
    You should see your phone listed as a device now.

4) Install the 2708+ kit, which includes the hboot 1.33.0013d and radio 2.22.28.25 (or radio 2.22.27.08 but I am currently using 2.22.28.25)
    Main site for 2708+ kit: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=831139
    Read the above linked site before you proceed below.

Get the files you need at the above link then verify the MD5 values:

Do steps 1 to 4 from the Installing section at above 2708+ kit link.
    Example:
    Make sure phone is connected to USB cable and computer
    From computer, open command prompt and cd to the directory where these files are:
    recovery-RA-dream-v1.7.0-cyan.img
    RADIO-2.22.28.25.img
    hboot-1.33.0013d.img
    Boot phone into fastboot mode: turn off phone - hold back button and press power button
    From Command Prompt on computer, type "fastboot devices" to verify you see phone serial number (if not, make sure phone is in fastboot mode)
    Command Prompt commands to run:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-RA-dream-v1.7.0-cyan.img
    fastboot flash radio RADIO-2.22.28.25.img
    fastboot flash hboot hboot-1.33.0013d.img
    fastboot reboot-bootloader
    # note new HBOOT-1.33.0013d and SHIP S-ON
    fastboot erase system -w
    fastboot erase boot

5) Install or Upgrade Ginger Yoshi:
    The official Ginger yoshi ROM information is at this link: Ginger yoshi
    Get the file you need at the above link then verify MD5: Example: ginger yoshi 1.5.zip
    Backup any application data and any files you want to save from your phones SD card.

Boot to recovery mode: turn off phone - hold home button and press power button
    Partition sdcard - Partition SD
    Swap-size = 0 MB : NONE
    Ext2-size = 512 MB
    Select upgrade SD ext2 to ext3
    Select upgrade SD ext3 to ext4
    Press back button to get back to main recovery menu
    Wipe
    Wipe data/factory reset
    Wipe Davilk-cache
    Wipe battery stats (/data/system/batterystats.bin)
    Wipe rotate settings
    Press back button to get back to main recovery menu
    Make sure USB cable is connected to phone and computer
    Select "USB-MS toggle"
    Copy current Ginger Yoshi zip file to SD card
    When copy is finished, select eject USB from computer
    Press Home button on phone to go back to recovery main menu
    Select "Flash zip from sdcard" and use current Ginger Yoshi zip file
    Press Home button to confirm
    Ginger yoshi will install, please wait. (This takes about 2 minutes to finish.)
    Yes - To install to EXT Partition
    Yes - To install Zeam Launcher
    Yes - Install a 60mb swap on ext (This takes about 1 minute to finish.)
    No - for smaller (new)
    Smaller LCD density (140 setting), (no for higher phone resolution...you can see more on your phone screen)
    Note: If you have good near sited vision, use Smaller. If not, use Larger (default).
    Note: If you use smaller density, in Spare parts application UNCHECK Compatibility Mode
    Select "Power off" option when available and press Home button to confirm
    Press power button to boot new ROM. NOTE: The first boot takes about 4 minutes to boot. Ginger Yoshi does not always boot this slow.

Performance Improvements:
    Settings - YoshiMod Settings - Performance:
    CPU settings:
    Min CPU frequency = 352 MHz
    Max CPU frequency = 528 MHz (or 576 if wanted)
    Set on boot: Checked
    Compcache RAM Usage: Disabled
    Use JIT: Checked
    Enable surface dithering: Not checked
    Allow purging of assets: Checked
    Lock Home in memory: Checked
    Lock messaging app in memory: Checked
    VM heap size: 24m

Settings - YoshiMod Settings - Display
    uncheck Screen-off animation

Spare Parts application settings:
    Window animations - Fast
    Transition animations - Fast
    Compatibility Mode - Uncheck (if using the Smaller LCD density option)

Battery Improvements:
    Enable 3G/2G toggle: Settings - YoshiMod Settings - Interface - Notification power widget - Widget buttons - Toggle 2G/3G
    Scroll down notification bar and turn off these until you actually need them:
    3G
    BlueTooth
    GPS
    WiFi

Other Optional Adjustments:
    Disable vibrate on calls: Settings - Call settings - uncheck both Vibrate on answer and Vibrate on hangup

Copy "media" directory to SD card (for more ring tones and such)
    Old Ginger Yoshi version RC7 came with more notifications and ring tones. If you download the old RC7 version zip file, you can extract the system/media/audio notifications and ringtones directories. Then you can put extra notifications and ringtones on sd card then reboot phone to have them enabled.
    Example, put them here on SD card:
    /media/audio/notifications
    /media/audio/ringtones

Set Default ring tones and alert sounds
    Set Alarm clock settings and alarm tones
    Set Blue Tooth sync with car again

Zeam Home launcher (if you enabled Smaller LCD density):
    From Zeam Home screen - press MENU - Preferences - Workspace:
    Content Grid:
    Columns - 5
    Rows - 5

Install:
    Dropbox - easy way to share files between your PC and Android phone. See https://www.dropbox.com/ for the PC software.
    Voice Search

Change boot animation to Nexus S boot animation:
    I like the Nexus S boot animation which was in the Ginger Yoshi 1.2.1 ROM version.
    The boot animation consists of a file called bootanimation.zip. In order to change it, you will need to copy the new one to the /system/media location on your phone. However, you need root access to write to /system/media on your phone. I use the free application ES File Explorer to make this change.
    1) Copy the Nexus S /system/media/bootanimation.zip file, which you can extract from the Ginger yoshi 1.2.1.zip file, to your phone SD card.
    2) Install and use ES File Explorer to rename your old /system/media/bootanimation.zip file on your phone.
    Start ES File Explorer and click MENU button and then Settings
    Scroll down the settings to Root Explorer
    Check Root Explorer and read the info then click Yes
    Click Allow for Superuser Request.
    Check Mount File System.
    Press back button on phone.
    Press the top left button on ES File Explorer to go to the root / directory.
    Scroll down and press on the system directory then the media directory.
    The top of ES File Explorer should now show the path /system/media/
    Long press on the bootanimation.zip icon and then select rename. Add .bak to the file name and then click OK.
    3) Copy Nexus S bootanimation.zip to your phones /system/media using ES File Explorer
    Press the top left button on ES File Explorer again to go to your SD Card. Find the Nexus S bootanimation.zip file and long press on it and then select copy.
    Press the top left button on ES File Explorer again to go to the root / directory.
    Scroll down and press on the system directory then the media directory.
    The top of ES File Explorer should now show the path /system/media/
    Scroll the bottom button up in ES File Explorer. Press on the Nexus S copy of bootanimation.zip file. The Nexus S bootanimation.zip should now be in your phones /system/media directory.
    To prevent accidentally breaking something in your phone directories, I suggest you now go to ES File Explorer MENU - Settings again and uncheck both Mount File System and Root Explorer.
    Once you reboot the phone, you should now see the Nexus S boot animation.

Referenced links:
    Ginger Yoshi
    Marxio File Checksum Verifier for MD5 checking
    SPL HBOOT 1.33.2003
    Android SDK
    2708+ enabled kernel (hboot 1.33.0013d and radio version 2.22.28.25)
    HTC Dream (ROOT)
    Ginger Yoshi Tutorial on YouTube <- This is not my video
    New Android Market <- This is only needed with Ginger Yoshi 1.2.1 and older.

Ginger yoshi observations:
    I am running ginger yoshi 1.5 (as of 2011-0912).

Fix for: Android Market update won't allow some applications to be installed:
    These applications won't install for me with Ginger Yoshi 1.5 after the Android Market application is automatically updated:
    Google Maps
    Shazam
    T-Mobile My Account
    Wifi Analyzer
    When I go to the Android Market web site to try to install the above applications, it says this: "This app is incompatible with your T-Mobile HTC Sapphire/dream."
    You can uninstall the new Android Market update by going here:
    Settings - Applications - Manage applications - All - Market - Uninstall updates
    After this finished, I was able to install all of the above applications using the old Android Market on my phone.
    The Market will try to update again later, unless you do the following:
    Disable the automatic update of the Android Market application:
    Open "Terminal Emulator" application and then type in the following two lines (allow the super user request popup):
    su
    pm disable com.android.vending.updater
    Optional: Show all disabled packages (to verify updater is disabled, if you want):
    pm list packages -d
    See also: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1214073
    See also, also: http://www.xinotes.org/notes/note/1446/

It takes awhile for the web based Android Market to link phone, in case you want to install applications from the web site http://www.android.com/market/.

I seem to have issues sometimes with Ginger yoshi where some apps crash (Example: The Weather Channel) but this seem to clear up if I power off then power on my phone again. Not sure if it is Ginger yoshi or the apps. This happens every week or two or so.

I will update this as good suggestions come up.

Hopes this helps people,

Jeff72k
    @jeff72k: Yes, it is. It has the same fastboot capabilities, but supports 1.x and 2.x radio and has the same partition layout as the original G1 SPL. So it's more compatible to the original G1 configuration.

Sent from my Gingerbread on Dream using XDA App
    @Khizzer: I have the same boot loop problem, I'm using SenseLX rom before and here what I did to fix it:
    - Download FR-remove v1.5.6 and Superwipe from this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1098899
    - Boot into recovery; enable USB and copies those two files to SD card.
    - Choose "Flash from SD card"; run FR remove first, then Superwipe
    - POWER OFF, then boot into recovery and follow step 5
    This rom runs faster than the SenseLX plus it's 2.3.1 so I can move apps to SD card
    Here's a new boot animation for ds, sparks boot =)

fireArt.gif