[INFO][LG P920/SU760]Recoveries: GB or ICS? Bootloaders. Recovery loop.

Search This thread

lelouch31

Aug 10, 2013
San Fernando
Thanks

Sorry, I can't answer that! All I know is that Promethius wouldn't flash correctly on my P920 with CWM6, so I had to use CWM5.

Sent from the 3rd dimension!

In AIO is it CWM5? I really really want to install prometheus rom. :( oh another question is there no problem reading the sdcard in that cwm? because when I use rom manager and install the cwm there i luckily install a cwm but unfortunately it cannot read the sdcard it said cannot mount sdcard maybe because i use p920 there right?

To be honest, I don't remember. Just try and see. I'm on vacation, so I can't even run the tool to remember!
I really really want to install prometheus rom. :( oh another question is there no problem reading the sdcard in that cwm?
If you install ICS CWM, you'll be able to read your sdcard normally.
because when I use rom manager and install the cwm there i luckily install a cwm but unfortunately it cannot read the sdcard it said cannot mount sdcard maybe because i use p920 there right?
Right!

lelouch31

Aug 10, 2013
San Fernando
Thanks!

To be honest, I don't remember. Just try and see. I'm on vacation, so I can't even run the tool to remember!

If you install ICS CWM, you'll be able to read your sdcard normally.

Right!

Thanks a lot! or can i flash rom other than prometheus? what can you suggest? and can i perform a full backup? another question.I downloaded the loop breaker from my phone not from the computer. can i directly flash it without putting it to the computer. Can I flash it directly from my sdcard? Thanks a lot! i really wanna get over with this korean apps and sms limit :((

lelouch31

Aug 10, 2013
San Fernando
cwm

I Flashed the rom [ROM][ICS][V30A][P920/P925/SU760][10/06/2013]OptimusRS ICS ROM V1 using the cwm in this tool but after flashing it stuck at lg silver boot logo before i flash that i first upgrade it to v30b

I Flashed the rom [ROM][ICS][V30A][P920/P925/SU760][10/06/2013]OptimusRS ICS ROM V1 using the cwm in this tool but after flashing it stuck at lg silver boot logo before i flash that i first upgrade it to v30b

You are trying to directly flash a p920 rom to a su760. That is simply wrong! I've seen there is a patch (by Acura I think) somwhere in the threads. If you search a little, I'm sure you'll find it.

Thanks a lot! or can i flash rom other than prometheus? what can you suggest? and can i perform a full backup? another question.I downloaded the loop breaker from my phone not from the computer. can i directly flash it without putting it to the computer. Can I flash it directly from my sdcard? Thanks a lot! i really wanna get over with this korean apps and sms limit :((

1. You can flash any rom compatible with your su760. I can't suggest one because I have a p920, so i wouldn't know what works for you.
Edit: Now that I think about it, this ICS ROM by Master OptimusRS has a patch for su760. I'm sure you'll be happy with it!

2. Yes you can use CWM to backup and restore your rom.

3. Just keep the Loop Breaker in your card but don't flash it if you don't have a recovery loop!

Last edited:
Reactions: lelouch31

lelouch31

Aug 10, 2013
San Fernando
Help Again

1. You can flash any rom compatible with your su760. I can't suggest one because I have a p920, so i wouldn't know what works for you.
Edit: Now that I think about it, this ICS ROM by Master OptimusRS has a patch for su760. I'm sure you'll be happy with it!

2. Yes you can use CWM to backup and restore your rom.

3. Just keep the Loop Breaker in your card but don't flash it if you don't have a recovery loop!

Don't say "Thanks"! Hit the button!

It didnt work for me it stuck again at lg silver logo. i tried to backup it and it is ok but after i flash that rom and want to restore it says md5 mismatch? any help? i always revert back my phone to stock from v10g to v20f to v30b i am really tired i spent almost a day doing those things repeatedly.:crying:

It didnt work for me it stuck again at lg silver logo. i tried to backup it and it is ok but after i flash that rom and want to restore it says md5 mismatch? any help? i always revert back my phone to stock from v10g to v20f to v30b i am really tired i spent almost a day doing those things repeatedly.:crying:

After you make a backup, you mustn't move or rename it! On the other hand you can use TWRP and disable md5 generation.

MasterTobi

Feb 3, 2013
a rooted phone is not a reason to lost your warranty. (in germany) But before you give the phone to the service, try to bring it back to the normal state, or factory reset, or reflash it. There is surely a tutorial for your phone =)

brajesh.sharma87

Jan 27, 2011
Kolkata
Unfortunately I am reporting a bug.

after flashing the "universal recovery loop" zip the phone boots fine in the current rom. And obviously the recovery is lost and we need to reflash the recovery. But as soon as I flash any recovery it again goes into recovery loop.

So the conclusion I found till now is that if your phone goes to recovery loop once, it will keep going in recovery till it finds a recovery, if there is no recovery the rom will boot just fine.
@dreccon Please see if you have any solution.

Reactions: dreccon
Unfortunately I am reporting a bug.

after flashing the "universal recovery loop" zip the phone boots fine in the current rom. And obviously the recovery is lost and we need to reflash the recovery. But as soon as I flash any recovery it again goes into recovery loop.

So the conclusion I found till now is that if your phone goes to recovery loop once, it will keep going in recovery till it finds a recovery, if there is no recovery the rom will boot just fine.

@dreccon Please see if you have any solution.

I was afraid of this, but nobody had reported it! Thanks for doing so. This puts me into thinking: Is the "recovery flag" kept in the kernel? If so, then reflashing your kernel after having wiped cache and dalvik should fix the loop. Otherwise, I have another loopbreaker specifically for ICS v28a/v30a which definitely works. You will find it in my flashing guide. Ofcourse, if your ROM is not based on official ICS, it will fail to boot. If you need to loopbreak another ROM, use the p920 ICS breaker and replace the boot.img in the zip with the one you're using. That should fix it!

___
It's always nice to say thanks,
but it's waaay better to hit it!

Last edited:

brajesh.sharma87

Jan 27, 2011
Kolkata
I successfully came out of the recovery loop and have made some conclusion. Will edit this post tomorrow with those. Its 3am here in India and I am feeling too sleepy after all these experiments.

Thanks @dreccon for everything, your passion to help others is really appreciatable. P.S. dont remove the universal loop breaker for now. We will discuss about that tomorrow. Good Night :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As of 28/12/2013, I no longer have this phone. My threads will stay open for all who want to assist others. I've had a great time being a member of the O3D community, so thank you all!
    For questions, requests or any other remarks, please don't send me PM, I will not answer. Instead, please post properly in the thread, so that anybody can read and benefit or even assist.

Should I use GB or ICS custom recovery?
    A lot of people have been asking which is the right recovery to use with their ROM. There is a lot of misconception in this area. Even the question in the title is wrong cause there's no such thing as a GB or ICS Recovery! So, let's clear things up:

It is important to know that recovery is independent of the Android version you are using. It only depends on the device you have (KitKat which has SELinux activated may need a newer recovery that supports this feature). ICS recoveries are mistakenly called that way because they are compatible with the ported SU760 partition layout which happened to be the first ICS for P920. So, to be correct, instead of GB and ICS, we should be calling them P920 and SU760 recoveries respectively.

To be more specific, SU760 (ICS) recoveries look for the Internal SD in partition 16 of the partition table, whereas P920 recoveries look for it in partition 15. This is actually the only difference between the two. All other functions are exactly the same. The problem is that if you use the wrong recovery, it won't be able to read your internal SD, simply because it will expect to find it in the wrong place!

Conclusion:
    You use a P920 (GB) recovery no matter if you are running official LG Gingerbread, CM7, official LG ICS (v28b, v30a), CM10, CM10.1 etc. as long as you have a P920 partition table.
    You use a SU760 (ICS) recovery only if you have a true Korean O3D, if you are using XBSA ported ICS, or any other ROM on top of that partition layout.
    And one more thing: Xbsall's large partition layout is NOT SU760. It is standard P920, just larger!

2nd init recovery:
    Now, since I mentioned Xbsall, to make things a little more complicated, I should mention that prerooted Xbsall's ROMs come equipped with Milaq's 2nd init recovery. This is "hacky" way to have recovery installed in the system partition instead of the normal recovery partition. This has the advantage that it is compatible with locked stock ICS bootloaders. So, if you have 2nd init recovery, you don't need to install Wkpark's bootloaders, but you must never format your System partition because you'll wipe your recovery with it!

Bootloaders:
    This brings us to the bootloader discussion. GB bootloaders were unlocked, so there was no problem running custom recoveries or kernels. Stock ICS bootloaders (both P920 and SU760), on the other hand, are locked and won't accept any recovery (except 2nd init) or kernel other than stock. For this reason, if you have flashed ICS, you need to flash Wkpark's v1.25a unlocked bootloader. It doesn't matter what you flash first, as long as you flash both bootloader and recovery.
    The trade with Wkpark's bootloaders is that, because they were built for the SU760 (Korean O3D), there are minor problems when using on the P920. When you shutdown your phone, it turns back on by itself. If you remove your battery, as soon as you put it back, the phone will turn on. You can only shut the phone off if you keep power pressed for about 10sec. Then, while the phone is finally off, if you plug it to a charger or to a PC via USB, it will turn back on! In my opinion, this is problem is really minor and having unlocked bootloaders is totally worth it!

RECOVERY LOOP:
    Another problem that may arise from the use of custom bootloader and recoveries is the "Recovery Loop". If you use, for example, ROM Manager to Reboot to recovery or if you use the "Factory Reset" menu option in Android settings, your phone may keep rebooting to recovery, even if you select to reboot to system. This happens because the "Recovery Flag" doesn't get properly cleared. I don't know where this flag is located, so I can't force it to clear, but there is a workaround!
    1. Download P920_ICS_RecoveryLoop_Breaker.zip to your computer. If you are using stock ICS (or a custom ROM with stock ICS Kernel) keep it as it is and jump to step 4
    2. Unzip the loop breaker and replace the file "boot.img" with the one from the CustomROM.zip or the CustomKernel.zip you are using.
    3. Zip up your modified LoopBreaker.
    4. While your phone is in recovery, connect it via USB, select to mount SD to computer and copy the zip to the phone. Eject from computer.
    -- (Alternatively, if you have a Card Reader, you may put your ExternalSD card directly to your PC and copy the file)
    5. Flash the zip and reboot.
    6. After you boot to Android, you need to flash your custom recovery again because this procedure has wiped it.
    This workaround won't work without Wkpark's bootloader.
    Big thanks to @lzzar for giving me the idea how to break the loop!
    WARNING: THIS LOOP BREAKER IS FOR THE LG OPTIMUS 3D (P920/P925/SU760). USING IT ON ANY OTHER PHONE WITHOUT PROPER MODIFICATION WILL MOST PROBABLY BRICK IT!
    Recently, XDA member @kanish alexander ps used the loop breaker on his P725 and it worked as expected. So, although I have no personal experience, I guess it is safe to use it on LG P720/P725s.

I hope I have helped you understand a few things about your phone. So, now that you have a better understanding, go ahead and flash the correct recovery and bootloader. One easy way is OS_Hacking's Tool.

Flash away folks!
    Added link to OS_Hacking's Tool. It's one of the easiest and most complete ways to flash bootloaders and recoveries and the only one for unrooted phones!

Sent from my dual-booting ICS/JB O3D!
    Included some info about Milaq's 2nd init recovery and a few more things about bootloaders.

Great info man for people to shy to ask

Sent from my 3D phone.
    So for a P920 updated to ICS via LG update, in order to successfully root using AIO tool is this the correct sequence/ procedure.
    Load omap drivers change drivers via device manager, run AIO tool connect phone without battery [is vol+ needed here to connect?]
    1 install wkparks 1.2 bootloader.
    2 disconnect phone
    3 connect phone [vol+ needed here or not?] and run AIO tool again
    4 select a GB recovery
    5 copy s_u_gazhead zip to phone ext SD card
    6 connect battery and boot into recovery...vol- plus 3Dkey plus power, keep holding vol- and 3D until recovery screen appears...

Question what do I select to FLASH the zip, is there a menu item in recovery that you select to FLASH a zip. No mention of it so far in any of the tutorials.
    Question which of the GB recovery's is best to use and what is the difference.

I am sure am not alone in needing this information before risking bricking the phone especially users with W7 orW8 pc's
    My thanks to the developers here for there input and adssistance given to us learners.

Download AIO v1.2
    Install drivers from AIO tool.
    Run the tool.
    Open Device Manager
    Connect phone without battery (no keys pressed)
    (on 1st connection, look for OMAP device constantly connecting and disconnecting, right click on it and direct to install drivers from AIO Tool again)
    The tool detects the phone. Within 5sec connect battery.
    While using the tool, you don't need to disconnect the phone. You can flash bootloader and recovery in one go.
    It's a matter of preference which recovery you install. I like TWRP because it has command line and I use it to partition my external SD for DualBoot without using ADB.
    Just select "Install" and select Gazhead's zip.
    Reboot and you're good to go!