Does anybody really pay to root?

Search This thread

Toxin715

Nov 19, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I was at the mall a few days ago and this shop was advertising a special to root/jailbreak iphones and android phones for 40 bucks, does anybody actually do this??

ZachPA

Apr 30, 2009
They do. Just look at the price premium paid for jailbroken iPhones on eBay as compared to non-jailbroken iPhones. But that's the iPhone. I would wager that as a whole, people who buy Android phones have a higher rate of self-rooting and less use for such a service.

Toxin715

Nov 19, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
well from what i saw it was 25 to 40. But damn really it makes me mad that people would charge that much to do something that can be done without professional help. I mean i will only charge 5 bucks if i'm super busy with my day and if I have nothing going on that day i'll do it for free.

housry23

Sep 23, 2009
Springfield, OH
I charge people $10 to root their phones for them. It's funny that folks don't want to take the time to read and are scared of bricking their device, so for some reason they trust a complete stranger to root their phone for them. I charge $10 and donate $5 of that to whatever Rom I put on the phone and to whoever created the rooting process I used because obviously I didn't invent this thing called rooting. I also donate my own money to the rooting method I use and to CM monthly, so really I doubt I am turning a profit, but it is fun to research and root all kinds of different phones.

Reactions: bgordon1983

Toxin715

Nov 19, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Yea I only charge the 5 to 10 to buy myself food, because be a broke college guy isn't that fun:p

But yea when people tell me to jailbreak their iphone and i tell them it cost nothing they are shocked lol.

Rooting is pretty fun to me especially when i get a phone i never have used before.

erik077

Jul 7, 2008
Elk Grove Village, Illinois
They do. I have offers from some people and some are offering up to $100 to do it (to unroot and setup couple small things), but i don't want to - simply is not about money... they don't deserve it ( i do this only for friends and not for money). Not everything is for sale, call me crazy to refuse that but that is my opinion.

Ysosrslawl

Sep 23, 2010
frederick
I have yet to see these type of offers anywhere, I run my own small computer business as a side job. I don't make any money tho cuz most of my clients are family and friends so I don't charge them. I would charge to root someone's phone but only after explaining to them that it can be done for free on their own, but I'd end up donating it like one of the other posters.

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App

rugedraw

Jun 25, 2010
Miami, FL
I've done it for a few people and charged varied amounts. My cousin didn't know I know I could do this, and he bought an Evo on eBay and paid someone $50 to root it and flash it to Metro for him. People will pay for just about anything.

omegasun18

Jun 14, 2010
pretty much all non hardware issues with most modern day electronics can be fixed for free with a little research and elbow grease. If you think rooting is expensive look at the pc repair shops. To restore your computer with disks most big box stores charge $160+ ... simply to run a few disks (or hit a few buttons if it is a partition). virus removal - 160-180$+ in most cases to boot into safe mode and run a few different virus scans and or restore your pc. Heck to install a piece of software most charge 30$ its crazy what people will pay for things that can be done relatively easy for a little bit of research and time.

TheSilverStig

Jul 21, 2010
Detroit
Yea I actually thought about doing this but I couldn't imagine charging more than 10 bucks for my time. It's not like I'm really doing any work, just some knowledge and time. I root my friends phones for fun. (samsung phones are crappy fyi :p)

sekigah84

Jan 14, 2009
New York City
Yeah it all comes down to a lack of research or the lack of confidence or both.

Android users generally are more computer savvy and will do it on their own but there are a lot of people out there that don't even know what rooting is or look at all the guides and have no idea what to do. Thats why I made one as simple as I could.

Testrunner

Jul 17, 2010
Highland
Rooting is one thing

Rooting is one thing. But installing a custom rom, putting the best Kernal for that rom, doing nandroid backups, installing any themes, updating radios, putting on gingerbread keyboard, backing up all apps and data prior and then restoring....ALL that can take a little over an hour or more depending on the phone.

And to some it is rocket science but to us its not. We have a skill set we gained from countless hours of reading and working on our own phones. For friends and family FREE, but anyone else, I have NO problem charging. But I do agree strongly with donating. I have donated to Fresh, Myn, Riptide, XDA, etc. to show my thanks.

Last edited:

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
pretty much all non hardware issues with most modern day electronics can be fixed for free with a little research and elbow grease. If you think rooting is expensive look at the pc repair shops. To restore your computer with disks most big box stores charge $160+ ... simply to run a few disks (or hit a few buttons if it is a partition). virus removal - 160-180$+ in most cases to boot into safe mode and run a few different virus scans and or restore your pc. Heck to install a piece of software most charge 30$ its crazy what people will pay for things that can be done relatively easy for a little bit of research and time.

you say this. But work a job like that talking to people who will pay for those kinds of services day in and day out, and you come to realize, that what seems like it should be easy for you, either makes no sense or is very hard for other people.

my job is in computer repair, and I am amazed at the things people think, or are afraid to do. for crying out loud, had a guy come in and tell me about how he used to "hack" some of the amiga computer systems, but then flipped and said, "oh but stuff has changed so much, I mean for example installing windows 7 on my computer was the hardest thing I have ever done!"

People would pay me for what I can do in 2 mins because it may take them 2 hours and they don't have the time or want the frustration...

just saying.

sand1303

Dec 22, 2007
I have yet to see these type of offers anywhere, I run my own small computer business as a side job. I don't make any money tho cuz most of my clients are family and friends so I don't charge them. I would charge to root someone's phone but only after explaining to them that it can be done for free on their own, but I'd end up donating it like one of the other posters.

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App

Look at Craigslist. There are plenty of ads.

Sent from my rooted HTC EVO using the xda app!

Phateless

Aug 22, 2010
Oakland
www.llinkedin.com
I thought about doing this part time for fun since I'm not working at the moment but don't really want to deal with other people's phones, especially if there are problems down the line.

I have donated to every developer whose work I use and will continue to do so. If I ever do take money to root a phone I like the idea of donating half of it to the developer of the ROM/root method.

Toxin715

Nov 19, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Yea when i root someone's phone i usually put a new rom and delete all of the bloatware apps. Then just add some cool little things like a new keyboard. Most of the time tho they just want a new theme and free wifi tethering. Something else i'm learning to do is to root windows 7 phones. Has anyone had an experience with a windows phone yet?

fixxxer2008

Jun 22, 2008
West Michigan
I was at the mall a few days ago and this shop was advertising a special to root/jailbreak iphones and android phones for 40 bucks, does anybody actually do this??

yup, they do. i made thousands of dollars rooting phones over the summer when i was out of work. all i had to do was run a craigslist ad and charge $30 per phone. i did tons of evo's and hero's. ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I charge people $10 to root their phones for them. It's funny that folks don't want to take the time to read and are scared of bricking their device, so for some reason they trust a complete stranger to root their phone for them. I charge $10 and donate $5 of that to whatever Rom I put on the phone and to whoever created the rooting process I used because obviously I didn't invent this thing called rooting. I also donate my own money to the rooting method I use and to CM monthly, so really I doubt I am turning a profit, but it is fun to research and root all kinds of different phones.